Discussions By Condition: Cancer

lymph node in neck

Posted In: Cancer 177 Replies
  • Posted By: student101
  • December 5, 2006
  • 10:18 PM

I've had a painless swollen lymph node in my neck, just under my jaw near my throat. I had NO symptoms of infection. I went to the doctor, and he said it feels soft and moveable, and barely swollen, and was pretty confident it wasn't cancer. He showed no real concern and just gave me antibiotics. Its about a month later and its still there (I do have a habit of touching it all the time). How worried should I be? I made another appointment, but just wanted a bit of feeback.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Hi. I have had a similar one..on my left side of my throat/neck..just under the jaw for about a year now..but mine hurts..it didnt hurt really in the beginning...but I have chronic sore throat now & 3 docs & no real answers & I am now on disability..so if you find anything out..please let me know..same here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 04:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Swollen lymph nodes mean, quite simply, that your body is fighting off an infection. Sometimes this infection is cancerous, sometimes not. When I was younger, I had a similar experience and I was certain it was cancer...turns out I was fighting off a stomach bug. :)
    eleven 55 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem and anitbiotics did nothing for months... I later was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma.... almost too late, as the cancer was almost into my abdomin. I'd have it checked by an ENT guy and at least a biopsy!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 09:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh no thats scary I have swollen lymph node in my neck,seen doctor twice anti biotics did nothing and ive had 2 lots of blood tests does lymphoma show up on there?Now I have pain in my left side under ribs.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 11:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Please go to eye ear and nose doctor or a head and neck cancer doctor . Have it checked out my husband had a lump that did not hurt that was treated with antibiotics and such turned out by the time they got it figured out it was stage 4 throat cancer he just died after 6 years fighting it. Not saying yours is but it needs to be looked at.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 03:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter had swollen non-tender lymphnodes in her neck and supra clavical area and she had a cough. I took her to the doctor three times before he did an x-ray and it showed a large mass in her chest. I took her to the emergency room with the x-ray and they immediately admitted her and she had stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma. Please do not wait if you have non tender swollen lymph nodes in your neck or armpits. We caught hers early and she only had it a couple of months before we found it and it was in her neck, tonsils, chest, supra-clavical (area where neck joins shoulder), under her rib cage and a spot on her shoulder blade. Just a warning. She was a healthy 16 year old who was not feeling ill other than the cough that she could not get rid of - the mass was pressing on her lung. I hate to think how far it would have spread if I had not been persistent in taking her to the doctor. Hers is a fairly rapid growing type of lymphoma. Good luck and trust your instint.
    Boldelly 6 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 04:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh no thats scary I have swollen lymph node in my neck,seen doctor twice anti biotics did nothing and ive had 2 lots of blood tests does lymphoma show up on there? Now I have pain in my left side under ribs. Have them do an x-ray insist on it what can it hurt. That is the only way we would have found my daughters Hodgkins. The earlier they catch cancer (if that is what it is) the better. She had no pain except for a cough and when they did push on her left side under her rib cage she did have pain, we thought it was from her coughing so much, but turns out the cancer was in her tonsils, neck, chest, under her left rib cage and on her shoulder blade. Do not wait, we caught her after two months and it is stage four. I just really imphasize (sp?) that you insist your doctor perform an x-ray and some blood work cuz her blood work just showed that she was just a little anemic. The x-ray is what raised the flags.Good luck and let us know what you find out.
    Boldelly 6 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 05:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh no thats scary I have swollen lymph node in my neck,seen doctor twice anti biotics did nothing and ive had 2 lots of blood tests does lymphoma show up on there?Now I have pain in my left side under ribs.Thats exactly the position i am in right now.The doctor said that my first blood test showed I had abnormal iron levels (he said that its possibly an iron deficiency) and that i also have low thyroid levels(he said that i possibly have low iodine stores).Im waiting on the next blood test results now, but he said that they were done to investigate further about my thyroid levels and to look at my blood cells more closely.Ive had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for a few months. And also in my groin. There in one in particular right below my clavicle that the doctor seemed to take more notice of. Has anyone else had this?I have also noticed that i have a small collection of lumps on one side of my head, right at the front. I first noticed 2 and now there seems to be 5 /6. The doctor didnt seem too concerned.Anyway, i am being sent to the haemotology department in the hospital to have my lymph nodes tested, but the doctor said they would hopefully see me in a couple of months? is this normal (i live in the u.k and am under the care of the NHS(national health service), our free health care service.Any info would be very appreciatedthanks!xxxxxxxx
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 03:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck now for several months. I wen to the doctor in December, and he gave me antibiotics,..but nothing happened to the knot. It doesn't hurt. I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac and jump to conclusions..but glands under my armpits have been swelling here lately too..but they actually hurt. The lump in my neck is still here and is about the size of a dime. Should I be concerned?
    hollyclay 1 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 05:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The body has alot of glands to it. Your doctor put you on the antibiotic to fight the infection. I've heard it can take up to six weeks for swollen glands to go back to their normal self after fighting an infection. I wouldn't be concerned just yet. Your doc knows whats going on and if it's still bothering you go back and address your concerns. Thats what they get paid for. You may need a second antibiotic. I wouldn't freak out just yet.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a very large lymph node on the left side of my neck. I am never sick, and was just not feeling quite right when I found it. I took antibiotics and it did nothing. The doctor saw swollen nodes on my cat scan. I just had a biopsy and am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My 13 year old little Had her Thyroid removed due to cancer. Its about 1 month since her radioactive iodine treatment. Now she has a swollen lymph node in the upper part of her neck under her jaw on the left side. She says it is a little sore.My question, is this unusual to have a swollen node so soon after surgery ? Or is this a result of the surgery or the radiation at work ? Dave
    filoman 1 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 05:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • None of this stuff makes sense. I have 6 or 7 swollen lymph nodes on my neck. I have been to two doctors. Once gave me antibiotics saying it was a sinus infection. The other said nothing is wrong. Blood counts are fine they said. I have had these for three months. They are not wanting to do a biopsy. Hearing all this malpractice on here is scary the crap out of me. I just don't get why they don't take it out right away and figure it out. It's probably going to be another 6 to 8 weeks before I finally figure out what I have and by that time it will probably be too late.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 09:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a lymph node in my neck and it doesn't swell up because i leave it alone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2007
    • 01:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had a painless swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck for about a year; assumed it was a by-product of a tooth abcess (now root canal treated).I also had a small lump at the back of the neck that I assumed was a cyst. Last Sunday this swelled up about 5 times the size and was painful to touch.My Doctor has prescribed an antibiotic which (after 3 days) has not made a great impact.I have booked ultrasound, a blood test and a biopsy. I should have gone down this route earlier as searching this symptom on Google brings up page after page of references to ailments like lymphoma and HIV.For peace of mind I would always recommend early diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 04:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone,It's a relief to find this message board and hear that I'm not the only one having issues with doctors taking me seriously. I've had swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck for two months now, as well as some at the base of my tongue that they found when I went to the ER for having trouble breathing (which has been going on for about a month and a half). Last week I found a lump in my right breast, and the doctors have done blood tests and x-rays and everything is coming up normal. They're trying to tell me I have anxiety, which is ridiculous because I think if anyone had these symptoms of trouble breathing and lumps everywhere they'd get nervous too!! The one blood test that was abnormal was called "lymphs". my levels were higher than the normal range. Does anyone know what that blood test means? I've tried searching online and have found nothing. I'm so scared. I have a breast ultrasound scheduled this week and a follow-up in a couple of days with the doctor to see if the inhaler they gave me is working. Anyone else have trouble breathing accompanied by swollen lymph nodes? I'm grateful for any response people may have.
    gnappulina 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Lymphatics. I have breast cancer (just diagnosed from swollen armpit lymph nodes removed.) The primary breast tumor didn't show up on the mammogram and the blood work was all normal. I may have just caught it really early as the primary is only about 5mm but had metasticised to the lymph system on that side so I was given lots of good notice. See if your insurance will pay for a PET scan. It will show any cancer anywhere in your body. My general doctor wasted some time with me up front too but it's reasonable for them to try the antibiotic route first as I'm sure it's much more common for these things to be infections than cancer. Good luck and the one thing I've learned in all of this is that YOU have to take control of your care. Don't assume everyone else is doing EVERYTHING they should be to make sure you live a long and happy life.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had this 1 lymph node/gland swollen to about 3/4" x 1" for about 18 months now. It is located under my chin on my left side before the neck. Its not the gland by the jaw joint. I had a Naet allergy treatment for Tree mix, and 2 days later this gland was swollen. After a few weeks the pain went away mostly, but it has been the same size for 18 months now. My allergies were severly bad for a long time. I still wear a mask outside and I can feel myself getting worse after 20 min outside. Also my allergies symptoms are neck and throat congestion. The gland has just started being sore more lately. I don't think its something really wrong, but i worry.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi there,Thanks so much for responding. I'm glad they caught your cancer early!! I hope your treatment is going well.Today I had another appointment and they're sending me for a CAT scan and follow-up with an ENT. I asked about the PET scan, and the doctor kind of looked at me funny, saying it was a last resort. Arrrgh. Oh, the doc didn't give me any antibiotics, just the prednisone a few weeks ago to make the lymph nodes go down (which of course they didn't).The soonest appointment with the ENT isn't until the end of April, so just more waiting for now, it seems.... :(Lymphatics. I have breast cancer (just diagnosed from swollen armpit lymph nodes removed.) The primary breast tumor didn't show up on the mammogram and the blood work was all normal. I may have just caught it really early as the primary is only about 5mm but had metasticised to the lymph system on that side so I was given lots of good notice. See if your insurance will pay for a PET scan. It will show any cancer anywhere in your body. My general doctor wasted some time with me up front too but it's reasonable for them to try the antibiotic route first as I'm sure it's much more common for these things to be infections than cancer. Good luck and the one thing I've learned in all of this is that YOU have to take control of your care. Don't assume everyone else is doing EVERYTHING they should be to make sure you live a long and happy life.
  • Hi there,I have another question for you - what convinced the doctors to do the PET scan? If they didn't catch the breast cancer with the mammogram, was it through the PET scan? Thanks,gnappulinaLymphatics. I have breast cancer (just diagnosed from swollen armpit lymph nodes removed.) The primary breast tumor didn't show up on the mammogram and the blood work was all normal. I may have just caught it really early as the primary is only about 5mm but had metasticised to the lymph system on that side so I was given lots of good notice. See if your insurance will pay for a PET scan. It will show any cancer anywhere in your body. My general doctor wasted some time with me up front too but it's reasonable for them to try the antibiotic route first as I'm sure it's much more common for these things to be infections than cancer. Good luck and the one thing I've learned in all of this is that YOU have to take control of your care. Don't assume everyone else is doing EVERYTHING they should be to make sure you live a long and happy life.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement