Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Urgent Diarrhea After Eating Out

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 33 Replies
  • Posted By: Luvmycat
  • May 8, 2009
  • 07:52 PM

Hi.
Not a pleasant subject....but I was wondering if anyone had this problem. Whenever we eat out, my husband has to run to the restroom with urgent diarrhea within 10-15 minutes. Very foul smelling and oil on top of the water. His pancreatic tests were normal.

This does not happen when we eat at home. And when we eat out, it doesn't matter if it's a plain roast beef sandwich on a bun with nothing on it, a buffet, or something off the menu. It's at no particular restaurant either.

We'd love to get to the cause of this. His follow-up with his GI dr isn't til 6/15 and that seems like a lifetime away. Thought I'd work on getting some feedback from some other folks.

Thanks,
Luvmycat

Reply Flag this Discussion

33 Replies:

• hi,i have the same problem and im 13ive been trying to figure out what it is for about 2-3 or 4 years nowand my family doesnt understand why i cant eat out at resturants so they have ago at me.:(will you let me know if theres anything about it i could know please?i cant seem to find a diagnosis anywherethanksgina xx
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Check out this web page. I've been dealing with this for years! I had my galbladder removed and it is worse! Check out Dr. Habba and Habba syndrome and this article. http://www.gihealth.com/newsletter/previous/038.html Hope this helps!
  • I could see if you had your gallblader removed then yeah. I haven't had mine removed and had this problem for going on 2 years now. I eat and then sometimes in the bathroom right after or it may take 5 or 10 min. but it's still the same diarrhea. I have posted about this myself and no one even replied to mine. I'm posting here cause I know what it's like to have this problem! I can't even go out somewhere any more unless its close to home. My parents have told me it's all in my head or it's nerves. I have had a colonoscopy done and everything was A ok there. The doctor that did it said that it might be instestinal. I tried to go back and think what would have cause this but I can't seem to come up with a answer. All I know is that I can't go anywhere with friends or family and it sucks. Please would someone if you know of anything let us know something about this.
    Nemesiscl 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi.Not a pleasant subject....but I was wondering if anyone had this problem. Whenever we eat out, my husband has to run to the restroom with urgent diarrhea within 10-15 minutes. Very foul smelling and oil on top of the water. His pancreatic tests were normal. This does not happen when we eat at home. And when we eat out, it doesn't matter if it's a plain roast beef sandwich on a bun with nothing on it, a buffet, or something off the menu. It's at no particular restaurant either. We'd love to get to the cause of this. His follow-up with his GI dr isn't til 6/15 and that seems like a lifetime away. Thought I'd work on getting some feedback from some other folks. Thanks,LuvmycatI'm 38 years of age and I have go through everytime I eat out or even dishes made by friends. I have been diagnosed with IBS it can cause diarrhea and or constipation
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2009
    • 08:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same exact problem. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2010
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG! I am a sufferer too!. I just returned from eating dinner out and am suffering. I don't have any pain but the terrible urgency to go badly after every meal I have (and sometimes while eating), no matter dining out or eating a home cooked meal. I have been having this problem for about 7-8 years and I'm 33 years old. I did have my gallbladder removed about 9 years ago and I'm wondering if that made a difference as I have never had this problem before in my life. I'm just tired of it and litterally drained. I can relate to all of you and am going to have myself checked out immediatly. I'll let everyone here know what my results are and what the diagnosis will be(hopefully there is one). Wishing u all well ,Gina.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2010
    • 11:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have the urge 15 minutes after eating. I just read another blog. It suggested that canola oil could be the culprit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2010
    • 08:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is such an issue for me as well. At first, it was having to use the bathroom as soon as we got home. I used to cry inside when my husband pulled into Blockbuster after dining out and I think I'm the only person in the world who was happy that they closed down.Now, I can't even finish the meal without getting up to use the bathroom. I dread walking into a rest room only to find one or two stalls and other people waiting. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to go out anywhere anymore because it could attack at any given moment. So far, the only cure I have found is to cut my food intake waaaayyyyy down. I've lost about 30 lbs. and feel good about that, but it's because I'm afraid to eat.
  • Being a Medical Student this is what I have found out about diarrhea after eating...In Diarrhea After Eating, the food and fluids you ingest pass too quickly or in too large an amount — or both — through your colon. The fluids aren’t sufficiently absorbed, and the result is a watery bowel movement. In addition, the lining of your colon may be inflamed or diseased, making it less able to absorb fluids.Children can have acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term) forms of diarrhea. Causes include bacteria, viruses, parasites, medications, functional disorders, and food sensitivities. Infection with the rotavirus is the most common cause of acute childhood diarrhea. Rotavirus diarrhea usually resolves in 5 to 8 days.Diarrhea is also classified as “osmotic,” “secretory,” or “exudative.”Exudative diarrhea refers to the presence of blood and pus in the stool. This occurs with inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, and several infections.Secretory diarrhea occurs when the body is releasing water into the bowel when it’s not supposed to. Many infections, drugs, and other conditions cause secretory diarrhea.Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body into the bowel. A common example of this is “dietetic candy” or “chewing gum” diarrhea, in which a sugar substitute, such as sorbitol, is not absorbed by the body but draws water from the body into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea.What Causes Diarrhea After Eating?The most common cause of diarrhea is a virus that infects the gut (stomach). The infection usually lasts for two days and is sometimes called “stomach flu” or “24 hour flu.”Diarrhea may also be caused by:•Infection by bacteria (the cause of most types of food poisoning)•Infections by other organisms•Eating foods that upset the digestive system•Allergies to certain foods•Medications•Radiation therapy•Diseases of the intestines (Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis)•Malabsorption (where the body is unable to adequately absorb certain nutrients from the diet)•Hyperthyroidism•Some cancers•Laxative abuse•Alcohol abuse•Digestive tract surgery•Diabetes•Competitive running•Food Poisoning
  • My 10 Suggestions - Have worked for me 1. Wear loose clothing around your waist and abdomen2. Avoid stressful restaurants, people and conversations3. Choose the low fat offering on the menu4. Eat only half of your meal - take the rest home or leave it5. Take one Pepto-Bismol tablet before and one after the meal. The kind you swallow not chew.6. Try drinking Classic Coca-Cola with your meal - not diet 7. If possible order white rice as a sidedish8. Take one Gas-X tablet with your meal - discreetly swallow with a sip of water9. Avoid Chocolate, Coffee and Nuts10. If you need to go don't try to wait - waiting causes worse spasms
  • In the mid 80's to mid 90's I too suffered from the urgency to go after eating out. It was horrible, the urgency, the cramps and knowing I couldn't go far without finding a restroom soon. I started monitoring what I was eating and how it affected me. After 2 weeks I discovered I had to be careful of tomato based products and not have it twice in a day or two days in a row. I diagnosed myself as having irritable bowel syndrome. I started taking Citracel or Metamucil every day and the problem went away. Basically, I wasn't taking in enough fiber and was eating foods that have been to processed which was making me run to the restroom. When you eat out you really don't know what they are putting in the food or how they are processing it, so be careful as to what you order. A few years ago I had my gallbladder removed and if I eat something that has to much fat in it then I'll be back to running to the bathroom. So watch the diet. Hi.Not a pleasant subject....but I was wondering if anyone had this problem. Whenever we eat out, my husband has to run to the restroom with urgent diarrhea within 10-15 minutes. Very foul smelling and oil on top of the water. His pancreatic tests were normal. This does not happen when we eat at home. And when we eat out, it doesn't matter if it's a plain roast beef sandwich on a bun with nothing on it, a buffet, or something off the menu. It's at no particular restaurant either. We'd love to get to the cause of this. His follow-up with his GI dr isn't til 6/15 and that seems like a lifetime away. Thought I'd work on getting some feedback from some other folks. Thanks,Luvmycat
    Sham8259 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I too have been dealing with this for years. However, it was happening before I had my gallbladder out and it continues to happen now. So I don't think it could be that bile salt thing, because it used to happen when I did have my gallbladder. I'm just so tired of it. The worst is that a few times in the past few years I've actually not made it to a bathroom in time. I am going to think about the MSG issues because it does happen way more often when eating out than at home. Actually ever since I switched to a low-fat diet, I've hardly had it happen at home at all, unless I eat a ton of high fiber foods. Those seem to be a trigger for me, too.I'm just glad to know I'm not alone.
    robin346 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Being a Medical Student this is what I have found out about diarrhea after eating...In Diarrhea After Eating, the food and fluids you ingest pass too quickly or in too large an amount — or both — through your colon. The fluids aren’t sufficiently absorbed, and the result is a watery bowel movement. In addition, the lining of your colon may be inflamed or diseased, making it less able to absorb fluids.Children can have acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term) forms of diarrhea. Causes include bacteria, viruses, parasites, medications, functional disorders, and food sensitivities. Infection with the rotavirus is the most common cause of acute childhood diarrhea. Rotavirus diarrhea usually resolves in 5 to 8 days.Diarrhea is also classified as “osmotic,” “secretory,” or “exudative.”Exudative diarrhea refers to the presence of blood and pus in the stool. This occurs with inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, and several infections.Secretory diarrhea occurs when the body is releasing water into the bowel when it’s not supposed to. Many infections, drugs, and other conditions cause secretory diarrhea.Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body into the bowel. A common example of this is “dietetic candy” or “chewing gum” diarrhea, in which a sugar substitute, such as sorbitol, is not absorbed by the body but draws water from the body into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea.What Causes Diarrhea After Eating?The most common cause of diarrhea is a virus that infects the gut (stomach). The infection usually lasts for two days and is sometimes called “stomach flu” or “24 hour flu.”Diarrhea may also be caused by:•Infection by bacteria (the cause of most types of food poisoning)•Infections by other organisms•Eating foods that upset the digestive system•Allergies to certain foods•Medications•Radiation therapy•Diseases of the intestines (Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis)•Malabsorption (where the body is unable to adequately absorb certain nutrients from the diet)•Hyperthyroidism•Some cancers•Laxative abuse•Alcohol abuse•Digestive tract surgery•Diabetes•Competitive running•Food PoisoningSounds like you are going to make a great doctor. Good luck to you and keep up the good work and being such a caring person!! Thanks for the information.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2010
    • 01:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi.Not a pleasant subject....but I was wondering if anyone had this problem. Whenever we eat out, my husband has to run to the restroom with urgent diarrhea within 10-15 minutes. Very foul smelling and oil on top of the water. His pancreatic tests were normal. This does not happen when we eat at home. And when we eat out, it doesn't matter if it's a plain roast beef sandwich on a bun with nothing on it, a buffet, or something off the menu. It's at no particular restaurant either. We'd love to get to the cause of this. His follow-up with his GI dr isn't til 6/15 and that seems like a lifetime away. Thought I'd work on getting some feedback from some other folks. Thanks,LuvmycatHello, I have been having the same problem for a while now. I thought it was just a spell but it has been going on for a long time. I have terrible gas after eating out and it is horrible if i can't get to a bathroom. I have to be really careful when we eat out. Some food is definitely worse than others. The problem seems to be worse if i drink a carbonated soda. I have been trying to drink unsweet tea and i don't have the problem as bad if at all. I know it sounds weird but you might have him try it. Please let me know if it works for him. I haven't been to the doctor yet but i have a feeling i am going to have to go... no pun intended lol. I am 38 and in pretty good shape otherwise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2010
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing. I found out it was a severe allergy to soybeans and all legumes for that matter! Most restaurants use vegetable oil, which is soybeanoil based. Avoiding this has solved my problems!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2010
    • 02:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I have been having the same problem for a while now. I thought it was just a spell but it has been going on for a long time. I have terrible gas after eating out and it is horrible if i can't get to a bathroom. I have to be really careful when we eat out. Some food is definitely worse than others. The problem seems to be worse if i drink a carbonated soda. I have been trying to drink unsweet tea and i don't have the problem as bad if at all. I know it sounds weird but you might have him try it. Please let me know if it works for him. I haven't been to the doctor yet but i have a feeling i am going to have to go... no pun intended lol. I am 38 and in pretty good shape otherwise.---------------HelloI have had IBS (irratble bowel syndrome)all my life, I am 57. I could never eat much sweets without getting a stomach. A couple years ago I started seeing a great gastro-intestinal doctor. He has helped me a lot now that I am lactose intolerant and have celiacs, no grains(boo-hoo). But, what I was going to say is, he told me since I have had trouble with eating sweets, I probably am missing that enzyme that helps people digest sugar. I never knew that all my 57 years! All of this is related to people with IBS, I have flare ups when I take antibiotics, sugar, sugar substitutes, too much stress, and the list goes on. Yes, I have had all the "intestinal" tests. I feel better if I stick to a simple diet, lots of rice, fresh fruits & veggies, and basic meats and potatoes. Lots of water, probiotic pills, extra salt, my multi-vitamin and metamucil pill. He has also put me on a 25 MG nortriptyline tablet once a night. I have good days and bad, but I keep on trucking alone!LindaBee
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 16, 2010
    • 06:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I could see if you had your gallblader removed then yeah. I haven't had mine removed and had this problem for going on 2 years now. I eat and then sometimes in the bathroom right after or it may take 5 or 10 min. but it's still the same diarrhea. I have posted about this myself and no one even replied to mine. I'm posting here cause I know what it's like to have this problem! I can't even go out somewhere any more unless its close to home. My parents have told me it's all in my head or it's nerves. I have had a colonoscopy done and everything was A ok there. The doctor that did it said that it might be instestinal. I tried to go back and think what would have cause this but I can't seem to come up with a answer. All I know is that I can't go anywhere with friends or family and it sucks. Please would someone if you know of anything let us know something about this.LONG STORY :) quickly after eating i get bathroom problems. My food is not absorbing correctly. Pain in right side wraps around to back.sometimes pain in belly button area. Nausea,sometimes if i am lucky costiption but mostly, loose foul smelling,some float change color.undigested food.Tongue problems after eating certain foods.looks like geographic tongue one doc said.They all know something is wrong but can't find the infection. I have a lot of test results but no cause? they just dont have time to find it!! Recent upper/lower scope shows some things but the gastro just moves on not really putting the pieces together.I saw the paperwork where it states things like narrowed lumen had to use smaller scope and duodenum appeared atrophic. But gastro said nothing. The gastro's assistant(teaching hospital) mentioned increased lymph cells.I looked up info and cells are usually everywhere but studies on PUBMED where increased number without villi damage could still be celiac but everything is nothing. My point is, they move onto new things when they don't find an emergency in my test results. Pcp thought it was liver cause of high lipase.Most recent (celiac seems to fit) but gastro said he wants more tests. LOTS of blood work. so i said can i wait till next visit my arms are tired :) My pcp read many things in my catscan but did not listen at the beggining when i asked her"should my kidneys be different sizes"? she said, that is normal and then my CATSCAN and other test results:kidney defect?,liver lesion(hemangioma)mild heart attack,no appendix,mild gerd,WBC: high neutrophil,low eosinophil,zero basophil.....cant remember all of it. OMG just write a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LESSON LEARNED: The little things are part of the puzzle. YOu won't have a complete picture if you throw out any pieces.The lack of concern for the "slightly abnormal" is just the reading at the time when i felt ok. I can't ever get in when i feel like crap and can't hold my food long enough to be nourished.(i have tried to think how do i get a little constipated.HA HA! The immodium medicine cause bad problems, i get more results with food.Loosing weight,multiple indoor/outdoor allergies. From the beggining i said i would like food allergy testing. Hopefully the next visit.**$%#@!Whatever it is, has caused damage. figured out that the water i had consumed 3days before hospital admittance was contaminated with ecoli. This could have caused or added to the damage. Oh well for now it is wheat allergy. I did feel better off the wheat but same result with other foods that are on the top food allergy list. seems to be my immune system. I have to eat something.I am so hungry and sometimes when i see a new student doc??? they mention are u eating enough. Hey monkey,Look for signs if you are going to blame me!!!! I have always been small my whole life and never went to the doc unless necessary.I have been going often ever since my first ever ER visit in 5- 2009 It is making it very hard to work." BACK TO WORK,BACK TO WORK,"the doc said.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2010
    • 03:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had diarrhea problems for many years. I once was trapped in a drivers education car with two other students and a teacher for 1 1/2 hrs with the worst possible cramps..i had to hold it for the whole time and I finally get to the restroom and I relaxed too much as I enter the stall and yeah... I blame two things for mine. 1. Greasy foods (high in fat grams) examples anything Deep fried, pepperoni pizza, chocolate chip cookies etc (Junk food basically)2. Stressful situations (nerves) such as in the drivers ed car...(this one is tricky & hard to plan for)If I go to a restaurant I can tell if the food is greasy, I know if something is going to bother me if you can clearly see grease oozing out of it. While it may taste good, I just have to avoid it. The hard part is when something has more "fat" or grease than you realize. So I rarely eat out. It really isn't that big of a deal to me anymore. Its expensive anyways and unhealthy. On the rare occasions I do eat out, I make sure that there is a bathroom there, b/c the food at fast food places like Wendy's just goes right through me. So my case is mainly junk food...so if any of you eat unhealthy fatty foods, try to eliminate that first.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2010
    • 02:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, a lot of the messages on here ring true to my ears. I am 43 years old and have been dealing with the various symptoms and issues since I was in my early teens. Yes, stress can bring some things into play more than not, but as the joke goes with my friends - "clear broth can upset your stomach!". Strange but true, as there is no rhyme nor reason to episodes after eating out or at home, no matter what the food.I have had a number of tests done by GIs over the years and there has not been any great diagnosis, nor reason provided. As one doc said to me, "it's your achilles heel and you have to learn to live with it". As a lot of you can understand, urgent, 'seconds away' diarrhea it is not a pleasant sensation and terrifying on a plane or stuck in traffic. Embarrassingly so, I have lost control on more than one occasion over the years and the stress that goes along with it can't be helping things.I am going to add the metamucil, citrucel suggestion and see what happens! Wish me luck :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2010
    • 07:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also had a similar experience when I was not sure what made me feel bad after eating. I tried a number of things including seeing doctors, but tests came back negative. In the end it turned out something extremely silly. I was not processing some of the chemicals that are added to foods. By removing low quality foods from my diet, I was able to get back to feeling 100% normal.I actually also learned a lot throughout the process. Something that might help people is to understand digestive symptoms. Take a look at something like this:http://www.redpoop.com/different_poop_colors/different_colors_of_poop.htmlBy figuring out the different meaning of symptoms I was able to cope with them and find solutions.
    health_anonymous 4 Replies
    • December 10, 2010
    • 11:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement