Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

Carpal Tunnel Surgery results

Posted In: Hand conditions 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 4, 2006
  • 07:54 PM

I'm 46, and had CT surgery done on Aug.18, 2006, on my right hand (I am right-handed).

Up to that moment, due to CT, I had severe pain in my upper arm, joints, and upper scapular area of the back, the intense, shooting kind of pain that wakes you up at night and really makes you miserable.
After the surgery all pain is gone, except for a small spot on the lower arm, at the elbow where the ulna protudes. It feels like a bruise, and it doesn't hurt unless I twist the arm.
Went to the doctor and got a diagnosis of "golfer elbow", for which I've been fitted with a plastic brace. The problem is, I don't think I have golfer elbow. My arm never hurts when I bend my wrist. I can bend for hours without any discomfort. I feel pain only when I twist the arm while keeping it straight, and when I carry heavy loads like grocery bags.
I have a feeling that maybe the surgery didn't turn out 100% right.
Anybody has an opinion about this?

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• sounds like you got an excellent result from the CT surgery. The current symptoms sound more like "tennis elbow" - most commonly found in non tennis players. Although you can bend the wrist without discomfort, see how the elbow feels when you try to unscrew a tight jar lid or lift a weight with the palm facing downwards. If these produce pain, tennis elbow is the diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2006
    • 04:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I hear a lot of people say that the surgery never works 100%. It may not have....it's entirely possible. I dont know why they would give you a brace if they thought you had something like tennis elbow.....but it could be some kind of inflammation to be sure. Its been a while since you posted this, still having problems?
    angelluvbug82 23 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Is the pain on the inside of the elbow closest to the body? It feels like a bruise? If it is where I'm asking and there is a spot when you push on it and it feels sore, it is golfers elbow. I've had it for years, gets better, gets worse, depends on my workload. Sore spot close to the point of the elbow on the inside, Medial epicondylitis is what its called or golfers elbow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 08:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello , My name is Lisa Andrews and Iam 31 Years old. When I was born my hands had a defect and my thumbs didnt develop properly, so when I was 3 years old (aprox) I had a Pollicization opperation on my left hand, at Sheffield Childrens. My right hand was left alone but my thumb hasnt really grown, and is really small. Im unsure what my condition is called as my mum was only give very basic information when I was born. This has never bothered me (apart from the small odd bits of childish name calling) It has never stopped me from doing anything, Iam Right handed, and work as a succesful Hairdresser with my own salon, so without a usable thumb I use my hands alot differently then other people. A few months ago my middle finger started getting pins and needles, then it went completly numb and has stayed like that. My ring finger has now occasionally started with pins and needles. I have been to my GP who thinks it may be Carpol Tunnel , and has rerferd me to the Northern General Hospital to see a hand surgen. Iam really worried as I dont want this to get any worse as I have my business and very much enjoy my work .I have always been a very strong willed person that is determined to prove that just because I dont have a thumb I can do anything I want, and would be devestated if I had to stop for reasons that I cant control. I would very much appreceaite it if you could pass any information on to me. Thank You so much for your time, Lisa Andrews.
    lisa19576 4 Replies
    • August 21, 2007
    • 00:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello my name is Mika and I had carpel tunnel release surgery in March 2006 in both hands, I had the direct open surgery and straight away the pins and needles went away but now I have a constant ache in both forearms and wrists. since the surgery I've had two nerve conductions studies done and they showed improvement prior to surgery but for some reason I have a constant discomfort and I cannot find any answers , I can't help but wonder if keyhole surgery would have been the better option! I don't think I'm any better off now than before, and for some really strange reason the pain seems worse when it rains is that a co-incidence?
    mika28au 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had carpal tunnel surgery in Dec. 2009 , I know it takes time to heel and so on, But i can say I am worse then before the surgery. I now have less feeling in my fingers and my wrist is in pain all the time. My thumb I can't use at all and can no longer open jars, peel pototes ect.If i knew this would happen i wouldn't have had the surgery . I will never have my left hand done as I was to have both hands done.I am now waiting to see what happens from here , but in the first place i had permant nerve damage and they thought this surgery would help...Yeah Not
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 07:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome which can be confirmed by an EMG (nerve test). Carpal tunnel surgery, when done properly, has a recurrence (or return) of carpal tunnel syndrome in under 2%. There are two procedures - open and endoscopic carpal tunnel release. Endoscopic has a shorter downtime in the early phase (6 wks after surgery) and both sets of people feel about the same around 6-8 wks. That being said - most who complain of ongoing problems after carpal tunnel surgery either waited too long and have some irreversible damage or, along with their carpal tunnel syndrome, have other problems. Unfortunately, people think that all pain and numbness in the arm or hand is carpal tunnel syndrome - and it is not. Straightforward carpal tunnel syndrome is a predictable thing to treat with over 96% of people being highly satisfied with their results. Hello , My name is Lisa Andrews and Iam 31 Years old. When I was born my hands had a defect and my thumbs didnt develop properly, so when I was 3 years old (aprox) I had a Pollicization opperation on my left hand, at Sheffield Childrens. My right hand was left alone but my thumb hasnt really grown, and is really small. Im unsure what my condition is called as my mum was only give very basic information when I was born. This has never bothered me (apart from the small odd bits of childish name calling) It has never stopped me from doing anything, Iam Right handed, and work as a succesful Hairdresser with my own salon, so without a usable thumb I use my hands alot differently then other people. A few months ago my middle finger started getting pins and needles, then it went completly numb and has stayed like that. My ring finger has now occasionally started with pins and needles. I have been to my GP who thinks it may be Carpol Tunnel , and has rerferd me to the Northern General Hospital to see a hand surgen. Iam really worried as I dont want this to get any worse as I have my business and very much enjoy my work .I have always been a very strong willed person that is determined to prove that just because I dont have a thumb I can do anything I want, and would be devestated if I had to stop for reasons that I cant control. I would very much appreceaite it if you could pass any information on to me. Thank You so much for your time, Lisa Andrews.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had carpal tunnel surgery in Dec. 2009 , I know it takes time to heel and so on, But i can say I am worse then before the surgery. I now have less feeling in my fingers and my wrist is in pain all the time. My thumb I can't use at all and can no longer open jars, peel pototes ect.If i knew this would happen i wouldn't have had the surgery . I will never have my left hand done as I was to have both hands done.I am now waiting to see what happens from here , but in the first place i had permant nerve damage and they thought this surgery would help...Yeah NotI had the right one done and nothing but problems, had the left one done and perfect!! Had the right one re-done and it has been a total nightmare. Why do hands that are attached to the same body react so differently to the same surgery?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement