Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Itchy Welts

Posted In: Skin conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 7, 2009
  • 03:01 PM

I keep getting these bug bite like bumps on my body. There are not a lot of them but the 2 that I have had on my upper arms have turned into almost red welt looking things when I itch them. I can't figure out where they are coming from. I treated my whole house and car for bed bugs because I was terrified that we had those but the exterminators that came to look at my matresses and stuff said they found nothing. They take a long time to go away too. It only stays welt like for a couple days then it shrinks but some of them itch bad and some of them don't. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I have the exact same thing right now and have been scowering the net trying to figure out what this is. I went to a doctor who didn't know what it was and a dermatologist today who said that they were bug bites. He suggested it was scabies but I find it hard to believe as no one that I'm in contact with has any itching or bumps and scabies is highly contagious. Keep me posted!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same thing right now and have been scowering the net trying to figure out what this is. I went to a doctor who didn't know what it was and a dermatologist today who said that they were bug bites. He suggested it was scabies but I find it hard to believe as no one that I'm in contact with has any itching or bumps and scabies is highly contagious. Keep me posted!Itchy Red Welts: Bites?I'm in NJ, and I'm convinced the only ones that truly understand how serious this problem, and how badly this itchy bite really is.. is someone who shares the situation.. After Christmas the beginning of Jan I had gotten 2 small bite type marks on my wrist that itched. At first they appeared to look like a flea bite, but our dogs are treated every month, and we've never had a flea problem of any kind. I kind of blew it off at first just figuring it must have been poison or something I came into contact with, put some calamine lotion on it, and forgot about it. Then as they began to go away I got another one of these things on my forehead, in my eyebrow..all within about a week, and one big one on my back right at the base of my spine. That's the first one that began itching like crazy. Those first smaller ones weren't half that bad. The hot shower hitting it actually intensified it even more.. I went to the doctor because they welted up, and itched so badly. He looked at them, and thought it was something called folliculitis. I was given a prescription of a creme called bactroban lotion, and placed on 500 Mg of Cipro for 10 days. If it didn't go away I was to return. Well 2 weeks later It didn't go away.. I went back in two weeks to show them the new ones. Once again a different doctor in the office seen me, and gave me another script again for the Bactroban lotion because I had gotten enough new bites or whatever it was since being there last time I had to use up almost the whole first tube trying to keep up with the ones coming new everywhere.. This time they gave me Zithromax thinking the first round of antibiotic didn't do the trick. Well..I kept getting them with taking that too. It seemed the more they appeared over the weeks now the bigger, and more itchier they got.. sometimes there is just one in an area.. other times there is a cluster in an area. I went from having them on my wrist to my legs..face.. one foot.. the elbow area on one arm, and the forearm of another. Never going all at once.. some would clear up...then the new ones came as others were fading away. I actually had almost 2 weeks of comfort thinking they had gone after taking the Cipro, and about 3 days into starting the Zithromax. They were fewer, and less for about a good week, and a hald after being on that. It seemed each time one area began to clear away then new ones were coming somewhere else. I covered them up because not knowing what they were I didn't want anyone in my family getting it. Then this week after leaving the Dermatologist office with barely any marks at all on me.. today they started up again now the same typr of welts are twice the size, and where they are over my knee area..that area burns which they hadn't done before, they itch with a burning heat to them.. it's crazy. 6 bites ..or whatever they are covering my entire knee cap on one leg forming a swollen pathetic itchy hard hot tight feeling because they are swelling so tightly. They are litterally red welts like huge mosquito bites, and after thinking I was cleared up they came out of nowhere. I actually had peace for about 3 days. My sons seem to be almost gone also, but now I'm afraid to ask him.. I have 6 on my one knee which has my knee so tight from them swelling making it one big hot area covering my knee cap.., and 2 now on the other knee.. That area just itches like an SOB way worse than last weeks batch. I can't touch it ..it drives me nuts. I've been wearing lose sweat pants or track pants as many days as I can just to get a little break from the jeans touching my skin. If I do touch or rub these it makes it itch 10 times worse. It is so unexplainable the way this itches, and burns without even touching it this time around.. I have tried to take benedryl.. or use the benedryl lotion on them.. rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion, .. hydrocotisone cremes..neither help..nothing helps.. the dermatologist gave me a perscription for allergy pills that don't do squat either.. They itch so bad, and get this round raised puffy ring of bright red. They almost resemble a wasp type or bee sting look.. white round circle centers with a pinhead dot in the center like a stinger mark then puffy & red outer round edge....You can see if you push on it the tiny hole where something bit, but it starts out more a tingle.. nothing is there at first to see at all You can at times feel a faint sensation which if you're paying attention makes you look or touch that spot, but you see nothing not even a mark. Then next day or hours later that's when all ***l breaks loose at that same spot where nothing was there before.. They are an itchy big mosquito bite size welt that litterally drives you crazy! If you itch.. it begins to burn, and itches 10 times more fast ..the area feels warm.. like a hot sensation..but the itch is so intense it's like impossible to keep your hands off.. My house was checked.. no bed bugs.. By late Jan my one of two teenage sons came showing me he had the samething.. WT?? is going on around here I thought to myself.. I gave him the bactroban.. his became much redder, and bigger than mine had, and he got more than I did faster. The next day the school nurse called me to come get him. They sent him home because they thought it was scabies. We don't even sleep on the same floor, and others in the house had nothing showing like I had. There is 3 others with no symptoms of them at all, but with an outbreak of scabies possibly with it being so contagious I was flipping out. I keep my house so clean I'm thinking how could this be? I purposely have hardwood floors, just had new carpet throughout our lower level..and steam our tile all the time for germs.. it's a crazy feeling.. I called back the doctor thinking maybe it was a misdiagnosis of scabies so no one else gets it. I don't know anything about it, but after days of wanting answers was reading stuff searching crazily for any answers I didn't know what else to think. I went to a Dermatologist right away. He clearly seen what I meant. I had a small cluster under my forearm, one on the foot, and a couple on the other leg at the time.They are not small mosquito bite size, and very red. He took a deep skin sample which he said would leave a scar from the ones on my forearm to send to the lab hopefully telling me something.. He said it would be 2 weeks before they had any idea if something came back in the results. He said right off the bat looking at it that it wasn't scabies or any skin problem he has ever seen, and not a bed bug typr of bite. After dealing with this for almost 2 months by then I just waited with hopes of some answer so it would get fixed, and go away.I went back for the results on Tuesday of this week 2/22 for the results. It is not scabies or any other thing they can figure out. They said it was sent to a very reputable lab, looked at by two different lab techs who both signed the report, and the only thing they do know is it is a form of "Bug Bite!" Without the bug he said they have no way of knowing..what kind! This is absured! The only thing he could suggest was calling an exterminator in to evaluate if they can find something otherwise his only other suggestion was spraying ourselves with Cutter or Off..because he clearly can says we are being abused by some type of bug biting us!! Well ***l I knew that before I went in there..There are people all over the US reading these question, comments.. forums..etc. They are all complaining about this exact same type of syptoms all with No Answers or anything they can to help get rid of this itch or figuring out what it is to stop getting bit.. It's quite obvious there are some form of little critters we can't see in the States that are making their way everywhere.. Our antibotics aren't helping, neither are any types of lotions, cremes, perscription or not no matter what they try using. There just has to be someone who can find an answer, and get this problem from growing into some lousy epidemic. There's a new bug on the run! It's not about Bed Bugs.. or flea's or hives or allergies..I bought a different steamer than my HAAN I was already using before all this, and I started now to steam everything in my house weekly now, including all walls, carpets, bedding, woodwork.. glass..shoes, clothes, everything.. it's got me going crazy, but it still didn't matter.. I've done as much possible reading, and trying things out on my own when the doctors things we are doing on top of it weren't doing any good.. just to try helping us myself.. including switching to sulfer soap. Not one thing matters they still come. Is there some new form of parasite? It's as if something is maybe traveling around inside which freaks me out since nothing is seen on the outside or anywhere for that matter.... Maybe the red marks are where whatever it is at the time traveling throughout the body stops ..comes up for air.. poking out rather than a surface bite. Who the heck knows..All I do know is: I hope someone comes up with some answer because these bites have to stop. This itchy bite is ***l..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2011
    • 05:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Itchy Red Welts: Bites?I'm in NJ, and I'm convinced the only ones that truly understand how serious this problem, and how badly this itchy bite really is.. is someone who shares the situation.. After Christmas the beginning of Jan I had gotten 2 small bite type marks on my wrist that itched. At first they appeared to look like a flea bite, but our dogs are treated every month, and we've never had a flea problem of any kind. I kind of blew it off at first just figuring it must have been poison or something I came into contact with, put some calamine lotion on it, and forgot about it. Then as they began to go away I got another one of these things on my forehead, in my eyebrow..all within about a week, and one big one on my back right at the base of my spine. That's the first one that began itching like crazy. Those first smaller ones weren't half that bad. The hot shower hitting it actually intensified it even more.. I went to the doctor because they welted up, and itched so badly. He looked at them, and thought it was something called folliculitis. I was given a prescription of a creme called bactroban lotion, and placed on 500 Mg of Cipro for 10 days. If it didn't go away I was to return. Well 2 weeks later It didn't go away.. I went back in two weeks to show them the new ones. Once again a different doctor in the office seen me, and gave me another script again for the Bactroban lotion because I had gotten enough new bites or whatever it was since being there last time I had to use up almost the whole first tube trying to keep up with the ones coming new everywhere.. This time they gave me Zithromax thinking the first round of antibiotic didn't do the trick. Well..I kept getting them with taking that too. It seemed the more they appeared over the weeks now the bigger, and more itchier they got.. sometimes there is just one in an area.. other times there is a cluster in an area. I went from having them on my wrist to my legs..face.. one foot.. the elbow area on one arm, and the forearm of another. Never going all at once.. some would clear up...then the new ones came as others were fading away. I actually had almost 2 weeks of comfort thinking they had gone after taking the Cipro, and about 3 days into starting the Zithromax. They were fewer, and less for about a good week, and a hald after being on that. It seemed each time one area began to clear away then new ones were coming somewhere else. I covered them up because not knowing what they were I didn't want anyone in my family getting it. Then this week after leaving the Dermatologist office with barely any marks at all on me.. today they started up again now the same typr of welts are twice the size, and where they are over my knee area..that area burns which they hadn't done before, they itch with a burning heat to them.. it's crazy. 6 bites ..or whatever they are covering my entire knee cap on one leg forming a swollen pathetic itchy hard hot tight feeling because they are swelling so tightly. They are litterally red welts like huge mosquito bites, and after thinking I was cleared up they came out of nowhere. I actually had peace for about 3 days. My sons seem to be almost gone also, but now I'm afraid to ask him.. I have 6 on my one knee which has my knee so tight from them swelling making it one big hot area covering my knee cap.., and 2 now on the other knee.. That area just itches like an SOB way worse than last weeks batch. I can't touch it ..it drives me nuts. I've been wearing lose sweat pants or track pants as many days as I can just to get a little break from the jeans touching my skin. If I do touch or rub these it makes it itch 10 times worse. It is so unexplainable the way this itches, and burns without even touching it this time around.. I have tried to take benedryl.. or use the benedryl lotion on them.. rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion, .. hydrocotisone cremes..neither help..nothing helps.. the dermatologist gave me a perscription for allergy pills that don't do squat either.. They itch so bad, and get this round raised puffy ring of bright red. They almost resemble a wasp type or bee sting look.. white round circle centers with a pinhead dot in the center like a stinger mark then puffy & red outer round edge....You can see if you push on it the tiny hole where something bit, but it starts out more a tingle.. nothing is there at first to see at all You can at times feel a faint sensation which if you're paying attention makes you look or touch that spot, but you see nothing not even a mark. Then next day or hours later that's when all ***l breaks loose at that same spot where nothing was there before.. They are an itchy big mosquito bite size welt that litterally drives you crazy! If you itch.. it begins to burn, and itches 10 times more fast ..the area feels warm.. like a hot sensation..but the itch is so intense it's like impossible to keep your hands off.. My house was checked.. no bed bugs.. By late Jan my one of two teenage sons came showing me he had the samething.. WT?? is going on around here I thought to myself.. I gave him the bactroban.. his became much redder, and bigger than mine had, and he got more than I did faster. The next day the school nurse called me to come get him. They sent him home because they thought it was scabies. We don't even sleep on the same floor, and others in the house had nothing showing like I had. There is 3 others with no symptoms of them at all, but with an outbreak of scabies possibly with it being so contagious I was flipping out. I keep my house so clean I'm thinking how could this be? I purposely have hardwood floors, just had new carpet throughout our lower level..and steam our tile all the time for germs.. it's a crazy feeling.. I called back the doctor thinking maybe it was a misdiagnosis of scabies so no one else gets it. I don't know anything about it, but after days of wanting answers was reading stuff searching crazily for any answers I didn't know what else to think. I went to a Dermatologist right away. He clearly seen what I meant. I had a small cluster under my forearm, one on the foot, and a couple on the other leg at the time.They are not small mosquito bite size, and very red. He took a deep skin sample which he said would leave a scar from the ones on my forearm to send to the lab hopefully telling me something.. He said it would be 2 weeks before they had any idea if something came back in the results. He said right off the bat looking at it that it wasn't scabies or any skin problem he has ever seen, and not a bed bug typr of bite. After dealing with this for almost 2 months by then I just waited with hopes of some answer so it would get fixed, and go away.I went back for the results on Tuesday of this week 2/22 for the results. It is not scabies or any other thing they can figure out. They said it was sent to a very reputable lab, looked at by two different lab techs who both signed the report, and the only thing they do know is it is a form of "Bug Bite!" Without the bug he said they have no way of knowing..what kind! This is absured! The only thing he could suggest was calling an exterminator in to evaluate if they can find something otherwise his only other suggestion was spraying ourselves with Cutter or Off..because he clearly can says we are being abused by some type of bug biting us!! Well ***l I knew that before I went in there..There are people all over the US reading these question, comments.. forums..etc. They are all complaining about this exact same type of syptoms all with No Answers or anything they can to help get rid of this itch or figuring out what it is to stop getting bit.. It's quite obvious there are some form of little critters we can't see in the States that are making their way everywhere.. Our antibotics aren't helping, neither are any types of lotions, cremes, perscription or not no matter what they try using. There just has to be someone who can find an answer, and get this problem from growing into some lousy epidemic. There's a new bug on the run! It's not about Bed Bugs.. or flea's or hives or allergies..I bought a different steamer than my HAAN I was already using before all this, and I started now to steam everything in my house weekly now, including all walls, carpets, bedding, woodwork.. glass..shoes, clothes, everything.. it's got me going crazy, but it still didn't matter.. I've done as much possible reading, and trying things out on my own when the doctors things we are doing on top of it weren't doing any good.. just to try helping us myself.. including switching to sulfer soap. Not one thing matters they still come. Is there some new form of parasite? It's as if something is maybe traveling around inside which freaks me out since nothing is seen on the outside or anywhere for that matter.... Maybe the red marks are where whatever it is at the time traveling throughout the body stops ..comes up for air.. poking out rather than a surface bite. Who the heck knows..All I do know is: I hope someone comes up with some answer because these bites have to stop. This itchy bite is ***l..Talk to meeeee.....I have been experiencing the same exact symtoms for the past week now, and someone told me it very well be a shellfish poisoning! I have a feeling we in the midst of some type of parasitic warfare.....hives my **s, hives do not function in this mannor, you took the message right off of my thoughts!!! good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Itchy Red Welts: Bites?I'm in NJ, and I'm convinced the only ones that truly understand how serious this problem, and how badly this itchy bite really is.. is someone who shares the situation.. After Christmas the beginning of Jan I had gotten 2 small bite type marks on my wrist that itched. At first they appeared to look like a flea bite, but our dogs are treated every month, and we've never had a flea problem of any kind. I kind of blew it off at first just figuring it must have been poison or something I came into contact with, put some calamine lotion on it, and forgot about it. Then as they began to go away I got another one of these things on my forehead, in my eyebrow..all within about a week, and one big one on my back right at the base of my spine. That's the first one that began itching like crazy. Those first smaller ones weren't half that bad. The hot shower hitting it actually intensified it even more.. I went to the doctor because they welted up, and itched so badly. He looked at them, and thought it was something called folliculitis. I was given a prescription of a creme called bactroban lotion, and placed on 500 Mg of Cipro for 10 days. If it didn't go away I was to return. Well 2 weeks later It didn't go away.. I went back in two weeks to show them the new ones. Once again a different doctor in the office seen me, and gave me another script again for the Bactroban lotion because I had gotten enough new bites or whatever it was since being there last time I had to use up almost the whole first tube trying to keep up with the ones coming new everywhere.. This time they gave me Zithromax thinking the first round of antibiotic didn't do the trick. Well..I kept getting them with taking that too. It seemed the more they appeared over the weeks now the bigger, and more itchier they got.. sometimes there is just one in an area.. other times there is a cluster in an area. I went from having them on my wrist to my legs..face.. one foot.. the elbow area on one arm, and the forearm of another. Never going all at once.. some would clear up...then the new ones came as others were fading away. I actually had almost 2 weeks of comfort thinking they had gone after taking the Cipro, and about 3 days into starting the Zithromax. They were fewer, and less for about a good week, and a hald after being on that. It seemed each time one area began to clear away then new ones were coming somewhere else. I covered them up because not knowing what they were I didn't want anyone in my family getting it. Then this week after leaving the Dermatologist office with barely any marks at all on me.. today they started up again now the same typr of welts are twice the size, and where they are over my knee area..that area burns which they hadn't done before, they itch with a burning heat to them.. it's crazy. 6 bites ..or whatever they are covering my entire knee cap on one leg forming a swollen pathetic itchy hard hot tight feeling because they are swelling so tightly. They are litterally red welts like huge mosquito bites, and after thinking I was cleared up they came out of nowhere. I actually had peace for about 3 days. My sons seem to be almost gone also, but now I'm afraid to ask him.. I have 6 on my one knee which has my knee so tight from them swelling making it one big hot area covering my knee cap.., and 2 now on the other knee.. That area just itches like an SOB way worse than last weeks batch. I can't touch it ..it drives me nuts. I've been wearing lose sweat pants or track pants as many days as I can just to get a little break from the jeans touching my skin. If I do touch or rub these it makes it itch 10 times worse. It is so unexplainable the way this itches, and burns without even touching it this time around.. I have tried to take benedryl.. or use the benedryl lotion on them.. rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion, .. hydrocotisone cremes..neither help..nothing helps.. the dermatologist gave me a perscription for allergy pills that don't do squat either.. They itch so bad, and get this round raised puffy ring of bright red. They almost resemble a wasp type or bee sting look.. white round circle centers with a pinhead dot in the center like a stinger mark then puffy & red outer round edge....You can see if you push on it the tiny hole where something bit, but it starts out more a tingle.. nothing is there at first to see at all You can at times feel a faint sensation which if you're paying attention makes you look or touch that spot, but you see nothing not even a mark. Then next day or hours later that's when all **** breaks loose at that same spot where nothing was there before.. They are an itchy big mosquito bite size welt that litterally drives you crazy! If you itch.. it begins to burn, and itches 10 times more fast ..the area feels warm.. like a hot sensation..but the itch is so intense it's like impossible to keep your hands off.. My house was checked.. no bed bugs.. By late Jan my one of two teenage sons came showing me he had the samething.. WT?? is going on around here I thought to myself.. I gave him the bactroban.. his became much redder, and bigger than mine had, and he got more than I did faster. The next day the school nurse called me to come get him. They sent him home because they thought it was scabies. We don't even sleep on the same floor, and others in the house had nothing showing like I had. There is 3 others with no symptoms of them at all, but with an outbreak of scabies possibly with it being so contagious I was flipping out. I keep my house so clean I'm thinking how could this be? I purposely have hardwood floors, just had new carpet throughout our lower level..and steam our tile all the time for germs.. it's a crazy feeling.. I called back the doctor thinking maybe it was a misdiagnosis of scabies so no one else gets it. I don't know anything about it, but after days of wanting answers was reading stuff searching crazily for any answers I didn't know what else to think. I went to a Dermatologist right away. He clearly seen what I meant. I had a small cluster under my forearm, one on the foot, and a couple on the other leg at the time.They are not small mosquito bite size, and very red. He took a deep skin sample which he said would leave a scar from the ones on my forearm to send to the lab hopefully telling me something.. He said it would be 2 weeks before they had any idea if something came back in the results. He said right off the bat looking at it that it wasn't scabies or any skin problem he has ever seen, and not a bed bug typr of bite. After dealing with this for almost 2 months by then I just waited with hopes of some answer so it would get fixed, and go away.I went back for the results on Tuesday of this week 2/22 for the results. It is not scabies or any other thing they can figure out. They said it was sent to a very reputable lab, looked at by two different lab techs who both signed the report, and the only thing they do know is it is a form of "Bug Bite!" Without the bug he said they have no way of knowing..what kind! This is absured! The only thing he could suggest was calling an exterminator in to evaluate if they can find something otherwise his only other suggestion was spraying ourselves with Cutter or Off..because he clearly can says we are being abused by some type of bug biting us!! Well **** I knew that before I went in there..There are people all over the US reading these question, comments.. forums..etc. They are all complaining about this exact same type of syptoms all with No Answers or anything they can to help get rid of this itch or figuring out what it is to stop getting bit.. It's quite obvious there are some form of little critters we can't see in the States that are making their way everywhere.. Our antibotics aren't helping, neither are any types of lotions, cremes, perscription or not no matter what they try using. There just has to be someone who can find an answer, and get this problem from growing into some lousy epidemic. There's a new bug on the run! It's not about Bed Bugs.. or flea's or hives or allergies..I bought a different steamer than my HAAN I was already using before all this, and I started now to steam everything in my house weekly now, including all walls, carpets, bedding, woodwork.. glass..shoes, clothes, everything.. it's got me going crazy, but it still didn't matter.. I've done as much possible reading, and trying things out on my own when the doctors things we are doing on top of it weren't doing any good.. just to try helping us myself.. including switching to sulfer soap. Not one thing matters they still come. Is there some new form of parasite? It's as if something is maybe traveling around inside which freaks me out since nothing is seen on the outside or anywhere for that matter.... Maybe the red marks are where whatever it is at the time traveling throughout the body stops ..comes up for air.. poking out rather than a surface bite. Who the heck knows..All I do know is: I hope someone comes up with some answer because these bites have to stop. This itchy bite is ****..Did you ever figure out what this is? I am suffering from the same thing, and the doctor is clueless. I'm terrified it's bedbugs, but the exterminator couldn't find anything and no one who has stayed with me in the past month has had these symptoms.
    albell711 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I get long welts about every 6 weeks . I don't know how it gets under the waist band of my clothing . It Must have a strong numbnent .The bites take a long time to go away . I never wake up . I spray everything in sight .but after about six weeks it is back . Yesterday it had been 6 weeks and I saw a small wolf spider about 4 centimeters running across my carpet . it went under my bed . I tried to get it . Bit it got me last nite I guess. I woke up with lots of the same bites every where . I purchased spider traps today . I'll let you know how it goes .
    krisdaan 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • someone please help me im so itchy!!! i have had the same thing going on a year now and i have no idea what is going on in the world... nobody else is itching but me... my hands my feet my whole body just itches like crazy i have no idea what do and nothing is working... can someone please tell me what it is and what to do!!!
    ImItchy 1 Replies
    • October 20, 2013
    • 02:09 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement