Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Nausea, severe abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea when lying down after eating

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: manbrpg
  • May 6, 2009
  • 01:59 AM

Hi, I'm a 20 year old female who has been searching for about eight years to figure out what's behind my problem. I haven't ever been able to find anything online or from a doctor, so I'm hoping someone on these forums can help me.

Basically right now I am under the impression that I am intolerant of the casein protein in milk and possibly slightly lactose intolerant. I tested positive for fructose intolerance and it is suggested that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I had the H. Pylori bacteria and a 'bacterial overgrowth' but both of those were taken care of with antibiotics.

I don't have a problem with the fructose intolerance or any of these other things listed, so what I am here for is finding out why I cannot lie down after eating food. It doesn't matter what food it is (whether it causes problems anyway or not), but if I lie down sooner than three to four hours after I last ate, I will become extraordinarily nauseous and will have searing pain in my abdomen to the point where I cannot even stand, leading to cramps, diarrhea, and bloating. Usually I am smart about timing when I sleep, but if it does happen the pain stays with me for anywhere from six to eight hours. This has been going on for eight years and it took me years of nights spent over the toilet to realize that it was based on the timing of when I ate.

Some background: I have been sick after laying down since the age of 12, diagnosed with H. Pylori at the age of 13 and was put on antibiotics to get rid of it before it turned to ulcers. After that was over, I was on antacids for a length of time but it seemed that I still wasn't able to eat food and not be in stomach/abdominal pain. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy as well as a barium swallow and numerous xrays before the age of 15, yet everything turned out negative. The bacterial overgrowth was when I was 18. The pain after eating went away when I avoided dairy and fruit, but the pain after laying down never went away.

Please can anyone help me? Even after several years it's frustrating beyond belief and detrimental to my sleep during my erratic school schedule to have to time everything based on when I eat. I would just like to know if anyone has any idea to why I cannot lie down after eating...

Thank you to everyone who reads this!
Rosie

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Maybe try going off gluten/wheat for a few months...just on the off chance that it makes you feel better. If that doesn't work, you could always try the elimination diet, just eat something really plain for a while like rice, then gradually introduce foods back into your diet and see what makes you feel sick.Just a suggestion?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I get sick if I lay down too soon after eating. I have to wait 2-3 hours after eating before laying down. I just drank water about 15 minutes ago, laid down, and ended up in the bathroom with cramping and diarrhea. I am lactose intolerant, negative for celiac's, and have been diagnosed w/ Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This has gone on pretty much since I had my one and only child 10 years ago. If I don't have dinner at a normal time, I have to stay up really late so I won't get sick when I go to sleep. I can't eat prior to going to the dentist or hairdresser's since the chairs recline. I also can't bend over after eating for at least an hour. My family has to pick up anything I need from the floor or low down on a shelf. If I even scrunch up my stomach due to sitting with poor posture during or for the few hours after eating, it's all the same as though I laid down. I am sorry that I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone. I have no idea what causes this. I've been through the same series of tests that you have had, except that upper & lower GI series came when I was eight years old. If they would have just paid attention and realized that I was Lactose Intolerant, those tests would not have been necessary. I had salmonella in Mexico in 1998, but was severe overly acidic stomach issues prior to going on the trip.Good luck to you in your search for answers!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2009
    • 01:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband has been having this problem for about 4.5 years now. At first, we thought it was a lactose problem because the first few times he had drank a glass of milk or eaten some chocolate late at night, but he drinks milk and lactose based products during the day with no problem. His problem is eating late at night and then going to sleep. It never fails, if he eats an does not give himself at least 4 hours before laying down, he will get sick with vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramping (basically everything you mentioned). He went to the doctor and had colonoscopy, and they found some small lesions on his small intestine. The doctor diagnosed him will ilitis, but said that it appears to be the early onset of Crohn's Disease (he took medicine for Crohn's for a while, but they just made him sick). I just never agreed with this diagnosis as he has never had a symptom during the day, and no foods bother him during the day. He isn't a person that takes naps so the only time he lays down is when he is going to bed for the night.I feel absolutely terrible for him, and I've done so much research and your post is the only thing I have found that resembles his problem. If you find anything out, please post it so we may have a little more information. We will do the same. I just wanted you to know that you are not the only one suffering from this because I feel so much better knowing that my hubby isn't the only one. It was nice to find someone with a similar issue; although, I am so sorry you have had to deal with it because it just plain sucks!Take care,Sarah
  • Hi, I'm in exactly your same position, no doctor can figure it out and I have had it for about 7 years. All the same symptoms you have and only when I lie down. If you find out anything please respond.Kim
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2010
    • 00:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I'm in exactly your same position, no doctor can figure it out and I have had it for about 7 years. All the same symptoms you have and only when I lie down. If you find out anything please respond.KimTry going to your local health and nutrition store, and getting a good pro-biotic. You have probably over your lifetime taken enough anti-biotics to kill off too many of the good bacteria in your body and have an imbalance of the good versus the bad. The pro-biotic will bring this back into balance. Tom
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2010
    • 04:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • maybe try looking into esophagitis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 31, 2010
    • 03:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi!I was so glad to see your post. I am exactly in your shoes as well. I've had the same problem since I was about 17. I'm 54 and it used to be that I would have to wait 3 hours before lying down and all would be well. Now I pretty much can't lay down any time during the day and I need to make sure that I eat no later than about 6:00 at night if I want to be able to be in bed by 10:30. Even then, I prop myself up with about 4 pillows for another hour or two and I either read or doze off sitting up.It has put a strain on my relationship with my significant other. He "tolerates" it but it may put too much of a strain on us. Certain sexual positions are out of the question because I'll end up doubled over in pain for hours afterwards but making love early in the morning is not a problem at all (when my stomach is empty).I'm on a gluten-free and dairy free diet, I also eat sugar-free, processed free, chemical free foods. I have tried probiotics, enzymes, digestive aids, bean-o, ... these things help but my intestines stay pretty much in a "hyper-sensitive" state. Currently I'm trying acupuncture. Same story. It helps but it doesn't "go away". My mother also has this same issue and we both "nervous" types.Thank you for your post. Feeling like I'm the only person who has this problem has been very ******n me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 19, 2010
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I read through the posts in this thread, and am hoping that those who posted are still following it, as I'd like to have further discussion. I'm a 27 year old male, and I pretty much can't sit down after I eat. Instead, I have to walk around and drink water, burping the whole time. It's the burping that seems like it might be the key- if I don't facilitate it, then my digestion seems to get worse and worse until...well twice I've woken up after going to sleep too full and had flu symptoms(yes, those symptoms). I have to eat certain things at certain times, and have to plan ahead for whatever I do. Lunch is around 11:30(minimal), then if I walk around and drink water I'll be able to sit or lie down at 4pm, then at 5-530pm I have to start dinner, as I won't be able to lay down for sleep until 11pm or so if I finish eating at 6:30pm. I'm standing as I type this, as I can't sit down, and it's 8:20pm.Does any of this sound familar? It doesn't matter what I eat, it's as if where difficult things to digest for most people, such as spicy chili dogs, are where I begin with simple foods. It's maybe a digestive enzyme/bacteria thing?Hope to hear back from anyone!
    athebeach 2 Replies
    • September 23, 2010
    • 03:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello.This sounds very familiar.I often feel extremily nauseaous, bloated and then cramps start as soon as i go to bed, followed by a night in the bathroom. This happens especially if i'm still feeling a little full. It does not happen every night but this may be due to a varying meal time. I'm not sure if it may be a food intolerence of some sort.Reading through all of these replies it sounds very similar to what i have been experiencing for the last few years. I'm 28 years and have lost a bit of weight since this has been occuring 3 or 4 years ago.. I didn't have any problems as a child growing up.It is a mystery.I will keenly follow this link.Thank you for the information...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 11:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've similar simptoms for many years.I'm 75 years old don't eat much and watch what I'm eatingThe bloating and general discomfort is aways there when I lay down.It is worse is stomach is full , the severity definitely depends on the food you eat but happens practically every night.It seems that pro biotics help sometimes.Doctors just refuse to adress the problem.Now the key words here may be "lay down".Can anybody answer the question " what is happening in the stomach when person lays down?.Let's keep the discussion going
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 00:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi again. I recently found something that works! Well, I'm getting better.So the gastroenterologists I saw couldn't really tell me what was going on. After an upper endoscopy, 24h(?) ph test, etc., I was diagnosed with possibly GERD, Aerophagia, and "I don't know what's wrong." It got to the point at which I was on my feet 11-13 hours a day(couldn't sit down when food was in my stomach)...couldn't even really stand in one place after eating, had to walk and drink lots of water. The problem seemed to involve the excess production of gas that came out as burps, as if my system was really inefficient. Then.......back to recently. I saw a someone who has a master's Degree in Human Nutrition and is a Certified Clinical Nutritionist. They started me on some plant-based enzymes, moved then to add some pills that would increase the acidity in my stomach, etc., and are helping me to manage my diet. At least one of the goals is to retrain my digestive system to release the proper amounts of ABC at the proper times. There's been a huge difference so far! I've stopped burping so much, the pain has largely gone away, and the need to drink water has also diminished. I'm able to sit down sooner and eat things I hadn't been able(on account of a less efficient digestive system). ..."what is happening in the stomach when person lays down?" Well, gravity no longer works for the digestive process right? Things might start to just sit there if the stomach isn't doing a good job of churning and dissolving to pass it all on down. Kind of guessing here.I live in San Diego, if anyone wants to know who's helping me... And if anyone wants I can ask about the best way to search out local quality talent with the same set of training and skills.
    athebeach 2 Replies
    • December 4, 2010
    • 07:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My husband has been having this problem for about 4.5 years now. At first, we thought it was a lactose problem because the first few times he had drank a glass of milk or eaten some chocolate late at night, but he drinks milk and lactose based products during the day with no problem. His problem is eating late at night and then going to sleep. It never fails, if he eats an does not give himself at least 4 hours before laying down, he will get sick with vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramping (basically everything you mentioned). He went to the doctor and had colonoscopy, and they found some small lesions on his small intestine. The doctor diagnosed him will ilitis, but said that it appears to be the early onset of Crohn's Disease (he took medicine for Crohn's for a while, but they just made him sick). I just never agreed with this diagnosis as he has never had a symptom during the day, and no foods bother him during the day. He isn't a person that takes naps so the only time he lays down is when he is going to bed for the night.I feel absolutely terrible for him, and I've done so much research and your post is the only thing I have found that resembles his problem. If you find anything out, please post it so we may have a little more information. We will do the same. I just wanted you to know that you are not the only one suffering from this because I feel so much better knowing that my hubby isn't the only one. It was nice to find someone with a similar issue; although, I am so sorry you have had to deal with it because it just plain sucks!Take care,SarahIt sounds a lot like GERD. It is very surprising how bad GERD can affect people. It can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, globular sensation, even shoulder pain. It is from acid regurgitating back up the esophagus when he lays down. He does not not need to eat too close to bedtime and avoid spicy foods, citrus, and caffeine. GERD can be caused from a hiatal hernia or from slow gastric emptying....the best medicine is nexium but he can get prilosec over the counter which can also be helpful....other things which can help are to prop up the head of the bed on blocks or sleep with a wedge propping him up to help prevent the regurgitation. I hope you all feel better soon!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2011
    • 01:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 23 year old male and I also suffer from severe nausea every time I eat. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much. Sometimes it is slight nausea but other times it is debilitating and I have to sit down. It's been going on for a few months now and nothing I do makes it better. The doctor did blood work and said I have IgA Deficiency and did an upper endoscopy for celiac's disease. I am still waiting for those results. He gave me anti nausea pills and suppositories, but neither gives me much help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried drinking lactose free milk but it did not help.
  • Hey AtTheBeach, I know this is from a long time ago, but you are the only person I've ever seen with the same problem I have. It'd mean the world to me to know if you ever figured out what it was or made any progress!My email is playfultrash at yahoo dot com if that's easier for you.Hi,I read through the posts in this thread, and am hoping that those who posted are still following it, as I'd like to have further discussion. I'm a 27 year old male, and I pretty much can't sit down after I eat. Instead, I have to walk around and drink water, burping the whole time. It's the burping that seems like it might be the key- if I don't facilitate it, then my digestion seems to get worse and worse until...well twice I've woken up after going to sleep too full and had flu symptoms(yes, those symptoms). I have to eat certain things at certain times, and have to plan ahead for whatever I do. Lunch is around 11:30(minimal), then if I walk around and drink water I'll be able to sit or lie down at 4pm, then at 5-530pm I have to start dinner, as I won't be able to lay down for sleep until 11pm or so if I finish eating at 6:30pm. I'm standing as I type this, as I can't sit down, and it's 8:20pm.Does any of this sound familar? It doesn't matter what I eat, it's as if where difficult things to digest for most people, such as spicy chili dogs, are where I begin with simple foods. It's maybe a digestive enzyme/bacteria thing?Hope to hear back from anyone!
    ZacSax 1 Replies
    • October 21, 2011
    • 04:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitus. Lying down and going to sleep is very painful for her. (She has full abdominal pain, not in her throat or chest) A scope done 7 years ago probably would not have diagnosed this condition, because there hasn't been a lot of awareness.
    mommida 6 Replies
    • November 6, 2011
    • 01:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • During my 35 year history as a medical researcher, the symptoms you are describing are a pretty good indication of Hypochlorhydria. Unfortunately the symptoms also correspond to the opposite condition Hyperchlorhydria. Both conditons will cause belching, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea and or constipation, irregular stools,nausea, reflux, burning in the esophagus, gas, etc. Hypochlorhydria is the reduced Hydrochloric acid producion by the stomach's parietal cells. Hyperchlorhydria is the over production of acid by the parietal cells. When the parietal cells wane in their ability to produce stong enough acid there is reduced sterilization and conversion of the nutrient you consume. There is also reduced Gastrin production. Gastrin in responsible for maintaining the tone of the lower esophogeal sphinter, which is necessary to keep the sphincter closed preventing reflux. The main problem with reduced acid production is the peptic enzymes are no longer converting the proteins consumed. The peptic enzymes are most active in the conversion process when the stomach pH is at 1.0 to 2.0 pH. When the pH of the gastric fluids move toward the neutral side they become less active in the conversion of proteins. When the somach pH is at 5.0 the are no longer active in converting proteins. Many proteins are allergens and will cause allergic reactions if they are allowed to enter the small bowel without sterilization and conversion, similar to what you are describing. You mentioned H. Pylori infection. H. Pylori is one of the most prevelent bacteria in our society today. When contracted it move deep into the mucus layer in the stomach and is held in check by the HCL and mucus. As the mucus coating deminishes the H. Pylori starts to multiply and spread. The bacteria stops the parietal cells from producing acid and left untreated will cause gastric cancer. I would highly recommed that you get a pH diagnostic test. It will tell you if have Hypochlorhydria, Hyperchlorhydria, Achlorhydria, Heavy Mucus, Dumping syndrome, Delay or marked delayed emptying of the stomach, pyloric insufficiency and much more. I would suggest you search the net under gastrogram, pH capsule, pH test or pH diagnsotic test. Get tested soon you will be glad you did.
    Jacob777 2 Replies
    • November 28, 2011
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Will a scope show if the ph is incorrect. I have a 19 year old daughter that cannot work or go to school due to these exact symptoms. Any info would be heplful and we would be eternally grateful.
    Debbie Rezanson 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • "Transfer Factor Plus Tri-Factor-The best Immune booster product.This product represents 4Life's highest level of immune system support. 4Life Transfer Factor Plus Tri-Factor Formula combines the intelligence of Transfer Factor E-XF™, the intuition of NanoFactor™ extract, and the added support of our Cordyvant™ blend to provide the ultimate in immune system support for your body." Claim Compensation
    mandy_123 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • You should read the inflammation free diet book.:)
    cathyban 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have all of these issues you described. Something I think a lot of people with "solutions" aren't paying attention to the fact this ONLY happens when reclining. It doesn't happen after every meal. Also, if you're like me, it has nothing to do with the chest or throat. Its stomach pain, nausea, and lower intestinal problems. I still feel like no one has offered a solution here. Will we suffer forever?
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement