Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Nausea, severe abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea when lying down after eating

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: manbrpg
  • May 6, 2009
  • 01:59 AM

Hi, I'm a 20 year old female who has been searching for about eight years to figure out what's behind my problem. I haven't ever been able to find anything online or from a doctor, so I'm hoping someone on these forums can help me.

Basically right now I am under the impression that I am intolerant of the casein protein in milk and possibly slightly lactose intolerant. I tested positive for fructose intolerance and it is suggested that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I had the H. Pylori bacteria and a 'bacterial overgrowth' but both of those were taken care of with antibiotics.

I don't have a problem with the fructose intolerance or any of these other things listed, so what I am here for is finding out why I cannot lie down after eating food. It doesn't matter what food it is (whether it causes problems anyway or not), but if I lie down sooner than three to four hours after I last ate, I will become extraordinarily nauseous and will have searing pain in my abdomen to the point where I cannot even stand, leading to cramps, diarrhea, and bloating. Usually I am smart about timing when I sleep, but if it does happen the pain stays with me for anywhere from six to eight hours. This has been going on for eight years and it took me years of nights spent over the toilet to realize that it was based on the timing of when I ate.

Some background: I have been sick after laying down since the age of 12, diagnosed with H. Pylori at the age of 13 and was put on antibiotics to get rid of it before it turned to ulcers. After that was over, I was on antacids for a length of time but it seemed that I still wasn't able to eat food and not be in stomach/abdominal pain. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy as well as a barium swallow and numerous xrays before the age of 15, yet everything turned out negative. The bacterial overgrowth was when I was 18. The pain after eating went away when I avoided dairy and fruit, but the pain after laying down never went away.

Please can anyone help me? Even after several years it's frustrating beyond belief and detrimental to my sleep during my erratic school schedule to have to time everything based on when I eat. I would just like to know if anyone has any idea to why I cannot lie down after eating...

Thank you to everyone who reads this!
Rosie

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement