Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Vaginal sores, sore throat, canker sores, Gardasil vaccine...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: gmb888
  • April 30, 2009
  • 02:33 PM

I am 18 years old. Last Friday I went to my family doctor to get a physical for college. I was asked if I would like to start the Gardasil vaccinations. I agreed. My mother had been worried about this vaccine and told me to wait until I was 18. She was not in the room, but I made the decision anyway. When she found out, she was upset because of the side effects she has heard of.

The next day (Saturday), I started to get irritation in my mouth. Canker sores formed under my tongue, and they have not gone away since. It has been 6 days.

On Monday, 3 days after the shot, I started to have a sore throat. Yesterday (Wednesday), I was at school and I had a very bad headache and i did not feel well. I came home and rested, took 2 advil, and the headache ceased. I went to the bathroom and noticed that I had some pain around my vagina. I didn't think anything of it. Before I took a shower, I took a look. I have 2 sores on my labia, surrounding the vaginal opening. There is a sort of liquid coming out, I believe to be puss. It hurts very much and it hurts to urinate.

I wonder if this is because of the Gardasil vaccination. I have read horror stories and I am very scared. But this has also happened in my past, about a year and a half ago.

I have never been sexually active. In November 2007, I had some of these same symptoms one day: the sore throat, headache, fatigue, and finally the vaginal sores. The sores became REALLY bad. I went to my family doctor and he used a speculum (which was EXTREMELY PAINFUL due to the sores), took some swabs (that later came out negative), and told me that he believed it was Herpes. I was stunned. I did not know how that could happen. I had never been sexually active. How could this happen to me???

I stayed home all week due to the excruciating pain, and I finally got my appointment for the gynecologist. She gave me a blood test. She had just had a similar case recently, and that turned out to be Mononucleosis. The result of my test was that I had traces of Mono in my blood. I did not (thank God) have Herpes. The sores went away, my doctor apologized to my mother for scaring myself and her to death.

But now, it's back (plus the canker sores under my tongue that have not gone away). I am going back to the same family doctor today. I would be thrilled if it was just the Mono again, because then I know it will go away in a few days. But if it is the Gardasil vaccine causing all of this, no one probably knows what will happen next. I could have more side effects on the way. I am just really scared and I do not know what to do.

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• It is really unlikely that the Gardasil vaccine is causing this. A lot of people blame things on vaccines that are either coincidences or were already there before the vaccine. There is no evidence that any of the "side effects" people are having are actually related to the vaccine. Also, it doesn't make a difference whether you get it before or after the age of 18.And if you had these symptoms before you had the vaccine, then the vaccine is obviously not the cause. Vaccines definitely can't cause "side effects" before they're even given.I think the answer will probably be in your blood test.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am not saying that the Gardasil shot caused my sickness or that the sores, sore throat, and all that are side effects of the vaccine. I believe that like the mono, the vaccine caused something to happen to my immune system; it weakened it. Maybe this is what is happening to other girls who are having random "coincidental" sicknesses after the shot.Yes, not everyone who gets the vaccine will have things happen to them. None of my friends did. But I believe that whatever this is (not the vaccine), it is a problem, and it isn't only happening to me. I have found numerous situations just like mine from women of all ages. From their stories, the doctors haven't helped them at all either. No one knows what is causing these vaginal sores to happen in women, and they're not trying very hard to figure it out. It must be some kind of virus because all of the stories are freakishly similar.When I first posted, I was scared. I have had a few days to think and research possibilities. I don't believe that whatever happened to me are side effects of the Gardasil vaccine. I just think it did something to my body, and this whole thing popped up again. Trust me, this is not something you would want to go through. Or look at, for that matter.And my mom wanted me to wait until I was 18 to get the vaccine because it was so new. It hasn't been out for very long and not everything is known about it. Just because it is approved does not mean it is the safest thing in the world. There are still kinks to be worked out.
    gmb888 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the same exact problem as you. I started my course of Gardasil in summer/fall 2006 when I was 17 and the vaccine had just been released. In January 2007, before I was sexually active, I started feeling really fatigued and had sores on my labia. They were so excruciatingly painful that I could barely sit down correctly, and any intense exercise as I had done before, was completely out of the question. Eventually, I worked up the courage to look at them and they looked like canker sores. I hoped for them to pass quickly since explaining to my parents how I had a sore like this without "doing anything" with my boyfriend of 4 years would have been really awkward and difficult. Eventually though, they kept on coming back to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. And I got sores in my mouth too, which kind of minimized my desire to eat. I was taken to the doctor later in January and was given every STD test you could think of while the sores were still there, and nothing came back positive. I then had to do blood tests and the only thing that came back unusually from there was a slightly elevated ANA (anti nuclear antibody) count, which meant I was going to be treated as an autoimmune patient. The blood test was the only thing that indicated this, and I was given a "possible" diagonsis of Behcet's Syndrome, but nothing has been done to help relieve or eliminate my symptoms. Anyway, long story short, after 3 gynecologists, 1 rheumatologist, 2 general practice doctors and over two years, nobody has yet figured out what is wrong with me. But looking at your post, I think you might be onto something...Oh and PS- I was also tested for mono and it came back negative, instead coming back positive for CMV which apparently is in the same family as mono.
    welshdragon0038 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • When I first posted, I was scared. I have had a few days to think and research possibilities. I don't believe that whatever happened to me are side effects of the Gardasil vaccine. I just think it did something to my body, and this whole thing popped up again. Trust me, this is not something you would want to go through. Or look at, for that matter. Sweetheart, I think you are absolutley right about that.... Please read up on Bechets Disease. It is characterized by recurrent mouth and vaginal ulcers. It can also affect the eyes. Wikipedia has a good page or you can search with google... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beh%C3%A7et%27s_disease Kiera
  • I know this might sound strange but hear me out. B12 deficiency can cause sores and lesions on epithilial tissues because it is needed for DNA replication for cell division. Everywhere mentioned are epithelial tissues. Autoimmune problems are associated with b12 deficiency. Immune problems are associated with b12 deficiency. All of these symptoms and almost 300 more can be triggered by all sorts of challanges such as a catching a cold, vaccination, strep throat, just about any virus or bacteria, physical injury and so forth for people that are on the edge. It doesn't take much to tip some folks over the edge. The tests are pretty worthless as only a trial is definitive. Some kinds of b12 are 100 to 10,000 times more effective than other kinds. Some brands are 100 times more effective than some other brands. Some methods of taking the b12 are 15 to 20 times more effective. Sometimes it is a critical cofactor that is needed to activate the b12. If you would like to find out how to do a short trial and know with about a 95% certainty if b12 could be effective for you come over to http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=169920&posted=1#post169920 the b12 forum and post there.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • Stevens-Johnson Syndrome!!!!My mom was just looking up something on it, and it has all the symptoms you described, and it can be brought out by a vaccine! Look it to Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I think that might be your answer!
    soltice57 18 Replies Flag this Response
  • Welshdragon0038, I had the exact same symptoms that you describe back in 2001. I too was diagnosed with CMV after every other item was ruled out. I know that was years ago and this may seem irrelevant, but I got rid of it (or at least the nasty symptoms) with Cytovene, triamcinolone paste (put it on the sores; it clears them up within a day or so), and loads of B 12. I almost didn't graduate from high school because my body was so worn down. One crucial factor: Gardasil wasn't even on the market at this time. I think it is safe to say that Gardasil did not "cause" this. I think what someone had said above might be the best suggestion; 'some folks have flareups from this stuff and it doesn't take much to push them over the edge'. You will most likely find this to be true; in the coming years if you get stressed out, your symptoms may appear again. For me, it seems like at least once every two to three years I get really sick and I seem to be more prone to catching the common colds and flus going around. The good news is (at least this is how it is for me), this will mostly only occur in your mouth. The best thing you can do is take good care of yourself (eat well, exercise, drink plenty of water, take your vitamins, and get enough sleep), avoid risky behavior, and listen to your body. Right now I have canker sores in the back of my throat again, with some nasty swollen glands to match. This is probably because I have been on a tight deadline at work and stressing about it consistently for the past 3 weeks. Listen to your body and you won't have recurring symptoms.
  • I've had Behcet's for 30 years. Please don't use Wikipedia as a resource because it has some incorrect info! I've compiled a list of Behcet's links that are more helpful, including fact-based sites and support groups. There's also a link to the Discovery Health "Mystery Diagnosis" episode about my 17-year search for a diagnosis. You can see all of the links here: http://www.bdshowonline.comTake care,Joanne Z.
  • I am not saying that the Gardasil shot caused my sickness or that the sores, sore throat, and all that are side effects of the vaccine. I believe that like the mono, the vaccine caused something to happen to my immune system; it weakened it. Maybe this is what is happening to other girls who are having random "coincidental" sicknesses after the shot.Yes, not everyone who gets the vaccine will have things happen to them. None of my friends did. But I believe that whatever this is (not the vaccine), it is a problem, and it isn't only happening to me. I have found numerous situations just like mine from women of all ages. From their stories, the doctors haven't helped them at all either. No one knows what is causing these vaginal sores to happen in women, and they're not trying very hard to figure it out. It must be some kind of virus because all of the stories are freakishly similar.When I first posted, I was scared. I have had a few days to think and research possibilities. I don't believe that whatever happened to me are side effects of the Gardasil vaccine. I just think it did something to my body, and this whole thing popped up again. Trust me, this is not something you would want to go through. Or look at, for that matter.And my mom wanted me to wait until I was 18 to get the vaccine because it was so new. It hasn't been out for very long and not everything is known about it. Just because it is approved does not mean it is the safest thing in the world. There are still kinks to be worked out.hi, just read your post.all your problems are very likely from the gardasil. im 28 got mine 2yrs ago and started having problems after the second vacc 3-4wks later. headaches bad stomach pains vomiting, unknown skin rashes, vaginal swelling, numbness in my limbs, no energy. everything has settled except the skin rashes and swollen glands which come and go every few mths. to this day No Dr wanted to here or say poss it could be the Gardasil. until now i found an excellent Dr who cant believe i had the vacc.. her words were, That Vacc shouldnt be on the market its not fully tested not enough info about it and the Pharma.companies an Drs only think of the MONEY not the fact that were being treated as Guinea Pigs!! so believe me ive been through ***l tests apon tests no answers etc.. an i truely believe your symptoms are from this GARDAHELL vacc dont let anyone tell you otherwise. i not the only 1 theres many others been hurt by this vacc. and the thing that ****s me is drs dont want to know you if you ask could it be from the gardasil vacc. how all goes well for you:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2009
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, just read your post.all your problems are very likely from the gardasil. im 28 got mine 2yrs ago and started having problems after the second vacc 3-4wks later. headaches bad stomach pains vomiting, unknown skin rashes, vaginal swelling, numbness in my limbs, no energy. everything has settled except the skin rashes and swollen glands which come and go every few mths. to this day No Dr wanted to here or say poss it could be the Gardasil. until now i found an excellent Dr who cant believe i had the vacc.. her words were, That Vacc shouldnt be on the market its not fully tested not enough info about it and the Pharma.companies an Drs only think of the MONEY not the fact that were being treated as Guinea Pigs!! so believe me ive been through ***l tests apon tests no answers etc.. an i truely believe your symptoms are from this GARDAHELL vacc dont let anyone tell you otherwise. i not the only 1 theres many others been hurt by this vacc. and the thing that ****s me is drs dont want to know you if you ask could it be from the gardasil vacc. how all goes well for you:)Thank you for your post! My daughter recieved the shot and I have not been able to find if anyone ever recovers from this poison! You have renewed my hope that all of her side effects will subside. She too has the headaches, muscle aches, stomach aches, etc. etc. etc. We are seeing a homeopathic doctor to try to detox or cheleate her. It just isn't moving along quick enough for any of us. This drug is a NIGHTMARE! It should be taken off the market.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2009
    • 11:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am having the same problem, but I am 46 and have never had the vaccination. I have at least a dozen huge canker sores in my mouth. My vagina area is severely irritated and now I am getting blisters around my breasts. My doctor put me on an anti-viral (Acyclovir) and Metronidazole. I hope it works. I'm miserable.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• hello, everyone I stumbled on this forum through google and never considered guardasil to be the root of all this because I had the shots two years ago. I am twenty right now and in the past couple of months my body has gone crazy. It all started last month when I developed a stye in one of my eyes, something I'd never had before in my life. Then, it healed and another stye developed in the other eye. I'm not sure if this is related, but this is when things started going down with my health. Recently, last week or so, I developed horrible painful canker sores (again I've never had this before in my life) in the left side of my throat near my tonsil. I also had majorly swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck which were very painful. My doctor said the location was strange for herpes, but tested it anyway. In the last couple of days, I developed sores within the lips of my vagina as the mouth sores healed and my lymph nodes in the neck subsided to normal size. So, today I rushed to the clinic and the clinic doctor working there couldn't tell me any specific, but told me I'd get the results in a week. As I was leaving, my other doctor who tested the ulcers in my throat called and said I was negative for herpes. I'm very positive it's not herpes, but I am very confused. The doctor who took a look at my vagina kept saying the word suspicious and how I don't have typical herpes symptoms. I would like to note I've been very very stressed the past couple of months and my nutrition has been poor at best. I just really would like to know what's going on with me and I'm glad to see that there are similar people out there.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 28, 2010
    • 04:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • a very important thing to note from your post is that any vaccine is meant to be administered to HEALTHY INDIVIDUALS. However, if you did indeed test positive for mononucleosis (epstein-barr) a week later, you may have been in an already IMMUNOCOMPROMISED STATE DUE TO THE INFECTION WHICH WAS SUBCLINICAL AT THE TIME when the vaccine was administered, which could then cause the development of the symptoms you describe. This is just a possibility to consider with your physician.
    gregtfish 67 Replies
    • October 28, 2010
    • 09:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement