Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Heat Intolerance with NO sweating - pls help

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: maggiemd
  • April 27, 2009
  • 02:31 AM

For the past 4 years I get extreme heat intolerance 4-5 times each summer. The first one or two bouts is usually in late April/early May, right when the temps start getting into the mid-80s or higher. I am a 37 yr old woman with no history of thyroid issues in fact when it happened last year my Doctor had me come in for a full range of blood and thyroid tests and all came back normal. Stumped, she diagnosed it as a "non-menopausal hot flash." This is not satisfying to me as I want to pinpoint the problem and determine how best to deal with it. The worst part of it is that it is totally unpredictable when it happens. It started in the summer 2005. The symptoms are an *extremely* uncomfortable feeling of overheating, sometimes in temperatures as low as 79 degrees, but usually with temperatures in the 90s. My skin is hot, flushed, and DRY, not sweaty at all. I begin to feel very agitated and have trouble focusing on a conversation. Others around me are perfectly fine and often not even sweating. When this happens I typically down as much ice water as I can drink (6-7 tall glasses) and step into the bathroom every 20-30 minutes to put ice cubes under my arm pits and in my bra and underwear to bring down my internal temperature. I also typically have diarrhea when this happens, probably from the anxiety. The intolerance will typically last 2-3 hours and it is completely hellacious - feels like your brain is frying. Once it passes, I feel perfectly fine and can return to my normal life... until a month or two later when it happens again with no warning. One of my friends suggested I start carrying Endurolytes with me - these are salt capsules that triathlon athletes take during a race. I don't want to do that until I check with my doctor. I am not on any Rx except for contraceptives. What is causing this?? I should also say that I am generally not able to sweat - when I work out, I can only work out in an air conditioned gym and usually only in spurts of 10 minutes of intensive running/rowing machine and then I have to have a cool-down break b/c my skin turns BRIGHT pink and I get incredibly hot and I don't break a sweat until I'm changing out of my gym clothes in the locker room. Please help!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement