Discussions By Condition: Other Conditions

Worst symptom - Tendonitis in multiple joints!

Posted In: Other Conditions 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 23, 2009
  • 07:27 PM

First of all thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry about the lengthy post...

I've been sick for the past 3 years. My story started with an elevated liver panel. The symptoms I had at the time were identical to hepatitis A, but all tests came back negative. I had about a week of feeling very tired (I slept about 18-20 hours a day), diarreah, no appetitie and aching all over. I remember feeling like I was coming down with the flu, but no sore throat or runny nose. After about a week my appetite came back, but after eating I got sick to my stomach, and it lasted for about a week. They diagnosed me with Mono, but I had already had that a few years earlier.

Anyhow... fast forward... After this I noticed my ankle would hurt me from time to time. Like I had sprained it. It would disappear just as quickly as it showed up, so I blamed it on bad shoes.

Then a few months later I had 2 weeks of awful diarreah with stomach pain. I was also having some pain in my back on the right side. I was very fatigued, and slept everytime I had a chance. I was admitted in to the hospital, where they gave me a very good check up. They ran loads of blood tests, and I had a colonscopy that showed ulcers in my colon. All blood came back normal except for a slightly elevated wbcc and a slightly positive Iga-RF. I was told that the Iga-RF, was nothing to worry about and that colitis was of an infectious origin.

About a month after the hospial episode, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (unknown cause) and high blood pressure. In the mean time the tendon problems started to spread to my other foot and I started realize that there was something more then I understood going on.

My bowels never went back to normal. On a normal day I have 3-5 BM's, sometimes diarreah, sometimes not, but never a normal looking BM. My eyes are dry (tested), my mouth is dry (I have a chronic infection in the minor salivary glands, but not enough to confirm Sjogrens).

In addition I have flares of the following symptoms:

Tendonitis - at the moment in my right shoulder, left ankle, knees, 4 fingers, and right elbow.

A pimple like rash on my chest and back. If I touch it it gets itchy and a cheezy like substance comes out if I squeeze. (sorry for being grafic)

Mouth ulcers - as soon as one heals, another shows up.

Anyhow... I was hoping someone might have experienced something simular and could maybe give me a clue to what could be the cause of all these awful symptoms.

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• bumping this up... anyone??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi!So- I have almost exactly the same symptoms! About a year ago, I was exhausted and sleeping all the time, and had indigestion etc. I also have had problems with tendonitis in my achilles (or 2.5 years now), and my arms, as well as carpal tunnel, shin splints, and (now) seemingly every tendon/ligament in my ankles. I didn't go to the doctor when I was tired- I just thought maybe I was coming down with the flu. In the last couple of months, my tendonitis has gotten much worse, my appetite has disappeared, and I have come out with an acne-like rash on my back. In the last week, I have also had sore gums. In the past couple of years, I have been cold and tired all the time, but I just decided that it was normal for me, since it went on for so long. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what this is. I had an appointment with a Sports Med. doctor that I had originally made for my shin splints/achilles tendonitis, but when I was there, I mentioned that I was having tendon pain almost everywhere. He sent me for a ton of blood tests, and I am seeing him again in two weeks. My GP is finally starting to consider that there might be something wrong other than just regular tendonitis, and he sent me out for all the blood tests the sports med guy didn't order. But my GP has admitted he is totally stumped, and shooting in the dark. Until I read this, I thought maybe I was just paranoid, and these symptoms were completely unrelated. My GP certainly thinks that way. If you find anything, please let me know! I will do the same! I am an extremely active person, and this is killing me!
  • It sounds like the exact same thing my best friend is going through, and she just found out she has MS. Might want to get tested for it. Sorry =(
  • Also might try blood test for celiac disease. It is being reclassified as an autoimmune disorder. They have discovered a much wider range of symptoms than just intestinal ones. Many of those are ones you mentioned.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2009
    • 09:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have unexplained tendonitis all over. Also gets into my soft tissues. Only have major digestion problems with fructose (watch fructans too) and lactose. Maybe try eliminating those and see if it makes a difference. Strangely I had some of the strange skin problems when it first started. I'm thinking either a chronically irritated digestive system kicks off a nasty autoimmune response, or that a chronically irritated system causes nutrient losses my body needs, or that my thyroid is underperforming. As usual, nothing at all ever shows up in regular lab tests, except anemia (also potentially because of absorption problems).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 04:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The fact that you had diarreah and it is infectious, is a good lead to follow. What kind of infectious agent? It is very important to know. Because some kind of Gastro-Intestinal tract infectious agent may cause Reiter's syndrome "or reactive arthritis". Salmonella, Campylobacter, Yersinia, Shigella, E. coli, and Vibrio, are the most common. If you are tested positive for the genetic marker HLA-B27.. the risc of developing RA is significantly higher. you may want to visit http://www.about-reactive-arthritis.com/ and check it out. Or maybe suggest further investigations to your doctor.First of all thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry about the lengthy post...I've been sick for the past 3 years. My story started with an elevated liver panel. The symptoms I had at the time were identical to hepatitis A, but all tests came back negative. I had about a week of feeling very tired (I slept about 18-20 hours a day), diarreah, no appetitie and aching all over. I remember feeling like I was coming down with the flu, but no sore throat or runny nose. After about a week my appetite came back, but after eating I got sick to my stomach, and it lasted for about a week. They diagnosed me with Mono, but I had already had that a few years earlier.Anyhow... fast forward... After this I noticed my ankle would hurt me from time to time. Like I had sprained it. It would disappear just as quickly as it showed up, so I blamed it on bad shoes. Then a few months later I had 2 weeks of awful diarreah with stomach pain. I was also having some pain in my back on the right side. I was very fatigued, and slept everytime I had a chance. I was admitted in to the hospital, where they gave me a very good check up. They ran loads of blood tests, and I had a colonscopy that showed ulcers in my colon. All blood came back normal except for a slightly elevated wbcc and a slightly positive Iga-RF. I was told that the Iga-RF, was nothing to worry about and that colitis was of an infectious origin. About a month after the hospial episode, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (unknown cause) and high blood pressure. In the mean time the tendon problems started to spread to my other foot and I started realize that there was something more then I understood going on. My bowels never went back to normal. On a normal day I have 3-5 BM's, sometimes diarreah, sometimes not, but never a normal looking BM. My eyes are dry (tested), my mouth is dry (I have a chronic infection in the minor salivary glands, but not enough to confirm Sjogrens). In addition I have flares of the following symptoms: Tendonitis - at the moment in my right shoulder, left ankle, knees, 4 fingers, and right elbow.A pimple like rash on my chest and back. If I touch it it gets itchy and a cheezy like substance comes out if I squeeze. (sorry for being grafic)Mouth ulcers - as soon as one heals, another shows up. Anyhow... I was hoping someone might have experienced something simular and could maybe give me a clue to what could be the cause of all these awful symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 00:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If I were you I would run not walk to the doctor to get tested for Celiac Disease. Your symptoms are classic down to the rash.Here's a link:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319First of all thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry about the lengthy post...I've been sick for the past 3 years. My story started with an elevated liver panel. The symptoms I had at the time were identical to hepatitis A, but all tests came back negative. I had about a week of feeling very tired (I slept about 18-20 hours a day), diarreah, no appetitie and aching all over. I remember feeling like I was coming down with the flu, but no sore throat or runny nose. After about a week my appetite came back, but after eating I got sick to my stomach, and it lasted for about a week. They diagnosed me with Mono, but I had already had that a few years earlier.Anyhow... fast forward... After this I noticed my ankle would hurt me from time to time. Like I had sprained it. It would disappear just as quickly as it showed up, so I blamed it on bad shoes. Then a few months later I had 2 weeks of awful diarreah with stomach pain. I was also having some pain in my back on the right side. I was very fatigued, and slept everytime I had a chance. I was admitted in to the hospital, where they gave me a very good check up. They ran loads of blood tests, and I had a colonscopy that showed ulcers in my colon. All blood came back normal except for a slightly elevated wbcc and a slightly positive Iga-RF. I was told that the Iga-RF, was nothing to worry about and that colitis was of an infectious origin. About a month after the hospial episode, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (unknown cause) and high blood pressure. In the mean time the tendon problems started to spread to my other foot and I started realize that there was something more then I understood going on. My bowels never went back to normal. On a normal day I have 3-5 BM's, sometimes diarreah, sometimes not, but never a normal looking BM. My eyes are dry (tested), my mouth is dry (I have a chronic infection in the minor salivary glands, but not enough to confirm Sjogrens). In addition I have flares of the following symptoms: Tendonitis - at the moment in my right shoulder, left ankle, knees, 4 fingers, and right elbow.A pimple like rash on my chest and back. If I touch it it gets itchy and a cheezy like substance comes out if I squeeze. (sorry for being grafic)Mouth ulcers - as soon as one heals, another shows up. Anyhow... I was hoping someone might have experienced something simular and could maybe give me a clue to what could be the cause of all these awful symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2010
    • 06:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Unbelievable ! I am up at 4 am because i hurt too bad to sleep...pretty typical. I have been battling severe joint pain for over a year now! Started with my wrists, then ankles, elbows and now knees....i am 42 years old and up until i had my first child at 36, i was VERY active and athletic. I have seen my regular physician and have had so many labs drawn with NOTHING showing ANYTHING! My activity is now limited to a few painful trips up and down the stairs (anyone have to go down the stairs backwards to avoid more pain and potential for falling?). I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (i call it a cop-out diagnosis) and pre-rheumatoid arthritis.....taking meds that would choke a horse and as many vitamins to boot! Have been weaning myself off the fibro meds (against the advice of my doctor) and am nearly off it...the arthritis med is next to go! I cannot get through a day without loads of an anti-inflamatory med and Vicodin....(very careful not to get hooked on this one). My appetite has decreased but the weight still increasing....how does that happen? Bowels are never the same....irritated most of the time...which makes it tough to . I have cut out artificial sweetners, and caffine...not really any relief. SOOOO Tired all the time and tired of not knowing what is causing all of this! Who knew that you could have tendonitis in multiple joints all at the same time??!! I found this webiste tonight (this am) and it showed me all the various locations AND pics of the joints that have been hurting! Don't the doctors have this????? EVERY joint that is hurting was pinpointed on this website! www.iTendonitis.com.NOW for a call to my doctor tomorrow!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!I need someone to chat with who is going through the same thing!! Trish@cornerstonecottageky.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2010
    • 09:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Also, consider spondyloarthropathy. The "ulcers" in the colon if diagnosed as a colitis would be supportive of this diagnosis in light of diffuse tendonitis.
  • Have you been tested for vitamin D deficiency? It causes joint pain and lowers your immune system.
  • If I were you I would run not walk to the doctor to get tested for Celiac Disease. Your symptoms are classic down to the rash.Here's a link:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319I have some of your symptoms...Fatigue, dry eyes and mouth, hips, shoulders, wrist, ankles,knees, neck and shoulders hurt..In the mornings they are really stiff..I went to see a rheumatologist 6 months ago..He ran a battery of tests..I had an extremely high ana titer which means some kind of autoimmune disease like lupus..He has me on prednisone, and plaquanil..It helps, but I am having to take more more to get some relief..This disease causes great harm to your tendons..Have the doctors drawn an ana titer..and also sed rate..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2011
    • 04:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Have you guys considered Lyme disease? I've also had awful tendinitis for several years now. Yesterday it was coupled on the back of my knee with a very sore rash, which has given me perhaps another clue. I believe I had Lyme disease 15 years ago, and I don't think it ever goes away. It is known to attack the tendons. It would really explain things for me, and maybe for some of you as well. Doctors generally know nothing about Lyme disease unfortunately.
    crowcity 4 Replies
    • February 26, 2011
    • 08:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Unbelievable ! I am up at 4 am because i hurt too bad to sleep...pretty typical. I have been battling severe joint pain for over a year now! Started with my wrists, then ankles, elbows and now knees....i am 42 years old and up until i had my first child at 36, i was VERY active and athletic. I have seen my regular physician and have had so many labs drawn with NOTHING showing ANYTHING! My activity is now limited to a few painful trips up and down the stairs (anyone have to go down the stairs backwards to avoid more pain and potential for falling?). I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (i call it a cop-out diagnosis) and pre-rheumatoid arthritis.....taking meds that would choke a horse and as many vitamins to boot! Have been weaning myself off the fibro meds (against the advice of my doctor) and am nearly off it...the arthritis med is next to go! I cannot get through a day without loads of an anti-inflamatory med and Vicodin....(very careful not to get hooked on this one). My appetite has decreased but the weight still increasing....how does that happen? Bowels are never the same....irritated most of the time...which makes it tough to . I have cut out artificial sweetners, and caffine...not really any relief. SOOOO Tired all the time and tired of not knowing what is causing all of this! Who knew that you could have tendonitis in multiple joints all at the same time??!! I found this webiste tonight (this am) and it showed me all the various locations AND pics of the joints that have been hurting! Don't the doctors have this????? EVERY joint that is hurting was pinpointed on this website! www.iTendonitis.com. NOW for a call to my doctor tomorrow!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!I need someone to chat with who is going through the same thing!! Trish@cornerstonecottageky.com Also consider methylB12/methylfolate/P5P/betaine/copper (active B) deficiencies...I had joint pain all over and was tested for celiac which I don'y have, but I had my genes tested at www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm and have all sorts of genetic defects in the area of B12 etc. absorption, many of which my estrogen got me around until it started to wane. For a B12 protocol go to the B12 deficiency topic herein.
    madanthony 1,087 Replies
    • February 27, 2011
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was looking up similar symptoms for myself and came across this (interestingly from the post below can be mis-diagnosed as MS) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers%E2%80%93Danlos_syndromehttp://www.ednf.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1347&Itemid=88888968while it's somewhat comforting to have a name there doesn't seem to be any treatment aside from treating each individual problem...best of luck First of all thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry about the lengthy post...I've been sick for the past 3 years. My story started with an elevated liver panel. The symptoms I had at the time were identical to hepatitis A, but all tests came back negative. I had about a week of feeling very tired (I slept about 18-20 hours a day), diarreah, no appetitie and aching all over. I remember feeling like I was coming down with the flu, but no sore throat or runny nose. After about a week my appetite came back, but after eating I got sick to my stomach, and it lasted for about a week. They diagnosed me with Mono, but I had already had that a few years earlier.Anyhow... fast forward... After this I noticed my ankle would hurt me from time to time. Like I had sprained it. It would disappear just as quickly as it showed up, so I blamed it on bad shoes. Then a few months later I had 2 weeks of awful diarreah with stomach pain. I was also having some pain in my back on the right side. I was very fatigued, and slept everytime I had a chance. I was admitted in to the hospital, where they gave me a very good check up. They ran loads of blood tests, and I had a colonscopy that showed ulcers in my colon. All blood came back normal except for a slightly elevated wbcc and a slightly positive Iga-RF. I was told that the Iga-RF, was nothing to worry about and that colitis was of an infectious origin. About a month after the hospial episode, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (unknown cause) and high blood pressure. In the mean time the tendon problems started to spread to my other foot and I started realize that there was something more then I understood going on. My bowels never went back to normal. On a normal day I have 3-5 BM's, sometimes diarreah, sometimes not, but never a normal looking BM. My eyes are dry (tested), my mouth is dry (I have a chronic infection in the minor salivary glands, but not enough to confirm Sjogrens). In addition I have flares of the following symptoms: Tendonitis - at the moment in my right shoulder, left ankle, knees, 4 fingers, and right elbow.A pimple like rash on my chest and back. If I touch it it gets itchy and a cheezy like substance comes out if I squeeze. (sorry for being grafic)Mouth ulcers - as soon as one heals, another shows up. Anyhow... I was hoping someone might have experienced something simular and could maybe give me a clue to what could be the cause of all these awful symptoms.
    aprillabbe 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Has anyone found out a diagnosis or had diseases ruled out? I have been suffering with the same exact symptoms for a year except for the rash. I detoxed and my liver functions have returned to normal but the tendon pain has spread to more locations. My info is below. ThanksSummary: I have had tendonitis for a year now in both knees (patella tendon & medial aspect), both elbows (medial & lateral) & both shoulders (biceps tendon). I have had plantar fasciitis in both feet for 3 years now. I tore my left Achilles tendon in October 2007. I am also experiencing lower back pain (Lumbar / Sacrum). I have recently started to feel tendon pain in both wrists and hands over the last month or so. I am a fitness fanatic and have not been able to workout in a year due to these issues. I started to ride my bike (no knee pain) in the last 4-5 weeks to and from work to get some type of exercise. I have noticed in the last week that both my Achilles have started to hurt along with my right shin (had shin splints in 1993-1994 from using the Strength Shoes). I am thinking the Achilles pain is from standing while climbing hills on my bike. The pain in my elbows (medial) feels like the tendon is going to tear from the bone if I am holding &/or gripping something too heavy. I will have pain doing normal things like brushing my teeth, opening a jar & taking a shower. The left elbow is worse than the right, but when both are flared up the pain is equal. The pain in my elbows (lateral) comes and goes. If I lift something to heavy it cause intense pain. The pain is very intense and constant in my feet and knees, like an icy/hot tingling pain. I will have acute pain in my toes every so often as well. I have acute pain in my knees on the patella tendon and medial aspect that seems to alternate from one to the other. Hip flexors / quads are constantly short/tight which I believe led to several hamstring injuries in the past. Other symptoms: Occasional muscle spasms in arms, back, legs and abs. Numbness in pinky & ring finger in both hands when arm is in complete flexion. Pain seems to go away while sleeping. I tested negative for Anti-nuclear antibodies and Leaky Gut Syndrome. I am currently being treated by a Naturopath and Internist. I have an appointment with both of them on Monday March 19th. I have all of my blood work if you would like any info to review. I did use AAS for 5 years prior to these issues developing. Current Treatments: Infrared Sauna Detox - 130 degrees for 30 minutes 2x's / wk (High Liver Function & General Health) Tyler Mineral Complex w/o Iron - 2 ea after SaunaTRT - Previously prescribed 200 mg / wk of Test Cyp (Meeting Monday w/ doctors to discuss lab work and plan of action for bio-identical testosterone)Detox Cocktail - 2x's / day (Metabolic Maintenance Vit C 1000 mg, Integrative Therapeutics Recancostat 400 1 ea, NAC 600 mg 1 ea & Metabolic Maintenance Lipoic Acid (alpha) 300 mg 1 ea) Metagenics UltraInflamX Plus 360 - 2 scoops / day Zyflamend - 2 ea 3x's / day SuperCissus RX™ 800 mg - 2 ea 3x's / day Jarrow Bromelain 1000 - 1 ea / meal Kyo-Green Tablets - 2 ea 2x's / day Kyo-Dophilus Acidophilius 9 - 2 ea 2x's / day Kyolic Garlic Formula 102 - 2 ea 2x's / day Melatonin 5mg - 1 per night Perque Detox In Guard - 2 ea / day Perque Liva Guard - 2 ea / day Perque EPA/DHA Guard - 2 ea / day Biotics Research Bio-D-Mulsion - 6,000 iu's / day Biotics Research Bio-K-Mulsion - 500 mcg's / day Magnesium - (Natural Calm Ionic Magnesium Citrate 350 mg/day) Increasing to 900 mg/dayIcing - Ice after riding bike to and from work and any other time I can fit it in the dayStretching Extensor & Flexor's Static Hip Flexor Foam Roll Hip Flexor & Quads Dynamic Hip FlexorRehab Exercises Forearm flexor and Extensor stretching Wrist Flexion Wrist Extension Forearm Pronation/Supination Broomstick Extension Nutrition: 40/30/30 Approx 2,300 cals (cutting calories from body fat gained from being sedentary) Clean diet, no processed foods, mostly fresh Organic meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, & oils No dairy or gluten Went night-shade free for 2 months, felt somewhat better. Tried to workout and the pain was right back to the same level. So started eating night shades again. 3/4 to 1 gal of RO water / day
    InsanePain 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • All the symptoms that I'm reading in this thread sound like Fibromyalgia and I haven't seen it mentioned.
    reneecarrigan 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Fibro, that was my first thought - second rheumatoid arthritis.
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement