Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

toddler, only symptom random vomiting

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: SharonN
  • April 21, 2009
  • 00:05 PM

Our 2.5 year old started random vomiting 4 weeks ago. Vomits only once a day, can go two or three days with no episodes, then starts again. Blood, urine, allergy tests, physical exam all normal. She vomits at different times of the day without any warning, and she is not bothered about the incident. She will immediately resume playing, or may say she's hungry. Both an MRI to rule out neurological disease and a barium swallow have been ordered, although pediatrician does not think she has a tumor or GERD for that matter.

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Our 2.5 year old started random vomiting 4 weeks ago. Vomits only once a day, can go two or three days with no episodes, then starts again. Blood, urine, allergy tests, physical exam all normal. She vomits at different times of the day without any warning, and she is not bothered about the incident. She will immediately resume playing, or may say she's hungry. Both an MRI to rule out neurological disease and a barium swallow have been ordered, although pediatrician does not think she has a tumor or GERD for that matter.Hi SharonN,Bet you've got your hands a bit full these days. That age is a lot of fun...and a LOT of work!Several questions...Has your daughter ever had episodes of vomiting (other than the usual that is standard for most babies) when she was a baby? When she vomits now, is she vomiting digested or undigested food...or perhaps clear secretions and/or mucus? Large, small, or variable amounts? Is her vomiting at all forceful or explosive? Any current bowel problems such as either constipation or diarrhea?Sorry for the "twenty questions", but you can never have too much information!Best regards,John<
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • Our 2.5 year old started random vomiting 4 weeks ago. Vomits only once a day, can go two or three days with no episodes, then starts again. Blood, urine, allergy tests, physical exam all normal. She vomits at different times of the day without any warning, and she is not bothered about the incident. She will immediately resume playing, or may say she's hungry. Both an MRI to rule out neurological disease and a barium swallow have been ordered, although pediatrician does not think she has a tumor or GERD for that matter.Sharon- ever find out what it is/was? my 15 mo son has similiar problems - although always after eating. he gets pale and vomits about every 3 days. he had reflux as an infant. Mary
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2009
    • 06:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you tried feeding her a bland diet?
    kermworm 81 Replies
    • September 12, 2009
    • 04:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sharon- ever find out what it is/was? my 15 mo son has similiar problems - although always after eating. he gets pale and vomits about every 3 days. he had reflux as an infant. MaryMy daughter has had random vomiting episodes since she was a toddler (she is now 14 years old). About 6 years ago we took her to a chiropractor at the suggestion of a friend and not knowing what else to try. After a couple of visits the vomiting stopped. Even now, if she goes more than about 4 weeks without being adjusted the vomiting returns. In fact, occasionally she will still vomit about 3 weeks after the adjustment but it is rare for her to do it much sooner than that after seeing the chiropractor. Eating excessive sweets late at night or certain food colorings also seem to play a role.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 17, 2009
    • 02:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Our 2.5 year old started random vomiting 4 weeks ago. Vomits only once a day, can go two or three days with no episodes, then starts again. Blood, urine, allergy tests, physical exam all normal. She vomits at different times of the day without any warning, and she is not bothered about the incident. She will immediately resume playing, or may say she's hungry. Both an MRI to rule out neurological disease and a barium swallow have been ordered, although pediatrician does not think she has a tumor or GERD for that matter.I hate to say this, but our noww 16 month old had the same thing at 9 months and it was a brain tumor on her brain stem. GET AN MRI for sure! it took them 3 months to do her MRI and we could not believe it once it came back because the CT was clear. she is doing well now, she has some catching up to do - we were lucky, caught it fairly early, and we were able to remove with surgery. 4 months home now from the hospital and she is still in therapy for speech/swallowing, and is learning to walk a little.GOOD LUCK! I hope your daughter does not have a tumor, but knowing for sure will bring relief and treatment.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2009
    • 07:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sharon, Our 21 month old daughter has been experienceing the sames exact issue for the past 3 weeks. Do you have any update from the MRI or Barium Swallow? Thank you.Our 2.5 year old started random vomiting 4 weeks ago. Vomits only once a day, can go two or three days with no episodes, then starts again. Blood, urine, allergy tests, physical exam all normal. She vomits at different times of the day without any warning, and she is not bothered about the incident. She will immediately resume playing, or may say she's hungry. Both an MRI to rule out neurological disease and a barium swallow have been ordered, although pediatrician does not think she has a tumor or GERD for that matter.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2009
    • 09:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter has been throwing up every morning (between 4am-8am) for 6 days and before that intermittently for 11 days. CT scan clear. Did anyone find out what their child had?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2009
    • 01:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter has been throwing up every morning (between 4am-8am) for 6 days and before that intermittently for 11 days. CT scan clear. Did anyone find out what their child had?My son is 25 months old and for the past six weeks he has been vomiting about every other day. After he is done, he just gets up and starts playing again. I am taking him to the doctor on Monday, but does anyone have any results yet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2009
    • 09:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Twenty years ago I went through the same thing with my daughter. It took 11 months of this then once in a while she would spike a very high fever (106.9). Turns out it was a tube that led to her kidney of sorts it was small and she just needed time to grow or should I say the tube did. Eventually she stopped throwing up and the fevers. To this day all she has to do is keep her kidneys flushed with cranberry. When she doesnt she gets an infection otherwise she is an active normal young woman in college hope this helps. Sharon, Our 21 month old daughter has been experienceing the sames exact issue for the past 3 weeks. Do you have any update from the MRI or Barium Swallow? Thank you.
    pearl020406 3 Replies
    • December 22, 2009
    • 01:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Our 2.5 year old started random vomiting 4 weeks ago. Vomits only once a day, can go two or three days with no episodes, then starts again. Blood, urine, allergy tests, physical exam all normal. She vomits at different times of the day without any warning, and she is not bothered about the incident. She will immediately resume playing, or may say she's hungry. Both an MRI to rule out neurological disease and a barium swallow have been ordered, although pediatrician does not think she has a tumor or GERD for that matter.If you have gas heat it can be carbon monoxide.Some allergy tests only test for one reaction either Ige or Iga or IggHAve all of those level s tested.It could be an in home cleaning agent formaldhyde based or a POV from paint.Think basic enviornmental causes and try to rule them out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2009
    • 01:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hey, i'm a 21 years old girl and i had the same problem for last 3 months.. i was just vomiting and vomiting especially at nights.. there was no diagnosis for me but then doctors made some hormonal tests and they said i have "isolated acth deficiency" because of two tumors on my pituitary gland.. now i'm using steroids and i feel really good.. maybe your child has not any tumors but it can be a hormonal disorder, especially about acth and cortisol..best wishes..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2009
    • 09:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Twenty years ago I went through the same thing with my daughter. It took 11 months of this then once in a while she would spike a very high fever (106.9). Turns out it was a tube that led to her kidney of sorts it was small and she just needed time to grow or should I say the tube did. Eventually she stopped throwing up and the fevers. To this day all she has to do is keep her kidneys flushed with cranberry. When she doesnt she gets an infection otherwise she is an active normal young woman in college hope this helps.I am not sure if someone will read this message as it is a reply to quite some old posts...My 3 yr old son has been vomiting every day (with an exception of 2 days) for 24 days now (still counting).He is fine in the morning, hungry and eats, plays, but come early afternoon, he becomes very lethargic and sometimes sleeps sometimes not, but always intermittently followed by vomiting. He started to vomit for 1-2 times a day to currently 3-9 times a day.All bloodtests, urine/poo/vomit samples, X-rays, barium and CT-scan came up clean. He doesn't seem to loose much weight, compared to how much he's being sick...We've been advised to restrict his diet and exclude diary, but he still vomits.We now have to keep a diary and write everything he does, from wee's, what he eats and what times he vomits. Another 7 days before we can return to his paeds... (That would mean he's vomited for 31 days!)Any ideas as to help my boy from being sick? He's been given ondansetron, which he vomits 1 min later...His paeds keeps saying that if it is his son, he wouldn't be too worried, but I can't help being worried over my head!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Our son has had this same problem. He is now 4 1/2 years old. And has random vomiting. He will hold his tummy and whine. And he acts like he is nauseasted a lot. Talked with the dr about it and they were saying Gastritis and put him on Zantac. He was doing better but has flared up again. He had an MRI not long ago and the results were just fine. Also, found out my sister has Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome so he might have that as well. It's definitely something to consider. I hate seeing him in pain and feeling so helpless not knowing what is wrong. I hope all of you are able to find answers for your children and I hope that our son gets some answers soon as to what is causing all of this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2010
    • 07:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My son had the EXACT same symptoms when he was 2 years old. I was completely beside myself with fear! After many dr. visits and tests (including the barium swallow), it was determined that he had nothing more than a sensitive gag reflex. He is now almost 16 years old, and can still vomit at the drop of a hat. Good that your doctor is running the tests, but don't let yourself automatically assume the worst case scenario, especially since she has no other symptoms, and isn't bothered by the vomiting.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2010
    • 05:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter has had the same problem for 16 years. Like another poster above we took her to the chiropractor for lack of anything else to try. As long as she is adjusted every four weeks she tends to do pretty well. Eating late is definitely a trigger and she has to avoid that.Also, we got an ozone air purifier once a few years back when they were all the rage. That caused her vomiting every night until we figured it out. Fortunately, it was only a few nights.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2010
    • 04:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My 17 month old son is having similar problems. He has been having the problem for SIX MONTHS!!! He went straight from spitting up to vomiting. Its anywhere from morning to night, after a car ride or the middle of dinner, while moving or while stationary, several times a day to once every 2 weeks, etc. The docs ordered a CT scan, nothing. Now they're taking a blood sample for allergy tests. my normal pediatrician waved it off as a lactose intolerance and refuses to talk to me any more about it, so i went to another doctor, who ordered the allergy testing.A friend recommended looking up pyloric stenosis, but that doesnt seem to be what he has. But it might help any of you, if your child has those symptoms!Anyone have any idea what could be my son's problem? He vomits food, liquid, anything. Doesnt seem to be any bile or blood. He does have frequent ear infections and may have asthma, though. the docs say it could be caused by abdominal migraines, an extreme gag reflex, acid reflux, food he eats, motion sickness, animals, dust, plants, a slow-to-develop digestive system, anything.
  • Twenty years ago I went through the same thing with my daughter. It took 11 months of this then once in a while she would spike a very high fever (106.9). Turns out it was a tube that led to her kidney of sorts it was small and she just needed time to grow or should I say the tube did. Eventually she stopped throwing up and the fevers. To this day all she has to do is keep her kidneys flushed with cranberry. When she doesnt she gets an infection otherwise she is an active normal young woman in college hope this helps.My son started doing that at 2.5 and stopped for a while after we took him off dairy. We let him have dairy the last two days and he has resumed the vomiting...today is the worst after eating cheese enchiladas. So for us I am going to chalk this one up as a dairy allergy unless it continues after we take him off the dairy. He is now 3.3 years old.
  • My 17 month old son is having similar problems. He has been having the problem for SIX MONTHS!!! He went straight from spitting up to vomiting. Its anywhere from morning to night, after a car ride or the middle of dinner, while moving or while stationary, several times a day to once every 2 weeks, etc. The docs ordered a CT scan, nothing. Now they're taking a blood sample for allergy tests. my normal pediatrician waved it off as a lactose intolerance and refuses to talk to me any more about it, so i went to another doctor, who ordered the allergy testing.A friend recommended looking up pyloric stenosis, but that doesnt seem to be what he has. But it might help any of you, if your child has those symptoms!Anyone have any idea what could be my son's problem? He vomits food, liquid, anything. Doesnt seem to be any bile or blood. He does have frequent ear infections and may have asthma, though. the docs say it could be caused by abdominal migraines, an extreme gag reflex, acid reflux, food he eats, motion sickness, animals, dust, plants, a slow-to-develop digestive system, anything.My daughter sounds very similar to your son. She has been throwing up anywhere from 3-4 times a day to once every 2 weeks for over a year and a half now. We have had her tested for everything and it all comes back normal. To keep her hydrated and nourished we have to feed her a diet of almost 100% hypoallergenic formula. She's taking Neurontin and Zofran, which help to keep the vomiting to a minimum, but it doesn't tame her hyper-gag reflex enough for her to eat solids. We've tried lots of other medications, with little to no success. How is your son doing now?
  • I just began having this problem with my daughter (who is 4) still not sure what it is- Although I have ran into some information on Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome you might be interesting into looking into. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/
  • I am currently struggling through this w my 2.5 yr old. We have been to the doctor and urgent care with no findings. Did you ever get an answer to this, or how long did it last?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • December 14, 2014
    • 06:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement