Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Lichen sclerosis?

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 1, 2006
  • 06:25 AM

Today I visited the gynocologist for what i suspected to be a gential wort. it was in fact, that, but in addition to my HPV diagnosis, i was also informed that I almost undoubtedly have a rare condition called Lichen sclerosis.

Since I was about 15, I have noticed odd changes in and around my inner/outer labia. I did not suspect there was something wrong because i thought my genitals were just this way. I am now 24, and I have suffered from what I had been told as chronic yeast infections... too much sugar in my diet the clinic would tell me. Monthy, sometimes semi-monthly i would treat the "yeast infection" with an over the counter cream, and about a week later i would feel better, but sometimes i wouldn't. the cream would burn, and sometimes it was so bad i would have to call off work or refrain from daily activities.

upon doing the exam, i was asked if i ever have vaginal intching, i said yes. then i was asked if i sensation in my ***t. i said yes, but not a lot. i just thought i had a "small" ***t, or that it was not pronounced like others was. as it turns out i have scar tissue completely covering my entire clitoris, as well as the inner and outer labia, to where the skin has completely fused together. i also have dark almost purple spots around my inner labia. these are signs of severe lychens. since i had gone misdiagnosed for so many years, the scar tissue is irreversible.

i am going to get my biopsy in one month to confirm it is lychens, but it seems that it certainly must be, as these are the symptoms.

i am wondering if anyone has this, or can share some information with me about it. it is very rare, and the more i can learn the better. i am feeling very overwhelmed with a dual diagnosis of genital worts and this in just one day, esp. being that i am young, and just starting to really enjoy sex. i feel like my sex life has suddenly taken a serious turn. this is very hard. i am afraid my boyfriend may lose interest in me, because our sex life is for the most part pretty good. when i have lychens outbreaks (severe itching), we dont have sex of course, but i am afraid that i will have to do the cortisone treatments for the rest of my life. can this go away? i am happy to know that it is not chronic yeast infections, but this is quite sad.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement