Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

slight burning/tingling feeling in hands

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: aditya.us
  • April 18, 2009
  • 01:47 AM

srry if i made a mistake in the forums....im new to this.

I'm indian and my hand are more of a reddish-white color when there supposed to be tannish-brown.

also sometimes(twice a week for maybe 20 minutes) i have a tingling/slight burning feeling between my thumb and pointer finger.

it happens on both hands

what is causing the red hands and tingling?

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• srry if i made a mistake in the forums....im new to this. I'm indian and my hand are more of a reddish-white color when there supposed to be tannish-brown.also sometimes(twice a week for maybe 20 minutes) i have a tingling/slight burning feeling between my thumb and pointer finger.it happens on both handswhat is causing the red hands and tingling?Hi aditya.us,There is a possibility that you have either primary Raynaud's Disease or a secondary form called Raynaud's Phenomenon (or Syndrome). Raynaud's is a condition that causes intermittent restriction of blood flow to the hands. The tingling and color change you are experiencing in your hands are both symptoms of Raynaud's.The other possibility is that you have developed a condition called peripheral neuropathy which is caused by some type of problem with the nerves in your hands. I don't think that this is as likely as the Raynaud's.This link has good information but you should see your Primary Care Doc for an evaluation.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433/DSECTION=causesBest regards,John<
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • im still not convinced.....mayoclinic says in raymoud's disease hands will turn white, then blue, then red....mine only turn red. you said primary care doc....would that just be my standard doctor?...like the one i do my phisicals with
    aditya.us 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • im still not convinced.....mayoclinic says in raymoud's disease hands will turn white, then blue, then red....mine only turn red. you said primary care doc....would that just be my standard doctor?...like the one i do my phisicals withHi again aditya.us,The fact that you're still "not convinced" is perfectly OK as it's certainly neither my job nor my obligation to convince you of ANYTHING. I'm merely giving my opinion in consideration of the signs & symptoms you report...and after caring for a number of Raynaud's patients over a good many years.The discoloration "chronology" of your hands and feet isn't set in stone. The specific color change, and degree thereof, differs with each person affected. (A good analogy is the common "cold"...you might sneeze BEFORE you cough...or not!)Yes, your regular doctor who does your physicals is the one I'm referring to. Making a diagnosis of Raynaud's isnt overly complicated.If you don't have Raynaud's....I'm definitely pleased. But I honestly believe that you do.Best regards,John<
  • ok thanks JonMac. Ill go see me doctor about this issue. also i have just have 3 more questions. How life-threatening is raynauds? How common is the disease? Do most doctors know about it?
    aditya.us 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • ok thanks JonMac. Ill go see me doctor about this issue. also i have just have 3 more questions. How life-threatening is raynauds? How common is the disease? Do most doctors know about it?That sounds like a plan, aditya.us.Raynaud's is not generally a life-threatening condition but it does require management...possible lifestyle changes (if you smoke, you've got to give it up!), precautionary hands/feet protection measures, often various symptomatic medications, and, in more serious and persistent presentations of Raynaud's, surgery to decrease the peripheral blood vessel "constricting" that is the hallmark of Raynaud's.Raynaud's isn't rare, but neither is it classified as "common". If it's ideopathic (primary, with no known cause) it's called Raynaud's Disease. If it's a condition secondary to possible auto-immune diseases or endocrine (thyroid gland) conditions, it's called Raynaud's Phenomenon or Syndrome.I believe that most Doc's have at least SOME knowledge re: Raynaud's...it's by no means a new condition, If your Doc looks at you with a blank stare and/or tries to make light of your Raynaud's inquiry/suggestion...RUN, don't walk, to another Doc. Your symptoms are nearly absolute.Best regards,John<
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement