Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

teeth, roof of mouth, inside nose, cheek, ear, and teeth, hurt! Please help

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 29, 2006
  • 05:17 AM

About two months ago the pain started with my teeth on the left side of my mouth hurting. I had also been having frequent nose bleeds. I went to the dentist and told him about the pain but I could not pinpoint exactly which tooth hurt. He suggested it may be sinus related because my teeth and xrays looked good, so I went to my PCP and she started me on omnicef for a sinus infection and she referred me to an ENT. The pain on the left side of my teeth became more severe everyday. The roof of my mouth started to hurt, my left ear was stopped up and ringing, and my sternocleidomastoid muscle(on front of neck) on the left side was extremely tender, my left cheek hurt and my left eye hurt. The ENT did some debridement on the inside of my nose, did labwork to test for Wegenr's granulomatosis and sarcoidosis, biopsied the inside of my nasal cavity, and did a CT of my sinuses. According to him all results were normal. He gave me a script for Darvocet and sent me to a neurologist who diagnosed me with an atypical facial migraine and gave me a six day dose of Prednisone and Maxalt to take when I felt the pain coming on. The thing is the pain doesn't "come on" because it has not gone away! I felt a little bit better while on the steroid but two days after my cycle was completed the pain was back just as intense as before. So I tried the Maxalt, 10mg. It did NOTHING for the pain. The only thing that has helped is Darvocet, but I hate to get hooked on that. Plus I am a nurse and can't take care of my patients while taking a narcotic, and I can't drive my kids around town on a narcotic either. So in the evenings when I am home for the night, I take a Darvocet and get some relief. If anyone knows what this may be or has ever had similar symptoms please let me know. Thanks sooooo....much! I am desperate to feel better!

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I know this is an old thread but i have exactly the same problem! but on the right side of my mouth, ear ache, tooth ache, pain behind the ear, gums sore, pain in the nose and eyeball, im going to see the doctor tomorrow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2009
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • About two months ago the pain started with my teeth on the left side of my mouth hurting. I had also been having frequent nose bleeds. I went to the dentist and told him about the pain but I could not pinpoint exactly which tooth hurt. He suggested it may be sinus related because my teeth and xrays looked good, so I went to my PCP and she started me on omnicef for a sinus infection and she referred me to an ENT. The pain on the left side of my teeth became more severe everyday. The roof of my mouth started to hurt, my left ear was stopped up and ringing, and my sternocleidomastoid muscle(on front of neck) on the left side was extremely tender, my left cheek hurt and my left eye hurt. The ENT did some debridement on the inside of my nose, did labwork to test for Wegenr's granulomatosis and sarcoidosis, biopsied the inside of my nasal cavity, and did a CT of my sinuses. According to him all results were normal. He gave me a script for Darvocet and sent me to a neurologist who diagnosed me with an atypical facial migraine and gave me a six day dose of Prednisone and Maxalt to take when I felt the pain coming on. The thing is the pain doesn't "come on" because it has not gone away! I felt a little bit better while on the steroid but two days after my cycle was completed the pain was back just as intense as before. So I tried the Maxalt, 10mg. It did NOTHING for the pain. The only thing that has helped is Darvocet, but I hate to get hooked on that. Plus I am a nurse and can't take care of my patients while taking a narcotic, and I can't drive my kids around town on a narcotic either. So in the evenings when I am home for the night, I take a Darvocet and get some relief. If anyone knows what this may be or has ever had similar symptoms please let me know. Thanks sooooo....much! I am desperate to feel better!I also have the same symptoms ear, nose, neck, teeth hurt bad! Going to ENT tomorrow to find out what the heck is going on! If I get any answers I will post! Praying for all of us!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem, I have it for over 15 years, no doctor can tell me what it is. I have been to dentist, and have had two sinus surgeries, nothing helped. I am about to give up, in pain daily, if anyone has any idea to what I can do I would appreciate it. Than you! glad to see that I am not the only one, docs said it could be all in my mind, I know different. Too much pain and suffering.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was searching all my symptoms and found this thread. I am a 30 yr sufferer of migraines and had been doing great on topomax. This september I got a migraine, no big deal, took an imitrex and expected it to go away as usual and get another in a few months. It rebounded in a few hours, then again, then the next day and here i am still with it a month and a half later with ear pain, neck pain, pain on the top of my mouth, and cheek pain all on the same l side as my migraines. Went to pcp yesterday to see if it was an underlying sinus infection or just a bad allergy season, all was clear :( He is questioning lyme disease. Put on doxyclycline and off to neuro.... Very hard to function. I am a very active mom/student/business owner who cannot afford to be held back for a minute! If anyone else has any other ideas please let us know! I have thought it could be trigeminal neuralgie, cranial nerve nerualgia etc.... very hard things to diagnose :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2010
    • 08:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, having the same problem, its been months. went to the dentist went to the ER, no one can figure it out, in so much pain i cant take it. im going through so many tylenol bottles, i just dont know what to do, it came out of nowhere.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2010
    • 07:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the exact same symptoms. I went to my ENT and he did exploratory surgery. It ended up being what they call "eagles syndrome", in other words an elongated styloid process. It is a very rare thing, but very real and hard to diagnose.It may be worth checking into. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/e/eagles_syndrome/intro.htm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 02:45 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement