Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Excruciating lower (right) back pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: whixson
  • November 28, 2006
  • 06:36 PM

It’s been a year to the day that I have had this back problem. It started when I went for a hike (nothing out of the ordinary, something I do all of the time) and woke up with excruciating lower back pain.

Location: Lower right back. Starts at back “dimple” and continues a little above the dimple, and over to the spine. Never moves, it’s just in that one spot.

Symptoms: Constant pinching pain, like something is stuck. Severe muscle spasms in that area; so bad that once I blew a blood vessel in my eye. Feels like my top is too heavy for my bottom, like my spine is compressing on something. Nothing helps – it hurts just as bad to sit, as it does to stand, as it does to lay down. In addition, the pain is exactly in the same area and same feeling as to when I get my period, except for the fact that it doesn’t go away every month and it hurts a great deal more.

Diagnosis (if that’s what you want to call them):
Chiropractor (1): Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Manipulation for 6 weeks – no relief at all. X-Rays and MRI normal. Show a little arthritis, but nothing to write home about. Suggested to ride a recumbent bike and work with ball exercises – no relief at all (3 months, 5x/week).
Chinese Acupressure: Pinched sciatic nerve. Manipulation for 3 months, 2x/week – no relief.
Podiatrist: Leg length discrepancy. Fitted for inserts. Very little relief.
D.O. (1): Nothing is wrong. Ordered Physical therapy for 4-6 weeks, didn’t go since I was already doing physical therapy.
OB/Gyn: Possibly pre-menopausal. Pelvic ultrasound normal.
Pain Management M.D.: Robaxin (muscle relaxant), (3) Epidural spine injections, (1) Sacroiliac injection, (1) nerve block. No relief at all, but the injections triggered my menstrual cycle every 2 weeks for 8 weeks and caused me to gain 10 pounds.
Chiropractor (2): X-Rays showed 23 degree lumbar curve (scoliosis). Manipulation 3x/week for 6 weeks. No relief.
D.O. (2): X-Rays showed 30 degree lumbar, 13 thoracic curves, other than scoliosis, nothing is wrong mechanically. Blood: CBC, diff, ESR, ANA, RF, Lyme titer. Results: MCH high, ANA screen positive, anti nuclear antibodies high. Bone scan negative (no broken bones) and leg length test normal (differs from Podiatrist results?). More blood work to test for inflammatory joint diseases came back normal. Abdominal/pelvic CT scan showed “Appendicolith. Early appendicitis cannot be excluded. Width of appendix is somewhat prominent measuring about 8mm.” Just received these results yesterday, 11.27.06.

About Me: Former mogul and freestyle skiing competitor, very athletic, 38 years old, never have been sick a day in my life, extremely high tolerance for pain (but this has absolutely floored me). I am very into nutrition and exercise. This past year has been very strange for me going from doctor to doctor, each telling me that there is essentially nothing wrong. When I can’t walk to the bathroom without crawling and don’t feel like skiing, I know there is something wrong with me.

Next step: Surgeon appointment on Friday, 12.1.06 to schedule laparoscopy to check out appendix. Possible endometriosis along with early appendicitis?????

Can appendicitis affect your back and be the cause of all this pain? Should this have exploded already? If anyone has any suggestions, comments, ideas, anything I would love to hear from you. I hope that I also can be of help to others.

Thanks in advance,
Wendy

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement