Discussions By Condition: Gallbladder conditions

Gall Bladder Pain and Codeine Sensitivity

Posted In: Gallbladder conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Burlios
  • April 11, 2009
  • 04:09 AM

I had my Gall Bladder out 2 and a half years ago after attacks that made me feel like I was having a heart attack. I had scans and they showed a bile duct blockage and so I had surgery within days of a diagnosis. Since then I have had 2 or 3 episodes of very similar pain and these always seem to be linked with taking codeine. Doctors in the Emergency Department where I went twice by ambulance say a codeine sensitivity post gall bladder removal isn't possible. I don't have any of the other typical codeine allergy symptoms. After avoiding codeine and being pain free for more than 12 months, I , without checking took a cold tablet containing codeine. Within a brief space of time i was experiencing the same pain again. It runs along the right side of the oesophagus and into the right quadrant of my abdomen. The pains spasms in waves and then resolves. Surely this is codeine related? Has this been anyone else's experience pre or post operatively?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement