Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Nerve damage in hand after hip replacement

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 28, 2006
  • 01:59 AM

I am 51 years old. I slipped and fell at work in Jan. 06 and injured my right hip. After months of pain, Surgeon recommended total hip replacement in August 06. Surgery went well due to age and 'flexibility', but immediately after surgery I experienced symptoms of ulnar nerve damage in right hand (numbness, tingling, pain, altered sensation, etc.) After three months, the symptoms have not gone away but have gotten worse. Workman's Compensation refuses to approve nerve studies to determine extent of damage, and surgeon insists it is a "coincidence" that the damage occured right after surgery, since I was not in supine positon,I can't believe that it is a coincidence that I entered the hospital with a bad hip and left with a better one, but entered with a perfectly good hand and left with one that is constantly numb and/or painful. As a schoolteacher, I use my right (and dominant) hand constantly. Has anyone heard of this happening after hip arthroplasty? I am appealing Workman Comp's decision to the Industrial COmmission, and would like some evidence to back me up.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement