Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Nerve damage in hand after hip replacement

Posted In: Medical Stories 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 28, 2006
  • 01:59 AM

I am 51 years old. I slipped and fell at work in Jan. 06 and injured my right hip. After months of pain, Surgeon recommended total hip replacement in August 06. Surgery went well due to age and 'flexibility', but immediately after surgery I experienced symptoms of ulnar nerve damage in right hand (numbness, tingling, pain, altered sensation, etc.) After three months, the symptoms have not gone away but have gotten worse. Workman's Compensation refuses to approve nerve studies to determine extent of damage, and surgeon insists it is a "coincidence" that the damage occured right after surgery, since I was not in supine positon,I can't believe that it is a coincidence that I entered the hospital with a bad hip and left with a better one, but entered with a perfectly good hand and left with one that is constantly numb and/or painful. As a schoolteacher, I use my right (and dominant) hand constantly. Has anyone heard of this happening after hip arthroplasty? I am appealing Workman Comp's decision to the Industrial COmmission, and would like some evidence to back me up.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I Am An Orthopedic Nurse. I Am Happy To Hear Your Hip Is Doing Better. I Have Not Heard Of These Symptoms With Any Hip Arthroplasty's. However, It Could Happen. Were The Nurses Performing Neurovascular Checks On You?? I Heard This Happen To Someone Who Had A Laminectomy For Their Back, But Never For The Hip. Were You Having Numbness/tingling In Your Hand Immediatley After Surgery? Sometimes This Is An Affect After Anesthesia. If I Was You I Would Have A Neuro Surgeon Check Me Out. Any Physical Or Occupational Therapy?? What Are Your Limitations?? Feel Better Jenn
    jennifermogus 3 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 00:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the exact same thing happen after bilareral total knee replacemrnt in September. My thumb, index and middle finger on my right hand were numb and tingling immediately after surgery, and after a few days, I was numb from my wrist to my elbow. They at first thought is was from using the walker. Then they thought is was from the A-line, and then the way I was positioned during surgery, All of these proved not to be true. I was sent to a neurologist in Oct., who did nerve testing. Everyone said it would get better in 6 months. After 3 and a half months of hand therapy, there is very little improvement. I just returned from a second round of nerve testing this morning, ant the doctor (who did the nerve testing) says that my left arm is involved, too, even though I have no symptoms on that side. He says that it is definitely not mechanical, and thinks that it is some kind of auto immune response. He says that during surgery, your auto immune system goes into overdrive. He said thad I most likely will be seeing him again (does that mean he thinks the problem will be getting worse?), and they might send me for blood work. THe neurologist hasn't seen the report yet, so I don't know what he will suggest.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 08:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Actually, I just had the same thing happen with a knee replacement two months ago. I came out of surgery with my hand numb and as my knee got better and I could slowly get off the pain medication, my hand became increasingly painful and I had to continue taking the pain meds just for my hand. Now it is 3 months later and I am off the pain pills but on Neurontin which helps with the pain, but my hand is still numb and tingly. The Neurontin has the added affect of making me depressed, as if I wasn't already depressed enough. One thing I have noticed is that I cannot bend my thumb and I do not know when that started. Anyone have that problem also? I have had an MRI and an EMG and they were both normal. Now they are thinking that it may have been caused by scar tissue where the IV was inserted. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon in 2 months (the soonest available, ugh!!!). Any thoughts out there?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had a knee replacement in june of 09 and right after my knee replacemnt my hand was burning. before the operation on my knee my hand neve bother me at all. Then in dec. of 09 the doc moved my nerve in my elbow and I'm still having pain in my right hand, ring finer and little finger. I know for a fact it has to do with my knee replacemant. Im still in therapy for my knee and hand. I have to also have another knee replacement on my left kne. But until they doctor found the answer to why i got neve damage in my hand . My knee replacemnt will be on whole for the left knee. I'm in college training to be a probation office and I needed to able to use my hand.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2010
    • 07:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a slap tear repair surgery on my left shoulder 2 months ago and now my left hand continues to be numb, and the nerves seems to sting as I fight to keep the hand flexible. I have lost a lot of movement and it continues to get worse instead of better. Each morning is like beginning all over with my own therapy. As my shoulder gets better, the hand seems to get worse or stay the same. I am positive it is linked to the surgery, but the doctor only wants to send me for pain management, says it could not possibly have come from surgery, and perhaps it is RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy). I am reluctant to go to any more doctors as the internet does not indicate any solutions for this so why pile up the doctor bills even more? I never had anything wrong with my hand before the surgery. My husbands doctor said that it is possible that they "touched" or irritated a nerve serving the hand when they did the operation without even knowing it, and it could take a long, long time for the irritation to go away. I don't know if this helps anyone, but it's reassuring to hear that I'm not alone with this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 1, 2010
    • 00:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a slap tear repair surgery on my left shoulder 2 months ago and now my left hand continues to be numb, and the nerves seems to sting as I fight to keep the hand flexible. I have lost a lot of movement and it continues to get worse instead of better. Each morning is like beginning all over with my own therapy. As my shoulder gets better, the hand seems to get worse or stay the same. I am positive it is linked to the surgery, but the doctor only wants to send me for pain management, says it could not possibly have come from surgery, and perhaps it is RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy). I am reluctant to go to any more doctors as the internet does not indicate any solutions for this so why pile up the doctor bills even more? I never had anything wrong with my hand before the surgery. My husbands doctor said that it is possible that they "touched" or irritated a nerve serving the hand when they did the operation without even knowing it, and it could take a long, long time for the irritation to go away. I don't know if this helps anyone, but it's reassuring to hear that I'm not alone with this.I had a total hip replacement for my left hip about 5 weeks ago and am really doing well however I have numbness and aching in both hands especially my 2 little fingers. I noticed it maybe 3 weeks after my surgery-----I thought it may have to do with medications I had to take or the spinal I had or the blood loss I experienced. I have no answer. I rub them vigorously and it brings only a little relief.
  • I had abdominoplasty and blepharoplasty six days ago. I woke with a strange feeling of weakness in both arms from the middle of my arm to my hands - I can't pick up a glass with my right hand, although the left is a bit stronger. My MD says no ulnar nerve entrapment but possibly bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome - which I have never had! Will this ever resolve? I thought I had had a stroke, but didn't, and the surgeon isn't too concerned. It's aggravating and annoying, but gives me a new appreciation for disabled people. Any ideas?Susan
  • I just had a bi-lateral hip replacement, just 2 week ago today. The very first pain I felt in recovery was both hands burning sensation. They told me it is most like nthe way my hands were positioned during surgery, and that it would pass. I remember the first two night were torture!! it was near unbearable... And now 14 days later, i still have complete numbness in both hands. I hardly think that it is a coincidence.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2011
    • 06:17 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement