Discussions By Condition: Ear conditions

Fluid in ears - eustachian tube - crackling

Posted In: Ear conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 9, 2009
  • 07:51 AM

I, too, have a painful right ear fluid situation. I work in a medical group with 7 MD's. I had 2 MD's. and a nurse each look in my ears, and they all gave a different diagnosis! 1) slight tear in the drum 2) pimple in the middle canal. 3) really red and irritated canal with fluid. I went to my own personal MD and she said I had lots of fluid built up behind the drum and it needed to be drained. She Rx'd Allegra D 24 hour tabs one daily...that was supposed to open up the eustachian tube according to her and allow the fluid to drain. It's been 4 days and it still crackles and hurts. I don't know if I need to go a step further and see an ENT. :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I, too, have a painful right ear fluid situation. I work in a medical group with 7 MD's. I had 2 MD's. and a nurse each look in my ears, and they all gave a different diagnosis! 1) slight tear in the drum 2) pimple in the middle canal. 3) really red and irritated canal with fluid. I went to my own personal MD and she said I had lots of fluid built up behind the drum and it needed to be drained. She Rx'd Allegra D 24 hour tabs one daily...that was supposed to open up the eustachian tube according to her and allow the fluid to drain. It's been 4 days and it still crackles and hurts. I don't know if I need to go a step further and see an ENT. :confused:I feel for ya-- got it goin on in my life too. Maybe this will help:Saw the PA in December for fullness in r ear and shooting pains down the right side of my neck. Actually had my daughter candle my ear a month before going because dr aftr dr had told me "I dont see anything in there". 10 years of doctors right here in Kazoo. And they were so right-- because a huge kidney-bean shaped and flattened "Plug" of dark ear wax had obscured the ear drum for who knows HOW long! My history-- of not getting my ears to pop after plane rides, and for the last few years twinges of pain down the right side of the neck and middle ear pain. The PA gave me DermOtic Oil (Fluocinolone acetate oil) drops in Dec because he could only identify some redness and scaliness and soreness in the outer canal. I believe this ear drop was for skin irritations and excsema. Looking back I probably should have used it very sparingly--a drop at a time, instead of 3-5 drops. It might have thinned the ear drum somewhat.Finally made another appointment with the PA because I am Flying out monday on Vaca. I have the same fluid in my ears now as you do & btw, it crackles when I burp or swallow :) Wisely the PA finally called in the doctor to diagnose my ear. "I have never seen an eardrum stretched as thinly as your is," he said. "It is likely to rupture as the plane is descending, if you cant get your ears to clear several time as you descend. So I will prescribe some pain killer ear drops in case you need them, but dont swim if you break an eardrum; it could get infected through the hole in your ear. When you come back I will put a tube in and it will drain." I called the office next day (yesterday) requesting oral steroids and there's much less crackling when I burp today. The twinge is back, but from reading online I feel the oral steroids may be opening up the e-tube again. I think they are helping. I am also taking antihistimines. I may go the neti pot route and try to clear out the eustacian tube further. I strongly believe the e-tube is the cause of all this. -- That and the sinusitus I can't seem to shake. Just saw a you-tube demo of how to use a neti pot and I am so there!We will be driving 14 hours each way to still enjoy Florida without the threat of potential hearing loss. One good thing from this is I no longer feel "crazy" for having these symptoms my family Doctor could not recognize. And the audiology test showed I still have excellent hearing. The ringing ears (tinnitus) are driving me crazy. Are you experiencing that yet? My advice: See an ENT for heaven's sake. Get the oral steroids, try to get your e-tube working again, using cortisone Nasal spray. Think about a neti pot and antihistimines to reduce your sinus drainage, no matter how slight it is. Drink plenty of water and get your potassium in bananas, but cut down salt while taking the oral steroids. Good luck and write back!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2010
    • 01:13 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement