Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

HELP! I can't move my left hand!?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: gsxr600
  • November 26, 2006
  • 09:50 AM

I am a 23 year old male in generally good health. I am currently being treated for anxiety disorder and long term pain management for a motorcycle accident. My medications are Klonopin and Subutex.

About a month ago I was in a bad car accident but did not have any injuries other than whiplash. I was sore for a few days and then I was fine. Today I woke up and have no muscle control in my left hand's fingers... I can squeeze, but can not lift my fingers. For example, I can hold on to something with full grip, but can not type because I can't lift and control my fingers if that makes sense.

Any ideas?? Please help, I work on computers for a living and need to be able to use my hand!

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• I am a 23 year old male in generally good health. I am currently being treated for anxiety disorder and long term pain management for a motorcycle accident. My medications are Klonopin and Subutex.About a month ago I was in a bad car accident but did not have any injuries other than whiplash. I was sore for a few days and then I was fine. Today I woke up and have no muscle control in my left hand's fingers... I can squeeze, but can not lift my fingers. For example, I can hold on to something with full grip, but can not type because I can't lift and control my fingers if that makes sense.Any ideas?? Please help, I work on computers for a living and need to be able to use my hand!My hand is also i call it gimpie i woke up and cant lift my wrist and by my elbow is numb. Please help im very fond of my right hand and not a very happy camper,droping stuff its weierd my last to knuckles are not there and if i just lightly touch them on my hjand i can lift my wrist please help...im 42
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2009
    • 06:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 23 year old male in generally good health. I am currently being treated for anxiety disorder and long term pain management for a motorcycle accident. My medications are Klonopin and Subutex.About a month ago I was in a bad car accident but did not have any injuries other than whiplash. I was sore for a few days and then I was fine. Today I woke up and have no muscle control in my left hand's fingers... I can squeeze, but can not lift my fingers. For example, I can hold on to something with full grip, but can not type because I can't lift and control my fingers if that makes sense.Any ideas?? Please help, I work on computers for a living and need to be able to use my hand!Did you get this problem resolved, I have the same problem with my right hand.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2009
    • 10:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you get this problem resolved, I have the same problem with my right hand. Hello everyone, Im sweeteva..Woke up today and I cant move my wrist up..! Cant lift my fingers up also.. I can kinda close my hand but cant open ,my left hand .. Also feels kinda num, dont hurt. Maybe some swelling on my fingers and discoloration, Did have a few beers last nite ... Help...! Any Ideas?
    sweeteva 1 Replies
    • January 14, 2010
    • 03:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Just one question for you: Did you take a medication called reglan?? If so, theres your problem!!!i am a 23 year old male in generally good health. I am currently being treated for anxiety disorder and long term pain management for a motorcycle accident. My medications are klonopin and subutex.About a month ago i was in a bad car accident but did not have any injuries other than whiplash. I was sore for a few days and then i was fine. Today i woke up and have no muscle control in my left hand's fingers... I can squeeze, but can not lift my fingers. For example, i can hold on to something with full grip, but can not type because i can't lift and control my fingers if that makes sense.Any ideas?? Please help, i work on computers for a living and need to be able to use my hand!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2010
    • 02:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 23 year old male in generally good health. I am currently being treated for anxiety disorder and long term pain management for a motorcycle accident. My medications are Klonopin and Subutex.About a month ago I was in a bad car accident but did not have any injuries other than whiplash. I was sore for a few days and then I was fine. Today I woke up and have no muscle control in my left hand's fingers... I can squeeze, but can not lift my fingers. For example, I can hold on to something with full grip, but can not type because I can't lift and control my fingers if that makes sense.Any ideas?? Please help, I work on computers for a living and need to be able to use my hand!I am experiencing the exact same thing in my left hand. I woke up and it was like that yesterday. I can't make it to a doctor until next week. I was hoping someone had an answer to this. Were you also experiencing tightness in your arm muscles?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2011
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a similar problem at work today. I've been sick with the flu for the past week, but nothing close to this. I was working away when I started to get dizzy, and then I got intense pins and needles throughout my whole body. I could close my palm with concentration, but my individual finger dexterity just wasn't there. It scared the crap out of me, but it went away after time. My thought was maybe hyperventilation, because I was working hard and unable to breathe through my nose at the time. All I know is that it was extremely scary, and I hope I find out why it happened sooner than later.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • you guy's probably had a mild stroke that caused paralysis on one side (half) of your body...
  • Has anyone found a resolution to htis problem? im experiencing the same symptoms
  • you guy's probably had a mild stroke that caused paralysis on one side (half) of your body...Same prob...numb left arm & can't lift wrist at all! went to er did mri & cat scan of brain - NO STROKE! I've had a bulging herniated disc in neck for 10 years...it's worse...the doc said i had RADICULOPATHY....Wiki Def... is not a specific condition, but rather a description of a problem in which one or more nerves are affected and do not work properly (a neuropathy). The emphasis is on the nerve root (Radix = "root"). This can result in pain (radicular pain), weakness, numbness, or difficulty controlling specific muscles.In a radiculopathy, the problem is at or near the root of the nerve, along the spine. However, the pain or other symptoms may manifest in an extremity through a process called referred pain. For example, a nerve root impingement in the neck can produce pain and weakness in the forearm. Likewise, an impingement in the lower back or lumbar-sacral spine can be manifested with symptoms in the foot. Polyradiculopathy refers to the condition where more than one spinal nerve root is affected."Going to Orthopedic for splint - he'l prob send me 2 neurologist after...this has been the same for 1 week now!! very annoying!!Hope my info helps..wendee
  • My husband woke up tonight with this same problem. we just got back from the hospital. He was pretty freaked out when he first woke up not being able to use his right hand from the wrist down. the doctor said it is a condition called Radial Palsy, or sometimes called weekend palsy. It comes from pressure being put on the back upper part of the arm for a long period of time. ( yes a type of neuropathy) they sometimes call it weekend palsy because it often happens to people who have spent a lot of time sitting at the bar drinking with their upper arm resting on the bar while they sit there drinking. my husbands came from having something under his arm while he was asleep. they gave him a splint to wear to keep his hand in the upright position, and told him that he should regain full function in his right hand within three weeks, although sometimes it takes as long as six weeks. Hope this helps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrist_drop here is the link for this condition
  • my left arm had a distal bicep rupture and now 3 years later i cant lift my left hand at all at the wrist.theres only two possibilities it could be one is a severed nerve in the left arm that could result from sleeping on it wrong or just could happen out of nowhere.the other is that u have either a pinched nerve in your arm or u have a pinched nerve in your back,this would explain the numbness and the not being able to life the hand.either way you have to get an mri and must go see a neurologist and an orthopedic surgeon.This could be a repairable condition or it could be a permanent one,physical therapy helps sometimes but sometimes ur only option is to get surgery.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2011
    • 00:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, 4 years ago I woke up and couldnt move my right wrist or fingers at all. It was completely limp but had no pain,swelling or brusing at all. I went to the Dr. who told me I had a sprained wrist and put it in a splint. I didnt agree w/ his diagnosis because I had absolutely no pain, swelling or bruising but I wore the splint. He didnt send me for an MRI or nerve conduction tests. Im just now reading up on this and think I had Radial Nerve Palsey or "Saturday Night Palsey". So Im thinking this was a mis-diagnosis. The main problem is that after 1 1/2 weeks in the splint w/ still no movement I was at my computer and next thing I know it 911 was in my apartment and I was passed out on the floor!! I had been lying there for over 18 hours b4 someone found me. I was taken to the ER and had to have emergency surgery for Compartment Syndrome in the same arm. (right forearm and hand). All my muscles and nerves died and had a fasciotomy which means they cut my arm open from the inside of my elbow to the center of my palm and 2 incisions on the top of my hand and removed all the dead muscles and nerves. (I have NO MUSCLE left at all in my forearm, it really looks gross, my surgeon said he was almost ready to amputate my forearm, it was that bad)!!!! The incision had to remain open for 48 hours then a 2nd surgery to remove all dead tissue was done again. I am now permanently disabled and have severe pain 24/7, meds dont help!!! Its a true nightmare. Im right handed and now I need to do everything w/ my left hand (very hard especially only having 1 hand to do everything) Im wondering if the 1st symptoms (totally limp wrist & unable to move fingers too) couldve been a sign of impending compartment syndrome, or maybe I was in the 1st stages of compartment syndrome which caused the limp wrist and he did nothing about it. I think my Dr. shouldve looked into it more rather than just putting me in a splint and forgetting about it. If so, my life has changed horribly due to his mis-diagnosis. Does anyone know if the radial nerve palsey (or whatever it may have been) was a sign of impending compartment syndrome or vice versa? Im ready to call an attorney and sue for medical malpractice. My life is truely ruined. Thank you everyone.
    DZNursie46 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same thing from 2011 well anyone who has it i suggest you do an MRI and MRV and MRA MRV and A are the same MRI but 10 minutes extra i suggest you do these scan in the head i had a moyamoya stroke caused by radiation that caused me left sided weaknessesso after the Scan go to a neurologist and ask him or her what to do next then i think they will tell you to do physiotherapy and i hope you guys dont have moyamoya stroke here is what it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moyamoya_disease Wish you guys all the best.:)
    Blueice 1 Replies
    • August 27, 2013
    • 05:58 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement