Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Tired, lack of energy, random itch on palms and soles

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 7, 2009
  • 09:15 AM

Hey everybody, I was hoping maybe someone could help me out. I've been experiencing a lack of energy, and trouble sleeping for sometime now and have been to doctors everything was basically fine, went to a psych and said some of my chemicals were off (dont remember exactly but he put me on lexapro and abilify) but they did not help me at all. I took them for around 2 months and neither me nor anyone around saw any difference with them so I spoke to the doc and he said I could just get off them if they werent doing anything.

Fast forward to now and not only am I still experiencing fatigue, lack of energy, and sometimes difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep. But other times I will be extremely tired, sleep for 8-10 hours, wake up and than in another hour or two ill feel tired and nod off while watching TV or something.

I also have some other strange symptoms like occasionally itchyness on my palms of hands and soles of feet. Also get some shooting pains in my joints every now and than.

I'm having a very hard time functioning like this and would appreciate if anyone has any ideas... feel free to ask further questions of me if it will assist in pointing me in the right direction. Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Hey everybody, I was hoping maybe someone could help me out. I've been experiencing a lack of energy, and trouble sleeping for sometime now and have been to doctors everything was basically fine, went to a psych and said some of my chemicals were off (dont remember exactly but he put me on lexapro and abilify) but they did not help me at all. I took them for around 2 months and neither me nor anyone around saw any difference with them so I spoke to the doc and he said I could just get off them if they werent doing anything.Fast forward to now and not only am I still experiencing fatigue, lack of energy, and sometimes difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep. But other times I will be extremely tired, sleep for 8-10 hours, wake up and than in another hour or two ill feel tired and nod off while watching TV or something.I also have some other strange symptoms like occasionally itchyness on my palms of hands and soles of feet. Also get some shooting pains in my joints every now and than.I'm having a very hard time functioning like this and would appreciate if anyone has any ideas... feel free to ask further questions of me if it will assist in pointing me in the right direction. Thank you.Hi, tired -Have you had a sleep study? This sounds a lot like what happens with sleep apnea, where your airway gets intermittently closed while you sleep. As a result, you actually wake up just enough to gasp for breath (may sound like a big snore), but not enough for it to register consciously. The deal with this is that, although you think you are sleeping, you're really not - you never get the deep sleep you need. So all the rest of the symptoms might be attributable to chronic lack of sleep. I had sleep apnea for over 7 years before my wife got really scared of my constant gasping at night. I found out that, while I thought I was asleep, I was actually waking up on average once a minute the whole night! Got a CPAP system and now I'm down to 2-3 apnea episodes per hour, on average. It's made a world of difference. Talk to your DR, get to a reputable sleep center (mine was in the local hospital), and get checked out.Good Luck!
    zotz27 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, It sounds as though there's a chance you have a liver problems. This would explain the fatigue and the itchy hands and feet. Even if you have already done so i recomend that you go and have blood test done in particular a LFT (liver function test) and a vitamin count, and make sure they test you for diseases of the liver. I also recomend taking Milk Thistle which really helped me when i had liver problems. Also there is a book called THE LIVER CLEANSING DIET which is an amazing way to clean out your liver. If your liver is not functioning really well then you can feel really crap. I think you should have a LFT as soon as possible
    Meliski 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey everybody, I was hoping maybe someone could help me out. I've been experiencing a lack of energy, and trouble sleeping for sometime now and have been to doctors everything was basically fine, went to a psych and said some of my chemicals were off (dont remember exactly but he put me on lexapro and abilify) but they did not help me at all. I took them for around 2 months and neither me nor anyone around saw any difference with them so I spoke to the doc and he said I could just get off them if they werent doing anything. Fast forward to now and not only am I still experiencing fatigue, lack of energy, and sometimes difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep. But other times I will be extremely tired, sleep for 8-10 hours, wake up and than in another hour or two ill feel tired and nod off while watching TV or something. I also have some other strange symptoms like occasionally itchyness on my palms of hands and soles of feet. Also get some shooting pains in my joints every now and than. I'm having a very hard time functioning like this and would appreciate if anyone has any ideas... feel free to ask further questions of me if it will assist in pointing me in the right direction. Thank you. Have a liver function test done, I had the same symptoms for a few years and became very ill before finding that I have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. It's an autoimmune disease and I was shocked when it was finally diagnosed. Don't give up. Another symptom is unusually red palms...Good Luck
    autoimmunesuzy 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • It doesnt sound like just a psych issue to me.. as palms and soles can be affected in quite a few different things and i think that symptom points to that you do have something actually going on. I'd see another doctor and make sure ALL the different causes of itchy palms and soles have been ruled out (i suggest also to make sure you get copies of all your test results so you can check things yourself as clues to conditions are often just dismissed if just out of normal ranges). Systemic causes for itchy palms and soles. Chronic kidney failure, liver diseases, endocrine disturbances like hyper or hypothyroidism, blood disorders including polycythemia vera, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, leukemias, multiple myeloma and cutaneous mastocystosis cause generalized itching; which can, at times, start as itching of the palms and soles. Itching of the palms and soles and elsewhere on the body may be a presenting symptom of HIV infection and Crohn’s disease. Atopic dermatitis, senile pruritus and aquagenic pruritus can present with itchy palms and soles, in addition to generalized itching all over the body. above quote came from http://skindisease.suite101.com/article.cfm/causes_of_itchy_palms_and_soles
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dear Tired, Its been a few years ago since you posted your symtoms and I was wondering what your outcome was. I unfortunately have developed the same issues and I am courious to see if it was a liver disease. Than you for your help!
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • February 6, 2014
    • 08:32 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement