Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, muscle twitches, disorientation

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: sterin
  • November 26, 2006
  • 04:08 AM

For the last 7 months I've had a mystery illness that has yet to be diagnosed. It began with extreme abdominal bloating and nausea that led into disorientation and chest pains. I could not read, watch TV without getting nauseous. Also, it feels like there is something underneath my right rib cage in the upper right quadrant area. I also have had more gas than normal and sometimes have to lie down and change positions to pass gas.

The disorientation has mostly gone away and the chest pains have completely gone away. Also for the last 7 months I have been experiencing strange muscle twitches that usually take the form of the area right next to my knee or my hamstring and other locations. Unlike normal muscle twitches, these last for 1 to 48 hours in the same exact location.

I usually have a bowel movement every morning but have notice that some days I do not and I begin to feel horrible towards the evening (abdominal bloating and pain that worsens with movement) and the next day or so. I also have noticed that whenever I drink beer or Orange juice, I feel horrible. I have also had some set backs after eating fried chinese food, buttery pasta, and ice cream.

Currently I still have the feeling that something is in my URQ, feel bloated, have daily bouts with nausea, and still experience muscle twitches.

I have had the following tests: 3 stool tests, urine, abdominal X-ray, abdominal CT scan, MRI of the brain, numerous blood tests, barium swallow, ultrasound, colonoscopy, and recently had gastric emptying test and upper endoscopy (still waiting for biopsy results but otherwise normal). All test have come back normal with the exception of a high bacteria count from a breath test (4 months ago - took xifaxan for 10 days and did not notice a change - repeated treatment a month later - no help). Giardia - negative. Blood test earlier this summer showed an elevated hemoglobin, hemocrit count and a slightly elevated billirubin which my doctors were not concerned with.

If you have any advice or help I would greatly appreciate it. The past 7 months have been horrible and I can't wait to get through this thing.

Thanks for reading.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement