Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Prevalence of Extreme rapid weight gain w/Inderal (aka Prorpanolol)???

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 0 Replies
  • Posted By: ShawneeGirl
  • November 24, 2006
  • 06:10 AM

I was placed on Propranolol for panic attacks, which werent THAT bad to begin with, by my old PCP. I have since then been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, so we thought that's what was causing the fatigue.

THEN came the weight gain.
I gained 30 pounds, in 3 months!!!!
My ankles were (at their worst) twice their normal size, and my stomach was huge!
I was told simply to "Exercise more, and lose weight." (which is rather difficult considering the fatigue and pain)
After several fainting spells, trips to the ER for the swelling, and 7 months of fatigue and swelling, my father, who has had extensive experience w/propranolol, suggested that I "ween myself off", so I followed his advice.
I've been off of it for a month now, and I have energy and have already lost 10 pounds.
My ankles have resumed their regular size and most signs of edema have vanished.

I can't find ANY info on this, so:
Are rapid weight gain, swelling of the stomach and ankles, extreme fatigue, and syncope, symptoms of allergic reaction, or just a bad ?
If so, should my PCP have known about it?
(I told her about the weight and swelling, but she did nothing.)

Thank you for whatever feedback I recieve!
Sheena

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement