Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Need advice Please

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: mandapanda31
  • March 30, 2009
  • 11:06 PM

I am getting a little closer to a diagnosis but am still unable to connect the dots to all of my symptoms. Went in for an Upper Endoscopy last Thursday and found I have Esophagitis. .. a lower gaping esophageal sphincter, localized irregular margins and erythema of the mucosa but no bleeding found in the gastroesophageal junction. A few small erosions..They dilated the esophagus with a 54 FR non-guided bougie to try to help stretch the esophagus for easier swallowing. Abormal LES found in the gastroesophageal junction. I have my follow-up next week. I am hoping they have done some lab results on what they found but not sure. I still feel the same am just taking prilosec and it isn’t helping the swallowing. I still feel a ton of what feels like phlegm in my throat and my chest left side feels constricted when breathing. I had a ton of diahrea last night and pain in lower left abdominal region. I felt fine until this past January. I started having night sweats, insomnia, pain on my left jaw. I also have pain which sometimes burns through my left side of my chest, shoulder, and under arm and neck. I have chills a lot and feel cold most of the time. Does anyone have any clue or thing esophagitis can cause this. I am worried its cancer but so far blood tests haven’t revealed that and I just would like some advice on what to be looking for before I see the doctor next. I am relatively healthy or was until January. I am 34, non-smoker, social but not heavy drinker..haven’t drank now or had caffeine since January because of all of this. Suffered from insomnia now for 3 months because of all of this.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Esophagitis can cause chest pain,but it's almost always retrosternal,not one-sided.Do you have any neck pain or history of injury?The trouble swallowing is due,of course,to your esophagitis and reflux.I can suggest afew things that often help:elevate the head of your bed 6'' on bricks or blocks,take 2 tbsp of Mylanta or Maalox 1&3 hours after meals,don't eat 2-3hours before bedtime,and avoid caffeine and alcohol.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies Flag this Response
  • Do you still have the night sweats?How about the jaw pain?This doesn't sound like any cancer I've ever seen.The diarrhea was probably IBS.
  • Do you still have the night sweats?How about the jaw pain?This doesn't sound like any cancer I've ever seen.The diarrhea was probably IBS. Thanks Richard for your response. I have had neck pain, jaw pain, shoulder and back pain. I had an MRI done Friday of my neck and parts of my spine Friday and a chest x ray of the cervical chest portion. Most of the time I feel very cold and have chills but yes at night with my insomnia if Ambien CR works I do sometimes wake up with night sweats
    mandapanda31 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Your shoulder,arm,and chest pain are likely coming from your neck,especially if they find something wrong on your MRI scan.Asfor your jaw pain,where exactly does it hurt,and does chewing on that side cause the pain or make it worse?Do you have pain in the ear on the side of your jaw pain?
  • Your shoulder,arm,and chest pain are likely coming from your neck,especially if they find something wrong on your MRI scan.Asfor your jaw pain,where exactly does it hurt,and does chewing on that side cause the pain or make it worse?Do you have pain in the ear on the side of your jaw pain?Yes, I actually do have a little pain in the left ear and the part of my face on the left side in front of my ear gets pain as well. I sometimes get a clicking sound on the left side when I yawn but the dentist didn't think I had TMJ as no evidence from my bite.
    mandapanda31 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yes, you do have TMJ syndrome no matter what your bite shows.Your symptoms are classic,especially the referred pain into your left ear.
  • With all my symptoms of 8 years and going to unm, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown u hospital, Texas tech...they finally found my insomnia to be sleep apnea - throat so closed that shallow breathing and not breathing at all 30 times an hour frightened my body w death. Since we all have esophagus problems, hard to believe no drs check this god bless u
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement