Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Reccuring Severe Aphthous Mouth Ulcers, Anal Fissure, Tiredness

Posted In: Medical Errors 29 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 22, 2006
  • 10:36 AM

just over a year ago my mouth outbroke with 10-15 mouth ulcers, my lips swelled, i was unable to eat, i struggled to talk and i was in alot of pain.
The amount went down, but i was continuously getting ulcers, say about 5. My mouth has not been clear of an ulcer for over a year. However, 2 months after i got another outbreak, this time with about 20, again unable to talk and eat etc. this happened again in april, at the beginning of June and end of June and then again in August. However each time got worse. The last time of an outbreak i had between 40-50 ulcers.
At the time of my first outbreak i started getting problems with going to the toilet. It was like passing a knife, it bled, really hurt. This was diagnosed as an Anal Fissure. I was prescribled several creams to get it to heal, but this did not work, in June i had to have surgery to try to get it to heal. This did work, until now, in November it has come back, i at the moment have 7 ulcers in my mouth. I have been tested for everything, form celiac disease, ulceritive colitis, crohns disease, bechets disease. My blood is normal. I have to keep having repeated appointments at the hospital and doctors. I am always tired and prone to catching any cold or infection going around.
My ulcers are so painful, i have been prescribed steroids to try and keep them down, they stayed down, but they havent gone, the steroids also caused acne! Can anyone help with a diagnosis. I am at a loss, i have searched everything on the web, seen so many different doctors, surgeons etc, and Crohns is what comes up, however i do not have dirrohea, so has been ruled out.

Reply Flag this Discussion

29 Replies:

• Nutritional TherapyIf your sores are caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, supplements of vitamins C and B complex, as well as folic acid, iron, and zinc, may help.Several studies have found a high incidence of iron and B vitamin deficiency among people with recurrent mouth ulcers. Supplementing with B vitamins-300 mg vitamin B1, 20 mg vitamin B2, and 150 mg vitamin B6-has been reported to provide some people with relief. Thiamine (B1) deficiency, specifically, has been linked to an increased risk.Some people with recurrent mouth ulcers have been reported to respond to lactobacillus acidophilus. Chewing four lactobacillus tablets three times per day may reduce soreness in some people with recurrent mouth ulcers.Take 1,000 milligrams of the amino acid lysine at each meal during an outbreak and then 500 milligrams at each meal for a week afterward. Rub the liquid from a vitamin E capsule directly on the sore. Apply it three times a day during an outbreak until the sore heals. Take 4,000 - 5,000 milligrams of vitamin C daily during outbreaks of canker sores and at least 500 milligrams daily as a way of preventing them.Zinc lozenges help resolve canker sores by supporting the immune system. Calcium supplements help counteract the overacidity.Suggested Daily Dosages:Acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus)Aids in maintaining healthy balance of intestinal flora ("friendly" bacteria). Use a high-potency powdered form. Dosage: Take on an empty stomach as directed on the product.L-Lysine A deficiency may cause an outbreak of sores in and around the mouth. Do not take for longer than 6 months at a time.Dosage: 500 mg 3 times daily, on an empty stomach. Take with water or juice. Do not take with milk. Take with 50 mg vitamin B6 and 100 mg vitamin C for better absorption.Vitamin B complexImportant for immune function and healing. Dosage: 50 mg of each major B vitamin 3 times daily.Extra vitamin B3 (niacin)Deficiencies of niacin have been linked to mouth sores. Dosage: 50-100 mg 3 times daily. Do not exceed this amount. Caution: Do not take niacin if you have a liver disorder, gout, or high blood pressure.Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) Necessary for adrenal function. Dosage: 50-100 mg 3 times daily.Vitamin B12 Dosage: 1,000-2,000 mcg daily, on an empty stomach.Folic acidDosage: 400 mcg daily.Vitamin C with bioflavonoids Fights infection and boosts the immune system.Dosage: 3,000-8,000 mg daily, in divided doses.Zinc lozengesEnhances immune function and aids healing.Dosage: 1 15-mg lozenge every 3 waking hours for 2 days. Do not exceed a total of 100 mg daily. Take with 3 mg copper.CalciumDosage: 1,000 mgAqueous colloidal silverDosage: 1 tsp. dailyGarlicActs as a natural antibiotic and immunostimulant.Dosage: 3 Capsules 3 times daily.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2006
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had recurrent aphthous ulcers (batches of canker sores in my mouth) that broke out about every six weeks for some time. Turned out NIH diagnosed me with severe folic acid deficiency due to birth control pills. This was in 1980. I took mega doses of folic acid 4 gm per day and have never had another outbreak but also never went on birth control pills again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2006
    • 00:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I Have Had Mouth Ulcers Since I Was 12. Now 14 Years Later I Have No Cure To Offer You. They Were Very Painful And Many In Count For Years. Just The Last 3 Years They Have Decreased And I Live Normal With 3 Or 4 A Month. I Wish I Could Help, But I Have Never Been Given Any Advice From Any Doctor That Helped. They Even Cut One Out Of My Mouth To Test It. (never Again). The Only Guess I Have Is That Mine Are Hormonal Related Since They Began Around The Same Time As Menstration And Were Worse During Pregnacy And Better While I Was Breast Feeding. I Guess I Am Of No Help. Good Luck. Kati
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 01:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think lack of diarrhea absolutely rules out Crohn's disease!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Nutritional TherapyIf your sores are caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, supplements of vitamins C and B complex, as well as folic acid, iron, and zinc, may help.Several studies have found a high incidence of iron and B vitamin deficiency among people with recurrent mouth ulcers. Supplementing with B vitamins-300 mg vitamin B1, 20 mg vitamin B2, and 150 mg vitamin B6-has been reported to provide some people with relief. Thiamine (B1) deficiency, specifically, has been linked to an increased risk.Some people with recurrent mouth ulcers have been reported to respond to lactobacillus acidophilus. Chewing four lactobacillus tablets three times per day may reduce soreness in some people with recurrent mouth ulcers.Take 1,000 milligrams of the amino acid lysine at each meal during an outbreak and then 500 milligrams at each meal for a week afterward. Rub the liquid from a vitamin E capsule directly on the sore. Apply it three times a day during an outbreak until the sore heals. Take 4,000 - 5,000 milligrams of vitamin C daily during outbreaks of canker sores and at least 500 milligrams daily as a way of preventing them.Zinc lozenges help resolve canker sores by supporting the immune system. Calcium supplements help counteract the overacidity.Suggested Daily Dosages:Acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus)Aids in maintaining healthy balance of intestinal flora ("friendly" bacteria). Use a high-potency powdered form. Dosage: Take on an empty stomach as directed on the product.L-Lysine A deficiency may cause an outbreak of sores in and around the mouth. Do not take for longer than 6 months at a time.Dosage: 500 mg 3 times daily, on an empty stomach. Take with water or juice. Do not take with milk. Take with 50 mg vitamin B6 and 100 mg vitamin C for better absorption.Vitamin B complexImportant for immune function and healing. Dosage: 50 mg of each major B vitamin 3 times daily.Extra vitamin B3 (niacin)Deficiencies of niacin have been linked to mouth sores. Dosage: 50-100 mg 3 times daily. Do not exceed this amount. Caution: Do not take niacin if you have a liver disorder, gout, or high blood pressure.Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) Necessary for adrenal function. Dosage: 50-100 mg 3 times daily.Vitamin B12 Dosage: 1,000-2,000 mcg daily, on an empty stomach.Folic acidDosage: 400 mcg daily.Vitamin C with bioflavonoids Fights infection and boosts the immune system.Dosage: 3,000-8,000 mg daily, in divided doses.Zinc lozengesEnhances immune function and aids healing.Dosage: 1 15-mg lozenge every 3 waking hours for 2 days. Do not exceed a total of 100 mg daily. Take with 3 mg copper.CalciumDosage: 1,000 mgAqueous colloidal silverDosage: 1 tsp. dailyGarlicActs as a natural antibiotic and immunostimulant.Dosage: 3 Capsules 3 times daily.I agree with all these- but also toxicity is a serious aspect of disease. I would say- cut all chemicals and processed food from your diet, dairy, sugar, and coffee.Also change a different toothpaste. If you are using some of that "extra whitening stuff", that is all poison! Use something like Dr.Burt's. I am using it ever since I started having all this weird sudden gingivitis and tooth pain all over my mouth.Take Care.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 06:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow I get about 5 a month and I think thats terrible. They interfere with everything from kissing to eating and are always irritated, red, and painful. Not to mention I feel feverish the first few days of having them. I can't imagine having 40 at one time that is simply outrageous... I find oral temovate to be pretty effective but it makes me dizzy and I get a tightness in my throat when I use it so its a trade off. You need to keep going to the doctor untill they give you an answer !
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2007
    • 02:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Doctors Won't Give Her An Answer. Do What The Person Suggested With The Vitamins And Lysine, Etc. That Is Your Best Bet. Lysine And Zinc Do Help With This Situation. I Have Used That Remedy Myself More Than A Few Times!!! Stress May Be The Precursor To This Type Of Activity. Work On How You Handle Your Stress; Use Relaxaton Cds, Fountains, Deep Breathing. Practice Tai Chi (my Personal Favorite De-stressor) And Massages!!! Hot Baths With Epsom Salts Are Relaxing Too!;) Learn To Not Let Things Get To You As Much. Pick Your Battles. You Probably Have Better Things To Do With Your Energy. Best Wishes
    1111healer 106 Replies
    • January 15, 2007
    • 03:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have similar symptoms. As a child I suffered from severe recurrent bouts of caker sores. Sometimes I'd have 10-20 at once. I don't remember ever having a time when I didn't have at least one. A dentist blamed poor oral hygine habits and instructed my mother to have me use listerine which made the situation even worse. As I got a little older (13 or so) I randomly found a toothpaste in CVS that was made for canker sore sufferers. It's from Rembrandt. It doesn't contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is blamed on cauing the initial irritation that triggers the immune response that causes canker sores. That cut my canker sores down from 10 a week to 10 a year. Other triggers for me are spicy food (capsaisin, cinnamon aldehyde, etc.) and acidic foods (like sour patch kids). I can avoid them for the most part, unless I happen to bite my cheek or OD in spicy food. But God forbid I happpen to use a normal toothpaste....all ***l breaks loose and I end up with a mouth full of canker sores.....I also have a fissure problem. I don't just have one I have several. I was dealing with it for a six months before I broke down and saw a doctor about it. My gastroenterologist did mention Crohn's as a possibility, but I don't have any of the other symptoms. I most likely will have surgery to fix them. But what if they come back???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 02:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Please see my thread on HIV? concerning candida. This can cause both canker sores and anal fissure and anal itching. Worth looking into.Doctor of Oriental Medicine
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 03:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I say Crohn's! My boyfriend had an Anal Fissure 10 years ago. I read recently on the Merek Manual site (well known medical site) that fissures can be the first signs of Crohn's. He has been suffering severe stomach problems and pain getting worse and worse over 10 years. He had a colonoscopy a few years ago and Crohn's was ruled out. He is now suffering to the degree that he has hardly been able to eat anything for a year now. (I met him about a year ago). He has even been hospitalized a couple of times in the past year....they give him fluids...then send him home. They still did not diagnose Crohn's. He also has never had diarreah (?spelling). He get's mouth sores occasionally. Difficulty with healing is also a symptom of Crohn's.He kept telling his doctor's that he thought it was Crohn's...they kept saying no. (He also has Ankylosing Spondilitis (arthritis of the spine) and has been disabled with that for the past 5 years)He had the impression that his doctor thought it was (sycosomatic ?spelling) and finally managed to convince him a year or so ago that it was NOT Crohn's.I have lupus and rhumatoid arthritis so I am well aware of going from dr. to dr. for years and years to finally get those diagnosed...so I have become no pushover when it comes to doctors. I KNEW I had arthritis for about 5 years before they finally ageed - I had a huge flairup that could not be ignored.So, I went to his dr. with him and told him to TELL his dr. that he HAD to get to the bottom of this, and that he would NOT leave the office until his dr. promises to follow this through. He got an appt with a gastroenterologist (not the first time he's seen a gastroenterologist!). I told him to demand full testing UNTIL they find something. He got an upper barium test and low and behold his illium (a section of the gastrointestal tract that is where the small bowel and the large bowel join, was found to be severly inflamed to the point where it is almost blocked. This was during Christmas week just past. In hindsight, he must have been blocked the 2 times he was admitted to hospital and they never did a barium test on him while he was admitted.They've put him on 5-ASA, but he is not having much success in taking it...it seems to make his stomach worse....so we are heading back to the gastroenterologist next week to get something else.I've been doing quite a lot of reading up on Crohn's. Crohn's in the small bowel rarely causes diaareah so I don't know why everyone seems to think that diaareah is a necessary symptom to have. Crohn's can affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract, from mouth to anus. Small bowel Crohn's is not uncommon at all!!!So, take heart (for what it's worth) that you are not the only one who has gone through years and years of searching for an answer. My advice would be to continue to believe that the symptoms you feel are real...don't let the dr's convince you that there is really nothing wrong with you.Keep pushing until you get an answer - and be firm (not hostile) with doctors that your symptoms ARE real and they have to do EVERYTHING to find the answer, if one test doesn't provide the answer, try another one. Sometimes diseases have to get to a certain stage before the tests agree with your symptoms i.e there is no one test that can confirm lupus....some people (me) with rhumatoid arthritis never have a positive test for ANA or inflammation - even though they DO have inflammation. Go from one gastroenterologist to another until you find one who is compassionate and wishes to resolve your suffering.Your symptoms are all symptoms that are common in autoimmune diseases...so if it turns out not to be Crohn's, it could be some other autoimmune disease. Autoimmune diseases are ones where your immune system turns on your own body. i.e. it thinks that normal healthy tissues in your body are foreign bodies and the T-cells and/or other immune system cells attack healthy tissues. Each autoimmune disease attacks different types of tissues. i.e. in Lupus, they attack connective tissue in your body; in Ankylosing Spondilitis they attack the specific type of tissue between the vertibrae in your back. In Rhumatoid arthritis, they attack the synovial tissues/fluid in the joints. In MS (Muscular Distrophy) they attack the sheathing of the nervous tissue. An autoimmune response is what is responsible for your mouth ulcers. Mouth ulcers are also common in various arthritis's and Lupus and lots of other autoimmune diseases.So, don't lose faith. I know it is VERY frustrating. But, believe that you will find an answer and whatever you do, don't stop searching.Best wishes in your search for an answer!Let us know how you do
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 08:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'd say let the doctor diagnose him with Crohn's Disease and ask for a course of Remicade. My husband had a peri-anal fistula that would not go away. He had surgery twice to clean it out, but it just would not heal. He was in a lot of pain and this made the diarrhea associated with his Crohn's harder to control. After one Remicade infusion, the fistula started to heal. It was gone shortly after the second infusion. We strongly suspected years ago that Crohn's is a catch all for many different sorts of serious IBD. They have almost decided to separate Crohn's patients in to two types, fistualizing and non-fistualizing. Remicade works wonders for both types, but is seriously awesome for those with fistulas.
    bugdog 14 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 07:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I can also say that I have experienced ALL of these symptoms too. I was not satisfied with treating the symptoms only. I wanted to know the cause as it seemed to me these symptoms were getting worse over time (especially fatigue). Fortunately I found a endrocronologist who was able to put all these symptoms/puzzle pieces together. I was diagnosed with celiac disease. A bittersweet diagnosis...but I'm thankful for the relief. This is a genetic disease and no two people (even in families) will have exactly the same set of symptoms. Some people have no obvious symptoms! But damage can still result from no action. Both of my children inherited my celiac gene. There is a good deal information on celiac on this site...I'd google it too. I would suggest any of you with these symptoms investigate this as a possible answer. My family is on a gluten, casein, and soy free diet (these protein molecules - especially when partially digested due to these food intolerances - appear similar to the immune system which reacts in a way to cause the symptoms you have all listed (malnutritian, intestinal problems, mouth sores, etc.). I now have none of the painful symptoms. However, since it took 48 years to "discover" this problem I now have a host of residual problems that are probably not reversable (osteoporosis, some nerve damage, premature menopause, mild depression, etc.). I also still have some fatigue (but this is getting better as my anemia improves). Including the symptoms you have all mentioned, there are nuerological issues and increased risks of various cancers, etc. My son has ADHD. My daughter tends to be more constipated (rather than the expected loose stool). There is some controversy regarding testing methods...biopsy, blood tests, stool tests, etc. We choose the tests offered by Enterolab.com...Dr. Fine (a gastro doc). He offers both genetic and new antibody stool tests that can be done via mail and at a reasonable cost (I no affiliation with this lab...I just had a good experience using it). Naturally, you need to work with your own doc to coordinate ongoing treatment if you have a positive diagnosis (usually diet alone...amazing). Wishing you all luck and good health.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 02:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problems but started about 16 years ago after the birth of my son. I was tested tested by my OB Gyn for everything you can imagine and my dentist sent me to periodontists and oral surgeons for the blistering in my mouth. I was labeled as having lichens sclerosis in the perinal area and lichens planus in my mouth. In the past year I started having other problems including extreme fatigue, joint, muscle, & bone pain, and then the onset of chest congestion. At the same time the problem with blistering in my mouth and the horrible itching in the perineal area, anal fissures, and thinning of the skin in my vaginal area seem to be more noticeable. Several times over the past year blood work was done that showed a slight increase in SED rates but everything else normal. I finally ended up at the rheumatologist due to the increase joint, bone, and muscle discomfort that I was experiencing(my profession is physical therapy for the past 26 years)was getting worse. Different blood work panels were ordered by the rheumatologist but all came back normal except one item, a slight positive increase in IgA. The rheumatologist felt it was insignificant but after researching it further I found out that it can be associated with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. I decided to eliminate gluten in my diet and all of my symptoms have improved dramatically. After several weeks on the diet I started to have less fatigue, decreased chest congestion, (the itching and perineum problems and mouth blistering I have been dealing with have all these years) improved dramatically. Two months have now passed and I have not had the problems of itching in the perineum or anal fissures. My bone, joint, and muscle pain is almost non existent, my energy level is almost back to normal, and the chest conjection and edema gone. I would definitely see if you have a gluten intolerance. As I have researched it more people can have it for years and not realize it. The NIH is now trying to increase its education to physicians on it as it is now believed that it is more prevalant then once thought. They are now saying 1 our of every 133 people have it. Please take the time to research it more. I just want to save others from the years of agony that I have lived with. Hope this helpful to anyone out there.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 08:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i had exactly the same symptoms loads of painful mouth ulcers and the most painful problem ever anal fissures, i had loads of ear nose chest infections then started bruising really badly i was eventually diagnosed with common variable immunodeficiency my blood tests looked fairly normal too but they need to look at the breakdown of your white blood cell count as iga igg levels can be abnormaly low in some parts but your overall count can appear normal as you said that you are also suffering from infections it might be agood idea to get this checked out ask for a referral to an immunologist you might have to travel a bit to see one as they are few and far between but it will be worth it i now receive 3 weekly infusions of immunoglobulin and am so much better.
    Diane Sistern 29 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 08:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I want to say thank you!!!!I have suffered from mouth ulcers my entire life(I'm 21 now). I have been to countless doctors, receiving nothing more than astonished looks. Between the ages of 2 and 13 I'd have roughly 5 or more ulcers on a good day. When they broke out I could have 30-40. These break outs caused me to be nearly bed ridden with fever and overall sickness for a week. As i've gotten older the ulcers have done nothing but gotten worse. On a good day I now have about 20. When they break out there are too many to count. I have been tested for everything under the sun it seems and have tried countless remedies including the B vitamins. They never worked for me =(. I stumbled across this forum about a week and a half ago and decided that going gluten free would be worth a shot. I have been gluten free for about 9 days now, and only one new ulcer that is very small!! I still have about 25 old ones, but no new(besides the one small one), I expect the old ones to take a couple weeks to heal completely.This is an absolute miracle for me, I usually have new ulcers daily. I have also only had 3 weeks ulcer free my entire life(I had a cortisone shot). I have had a lot of other symptoms that I have never pieced together that seem to be clearing up as well. I have noticed my gums have decrease in size(my dentist always thought it was from poor dental hygiene but I take very very good care of my mouth). My insomnia is a little less extreme these past few nights. I am also a lot less bloated than I used to feel. I do suffer from anal fissures and hope that will stop. Over all I am just feeling great, a lot more energy than normal!!!! I really hope that this works, i'm sick of being in pain!! I'm very greatful that I have found others with symptoms matching my own. Thank you again for bring up the gluten free diet! I hope it works.
    Kat2008 1 Replies
    • November 13, 2007
    • 05:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, i have suffered with very similar symptoms for the past 22 years. The symptoms include outbreaks of severe mouth ulcers and blinding headaches. My first outbreak was similar as I had about 50 mouth ulcers inside the whole of my mouth and my mouth swelled, with the skin on my lips blistering also. I was referred to a hospital and have also undergone all types of testing, including blood and the removal of an ulcer from my mouth for further testing. Eventually I was put on steroids but the bouts continued to flare up every couple of months. Eventually I was referred to a specialist at my local hospital. I am now prescribed a mouthwash which has to be specially prepared to treat my symptoms, this does seem to work but I still do suffer with outbreaks of ulcers every 2 -3 months, this does clear the ulcers up and I can carry on as normal. The mouthwash is on prescription only and has to be ordered as and when the symptoms flare up and needs to be refrigerated to keep it at it's best. The ingredients are as follows....250ml x CHLORET. 0.5% & TRIAMCINOLONE 0.08%. I am to use 10 mls as mouthwash 4 times per day. Maybe suggest this to your GP or specialist as it has worked for me and our symptoms do seem very similar. Happy to provide further info if required. Good Luck...pauldrowan@hotmail.co.uk
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My anal bleeds. To bad i use creams. Broke into a clean swipe. Then right back into the rotation. BUT NOOOO SHE HAD TO BLEED ON MY FACE! "I DONT HAVE AN INFECTION" SHE SAID!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2008
    • 06:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think lack of diarrhea absolutely rules out Crohn's disease!I totally agree with you. My daughter has been diagnosed by CT scan, Small Bowel Follow Thru, and Colonoscopy w/Crohn's Dz and does not have a lot of diarrhea either but all the tests say she has it. She goes about 4 times/day and is soft. Her pain is much worse during menses. She doesn't have the mouth sores very often but also has 2 stomach ulcers not caused by stomach bacteria. She has a lot of fatigue and joint pain, eye irritation. Crohn's Dz can cause ulcerations anywhere from mouth to anus. Maybe you haven't found the right doc yet......might still be something auto-immune that would respond to some type of immunosuppressive therapy besides Prednisone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 19, 2009
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing - anal fissure, mouth ulcers and also I get slits at the corners of my mouth. I have had these symptoms since I was 12. The doctors I have seen over the years have told me to take sitz baths (which don't work, and who has time to take one 3 times a day?), hydrocortisone cream for my mouth and Oracort for the long slits deep in my gums. During the summer, I was determined that all of my symptoms were caused by the same thing, because that would make sense right? I got blood work done and had stool samples taken to be tested for Celiacs, Crohns, Colon cancer and other inflammatory conditions affecting the digestive tract. The results came back negative. I take multi-vitamins every day, but they aren't helping.Now I am beginning to think that the birth control pills I have been on for the past five years are making everything worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2009
    • 00:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing - anal fissure, mouth ulcers and also I get slits at the corners of my mouth. I have had these symptoms since I was 12. The doctors I have seen over the years have told me to take sitz baths (which don't work, and who has time to take one 3 times a day?), hydrocortisone cream for my mouth and Oracort for the long slits deep in my gums. During the summer, I was determined that all of my symptoms were caused by the same thing, because that would make sense right? I got blood work done and had stool samples taken to be tested for Celiacs, Crohns, Colon cancer and other inflammatory conditions affecting the digestive tract. The results came back negative. I take multi-vitamins every day, but they aren't helping.Now I am beginning to think that the birth control pills I have been on for the past five years are making everything worse.the slits at the corner of your mouth = angular cheilitis, try using an iron supplement
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2009
    • 10:26 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement