Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Nausea, Fatigue, Dizziness.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Miricli
  • March 27, 2009
  • 10:48 PM

Hello,

I moved about 16 months ago into a town house on a busy road with building sites close by. I had had very little trouble with asthma for many years, however shortly after moving I developed a cough and tightness in my chest. I saw a doctor for this and was given a new asthma medication which got rid of the cough.

A few months after moving I began to have daily nausea, fatigue and dizziness. I also seem to be clumsy (dropping things) and off balance and I become exhausted if I do anything strenuous. I have had these problems for over a year.

My doctors have been treating these symptoms as being separate to the asthma symptoms. Although the cough is gone I still use my inhaler often and have tightness in my chest and find that I take very short breaths, especially at night and often wake up dizzy or with a headache.

I was initially found to have a B12 deficiency. This was treated with a supplement (that I still take) and injections. My levels are now back to normal but the symptoms above have not changed.

I have seen a gastroenterologist who has not found any cause for the constant nausea.

I have had a colonoscopy, gastroscopy, pelvic and abdominal ultrasound, been tested for celiac, thyroid, iron and vitamin D deficiencies. My blood pressure is apparently normal.

I'm a 30 year old Australian female, non smoker, vegetarian.

Is it possible that the nausea, fatigue and dizziness are related to my asthma? I would appreciate any suggestions as my doctors seem to be running out of ideas.

Thank you.

Beth

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Hello, I moved about 16 months ago into a town house on a busy road with building sites close by. I had had very little trouble with asthma for many years, however shortly after moving I developed a cough and tightness in my chest. I saw a doctor for this and was given a new asthma medication which got rid of the cough. A few months after moving I began to have daily nausea, fatigue and dizziness. I also seem to be clumsy (dropping things) and off balance and I become exhausted if I do anything strenuous. I have had these problems for over a year. My doctors have been treating these symptoms as being separate to the asthma symptoms. Although the cough is gone I still use my inhaler often and have tightness in my chest and find that I take very short breaths, especially at night and often wake up dizzy or with a headache. I was initially found to have a B12 deficiency. This was treated with a supplement (that I still take) and injections. My levels are now back to normal but the symptoms above have not changed. I have seen a gastroenterologist who has not found any cause for the constant nausea. I have had a colonoscopy, gastroscopy, pelvic and abdominal ultrasound, been tested for celiac, thyroid, iron and vitamin D deficiencies. My blood pressure is apparently normal. I'm a 30 year old Australian female, non smoker, vegetarian. Is it possible that the nausea, fatigue and dizziness are related to my asthma? I would appreciate any suggestions as my doctors seem to be running out of ideas. Thank you.BethHi Beth,Have you noticed any general increased skin redness along with your other signs & symptoms?At the risk of sounding like an "out there" alarmist...your signs & symptoms of nausea, fatigue, dizziness, impaired balance and coordination...coupled with their sudden appearance shortly after moving into your new town house 16 months ago...VERY strongly suggests that you may well be suffering from a chronic form of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. I hope that I'm absolutely wrong but I have a strong feeling that I'm not. CO poisoning is also something that can and will exacerbate asthma. Increased skin redness is a hallmark sign of CO poisoning....the degree of redness is in proportion to the amount of CO exposure.Do you have gas or oil heat? Gas stove, water heater, clothes dryer? If yes to any, there may be a problem with venting.Do you have a CO detector installed in your home? If not, I would STRONGLY suggest that you call your local Fire Department TODAY and ask them to measure the CO level in your home. If it's higher than 50 ppm (parts per million) there's a problem. Vacating your home until the source of the CO is found and corrected is a must. You'll also need immediate medical attention at your local hospital Emergency Department, specifically an arterial blood gas analysis to determine the level of CO in your blood.Please DON'T wait to have your home checked out. Again, I hope that my diagnosis is a "misdiagnosis" but there seem to be TOO MANY things pointing toward CO poisoning.Let us know the outcome.Be well!John
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your post John. I haven't noticed any skin redness. My husband hasn't had any health problems since we moved, which is why I've been thinking my symptoms may be related to my asthma. We went overseas to Italy for 5 weeks at the end of last year and I had all the same symptoms while on holidays. The air quality is pretty bad over there so I still had trouble with asthma. I do have gas appliances in the house so I will look into the carbon monoxide levels. Thanks. Beth
    Miricli 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your post John. I haven't noticed any skin redness. My husband hasn't had any health problems since we moved, which is why I've been thinking my symptoms may be related to my asthma. We went overseas to Italy for 5 weeks at the end of last year and I had all the same symptoms while on holidays. The air quality is pretty bad over there so I still had trouble with asthma. I do have gas appliances in the house so I will look into the carbon monoxide levels. Thanks. BethYou're entirely welcome, Beth. I was concerned that you may not get back to see my post for a while. I'm relieved that you did!As I said, I was hoping that CO poisoning would prove to be a misdiagnosis on my part. I'd far prefer to be wrong re: something as serious as that. The fact that your husband hasn't exhibited any similar symptoms is likely confirmation that CO isn't a factor. (Would that I had been astute enough to have asked you "if anyone else lived in your home"...DUHH!)Your respiratory symptoms and increased use of your rescue inhaler certainly point to increased acuity in your asthma. When you initially started with your cough, what new asthma med did your doc prescribe? Are you still taking it...or any other maintenance meds?Your GI symptoms aren't typical re: asthma. Fatigue and dizziness COULD be caused by decreased oxygenation associated with the asthma, but I would think that the decreased oxygenation would need to be VERY severe to cause your impaired balance & coordination.I guess I'm still also trying to blame your home for your increased symptoms. They could possibly be caused by Stachybotys (toxic black mold). Do you have any damp areas such as your cellar/basement? Stachybotys may not always effect everyone in a household equally (or sometimes, at all). Your predisposing asthma would make you much more susceptible than your husband. It's one other consideration.Hope this is of some help, Beth. Keep us apprised.Regards,John
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi John, I take Alvesco at night which got rid of my cough. I take Bricanyl just when I feel I need it. There is no basement in our house. It was brand new when we moved in so there shouldn't be any issues with mold. My symptoms may have nothing to do with Asthma. It's just that my asthma got worse not long before all the other problems started so I thought it may be connected. The doctors I've seen don't seem to have any other ideas and I'm getting sick of waiting a month between visits and then getting no answers. I appreciate your thoughts.:) Beth
    Miricli 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement