Discussions By Condition: Chest conditions

weird chest sensations

Posted In: Chest conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 21, 2006
  • 01:51 PM

For the past 1 1/2 to 2 years I have had these weird sensations in my the center of my chest. I'm not sure if it's heart related, or what. But my heart feels like it skips a beat or flutters, and it feels like I lose my breath. It just happens for a split second, I grab my chest because sometimes it just feels like an intense sensation when it happens. It's kind of a sharp feeling sensation. They happen at random times.

Well last night was the worst, when I tried to lay down to go to sleep, and I had several of them in succession. I was comtemplating whether or not to go to ER, but I didn't. I stayed up just a little while, layed on couch for while and didn't have another one, finally ended up back in bed with all my clothes just in case I decided to got to ER, but they didn't return. I was worried before when it was just one every once in a while, but now I am really worried now that I have several at one time. I think I am going to setup an appt with GP.

I was reading another post about someone getting diagnosed with ectopic heartbeat, so I guess it's possible it could be that, but I'm not sure.

I am a 26 year old male. 175lbs, I workout and run three times a week, and play a lot of tennis. Non-smoker. decent diet. I don't think I have family history of heart problems, although my 78 year old grandfather did have to have triple bypass heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. Oh, have mild blood pressure issues, that I keep a close eye on. It pretty much averages 131/75.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• hey. I'm a 38 year old dude and I have been having palpitations for almost 20 years. I have had all the heart test and everythings perfect. For me, i think it's just nerves. It only happens though when I have stomache gas. And it especialy happens when i'm lying down(again, only when I have gas). I believe that when gas presses on a certain area somewhere in my stomach, it enables me to feel my heart beat and over the years I have developed a split second automatic nervous reaction that makes me have a palpitation(sometimes they occor back to back for a few seconds;rarely over 30 sec). I've also noticed that gas causes me to have little"short of breath" feelings too. So,if you get cleared with your heart maybe it could be just a little nervous deal or something.*GO SAINTS!!!*
    groton 6 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 03:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ooh, i get those too...I describe it in pretty much the exact same way. I'm a 21yr female, also healthy lifestyle.I also sometimes get this really weird sensation that feels like it can only be stopped by drinking massive amounts of water (but it usually doesn't help anyways), or like, if i don't drink water right THEN, i get EXTREMELY irritable until I get some...but I'm not sure if they are related at all.ANyways, I asked my doctor, and she asked me this:Does it happen when you work out?My answer was 'no'. You?She said if it doesn't happen when you workout, it probably is not anything to be concerned about, and prob isn't heart related, and may be esophogial spasms. Keep in mind this was a OBGYN, and she was really mean, but...she had a point.
    TikiTee 1 Replies
    • September 20, 2007
    • 01:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had those symptoms for several years and did visit the hospital several times. All to be told it was stress. It's true at least for me. BUT when your heart skips beats it will totally freak you out. It also can be atributed to a lack of magnisium for me. What 'Groton' said about sending you into a panic is also true. Your body goes into that fight or flight mode and the more you panic the quicker your body will go into panic and that doesn't help the heartbeat. I had all the tests done and my heart was fine. That was 5 years ago, I still have a problem with it but not if I take the mag. Even though you are young I would still get a full work up done, watch out for your thyroid, B12 absorbtion and make sure they check your heart. It would be such a relief to get some visual proof it's fine. Remember that even if things fall into the normal range there may still be a problem. Search what each of your test results mean and the medical information on the internet will help you to see what could be wrong. That's how I found my perinious anemia, a cardiologist, hemotologist and GP said I was in the normal range. Long story short it was my neurologist that found it. I still think mine tickers still off but it seems it may be my thyroid; keep asking, keep questioning and find a GOOD doctor that is not a 'cookbook' doctor they just go by the book and aren't interested in going the extra mile for you. If you can find a good homeopathic doctor they are the ones that really go that extra mile. They treat the cause not the symptom, fix the leak don't just patch the hole...... Good Luck
    suevit 24 Replies
    • September 21, 2007
    • 04:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel weird in my chest, when I eat I feel as if my chest will explode. I'm 13, male, very bad diet, only problems I've really had are feeling sick and bloated (Most likely my IBS) I just feel weird but I keep eating. I might ask my dad if I can go back to the doctors, but all he did last time was give me buscopan to relieve me of feeling sick. It worked for a few days, then my problems came back. Now, over the past couple of weeks I feel as if I'm gonna explode. I might burp and feel better, but usually it goes away after a few minuites. Anybody know what it is?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 26, 2007
    • 04:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Check into Wolffe Parkinson White Syndrome. WPW can sometimes cause those same sensations and irregular heartbeats. It can be detected easily by having an EKG (ECG). Ask your doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2007
    • 11:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had the exact same thing. Identical. Couldn't have described it better myself. I'm 40 now, very active hiker, climber, kayaker. Decent shape. Very good diet.Groton... exactly! Always accompanied by gas - burps and hiccups. Here's my story.First time it started was 4 years ago and continued for about 6 months. My doc couldn't figure it out and ran all kids of tests. I wore a heart monitor over Thanksgiving weekend.Everything came back fine and normal. On a whim, my doc asked that I get tested for Lyme, and it came back positive. I never had any other "traditional" Lyme symptoms.He prescribed an atibiotic - Doxycyclene, I believe. 2 days later the palps were gone and I actually felt better than I had in months. It was gone for almost 3 years.But now... it's baaaaack. Exactly like before. So I'm doing some research again. Some life factors are the same - frequent travel, not getting great sleep, stress... but that's life. Those things have been there always.Thanks to all who have posted here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm a 15 year old and I feel like my chest is pressured and I have a hard time breathing and I feel as if my heart would stop then my body goes into panic mode could this be a heart problem?
    andrews 1 Replies
    • October 6, 2013
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement