Discussions By Condition: Heart conditions

Weird sensation in chest

Posted In: Heart conditions 13 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 21, 2006
  • 01:04 PM

For the past 1 1/2 to 2 years I have had these weird sensations in my the center of my chest. I'm not sure if it's heart related, or what. But my heart feels like it skips a beat or flutters, and it feels like I lose my breath. It just happens for a split second, I grab my chest because sometimes it just feels like an intense sensation when it happens. It's kind of a sharp feeling sensation. They happen at random times.

Well last night was the worst, when I tried to lay down to go to sleep, and I had several of them in succession. I was comtemplating whether or not to go to ER, but I didn't. I stayed up just a little while, layed on couch for while and didn't have another one, finally ended up back in bed with all my clothes just in case I decided to got to ER, but they didn't return. I was worried before when it was just one every once in a while, but now I am really worried now that I have several at one time. I think I am going to setup an appt with GP.

I was reading another post about someone getting diagnosed with ectopic heartbeat, so I guess it's possible it could be that, but I'm not sure.

I am a 26 year old male. 175lbs, I workout and run three times a week, and play a lot of tennis. Non-smoker. decent diet. I don't think I have family history of heart problems, although my 78 year old grandfather did have to have triple bypass heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. Oh, have mild blood pressure issues, that I keep a close eye on. It pretty much averages 131/75.

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• It's probably a PAC/PVC. Usually they are benign and even the healthiest of people can get them. Still, you should talk to a cardiologist or at least your family practitioner. Also, avoid any caffeine as that can bring on palpitations or make one's that are already there worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2006
    • 03:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this at the start of going on Metoprolol. This lasted for a few months and then transitioned into full blown atrial fibrillation.See the post on "Atrial Fibrillation" in this forum. You may not have this but this is true as well. Many have very mild symptoms and don't even know they have it. Many, like me, feel just what you describe. VERY uncomfortable, very distressing and plain ole not a very nice sensation.Next time, get yer *ss over to emerge and they'll hook you up to their monitors and give you a diagnosis. Do what they tell you, they're the experts. From there, do your own research and make your own way. And don't take "no cure" or "idiopathic" for an answer. There's an answer for everything and with enough effort you can find your own. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 03:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • thyroid can cause erratic heart beats. Have tpo tested not just tsh. also try magnesium and calcium
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 09:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like what I have, something called PVCs. They are FAR less frequent when I stay away from caffeine, take magnesium and get LOTS of sleep.Go to a cardiologist and get a monitor put on that you wear home. When you have an episode, you push a button and record them, they can then tell you exactly what you have. Good luck-
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same problems, saw my doctor, and got an echocardiogram. I am 30, 178 lbs, and exercise a good amount. Turns out I have had high blood pressure in the past, causing a ventricle to be more muscular than the other. Doc says it's no big deal.....as long as I keep the blood pressure down it won't get worse. I made some lifestyle changes to keep the stress low. I moved, exercise more, and don't let things get to me as much. After weeks of running about 10 miles a week the sensations stopped. Doc says I'll be fine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 02:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms. Magnesium tablets can help but hte best results I have had are from taking 2 heaped teaspoons of savoury yeast, also known as brewers yeast flakes. Not the live yeast cultures for making bread. Yeat flakes are available from healthfood stores.Dissolve the two tespoonsful in half a cup of water and drink it down. It tastes pretty foul but it will make you feel immensely better within 30 minutes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2007
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 48-year-old male with BMI of 25. During a regular health check up some two years back, I was tested positive in TMT test. Subsequently, upon advise of the doctors, I underwent an Angiography, which showed absolutely normal results. I kept on my regular schedule of yoga, morning walk and /or playing Badminton. Everything Ok till last May, when I underwent a similar check up with a similar TMT positive result. Possibly due to stressed work schedule, I also tend to be slightly hypertensive with BP sometimes touching about 140/ 95, but most of time it used to be within 130/ 90. I am taking some In August last, during one of yoga sessions at an Art of Living program, while taking heavy and fast breathing, I suddenly had some stretched out feeling and breathlessness for some moments. Subsequent to that I am having a weird sensation shifting between right lower ribs to mid of chest. This associated with some weakness; I am not able to understand what I am suffering from and thus not able to concentrate on my work etc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 04:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this sounds like me, i get wierd sensations in the pit of my chest which forces me to breath in slowly then out fast. and dizzyness all in my head, ears. these sound like simiularsymptoms to you?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2009
    • 02:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You have anxiety just go to a psychiatrist tell them all the weird feeling or odc symptoms that you ve been having. Dontlisten to doctors because they just assume things like its a pulled muscle or something. Also they prescribe drugs that relax your entire body like xanax which doesnt even relieve the pain. Your psychiatrist will prescribe clozepam which is anti-anxiety drug. It doesnt make you feel high or dazzed it just reliefs your anxiety you wont become a vegetable when ur on it. It just makes you feel like a weight has been lifted and you now can finally live your life. If you dont believe me then ill tell u wat anxiety actually is its the release of endorphins into your blood stream causing your nerves to tense in certain areas like the chest. These chest pains can be as serious as having a heart attack but they are completely harmless to your body they just affect ur mind. Just to make sure their is nothing wrong with ur heart though tlk to a cardiologist. Please take my advice because i went through exactly wat ur going through if you dont treat ur anxiety itwill just develop into something stronger where u will start worrying about everything. Anxiety is cause by fear. If you were having any real serious problem it would have acted and healed aready. Your nerves cant heal.I am just tryuing to help you because anxiety can make u feel helpless and also because i know wat im tlking about.
  • It's mitral valve prolapse.
  • I'm only sixteen and I have this problem.. It's a bit of a scare. I weigh 105 lbs and I play lots of tennis and run and all. I eat healthy. This just happened again a few minutes ago, which is why I'm here now. It hasn't happened for a while. I'm always having weird things happen with my body. I figure I'll deal with them whenever I can take myself to a doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2010
    • 05:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• my 16 daughter also very active was told she has svt/ psvt.... have they said that to you.... it sounds somewhat similar... only they told her it may go away but its been daily more than 2 weeks and many doctor and ER discussions since. by the way lots of chest pain, arm pain, loss of breath... most of the time while still also. ekgs all normal as well.For the past 1 1/2 to 2 years I have had these weird sensations in my the center of my chest. I'm not sure if it's heart related, or what. But my heart feels like it skips a beat or flutters, and it feels like I lose my breath. It just happens for a split second, I grab my chest because sometimes it just feels like an intense sensation when it happens. It's kind of a sharp feeling sensation. They happen at random times. Well last night was the worst, when I tried to lay down to go to sleep, and I had several of them in succession. I was comtemplating whether or not to go to ER, but I didn't. I stayed up just a little while, layed on couch for while and didn't have another one, finally ended up back in bed with all my clothes just in case I decided to got to ER, but they didn't return. I was worried before when it was just one every once in a while, but now I am really worried now that I have several at one time. I think I am going to setup an appt with GP. I was reading another post about someone getting diagnosed with ectopic heartbeat, so I guess it's possible it could be that, but I'm not sure. I am a 26 year old male. 175lbs, I workout and run three times a week, and play a lot of tennis. Non-smoker. decent diet. I don't think I have family history of heart problems, although my 78 year old grandfather did have to have triple bypass heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. Oh, have mild blood pressure issues, that I keep a close eye on. It pretty much averages 131/75.
  • I'm 35 years old, just received a super preferred rating on my life insurance and ran a marathon one month ago. I started having a weird chest sensation that was impossible to explain. I would classify the feeling as a "pause" with my heart beat. It started happening about 5 times a day but quickly increased to 80 times per day. As the situation progressed I came close to having panic attacks as I thought I was going to die. I called a cardiologist and he put me through a stress test, blood work, ultra sound and 24 hour heart rate monitor. The doctor diagnosed me with PVC/PAC (premature ventrical/atrial contractions). He indicated everyone has these premature events and is related to stress. In other words, he told me to chill out. Once he told me I was OK, I haven't hand more than one PVC/PAC per day.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement