Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Burning pain in lower-right side?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: j2jpop
  • March 23, 2009
  • 11:25 PM

On the right side of of abdomen, under my rib cage, there is a sort of burning sensation.

A year ago, I would have the same kind of pain in my stomach and my doctor gave me pepcid (an antacid) for it and it went away.

Months ago, a pain started in my right side, but it turned into a sharp pain it would extend my hip and down to where my ovary is. First, I went to a nephrologist where I took a urine test. They found a little protein in my urine but she said that everything looked fine and recommended me to get a pelvic exam by a gynecologist. She couldn't find anything wrong with so she told me it was probably mittelschmerz, ovulation pain, which made sense because it happened in the middle of my cycle.

For the past few months, though, I'd feel the sharp pains for a few days along with the burning pain. The Internet tells me that ovulation pain usually lasts up to 48 hours, but the burning pain lasts beyond that. I'm guessing that the two different sensations are probably unrelated even though just both happened to start around the same time and both be on the right side.

The pain comes and goes; maybe comes for about a week every month. It doesn't hurt enough to be a kidney stone; it's actually a very mild pain most of the time. I'm wondering if this is only the same pain I felt when I had hyperacidity, only it just happens to be concentrated on one side. Is that possible?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• On the right side of of abdomen, under my rib cage, there is a sort of burning sensation. A year ago, I would have the same kind of pain in my stomach and my doctor gave me pepcid (an antacid) for it and it went away. Months ago, a pain started in my right side, but it turned into a sharp pain it would extend my hip and down to where my ovary is. First, I went to a nephrologist where I took a urine test. They found a little protein in my urine but she said that everything looked fine and recommended me to get a pelvic exam by a gynecologist. She couldn't find anything wrong with so she told me it was probably mittelschmerz, ovulation pain, which made sense because it happened in the middle of my cycle.For the past few months, though, I'd feel the sharp pains for a few days along with the burning pain. The Internet tells me that ovulation pain usually lasts up to 48 hours, but the burning pain lasts beyond that. I'm guessing that the two different sensations are probably unrelated even though just both happened to start around the same time and both be on the right side. The pain comes and goes; maybe comes for about a week every month. It doesn't hurt enough to be a kidney stone; it's actually a very mild pain most of the time. I'm wondering if this is only the same pain I felt when I had hyperacidity, only it just happens to be concentrated on one side. Is that possible?Hi j2jpop,The intermittent type of one-sided pain you've described sounds consistent with a possible ovarian cyst. Even though your GYN didn't find anything definitive during her exam, it's possible that a cyst small enough not to be felt may show on an ultrasound.I think it would be reasonable for you to follow up once more with your GYN and perhaps ask to have an ultrasound. The type of pain you're having doesn't sound like it's caused by gastric hyperacidity.Be well!!John
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please, describe the location of the pain better. Is it pelvic pain or flank pain or both? Or in between? Is there anything that aggravates the pain? How old are you? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to help. :)
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm 19 years old, and it's between my rib cage and my pelvic bone. Sometimes the area just above my pelvic bone hurts, but usually it's just my flank. Putting pressure on it (so that I am pushing in front my side) helps with the pain.
    j2jpop 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm 19 years old, and it's between my rib cage and my pelvic bone. Sometimes the area just above my pelvic bone hurts, but usually it's just my flank. Putting pressure on it (so that I am pushing in front my side) helps with the pain.Hi again j2jpop,Have you noticed any other symptoms such as increased fatigue, nausea, diarrhea or constipation? Have you had any low-grade fever?It's possible, if an ovarian cyst gets definitely ruled-out, that you may have a chronic form of appendicitis. Did your primary or GYN do any other labs in addition to the urine test?Be well!!John
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • Has your gallbladder been checked?
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same problem!! Now here's the thing, I am a 37 year old male so it's not anything to do with my ovaries. The pain for me comes and goes, sometimes every 4-6 months or so but only lasts for a few day to a couple weeks. A burning pain that flares in the right abdomen just above my hip. It feels better if I squeeze it or if I stretch my side up. It hurts like ***l when it's flaring up, but when it's gone, it's completely gone. I think it's been happeing for a couple years now, guess I should ask the Doc. Please let me know if you find out anything definate, good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same pain!!! It is in my lower right side just above my hipbone. A burning pain that flares up and receeds. Mine only comes every 4-6 months or so and could last form a couple days to two weeks. It feels better if I squeeze it or stretch my right side. It hurts like ***l when it flares but after the couple days or weeks it goes away completely, for a few months, then comes back. It has been coming and going for a couple years now and is pretty annoying. Now here's the thing, I am a 37 year old male so I doubt it's a problem with my ovaries. If anybody knows anything about this I'd appreciate it, and yes I know I should see the Doc. It's in the works.
    kevnmrka 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement