Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

nerve damage due to steroid injection

Posted In: Medical Stories 10 Replies
  • Posted By: riverdog1
  • March 21, 2009
  • 06:15 PM

I have damage to the nerves in my lower spine due to a local anesthetic (marcaine) with a steroid injection one year ago. I was being treated for a damaged coccyx due to obsessive cycling. The treatment was steroid injections with local near the site. Following the injection, no fluoroscope was used, both of my legs down to my toes have numbness, the pain in my coccyx has increased two fold, sleep is rare and the topper is nocturnal enuresis.
To date: two sleep studies with negligible results, two urologists both saying the injection "possibly" caused the symptoms; they will not document this though. Three neurologist staring blankly at the MRI's and X-Rays. Three osteopathic surgeons suggesting removal of the coccyx, but all stating poor post surgical results. Three physiatrists, all with unusually large hands and questionable bedside manors. One bone scan, two MRI's, two X-Ray's (one sit-stand), and now I am being scheduled for an EMG. Lawyer says I need a doctor to put in writing the injection caused my problems. Any Ideas where to go from here?

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• I have damage to the nerves in my lower spine due to a local anesthetic (marcaine) with a steroid injection one year ago. I was being treated for a damaged coccyx due to obsessive cycling. The treatment was steroid injections with local near the site. Following the injection, no fluoroscope was used, both of my legs down to my toes have numbness, the pain in my coccyx has increased two fold, sleep is rare and the topper is nocturnal enuresis.To date: two sleep studies with negligible results, two urologists both saying the injection "possibly" caused the symptoms; they will not document this though. Three neurologist staring blankly at the MRI's and X-Rays. Three osteopathic surgeons suggesting removal of the coccyx, but all stating poor post surgical results. Three physiatrists, all with unusually large hands and questionable bedside manors. One bone scan, two MRI's, two X-Ray's (one sit-stand), and now I am being scheduled for an EMG. Lawyer says I need a doctor to put in writing the injection caused my problems. Any Ideas where to go from here? I suggest you go around first to every place you have been and get a complete copy of all of your records. Don't make a fuss about it, just make sure you get every piece of paper in your file and every piece of film, every MRI disc, etc. Then you'll need to hire an attorney (personal injury lawyer specializing in medical malpractice). They will subpoena all of your records and tests. It will go against the doctors if they fail to include every bit of information that was in your medical records. The attorney will hire one or more independent medical expert to testify that the damage was caused by an improper injection....that is, if there is any evidence to come to that conclusion. I had surgery and the nerves in my esophagus were damaged by an anesthesiologist who got the airway tube down my gullet instead into my trachea, but he or anyone else in the room didn't document the error (a very common one in emergency rooms and surgery, I might add, but not always causing damage). I have had numerous tests and none of the docs I have seen will state that it is iatrogenic damage (iatrogenic means caused by treatment, ie, doctor caused). There is an incredibly strong good old boy network among medical professionals (about 60% of them don't deserve to be called professional). Great good luck to you!
    penathey 91 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have damage to the nerves in my lower spine due to a local anesthetic (marcaine) with a steroid injection one year ago. I was being treated for a damaged coccyx due to obsessive cycling. The treatment was steroid injections with local near the site. Following the injection, no fluoroscope was used, both of my legs down to my toes have numbness, the pain in my coccyx has increased two fold, sleep is rare and the topper is nocturnal enuresis.To date: two sleep studies with negligible results, two urologists both saying the injection "possibly" caused the symptoms; they will not document this though. Three neurologist staring blankly at the MRI's and X-Rays. Three osteopathic surgeons suggesting removal of the coccyx, but all stating poor post surgical results. Three physiatrists, all with unusually large hands and questionable bedside manors. One bone scan, two MRI's, two X-Ray's (one sit-stand), and now I am being scheduled for an EMG. Lawyer says I need a doctor to put in writing the injection caused my problems. Any Ideas where to go from here? In addition to the legal issues you should pursue, I recommend acupuncture to help get you back on track. Acupuncture works, and can really help with this type of pain. www.acufinder.com and type in your zip code for a certified practitioner near you. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your post, I have experienced the "Network" first hand, I guess they are not an easy nut to crack. I think many lawyers experience this too, for when I call and explain my situation to them, they automatically ask for one of my doctors throw the doctor that did the damage under he bus. Almost challenging me on to get one doctor to say that this damage was caused by my Doctor. In fact, I have a letter form the lawyer that looked most closely into my circumstances, asking for one doctor to say that the injury was caused by him, and they will pursue the case.
    riverdog1 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • You say these doctors acknowledge that it was a medical mistake but won't put it in writing? Have you tried tape-recording their verbal reactions? It's legal most places (check first) and could provide you with the 'proof' you need. Most cell-phones nowadays have a voice recorder and are very discreet. Also, you could write your own letter, to these doctors, summarizing their findings and ask them if that was indeed their findings and if so, to sign it. You can say it is for insurances reasons (not exactly a lie....). How can they get away with telling you something and not being accountable for their words? It doesn't seem right to me......there has to be a way to get them to admit this is the cause if they truly think so.
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • Again thank you for your responses. You have given me some good ideas! Sometimes I feel really alone in all this. It helps to know there are others out there and maybe, hope? I am going to, for the first time, see a neurosurgeon next week. Hopefully this DR will be able and willing to connect the dots on paper for me. Hey, even better, he might have a solution or treatment that works? The only diagnosis that some doctors document is: Cauda Equina Syndrome.
  • Again thank you for your responses. You have given me some good ideas! Sometimes I feel really alone in all this. It helps to know there are others out there and maybe, hope? I am going to, for the first time, see a neurosurgeon next week. Hopefully this DR will be able and willing to connect the dots on paper for me. Hey, even better, he might have a solution or treatment that works? The only diagnosis that some doctors document is: Cauda Equina Syndrome. Please try acupuncture. DOM
  • Thanks acuann, that is now on my list. I Have a good friend that swears by acupuncture. I might be a little needle shy, but I will try.
  • Thanks acuann, that is now on my list. I Have a good friend that swears by acupuncture. I might be a little needle shy, but I will try. As a Doctor of Oriental Medicine I love getting new patients who are needle shy...after one session of acupuncture they are usually saying " what on earth was I afraid of? Didn't even feel the needles!". The acupuncture needles are as thick as four human hairs:). Best wishesDOM
  • Did you ever get the EMG done? It will tell you if there is any nerve damage. You don't have to tell them exactly what caused the possible nerve damage just see if there is any nerve damage. If you don't have one now you will likely have one done by an independent doctor hired by your lawyer that will cost you a lot more.
    SpineGirl 64 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did you ever get the EMG done? It will tell you if there is any nerve damage. You don't have to tell them exactly what caused the possible nerve damage just see if there is any nerve damage. If you don't have one now you will likely have one done by an independent doctor hired by your lawyer that will cost you a lot more. Apologies to all that posted for the delay, but I pretty much gave up. I have resigned myself to the pain and the pain killers, although they are not helping any after 6 months of taking them. EMG not done. My insurance ran out, now seeking state sponsored insurance. They will pick up the pre-existing conditions. Tried acupuncture, it worked for a friend, but not for me. Again, thanks.
    riverdog1 4 Replies
    • October 8, 2009
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement