Discussions By Condition: Brain conditions

Pain/Pressure in back of head when I laugh

Posted In: Brain conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: venissa
  • November 17, 2006
  • 04:02 PM

Does this happen to anyone here?

If so, do you know what causes it? Once I stop laughing the pressure/pain eases up. This is not a normal pain from laughing......its different. Sometimes it hurts so bad that I have to stop laughing to make the pain/pressure ease up.

On rare occasions I notice it hurting even when no laughter is involved. At that time it is dull pain and pressure right at the base of my skull.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I have the exact same problem. I never really thought about it being an issue but now that I am older it has been a concern of mine.

When i laugh really hard the bottom on my head seems to swell, tighten, and cause pain. Once I stop the bumps( i like to call the swelling) go away and the pain stops after awhile.

Have you found any other information about this?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 17, 2014
    • 03:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have just started experiencing this a few months ago and I feel crazy . Whenever I laugh, or am really happy, my head tightens and sometimes feels like it will explode. When my sister from 2,000 miles away surprised me on my. Doorstep , I thought I was going to have a stroke ! Any info would for great!
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 3, 2014
    • 07:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi did you ever get an answer for this issue? I always get a throbbing pain at the base of my skull when I raise my voice or laugh really hard. It's so painful that it makes me stop and hold the back of my head until it eases! What's causing this? It's been happening for a long time now :(
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 19, 2014
    • 08:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this happening for years - and I've done a few searches every few years and never really found anyone else who had it until now. It only happens when I laugh really hard - and its often accompanied by a strong tingling sensation that borders on painful.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • December 7, 2014
    • 00:49 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement