Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Small Lump right side of neck

Posted In: Blood conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 17, 2009
  • 07:22 AM

Hello thank you for taking the time to read this.

Im a 23 year old male and about 2 years ago now I was just randomly feeling my neck and noticed a small lump on the right side of my neck (about 3 inches directly below my ear) it is about 2cm across in size and quite flat. When I touch the edge of it it feels quite spongy and moves around a little when I touch the edges and it does not hurt to touch. I have had no bouts of colds, coughs, flu, exhaustion etc and have not had any other problems so in general my health has been excellent.

I did point out the lump to my Doctor a year ago and he said it was just a swollen lymph node and to come back if it got bigger or caused any pain. It hasn't effected my life or health so I kind of forgot about it until a few days ago when I just happened to feel the area again and it was still there exactly the same as before it feels exactly the same and has not grown in size. The best way to describe it would be if I push down a little on the edge of it it seems to squish down a little and move a bit it feels quite soft probably the consistancy of the touch of your nose.

I am just a little worried as it has been there now for over 2 years and can't help thinking it could be something more then jump a swollen lymph node as I have read lymph nodes swell to fight infections but I haven't had any for a long time. My other question is if it was something serious then wouldnn't I have experienced any other symptoms yet as it has been there for like 2 years now wouldn't other symptoms have come out if it was something more serious?.

I am going to the Doctors this week to see what he says now. I know no one can give a proper diagnosis online but if anyone has had similiar or has any help or advice on what you think it could be would be great. Thank You.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Swollen lymph nodes can single infection but they can also be caused by an underlying problem. Swollen lymph nodes that persist past a few weeks means there is an underlying disease that is causing it. Common one's are endocrine system problems (hormone), pituitary gland problems, benign or malignant tumors, (Don't get scared, less than 20% are those) but another interesting thing I found out is if you are a SMOKER that lymph nodes swelling in the neck/head area can be a first sign to a lung malignancy. Get to a Dr. and have a needle biopsy followed by a CAT Scan so you can be sure. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi! i just took my son to the doctor for his shoulder. while there, i had notice the same thing on his neck. when he turned i noticed it on the other side. he is 18 and they werent there 6 months ago. i asked the doctor and got the same reply as you. to be honest im kind of freaked out by it. he hates doctors and didn't want attention brought to it. i'm glad that you recieved the same information as us, but it still didn't get us anywhere.lol. good luck with it and if you recieve any new information please post! thanks! shannon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hello thank you for taking the time to read this.Im a 23 year old male and about 2 years ago now I was just randomly feeling my neck and noticed a small lump on the right side of my neck (about 3 inches directly below my ear) it is about 2cm across in size and quite flat. When I touch the edge of it it feels quite spongy and moves around a little when I touch the edges and it does not hurt to touch. I have had no bouts of colds, coughs, flu, exhaustion etc and have not had any other problems so in general my health has been excellent.I did point out the lump to my Doctor a year ago and he said it was just a swollen lymph node and to come back if it got bigger or caused any pain. It hasn't effected my life or health so I kind of forgot about it until a few days ago when I just happened to feel the area again and it was still there exactly the same as before it feels exactly the same and has not grown in size. The best way to describe it would be if I push down a little on the edge of it it seems to squish down a little and move a bit it feels quite soft probably the consistancy of the touch of your nose.I am just a little worried as it has been there now for over 2 years and can't help thinking it could be something more then jump a swollen lymph node as I have read lymph nodes swell to fight infections but I haven't had any for a long time. My other question is if it was something serious then wouldnn't I have experienced any other symptoms yet as it has been there for like 2 years now wouldn't other symptoms have come out if it was something more serious?.I am going to the Doctors this week to see what he says now. I know no one can give a proper diagnosis online but if anyone has had similiar or has any help or advice on what you think it could be would be great. Thank You.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2009
    • 00:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Swollen lymph nodes can single infection but they can also be caused by an underlying problem. Swollen lymph nodes that persist past a few weeks means there is an underlying disease that is causing it. Common one's are endocrine system problems (hormone), pituitary gland problems, benign or malignant tumors, (Don't get scared, less than 20% are those) but another interesting thing I found out is if you are a SMOKER that lymph nodes swelling in the neck/head area can be a first sign to a lung malignancy. Get to a Dr. and have a needle biopsy followed by a CAT Scan so you can be sure. Good luck to you.Swollen nodes that last more than a few weeks do NOT neccessarily mean there is an underlying disease.When I was in my late teens, I had a swollen one that persisted for two years and several others that lasted for months. In fact, when I went to the doctors, i was told they may never go back to their normal size although they would eventually go smaller.If the person in question has had this for two years and has had no other symptoms then it is highly likely that there is no cause at all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2010
    • 11:55 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement