Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Shoulder pain around collar bone ?!?

Posted In: Muscle conditions 27 Replies
  • Posted By: kutyafal
  • November 16, 2006
  • 09:02 PM

It's not broken I know that much. I broke the left one a long time ago so I know what it feels like. But this feels similar in the right shoulder and also at the base of the neck. Gives me a stiff painful neck also. Had it for 3 days now and it's pretty bad. Didn't do anything particular I can recall other than played some tennis and threw some football over the weekend. Then this started on Monday night kind of suddenly while laying on couch watching TV.
(Yeah, I know I should've been up and exercising instead. Must be couch potato syndrome. :) )

Have full range of arm motion and good strength. No sharp point of pain just in the general area of the collar bone more towards the base of the neck than at the tip of the shoulder and towards the back. Just a constant nagging pain day and night. No particular arm position makes it better or worth.

Anybody had anything like this?

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• i have had right side shoulder pain for about 4 months now, its on and off but dont go for longer then 2 days at a time. its between my collar bone and armpit (central to the two) and its like an ache that sometimes gets more uncomfortable on breathing and also leaning shoulder forward. but other then that i have full range of movement and can move it generally with no extra pain. my dr feels its something muscular skelotor as i also have (although not continuoues like the shoulder) some other upper body aches and pains from time to time.) is yours just in your shoulder or do you have other areas that are troublesome?
    raymae 21 Replies
    • November 18, 2006
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Mine is only in the right shoulder, closer to the base of the neck towards my back. It is now slowly going away. I think it must be some sprained muscle down deep. I'm surprised how long this lasts. Probably will be another week before all the pain will go away.
    kutyafal 1 Replies
    • November 20, 2006
    • 00:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You sound like you have strained the muscles and tendons around the collar bone and shoulder, particularly since it started after the tennis.You need to see an osteopath if it happens again or continues to be a problem. You may be overdoing the exercising and it is catching up, or not moving properly. I am really into prevention of injury.And for Raymae, since your pain has been lingering, the same above would apply. The shoulders and collar bone are subjected to a lot, even slouching and being a couch potato can lead to these areas becoming a problem. I cant do any sport activity becasue of my connective tissue problems (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome EDS), and I get really bad problems with my collar bone and shoulder area. I literally have to crack my back into place everyday and unknot tight muscles.All the best.searchingsam.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2006
    • 00:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same pain consistently for the past year, and I know how you feel.Mine is a different case though, obviously, since it has not gone away.Ive had to see many different doctors for help but they can't seem to find what is wrong.The sad thing is, I'm only 15!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • You could be describing what happened top me exactly. I am having a hard time believing that I still have this pain. Advil seems to make it go away for awhile but it comes right back. I have been trying heating pads, icing it and modest exercise in the pool. All seem to provide limited relief. I can touch a spot by collar bone at base of the neck and it seems to be an isolated area that is irritated. Open to ideas.
  • Poor posture is problem to all pain. I had the problem and learn to solve the pain. No pain pill. Just my chicropractor and massaging my pain away. Hot water bottle $7.00 and ice cool gel pad. Sneaker lace over shower curtain and pull away. One up and one hand down. Go slow at start and your arm and shoulder will feel a little pain first. Neck will feel a little heated after you exercise. Tempur-pedic pillow try before you buy. Neck pillow at home and a car neck pillow for your car. You find it at Target or car wash place. Your head is 11-12 lb for average person.
  • i broke my colar bone about 8 weeks ago and there has been no bone growth. no healing. what what be the reason for that.?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 05:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi ive had this for ages it comes and goes but last week in agony my doctor says its where the collar bone joins the ribs and where it joins the shoulder. The join swells up, which makes it feel like ive broken my collar bone. Ive just been given some cream that should releive the pain because if i take anymore nurofen plus im going to rattle! Theres not much you can do about it appart from pain killers and anti inflamotary tablets. Hope this helps :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2009
    • 06:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a similar problem from a broken right collar bone four years ago. (From a broken skull I was seven weeks coma.) This particular shoulder problem was solved by a few massages. It returned every few weeks, but less often over time.
  • i recently hurt my collarbone in abike accident and got x-xays which only showed that it wasn't fractured but just bruised. i have full motion now about a week later but a completely new type of pain showed up. it is a sharp pain that comes and goes several times a day and is its worst at night. i wonder if there is anything wrong nuerological. The bad thing is that im only 15, and id hate to be restricted from activites for the rest of my life.
  • I have a similar issue, when I was in the gym yesterday conducting shoulder presses (on a hammer strength machine) I heard a crunching sound in and around my collar bone, towards the base of my neck. It is not broke but rather stiff today, any suggestions? I am thinking it might be the tendons. Although lifting did not bother it as I finished my workout yesterday...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2009
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i know, im 14, i play football in texas and i have this horible pain that distracts me in class. if i tell the coach he will boot me to the bench, and i wont get my letter jacket. i just want to know what it is so it becomes much easyer to deal with. a they say knowing is half the battle. right?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 18, 2009
    • 06:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my son has brock his collar bone is it nomal for one shoulder to be lower then the other???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2009
    • 10:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • my son has brock his collar bone is it nomal for one shoulder to be lower then the other???I'm 30 and have noticied this issue on and off for the last 3 or so years for quite some time it flaired up about 3 years ago when I golfed probably 5 out of the 7 days of the week and and I went in they did tests, xrays, nothing, just said it's a strain.Just recently here it's back and even worse, it feels like it ties in with my neck and shoulder, whenever I move my arm circular its making a popping noise in my shoulder, but its by no means painful, just really annoying. I think it may have to do with my sleeping and sleeping with that particular arminfront of my body. I think it has to do with putting some unusual flexion on the collarbone itself and the muslces around it, anyone else a 1 arem sleeper with it across your chest or body under you? I try to fall asleep on my back and I seem to wake up the same way every day with it under meu
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2009
    • 08:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 30 and have noticied this issue on and off for the last 3 or so years for quite some time it flaired up about 3 years ago when I golfed probably 5 out of the 7 days of the week and and I went in they did tests, xrays, nothing, just said it's a strain. Just recently here it's back and even worse, it feels like it ties in with my neck and shoulder, whenever I move my arm circular its making a popping noise in my shoulder, but its by no means painful, just really annoying. I think it may have to do with my sleeping and sleeping with that particular arminfront of my body. I think it has to do with putting some unusual flexion on the collarbone itself and the muslces around it, anyone else a 1 arem sleeper with it across your chest or body under you? I try to fall asleep on my back and I seem to wake up the same way every day with it under meuI am a one arm sleeper myself. Have the same problem, try to sleep on my back, but never end up that way or can't get to sleep that way. My neck pops all the time, and the pain is worsening and giving me headaches. Have recently had upper back problems too. Been on Mobic for a few months now...don't know what to do.
    stefaniefast 1 Replies
    • January 10, 2010
    • 00:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same pain consistently for the past year, and I know how you feel.Mine is a different case though, obviously, since it has not gone away.Ive had to see many different doctors for help but they can't seem to find what is wrong.The sad thing is, I'm only 15!Have you had your gall bladder checked out? As weird as it sounds sometimes it can cause shoulder pain
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2010
    • 00:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I am a physical therapist. Pain in the collar bone region most likely is referred pain from your neck. You may not have any neck pain specifically but the body sends the pain to the shoulder area. Some easy things you can try is to ice your lower neck area for 10 minutes, three times a day. Be very aware of maintaining good posture as poor posture (such as sleeping on the couch) can be an aggravator. Use anti-inflammatory medication such as advil a few times a day if you can tolerate medication. If the pain continues, see an orthopedic doctor that can help differentiate between a potential neck and shoulder injury. Good luck.
    JTrempe 101 Replies Flag this Response
  • You all need to look into whether you clench your teeth at night (or during the day).TMJ or TMD symptomology includes collarbone pain (the nerve involving the collarbone area gets pinched from jaw clenching).Check with your dentists. I hope this helps someone!Kori
  • hi my name is heather 5 years ago my ex boyfriend hit me by my collar bone and ever sence then i had bad pine going from my shoulder down my arm i dont know what to do plases help me
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2010
    • 00:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a one arm sleeper myself. Have the same problem, try to sleep on my back, but never end up that way or can't get to sleep that way. My neck pops all the time, and the pain is worsening and giving me headaches. Have recently had upper back problems too. Been on Mobic for a few months now...don't know what to do.I also sleep primarily on my right side with my right arm under my body or behind me and I have started feeling this same pain that is being described in the previous posts. I slept on my back all last night and the pain is a little better today. My posture is not the best and I do clench my teeth when I'm stressed so I'm thinking all of these things may be contributing to it. I'm gonna try a heating pad, schedule a massage, focus on my posture and try to sleep on my back for a while, hopefully it will fix the problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2010
    • 01:11 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement