Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

shortness of breath, stomach pressure/ upper ribcage pressure.

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 10 Replies
  • Posted By: hunter hass
  • March 15, 2009
  • 09:01 PM

hello everyone i am 15 years old. 6'0 ft, 155 lbs. and i am at my wits end with this problem i have been having every since 4th grade.. i am currently a sophomore in highschool. every since 4th grade i have been having this shortness of breath, pressure in the upper part of my stomach, and it feels like i cant get a full breath of air in.. i get to about 65% way there and then i hit rock bottom. and stop inhaling. so i went to the doctor last year and found out i probably had acid reflex. so the doctor gave me prevacid. that shortly helped for about 2 or 3 months. then the symptoms came back and i started having the breathing problems. then my dad called the doctor and asked for a perscription of nexium and thatworked for about a couple months, but the symptoms kept coming back!. so then a couple months ago i went back to the doctor and he said try doubling up , taking like 2 to 4 nexium a day..and that still didnt work. so then he sent me off to a speciaist and they took a endoscopy, and a ph acid test (twice)...and the results came back that i had a little bit of acid damage, and the acid ph test showed that i had acid coming up when ever i ate food...so they concluded that i had acid reflex... and i kept telling the doctor about my sypmtoms of breathing and pressure in my stomach. and he said there was nothing he could do about it....and i just had to live with it! so its been a month since then. and i still have the same exact symtpoms whenever i eat food...pretty much any food.. i stoped eating bad foods like junk food, and it didnt help it at all...so im sitting here right now just feeling like i want to commit suicide...and i also tried the digestive enzymes for a couple of days and they havnt been helping at all..i have an enhaler..and it doesnt help also....its like nothing i do will make these symptoms go away.. and i really need some advice.. i know some of you people online feel the way i do because i have been looking at some of the threads you guys have been posting...so please if u feel like i do tell me how your feelling tell me if you solved your problem? and how???? i need some advice to stop this problem or else im gonna end up killing myself soon.. please help!:(

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Hey kiddo,I came across your message when I googled some of your symptoms. Doesn't seem like I'm dealing with something similar to yours, but I felt like I should write you a reply anyway. I also had an annoying condition which didn't bother me all that much, but which doctors said they simply couldn't cure - only help with the symptoms. It was treated and cured successfully with acupuncture.Western medicine is great for treating many conditions, but it has significant shortcomings. Since it sounds like you've hit a brick wall with your doctor, I would suggest that you consider alternative medicine solutions. In particular, acupuncture tends to be very helpful with finding and treating the root cause of your condition. The way Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) sees things, your acid reflux condition might actually be the manifestation of a completely different condition or imbalance in your body. I live in Toronto, which has a very large Asian (specifically Chinese, but also Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese) population, and therefore finding an acupuncturist isn't very difficult. What may be difficult is finding one you're comfortable with. I've found that it's very important to see a practitioner who speaks English clearly, who is patient about communicating treatment goals and expectations, and who is serious about getting you better. Acupuncture may seem hoaky to some people (for example, examining your tongue is an important part of the diagnosis process). If you're skeptical, I would suggest that you look for a practitioner in your area who uses AcuGraph - a computerized system used to provide a measurable diagnosis based on Traditional Chinese Medicine principles. Acupuncture is covered by most health insurance plans. Since it does involve using needles, and since you're a minor, the practitioner would probably need your parents' consent to treat you. However, many practitioners are willing to offer a free consult, to which you could probably go on your own before you pitch the idea to your parents. Although this is already common practice in North America, make sure your acupuncturist uses new, sealed, sterile, disposable needles. You may also wish to consider other alternative treatments, such as chiropractic care, naturopathy or homeopathy. A balanced diet, manageable stress levels and sports or physical activity on a regular basis are always good advice. The important part, however, is for you to remember that there's always another way to treat a medical condition and that you shouldn't give up or feel desperate just because you haven't found a solution *yet*. I don't have a profile on this forum, but I will check up on your thread occasionally in case you have any other questions.And don't forget to smile :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • not really sure if this willhlep but see how you go. someone i know had reflux problems etc..problems when they ate, shortness of breath etc..reflux was blamed for years.when they ate food wasnt getting down through the stomach properly..finally they found that part of their stomach was up under their chest. it was a rolling hiatus hernia. after an operation to pull the stomach back down into place they now can eat anything, and havent the shortness of breath problems.
  • Sometime, I feels the same problem like yours that is the short breath and heavyness in stomach and it usually happens due to heavy and uncontrolled eating so, I made my diet accordingly so that I can improve my routine.Thankshttp://www.liferaftgroup.org/gist.html
    namratasnv 30 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ok I'm 12 years old don't no much about this but I no this since I gave a acid reflux problem. First of all once I get it I take a rolaid which is just calcium u suck on. That helps alot. But that's not was ganna say try this when you are eating chew your food till it's almost nothing because if u don't chew enough and swallow your stomache brings up more acid to break down the food. Just try it.. And have a nice day!
  • hello everyone i am 15 years old. 6'0 ft, 155 lbs. and i am at my wits end with this problem i have been having every since 4th grade.. i am currently a sophomore in highschool. every since 4th grade i have been having this shortness of breath, pressure in the upper part of my stomach, and it feels like i cant get a full breath of air in.. i get to about 65% way there and then i hit rock bottom. and stop inhaling. so i went to the doctor last year and found out i probably had acid reflex. so the doctor gave me prevacid. that shortly helped for about 2 or 3 months. then the symptoms came back and i started having the breathing problems. then my dad called the doctor and asked for a perscription of nexium and thatworked for about a couple months, but the symptoms kept coming back!. so then a couple months ago i went back to the doctor and he said try doubling up , taking like 2 to 4 nexium a day..and that still didnt work. so then he sent me off to a speciaist and they took a endoscopy, and a ph acid test (twice)...and the results came back that i had a little bit of acid damage, and the acid ph test showed that i had acid coming up when ever i ate food...so they concluded that i had acid reflex... and i kept telling the doctor about my sypmtoms of breathing and pressure in my stomach. and he said there was nothing he could do about it....and i just had to live with it! so its been a month since then. and i still have the same exact symtpoms whenever i eat food...pretty much any food.. i stoped eating bad foods like junk food, and it didnt help it at all...so im sitting here right now just feeling like i want to commit suicide...and i also tried the digestive enzymes for a couple of days and they havnt been helping at all..i have an enhaler..and it doesnt help also....its like nothing i do will make these symptoms go away.. and i really need some advice.. i know some of you people online feel the way i do because i have been looking at some of the threads you guys have been posting...so please if u feel like i do tell me how your feelling tell me if you solved your problem? and how???? i need some advice to stop this problem or else im gonna end up killing myself soon.. please help!:(Well, I'm no doctor, but it seems fairly obvious that someone needs to do an MRI and or CT scan of your torso, it sounds like the doctors you have are kind of clueless, and just ignoring some of the symptoms. My guess would be one or more tumours somewhere near your stomach, lungs and ribcage, compressing your internal organs and putting pressure on your ribcage. If there was fluid building up in your lungs, it might explain your shortness of breath, but that alone wouldn't explain the pressure on your stomach and ribcage. Any half-decent doctor with a stethoscope should probably confirm your shortness of breath by listening to your lungs.One thing puzzles me though, did those medications temporarily stop all of your symptoms? If so, then I have a feeling it might be something else. In any case, you need a decent doctor that will do a thorough examination, including blood tests etc, and most probably CT/MRI scans of your chest. Don't settle for anything less. Also be sure to explain any and all symptoms, no matter how trivial they may seem to you.
  • According to me, it needs to be observed properly so that there should not be any problem later and after consulting with the doctor properly, then better to make any predictions.All it requires is proper, medication and diagnosis.Thankshttp://www.liferaftgroup.org/gist.html
    namratasnv 30 Replies Flag this Response
  • For awareness purposes...Check into carcinoid syndrome.My health complains were: flushing, fainting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and IBS. I had also been diagnosed with orthstatic hypotension (tachycardia arrhythmia & low bp).Carcinoid Cancer is a very rare form of cancer and can be difficult to find even when medical professionals are looking for it. Some tests to help determine Carcinoid Cancer: CgA, 5-HIAA 24 hr urine test, CT scan (doesn't always see it), and Octreotide Scan (aka OctreoScan, 85% accurate). Carcinoid Cancer is often misdiagnosed for years. Please educate yourself on carcinoid cancer as well as carcinoid syndrome.I was misdiagnosed for years by many doctors. By the time they found my Carcinoid Cancer, I was at stage 4.Thank you,Jennifer HolmStage 4 Carcinoid Cancer patient,Advocating Carcinoid Cancer Awareness
    wildmonkeys1 14 Replies Flag this Response
  • Just a warning about getting a non-traditional diagnosis or treatment. My wife has been diagnosed with Lupus. Prior to her diagnosis she was completely immobilized by pain throughout her whole body. Not getting much help from traditional medicine, we sought help from a non traditional Asian practitioner in Canada. His diagnosis was that her immune system was weak and he prescribed her a few items to strengthen her immune system. His diagnosis was a result of feeling her wrist and looking into her eyes. For those of you who don't know what Lupus is or does, it causes the body to attack itself by making the immune system hyper active. The result of our visit to Canada was that it made her condition substantially worse. As I mentioned earlier traditional medicine wasn't exactly stellar but we were able to get results by just being persistent.
  • you could have a hiatial hernia. It is where your stomach goes up past your diaphragm a little and puts pressure on your lungs.symptoms include - upper left chest pain, bloating, gas, belching, diarrhea, trouble digesting food, trouble taking deep breaths, pain/ pressure on left lung. do a google for hiatial hernia, if your symptoms match the ones from this condition it is something a chiropractor can fix.I had one, and my chiropractor was able to manually pull my stomach back down in to the right place, it is a bit painful, and you have to have it done a few times before it begins staying there on its own, but it does not require surgery and it will eventually stay down and heal.another thing you can try to see if this might be your problem -after you wake up in the morning drink a pint of warm water, then relax your stomach muscles as much as possible, try to breathe with your stomach instead of with your chest.stand on your toes and then quickly drop to the balls of your feet hard, the weight of the water in your stomach can force it back down into place, providing you with temporary relief - if your problem is indeed a hernia.
  • Try apple cider vinegar.... It works wonders and can literally cure acid reflux, mix 2 tbls with water and drink 3 x a day.... I drink it right out of the bottle and it cured mine....
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement