Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

2nd Toe - Major pain-swelling but no break

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: chgo36
  • March 8, 2009
  • 05:29 PM

Looking for some help....I recently was on vacation in Hawaii and one evening my 2nd toe (next to big toe) had swelling, discoloration and throbbing pain. I had went snorkeling that day but I never stepped on anything nor do I think I was stung by anything while in the water or on land. For the next week, it had become slightly worse so I took ibuprophen and was icing it at regualr intervals to help with the pain and swelling. At that time I thought I may have broken the toe since I had hurt the same toes about 4 years prior and it was slightly larger than the same toe on other foot and tender if I bumped it. Upon return home, I went to an orthopedic doctor who took several xrays but there were no broken bones or fractures. Everything looked normal. He was stumped but felt since there was some inflammation and was warm to the touch, he began treating it as an infection and I have been taking 500mg of Keflex 4 times per day and have seen very little improvement. It is very painful and can throb very severely at times especially when I am on my feet and have had a shoe on. It is restricted to only the toe and the area right above the toe on the top of the foot which is slightly swollen.
Looking for any ideas....could the infection be in the bone? I am going to call the doc tomorrow and I think he is going to do an MRI?

Any info is appreciated

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement