Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Purple-blue skin color

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 47 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 13, 2006
  • 09:26 PM

Does anyone have experience with purplish blue extermities? My feet & hands have always been cold & I have had this condition forever. The doctors just say "poor circulation". I'm wondering if there could be anything else wrong.

Reply Flag this Discussion

47 Replies:

• Yes, depending on your age it could be many things. It could be poor circulation like they said or it could be Raynaud's syndrome which can cause ulcers etc... HAve you seen another doctor? It could also be caused by blood clots.
    Junemarie 6 Replies
    • November 16, 2006
    • 02:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Recently when visiting a new doctor, she looked at my hands and the ends of my fingers and the nail beds were blue or dusky looking. A year ago, my friend noticed my right foot was blue during another doctor appt. Recently I have noticed my toe nail beds being blue. Have just read it can be pulmonary or heart related.
    flowerfloosey 23 Replies
    • December 16, 2006
    • 06:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This color is due to cyanosis (lack of oxygen) probably, which is a due to decreased blood circulation. If you are taking heart medications such as beta blockers, you will have decreased circulation due to the affect of this medication. It can cause Raynaud's syndrome symptoms as Junemarie mentioned. Regards, Rj
    Irradiated 23 Replies
    • December 16, 2006
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your replys. I have been told I need to see a cardiologist because of a very high heart rate and autonomic neuropathy symptoms. I wonder if this could have anything to do with that?? I am not on beta blockers. My sister died suddenly at 53 of a massive heart attack as did my grandfather. It is scarey!!
    flowerfloosey 23 Replies
    • December 16, 2006
    • 06:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same dark purple blue especially in cold weather and on my feet sometimes, usually just hands- i would have an ANA test run to determine the underlying cause- im still trying to figure out mine- am gonna get a skin biopsy-
    erin23 19 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 06:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 31 weeks pregnant and have noticed that my toenails are extremly blueish purple..is soak them in hot water...in a foot spa and elevate them for circualation..i just wanted to make sure that the lack of circuatlion isnt hurting my baby
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 07:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • the same happens to me!please let me know if you find anyinformationxieaualoha@aim.com
    xieaualoha 2 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 10:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi , no one mentioned about numbness and tingling or white color befor the other color changes. I have ranauds and thos are my symptoms. Also always always keep hands and feet warm in the winter especially when cold and damp... Thanks for letting me share. Fair:D
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 11:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have congestive heart failure and congestive cardiomyopathy. I had seen doctors, had tests, etc. I believe they felt I was a stressed out woman and I would get over it. One day I got up from a meeting and could not feel my legs. Palpitations still existed, my extremeties would go cold and numb, and I began to get breathless because my heart was beating so fast-and for no apparent reason. Then it got to where it exhausted me to talk and I am a very fit and active person! One night I came home and looked at my legs. One was purple and the other was normal. My symptoms were mostly all on the right side which is not traditionally the heart. So I TOOK A PICTURE!! When I took it into my doctor I was finally taken seriously. 4 months later my cardiologist was running tests, and I had a heart cath. This was a little over a year ago. I was unable to get my meds for a while which caused problems. But then started to get better again.I am having other symtoms now. Constant nausia and migraine symptoms. My right pupil is now bigger than the left, but still reactive. There is tightness around my throat. A feeling like I can't get enough oxygen and the core of my body muscles are constantly flexed which now is terribly uncomfortable and I have trouble swallowing as if I am being choked. But the nausia is almost unbearable now. This has been going on since October. At first it lasted only a week, but progressively gotten worse and now does not go away.I hope the first part of this note helps you. If anyone can help with the latter part of my comment I greatly appreciate it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 10:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Pj, Please get tested for Lyme disease and co infections.Autoimmune problems can cause the lack of oxygen, as well as circulartory issues....Please get your thyroid checked, thats the body's thermastat...and tested for Lyme...Hope you feel better soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2007
    • 10:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 48 and for months have had hands that get very blue and dusky, especially at night, even in warm weather. No white, not typical Raynaud's, but had one positive ANA, so rheumatologist is checking it out. But also gets much worse when sitting in one place, which makes me think circulation, and my feet and hands fall asleep easily and left foot has been slightly swollen for 6 months. Have also had episodes of chest pain, going through to my back and pain and palpitations with dry mouth that sometimes prevent sleeping. Also sometimes, but not always, during exercise get chest spasms that last just a second or two, and then discomfort and congestion in my throat. Have had echo and stress test, even holter monitor, all normal, and new cardiologist even said I don't have mitral valve prolapse, which was diagnosed 15 years ago. Not a smoker. Anyone else get all this together? I am going through menopause (not taking hormones) and take baby aspirin and lipitor. I do have reflux, so doctors like to pin it all on that, but it certainly doesn't feel like heartburn, and I do take treatment for that. For all the talk about women and heart disease, it is hard to get a cardiologist to take the next step, especially when you don't look like typical heart disease candidate.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 05:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My uncle's legs and feet are a complete purple-blue color.They have been that way for twenty-five years.He has difficulty walking.What should I know?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 10:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To the 48 year old above- Do you have thyroid issues? I am a 32 yr old that had RAI for Graves disease- Apparantly hyperthyroidism can cause secondary pulmonary hypertension.I have read your post and relate to a lot of it all of it. The symptoms simultaneously for sure. I have not had the cardio work up but did have a normal ekg when I went to the ER thinking I was having a heartattack. I am asking my Endo tomorrow about this Pulmonary Hypertension- it can cause a lot of the same symptoms- I hope that helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 09:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For me, it's not just my hands and feet that get all bluishy-purple, but also my face turns this colour. It only happens to me in the winter, no matter how warmly I dress. Other people get cold too, but they don't turn all purple-blue like me!?!?!?! My family doctor, who was a dermatologist, told me it's completely normal and it's just my circulation. But what is causing my bad circulation then?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 09:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my mother had the same problem start at 31 years old went to several doctors and they found nothing finally at age 36 her feet started to stay cold she then went to a different doctor that found her with cad hardening of the arteries they did immediate surgery her aorta was 100 percent blocked they told her if she hadnt came when she did she would of died so please get checked for this disease its a simple test and painless:(
    kirsten 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • k, this might aound a bit stupid but if you are going to criticise me then just don't bother saying anything. I am 14 years old and this winter, for the first time, my hands (and sometimes my feet though generally I have shoes on) have started going purple. They look like they belong to a dead person. They are generally absolutely freezing although to me they don't feel cold its just when other people touch my hands. When they do feel cold to me they often get orange spots on them. They look like I have drawn on my hands with highlighter but it is just my skin. I swear to god it really freaks my friends out. They also seem to dry out really easily. I do try to wear gloves obviously as they do not look nice but there is no pain that comes with it unless i get into a bath with they are still really cold. My Mum researched it and she thinks it's reynaulds(I am not sure how it is spelt) but when I have looked it up it says the hands are white and often very painful- mine are not. The actual condition has no effect on me but my friends think I should get it checked by a doctor.,.... if anyone has any informatoin could you email it to me at didyousaysomething@hotmail.co.uk I know that sound rude but I don't know when I will be on the computer again. Thank-you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just read that it could be hypertension and/or thyroid problems. Get the works at your next physical!!!!!!!!!
  • I've had the "purple hands" syndrome for over 25 years. I remember I used to freak my friends out in middle-school gym class who'd see my purple hands and legs.For me, the purpleness disappears in my hands if I rub then and then lift them above my head for a few minutes. Also, taking a warm shower helps.My case is clearly a circulation problem, but I don't know what to do about it, save for getting a heart transplant or maybe have my veins operated on.
    Systor 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • My legs are a purplish blue color, I haven't seen a doctor yet since I'm not sure whats wrong.
  • I also have purplish red skin on my feet and hands. On my hands the palms are purple in spots and red. When I press on the hand the skin turns white and stays white for about 15 seconds then slowly starts to come back. I have also been told I have Arthersclerotic Disease. I am seeing a heart doctor after having a echo. I had the echo a week ago so I figured my heart was ok or they would have called. I have the doctors appt. next week. Any ideas?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement