Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Extreme dry hands...no cure! What is it?

Posted In: Skin conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Katie K.
  • March 4, 2009
  • 09:55 PM

Hi, My hands are so extremely dry! They crack, bleed, and itch, and sometimes swell from all the small cuts. They are really red all the time (except when they get cold they are super white). The redness stops right at my wrist, in a VERY distict red line. I have no rashes anywhere, or skin problems anywhere else, just my hands. The doctors don't know whats wrong with me. Doctors have persctibed tons of steroid creams, nifedipine, and amlodipine. Ive tried all the creams in the store; cetaphil, aquaphor, etc. Nothing works. Its not a fungus. When I go on vacation, my hands totally clear up...wether its to a warm place or rainy place. I have had this for about 8 years. It's very noticable and painful. What is it?! Please help me! Any suggestions?
Feel free to email me at: corvettegirl02@gmail.com

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• hi im liz. im 18. i had kinda the same problem. my hands were beyond imaginably dry. cracked. bled. water hurt so bad. i couldnt grab a pen, spoon, or grab my pants to pull em up. everything made my hands crack and hurt. the pain was soo unbearable. then the doctor told me i had exema. (i probally spelt that wrong). she told me to use undied, and no fragrance lotions. she recommened eucerin lotion. (which is pricy for me). but now i use eucerin and my hands are ok. but from time to time they still do it. so i hope this helps. also curel lotion works for me to. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2010
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, my fingers are EXTREMELY, HORRIBLY uncomfortable. They crack, peel, bleed, puss, and just painful. I have been prescribed a steroid called Flusonide Cream. It WORKS!! I also soak my hands in corn starch 2 a day for 20 mins and but lotion on....My hands look completely different!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, my fingers are EXTREMELY, HORRIBLY uncomfortable. They crack, peel, bleed, puss, and just painful. I have been prescribed a steroid called Flusonide Cream. It WORKS!! I also soak my hands in corn starch 2 a day for 20 mins and but lotion on....My hands look completely different!!Don't rely to much on Steroid Cream, as they will thin your skin, making them more sensitive in the long run..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement