Discussions By Condition: Gallbladder conditions

Gallbladder removal and than liver disease

Posted In: Gallbladder conditions 21 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 3, 2009
  • 10:48 PM

I am trying to find out if anyone who has had their gallbladder removed ended up later having elevated liver enzymes? Or diagnosed with CAH (chronic active hepatitis - broad spectrum diagnosis).

This situation was diagnosed via ultra sound. No biopsy done.

If so how long after GB removal and how high did your levels go?

What did your doctor prescribe - supplments, meds, diet change?

Thank you for any help.

Patty

Reply Flag this Discussion

21 Replies:

• Its been 4 weeks. No one on this board has experienced this? Please help if you can.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed in October 2007. Since that time I have experienced diarrhea and stomach aches after I eat anything - whether it be fatty, greasy foods, or fresh fruit or vegetables.Lately I have been having severe pains in my abdomen that feel similar to gallbladder attacks. I went to the doctor today and they are running multiple blood tests to see if anything is happening with my liver or pancreas. Today is Friday, and I have lost 9 lbs. since Monday of this week from vomitting, diarrhea, and basically being afraid to eat anything for fear of the pain.
  • Wow, its been so long. Finally have a response. Please post back with your ALT and AST liver levels or anything else that may be elevated. Cholesterol and GGTP can also indicate liver. I pray your levels are normal. But that you can find the reason for your pain and easily correct it. Thank you so much for responding
  • My ALT and AST levels are not over the limits but are higher than before since my gallbladder/appendectomy Oct 15/2008. I was asked a few times by doctors if I drink since then? I said no and if I did it wouldn't be too often. My body does not like alchohol very much. But I did find out certain prescription/over the counter drugs can cause these issues to get worse over time. Be careful and look at every drug you take and what you eat (high fat foods) and drinks. If you do not drink alchohol look into contributing factors as well as med's. Example I have been on seizure drugs and anti-inflammatories.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2009
    • 01:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed back in 1980. They did not have gallbladder surgery using the scope then. My scar (since they also removed my appendix) is very large and long. Since then I have had liver issues. They once did a biopsy of my liver, when they went in they saw that I had a large amount of scar tissue attached to my liver. They introduced air into my belly and the surgeon worked for quite a while to unattach my liver from the scar tissue. Since then my liver enzymes have been normal. I do not think it matters how long it has been and how big the scar is, you could have scar tissue. A friend of mine has had stomach pain and intestinal pain for many years and they have been unable to find out what is the matter with him. They even gave him a morphine pump to deal with the pain. Very severe pain. Well, they just performed exploratory surgery on him and also found a very large amount of scar tissue in the area of his scar, from when he had his appendix removed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2009
    • 00:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had emergency gall bladder surgery Sept 3, 2009. I never had a problem with my gall bladder. However, I was told it is not uncommon for pregnant women or women who recently gave birth to have gall bladder disease. I had my first child 2 months prior. Now, I was just told I have elevated liver enzymes and have to go in for further testing. Is there a link?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2009
    • 09:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed in October 2007. Since that time I have experienced diarrhea and stomach aches after I eat anything - whether it be fatty, greasy foods, or fresh fruit or vegetables.Lately I have been having severe pains in my abdomen that feel similar to gallbladder attacks. I went to the doctor today and they are running multiple blood tests to see if anything is happening with my liver or pancreas. Today is Friday, and I have lost 9 lbs. since Monday of this week from vomitting, diarrhea, and basically being afraid to eat anything for fear of the pain.I had my gall bladder removed last fall and have the same thing! I get sick off anything I eat....I now have found out that I have fatty liver disease. I still get the abdomen pains and am very bloated.
  • I had my gall bladder removed last fall and have the same thing! I get sick off anything I eat....I now have found out that I have fatty liver disease. I still get the abdomen pains and am very bloated.I had my gallbladder removed in or around 1990. I am having at times extreme fatigue, nausea, dizziness, easy bruising and elevated liver enzymes. currently, though I am beginning my menopause, however, this issue with liver enzymes is repeating, and very debilitating. Am very concerned about it.I have chronic fatigue syndrome which I heard can have overwhelming effects on the liver which doesn't help at all. All I know, is that it is really hard when I over do it, I crumble, unlike other people, that's my weak link, that's when I get dropped from life and have to rest.
  • Wow, its been so long. Finally have a response. Please post back with your ALT and AST liver levels or anything else that may be elevated. Cholesterol and GGTP can also indicate liver. I pray your levels are normal. But that you can find the reason for your pain and easily correct it. Thank you so much for respondingMy wife, 33, had her gallbladder removed in January 2010. It came on rather sudden and was a scary experience. Since then, we have been to the emergency rooms numerous times due to her experiencing pain that she says is just like the gallbladder pain she had before it was removed. They will check her liver and pancreas enzymes each time (upon our request) and they are always elevated. Yet nothing ever seems to be done about it.As I write this, she is now in a mental hospital. Her family and myself has seen such a drastic change in her personality these last few months, that we are certain that her psychological disorders must be due to something that her body is causing. I have read that some liver conditions can cause psychological problems. Last night she experienced the worst pains thus far, the staff at the ward tested her enzymes and once again her levels were high. I am hoping they will finally get around to doing further testing to find what on earth is going on with her! I fear that if they don't, she may possibly end up having liver failure.I only wanted to confirm your theory of having elevated enzyme levels after gallbladder removal. Unfortunately I have no other answers for you. I don't recall what the level numbers have reached. Since it has been so long since your posting, have you by chance reached any conclusion yourself?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2010
    • 04:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and now my doctor found that I have a fatty liver and since I am not overweight and basically healthy and I have no symptoms that it's probably because of the gallbladder removal. No further test are going to be done. So there is a link, I just will really start eating healthy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2010
    • 08:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • God bless you and your wife. I am saddened by your story and would like to suggest that you try a good probiotic supplement to help her. It is a common occurrence for the intestinal flora to become out of balance after a surgery like this, especially when antibiotics have been used. This can cause many problems including brain dysfunction. I have had success with a brand called NATREN, Healthy Trinity. Good luck! I will check back here to see if you respond to this message and will answer any questions you have. My wife, 33, had her gallbladder removed in January 2010. It came on rather sudden and was a scary experience. Since then, we have been to the emergency rooms numerous times due to her experiencing pain that she says is just like the gallbladder pain she had before it was removed. They will check her liver and pancreas enzymes each time (upon our request) and they are always elevated. Yet nothing ever seems to be done about it.As I write this, she is now in a mental hospital. Her family and myself has seen such a drastic change in her personality these last few months, that we are certain that her psychological disorders must be due to something that her body is causing. I have read that some liver conditions can cause psychological problems. Last night she experienced the worst pains thus far, the staff at the ward tested her enzymes and once again her levels were high. I am hoping they will finally get around to doing further testing to find what on earth is going on with her! I fear that if they don't, she may possibly end up having liver failure.I only wanted to confirm your theory of having elevated enzyme levels after gallbladder removal. Unfortunately I have no other answers for you. I don't recall what the level numbers have reached. Since it has been so long since your posting, have you by chance reached any conclusion yourself?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2010
    • 04:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• What it sounds like to me is Wilsons Disease. With Wilsons Disease you have elevated enzymes in your liver and pyschosis due to your liver not being able to metabolize copper in body. Therefore your body is being poisioned due to copper in the foods we eat that are body can not pass. I would definately have some tests run for Wilsons Disease seems like your wife has more than one symptoms of it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2010
    • 07:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My ALT and AST levels are not over the limits but are higher than before since my gallbladder/appendectomy Oct 15/2008. I was asked a few times by doctors if I drink since then? I said no and if I did it wouldn't be too often. My body does not like alchohol very much. But I did find out certain prescription/over the counter drugs can cause these issues to get worse over time. Be careful and look at every drug you take and what you eat (high fat foods) and drinks. If you do not drink alchohol look into contributing factors as well as med's. Example I have been on seizure drugs and anti-inflammatories.My ALT and AST levels are high today. I had my gallbladder removed about 10 months ago...they are going to repeat my bloodwork in a week and are having me stop all tylenol, lortab,etc. Weird thing is I do have a script for Lortab and tried to tell them that I don't take them, so we shouldn't have to wait to repeat...but I guess they probably don't believe me. I will wait like they said, hopefully it was a false read. I don't know what having those levels high mean anyway? anyone know?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2010
    • 07:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Gallbladder patients just need to thin out their bile, clean up their diet and eliminate food allergens. Once a gallbladder has been removed, there are things you can do to reduce the consequences.http://www.thegallbladdersymptoms.com/When you eat, the gallbladder contracts, empting its contents into the small intestine, where the bile mixes with the food. If there is no storage sack (gallbladder), then the bile constantly drips into the intestinetake care and see your doctor
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2010
    • 03:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder out 15 days ago an I have had 4 "attacks" in two weeks - my liver leves are in the 400's and now my lipase (pancriatic) is 305 - it should be in the 100 - 250 range....NO ONE will do anything but "dope me up" on pain and nasua meds and send me home.... I feel worse now than I ever did before
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2010
    • 02:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wilson's disease is an inherited disorder that causes too much copper to accumulate in your liver, brain and other vital organs. Another term for Wilson's disease is hepatolenticular degeneration.Copper plays a key role in the development of healthy nerves, bones, collagen and the skin pigment melanin. Normally, copper is absorbed from your food, and any excess is excreted through bile — a substance produced in your liver.But in people with Wilson's disease, copper isn't eliminated properly and instead accumulates, possibly to a life-threatening level. Left untreated, Wilson's disease is fatal. When diagnosed early, Wilson's disease is treatable, and many people with the disorder live normal lives. Source: http://www.btscene.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 11:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder out 15 days ago an I have had 4 "attacks" in two weeks - my liver leves are in the 400's and now my lipase (pancriatic) is 305 - it should be in the 100 - 250 range....NO ONE will do anything but "dope me up" on pain and nasua meds and send me home.... I feel worse now than I ever did beforeOMG, I understand how you feel I had my surgery on Nov 12th and landed back in the ER several times (bloodwork, CT scans but yes they just dope me up on demerol, my surgeon doesn't believe me (actually had the nerve to ask me about my social & mental state~***k because at this point I thought I was crazy) I had more episodes of the severe pains vomiting bile, dry heaves, lost 12 lbs (which I cant afford to) so my mom tried to get the surgeon to see me again he refused. We have found another doctor the day before Thanksgiving who actually believed me & listened sending me back to the hospital to check so I had an ultrasound & blood work, the surgeon saw my mom at the hospital during my ultrasound & screamed at her that he was my DR (after he refused to see me earlier that day, ughhh) anyways my blood work showed elevated liver enzymes ALK PHOSPHATASE 220 (normal 40-135), ALT 227 (normal 10-35), AST 105 (normal 10-40), AMYLASE 158 (normal 24-125) and LIPASE 145 (normal 8-78) then I had follow up blood work the day after Thanksgiving he had his nurse call me so tomorrow I go back for more blood work and see him next Tuesday they said my levels had gone even higher and we need to get this figured out. I am very upset & nervous now. I just wanted to share my story with you because you are not alone please know that!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 10:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gall bladder removed in 2007 due to a large amount of gallstones. I have blood work every 6months. Last friday I went to the dr due to stomach issues (nausea, vomiting, burning, pain and diareah) my dr did the typical blood work and yesterday called and told me my liver enzymes are extremely high and I have a ultrasound of my liver scheduled for monday. I have severe pain under my rib in the front and back on my right side. I don't drink and never have I might occasionally have a single mixed drink but its not very often. I was dx with bile reflex in 2008. My liver enzymes have never been elevated and was a cause for concern for my dr. I am hoping that its nothing serious my father passes away in 2009 from pancreatic cancer. I will post as soon as I find out what they find.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2011
    • 10:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had a liver transplant 6 months ago. At my last follow up doctors appointment the doctor told me the caused was from a gallbladder removal I done in 1991. the pathalagy report after the transplant stated this was the cause. After the gallbladder surgery i had elevated liver levels but stable. Then in 2008 I had a esophagus bleed out and was told this was caused from the liver. finally went to end stage liver failure the summer of 2010.I never thought it could have been from gallbladder surgery.
  • I had my Gallbladder removed in 2003 and its left me with a condition called ( Dumping Syndrome ) nearly every thing i eat goes through me within half an hour.i now know what foods im safe with as i work outside as a dustman and there's not always a toilet to run to. i can eat something today and be alright and eat the same thing tomorrow and need to run to the loo. and you get servere pain in the stomach and are not able to hold it in. since having my gallbladder removed everytime i have blood tests done my liver function test (LFT) comes back high reading. and last week i went to my GP for something unrelated to the condition i have. and he sent me for more blood tests. and now hes called me in agian because my LFT and bilirubin are high.so my appiontment with him is next week 1st july 2011 what will he want to do now.i forgot to say at the start of this my name is Darren and im 38.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement