Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Pinprick Red Dots

Posted In: Skin conditions 16 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 13, 2006
  • 01:25 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between cherry angioma's and petechaie?

I have several red pinprick sized dots on my upper arms and thighs, maybe 100-150 in total. They all developed overnight in February. I did not have a DR and went to a clinic, where they said that it was angioma's. The Dr spent two seconds evaluating me, he didn't even check to see if they blanch or check to see if they were on the surface of my skin or underneath. He also had to look in a book.

He said that it was wierd that they all developed overnight and basically blew me off, telling me to see my PCP. I also have numerous other symptoms but after being blown off so many times I feel silly bringing it up to my new Dr. I don't want to be treated like I am just being paranoid, I know that there is something wierd about these dots and my numerous other symptoms.

I have tried researching both cherry angioma's and petechaie, but there are not many pictures to go by. Some of the dots are on the surface of my skin and some are underneath. They do not go away, and if anything they are still showing up.

Does anyone have any idea of how to tell the difference?
I would appreciate any answers, and do you think I should bring this up with my new Dr? He has me scheduled for an ultra sound because he said I was very tender in my abdomen region.
Thanks in advanced,
Angie

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• You should have a CBC done. I have Aplastic Anemia and it happens to me all the time. NOT to say that is anything what you have but it is better to be safe than sorry. If you have any bruising ( more than normal ) bleeding gums you should get checked out sooner than later. But it could be NOTHING too.Take Care
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2006
    • 11:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would encourage you to go ahead to post your other symphoms. No one here knows you and it might be helpful.My wife has something like this, her's definitely itches from time to time.She's been to her doctor several times and he's just not sure, after-all, it doesn't interfer w/ anything else, so they don't get to concerned, yet. That's understandable and un-understandable too.I did find something related on the net but I'm waiting for her to get home so I can post it later.Her's are at varying degree from inside the skin, to more pronounced outside. The item I found on the net had them with a sort of a string extended. Not sure this is what she has exactly but it sure was interesting.This is why I would like to see posted your other symptoms and I wish all postings would include what their doctor has said. thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2006
    • 06:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Angie,The difference is that angioma occur on or just under the skin and do not usually occur in any type of cluster, while petechiae occur in clusters and are very well documented as to their cause. It sounds like you are describing angioma. There is very little known about the cause(s) of them, however I speculate (as do many other scientists and doctors, who are conducting research) that there is a direct connection with the presence of angioma and liver damage. What are your numerous other symptoms? As these signs may be significant to what treatments you should be pursuing. There are a number of different things that may cause the liver to not work properly, depending on what, how long and to what degree of damage, the organ is very resilient and can be corrected. Do you drink? Even small amounts of alcohol can complicate other types of liver infections or drug interactions (such as tylenol and alcohol). I can tell you that many if not all doctors will not take the presence of angioma very seriously at this point in time because of the lack of any research or factual data to suggest that they are anything other than an aging body showing signs. Do you have any abdominal pain or frequent heartburn?On a side note, I am aware of some reports that one sexual partner had them prior to intercourse with their partner who did not have them and after a period of less then twelve months in some cases, the partner who did not have any angioma had them. This data has not been evaluated to be considered to have caused any type of transmission. However, knowing that many different types of things can attack the liver. It leaves some speculation to the theory. Without knowing your other symptoms, I would suggest you have a very simple blood test done to evaluate how you liver is working. The angioma can be removed easily at your doctor’s office (although with many it may not be recommended). I will tell you that I do have them myself, I do drink and in time I have noticed an increase in the number that I have, as well as an increase in the size of some of the original ones. In addition, my liver function tests are irregular and I have no signs of known liver diseases.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 08:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I developed about 30-50 red pin ****k marks on my torso, back etc...almost overnight... I'm also itchy on and off. The itchiness just comes and goes, I can't figure out what is causing it and then it develops into a little rash but then goes away pretty quickly. I am mostly itchy where my clothes cover me, but noticed my face has begun to itch a little too. At first I thought I was allergic to something. I have cats and have never had any allergic reaction to them. The itchyness is being triggered by something- I can go all day without being itchy and then wham....i'm itchy all over.I've been reading about people w/ red pin ****k -has anyone figured out what this is?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2006
    • 06:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I seem to have a similar poblem. small clusters of little red dots that itch like ***l and then dispappear , only to reappear in some other part of my body- back, stomach legs, arms scalp and now even my face. Followed by a small burning sensation. What could this be??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 08:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Cherry Angioma is hereditary. More and more will pop up as you age, or with exposure to the sun (make sure you wear sunscreen.) I've never heard of any correlation with the liver. The differences are subtle, but can be easily determined. Petechiae do appear in more of a flat, under the skin, cluster. While angioma is more commonly dome topped, and if you run your finger over it, you'll be able to feel the slightest bit of a bump. Angioma is usually bright red, as if you skin had been pricked with a needle. Petechiae on the other hand are brownish, and more commonly darker.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 01:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with the last reply! Angiomas are usually raised and are harmless benign skin manifestations. I have tiny red dots on my arms and some on my thighs and I have inspected the arms of my friends and we all have them, fair skinned people get them more than darker skinned people, they are all smaller than 1 mm and my physician said they are tiny capillaries that break and it's just part of the natural aging process of our skin. If they are in large numbers and are bigger than 1mm and have halos around them then you should probably consult with your doctor. But if they aren't just relax, if people inspected their arms as thoroughly as we all have then they would find some. Some of mine blanch and some don't. Stay well!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2007
    • 07:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Petechiae are more like bruises, I do believe.
    Temperate 35 Replies
    • August 28, 2007
    • 11:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Petechiae are more like bruises, I do believe.Actually not. Petechiae are small red, pin ****k-sized dots on the skin caused by the escape of a small amount of blood. It's a minute hemorrhage.Cherry angiomas are red dome-shaped lesions usually occurring on the trunk and formed as a result of the weakening of the capillary wall.You're referring to ecchymoses, those are bruises.Purpura are small, usually round, purplish dots caused by a small hemorrhage in the skin.Also purpura is a group of disorders characterized by the presence of purpuric lesions, ecchymoses, and a tendency to bruise easily.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 17, 2007
    • 02:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Actually not. Petechiae are small red, pin ****k-sized dots on the skin caused by the escape of a small amount of blood. It's a minute hemorrhage...You're referring to ecchymoses, those are bruises...purapura...small hemorrhage in the skin...minute hemmorage, exactly...like...a bruise. :P hemmorage means 'bleeding' ecchymoses is basically a synonym for bruise, of course I'm referring to ecchymoses o.0....I was saying that petechiae are LIKE bruises, I didn't say they were. She wanted to know the difference between them so I said petechiae are more like bruises.
    Temperate 35 Replies
    • September 18, 2007
    • 04:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have theese angiomas. They have litterally popped up overnight and they grow in number everyday,a dn some are growing in size also. i ahve been on a diet for the past 2 months drinking protein shakes in the day,a dn eating veggies and fish at night, I think the fish has something to do with it. i stopped the fish 2 days ago and swithced to meat. would diet have anything to do with this? will they go away alone or will I have to have them removed? there are several on my breasts, and they are unsightly.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I was just reading through everyones response. I have chronic uticeria ( which is chronic hives). Doctors have been trying to figure out what I'm allergic to or what is causing this problem. Some days I have none and other days I'm covered head to toe. I also have the pinprick red dots, and my doctor thinks I am anemic. Results are not back yet, but it's looking like I am anemic. I also have stomach disorders, my stomach can't digest food. I don't have gastroparesis, which is delayed emptying of the stomach. Does anyone think that my hives, pinprick red dots and stomach disorder are related?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2009
    • 08:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had erythema annulare centrifugum in early 2006, used clobetasol to treat. then went on vacation to AZ a few months later and had all these little raised itchy red dots. My theory was maybe caused by bedbugs, or bleach on the sheets, or chlorine in the pool. I did use the clobetasol on these many little spots just to see what would happen and within a week they dried up and disappeared. don't know if it was related to EAC or not but the steroid cream helped.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2009
    • 00:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • what would cause pinprick like bruises on your forearm?????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2009
    • 03:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I developed about 30-50 red pin ****k marks on my torso, back etc...almost overnight... I'm also itchy on and off. The itchiness just comes and goes, I can't figure out what is causing it and then it develops into a little rash but then goes away pretty quickly. I am mostly itchy where my clothes cover me, but noticed my face has begun to itch a little too. At first I thought I was allergic to something. I have cats and have never had any allergic reaction to them. The itchyness is being triggered by something- I can go all day without being itchy and then wham....i'm itchy all over.I've been reading about people w/ red pin ****k -has anyone figured out what this is?I am experiencing the same exact thing you are talking about. I am fearful. I have been on anti-depressants for about 22 years and I know they have affected my liver, altho, I have not been tested. Mine seemed to come up overnite. The itching is on and off, terrible at times. I am also on pain medication for my back and have been for 3 years. This also frightens me. Please, anyone with any answers, please reply. Doctors simply do not take this seriously enough, and then bounce you from one doctor to another. I know my body, and I know this is not right. I'm even getting bumps on my face now, not talking about acne. I don't know what it is, they are close to the hairline. I really am scared and think I may take up my Doc's advice to have a full body scan done to check for cancer, as it runs on both sides of my family and I am a smoker of 20 plus years. Please pray for me even tho you don't know me. I will for all of you too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • There is a theory in the "natural medicine" world that these are the results of BROMINE, which is added to much of what we put in our bodies, on our bodies and surround our bodies with....many foods, cosmetics, hair dye, flame retardant clothes/carpet/furniture foam, etc....even electronics (computers/phones)....it's everywhere...all around us and manifests in these red bumps all over us as the body is attempting to detoxify and rid itself of it. I just found this link and have not tried the detoxifying suggestions, but here's the link if you want to peruse the possibility...It certainly makes sense and I think it's worth trying...it can't hurt!! I hate these things. They at first were tiny and unnoticeable to others, but yesterday a large one suddenly appeared under my eye. I am going to try the suggestions and will try to post back at the success/failure of the removal of these things.http://www.iodine-resource.com/cherry-angiomas.html
    ReneeStein 1 Replies
    • September 1, 2011
    • 05:53 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement