Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Pinprick red dots

Posted In: Skin conditions 26 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 13, 2006
  • 00:53 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between cherry angioma's and petechaie?

I have several red pinprick sized dots on my upper arms and thighs, maybe 100-150 in total. They all developed overnight in February. I did not have a DR and went to a clinic, where they said that it was angioma's. The Dr spent two seconds evaluating me, he didn't even check to see if they blanch or check to see if they were on the surface of my skin or underneath. He also had to look in a book.

He said that it was wierd that they all developed overnight and basically blew me off, telling me to see my PCP. I also have numerous other symptoms but after being blown off so many times I feel silly bringing it up to my new Dr. I don't want to be treated like I am just being paranoid, I know that there is something wierd about these dots and my numerous other symptoms.

I have tried researching both cherry angioma's and petechaie, but there are not many pictures to go by. Some of the dots are on the surface of my skin and some are underneath. They do not go away, and if anything they are still showing up.

Does anyone have any idea of how to tell the difference?
I would appreciate any answers, and do you think I should bring this up with my new Dr? He has me scheduled for an ultra sound because he said I was very tender in my abdomen region.
Thanks in advanced,
Angie

Reply Flag this Discussion

26 Replies:

• if you do find out what they are would you let me knowi have something kindove like it .. i acidentl scratched one and it bled like it wouldnt stop it was weard i had to put preshure on it for a long time for it to stop i dont have a clue.. mail me at missy_13_84@yahoo.com if you would thanks!:confused:
    missy_13_84 5 Replies
    • December 23, 2006
    • 07:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Did u find out what they r? I have them too like all over my chest and arms and they don't itch these tiny red spots what in the world are they? Any info would be appre.Meowjessmiimeowjess@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing--just started happening to me. Overnight I woke up with 40 little red bumps that do not itch on my upper thighs. Over the next few days, more have appeared. I thought it was possibly insect bites, changed all the bed linens, etc. Today I woke up with more bumps on my stomach--my daughter slept with me last night, I have checked her, she has nothing on her what so ever. So I am guessing that rules out the bugs...Now I am really wondering whst they are caused by... Any guesses out there?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm 20 and I have some of these (3) spots on my body. I have one on my stomach, one on my arm, and one on my thigh. It's quite scary not knowing what these spots are. And, I'm a bit tender in my stomach too. Anyways, I hope and pray that we all all healthy and have nothing to worry about!
  • I am 33, don't have any health problems and am quite healthy. I just had a CBC (bloodwork) and everything is fantastic. I just developed these within the last year. I have bigger ones, which my doctor diagnosed as Cherry Hemangiomas. But, what confuses me are the little pin ****k ones. I have hundreds on my torso, face arms and legs. It seems as if every time I look, there's more. Any ideas about what this could be or how to get rid of them?
  • Has anyone found out what these were or if anyone who posted this a few years ago gets this are you healthy? I have a bunch and am really scared.
  • My mom has them and we're attempting to figure it out. We've been told to get checked for Celiac's since they may indicate allergies to certain foods. She's always had stomach trouble and now its worsened. That's when these showed up. Some of you reported tender abdomens so I'm thinking maybe they're right in linking it to gastrointestinal distress of some sort or another. -C
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2008
    • 02:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have had some raised cherry angiomas, but lately there are more and more red pin sized dots on my trunk and even a barely noticeable one on my upper fore head. Like the person before, some are raised and some are flat. I am 25 and very Irish-White/fair skinned and my dermatologist said they appear with age. My Dr is very fast though and doesnt spend much time with me. I have a follow up in December. Other than the increase in red spots, i feel great and workout 5 days a week. Is it just me, or do these dots resemble red broken blood vessels? At least thats what i initially thought. My father has cherry angiomas but i have never noticed the tiny red spots... but they would be hard to detect unless you were really upclose.
    Liberty06 2 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 03:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem. About 5 months ago, a bunch of these tiny little red dots formed overnight. Now in present time, I have hundreds of these little things all over my arms, legs, and even a few on my hands! They're so small, too. You can't really see them unless you really look up close. They look like broken blood vessels underneath the skins surface. They're bright red and they blanch when pressed upon. I keep getting more and more and the ones I did have are getting a little bigger. It's crazy. I'm only 21 and way too good looking for a problem like this. I went to my doctor who declared them as cherry angiomas. But... I don't know. I read somewhere that a sudden appearance of many cherry angiomas can be a sign of cancer. When I read that I flipped out and immediately fell off my chair. I bet you just did the same. Anyways, I'm pretty sure it isn't cancer though. If any of you guys find out what exactly they are and/or why you got them, please post. I'm also gonna investigate more and will hopefully soon be going to the dermatologist for answers. I'll keep you guys posted. -Danny
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey Danny,Did you hear that they could be a sign of cancer from Wikipedia? That is the only site that says that and they do not show a source for that statement. Kind of odd, since all of their other information has footnotes and references except for that "cancer statement." My dermatologist says they are hereditary and come as we age. She never heard of a cancer link. Please keep me posted.
    Liberty06 2 Replies
    • January 28, 2009
    • 02:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey guys,I've been stressing over these little blood red dots for years. My doctor always brushes me off and tells me that they are a minor flaw. I've been in a few times, I've always been healthy and feeling pretty good so he told me not to worry unless they come with an illness.But now my wife has these too, so do these things spread or what?I probably have aprox 100, mostly on my upper outside arms. I have a few on my thighs as well. My wife has a lot fewer, and also has cherry hamongias. Also, hers are larger than mine. Sometimes it's not a dot, but a really small red line.Anyone manage to get any answers?
    Alex_123 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• ...Also, hers are larger than mine. Sometimes it's not a dot, but a really small red line.QUOTE]Uh, a small red line can indicate blood poisoning...I don't know about the dots. I have a few (on my arms and one on the tip of my pinky!) and they've never really scared me, I just wondered what they were. They look just like I accidentally stabbed myself with a sewing needle but it never healed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2009
    • 03:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have these red spots on my arms. Ive had them since i can remember some are teeny little dots on my fingers and then the others are like red lines in the creases of my skin on my lower arm. Yesterday i noticed a new one just appeared. I can't find any explanation for them i looked at that cherry agnoia thing and those look like actual bumps mine are flat and if i strech my skin they go away and then when i release they come back. Its the weridest thing and i keep geting more as the years go on. I read somewhere it could be ITP which a low platelet count, but i'm going to make a doctors appt to make sure its not something bad. Please let me know if anyone figures out what these are.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2009
    • 02:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am also 20 years old. And have 1 small bright red dot under my eye, one on my chest, and one on my arm. I have noticed them appearing in the last year. I really don't know what to think from all of the things posted online. They are not clusters or very many just random bright red under skin dots. Any suggestions?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2009
    • 07:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hemangiomas can occur as women age - in their 30s and sometimes when pregnant and doctors say they are harmless. I too developed a TON of red tiny pinpoint spots all over my stomach, torso and arms almost overnight. However, I also have many other symptoms - probable chronic Lyme that I am waiting to be treated for along with a mast cell disorder more recently. Petachiae can be a sign of cancer but hemangiomas are not. The two are very alike in many ways sometimes. The least complicated answer is usually the answer. If you look up anything on the computer, you will think it is cancer and that we are dying. I have been through it - I know!! I was convinced mine were petachaie coming on so suddenly but they were not. ITP would result in poor blood clotting - bleeding from gums, and other places in body. Our dog died of ITP which is very rare actually. Don't get carried away - I bet it is hemangiomas. If you are in your 30s, late 20s or 40s even - hormone changes can affect blood vessels, causing these. If you are fair skinned, with lighter hair even more common. I get flushing sometimes so my dermatologist checked my tryptase level which came back elevated which can indicate a mast cell disorder like mastocytosis - cells in the blood/immune system. We all have them but sometimes someone will have too many resulting in sudden allergy type reactions - but severe systemic ones. For example, I am healing very poorly. I cut my knee the other day when I fell and two hours later I was covered in hives from head to toe - which I HAVE NEVER gotten before. Very strange.I would find a dermatologist that listens - mine did not either. I also have a lot of hair loss - A LOT and they are not concerned. Everything to them is always normal and act like we are paranoid. My dermatologist took a biopsy of one. They punch it out with a circle about the size of an pen ink refill. I am having atrophy in the skin also though. Anyway, the biopsy said hemangioma. Doctor could not tell, even with blanching if it was petachiae or hemangioma. If you are really worried, ask them to biopsy it for petachiae versus hemangioma. Then you will know for sure. You can see an endocrinologist or ask your pcp to run hormone testing to make sure no hormones are out of whack. If concerned about being pregnant, take a test for that as well. Good luck:DHi there,I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between cherry angioma's and petechaie? I have several red pinprick sized dots on my upper arms and thighs, maybe 100-150 in total. They all developed overnight in February. I did not have a DR and went to a clinic, where they said that it was angioma's. The Dr spent two seconds evaluating me, he didn't even check to see if they blanch or check to see if they were on the surface of my skin or underneath. He also had to look in a book. He said that it was wierd that they all developed overnight and basically blew me off, telling me to see my PCP. I also have numerous other symptoms but after being blown off so many times I feel silly bringing it up to my new Dr. I don't want to be treated like I am just being paranoid, I know that there is something wierd about these dots and my numerous other symptoms.I have tried researching both cherry angioma's and petechaie, but there are not many pictures to go by. Some of the dots are on the surface of my skin and some are underneath. They do not go away, and if anything they are still showing up.Does anyone have any idea of how to tell the difference?I would appreciate any answers, and do you think I should bring this up with my new Dr? He has me scheduled for an ultra sound because he said I was very tender in my abdomen region.Thanks in advanced,Angie
    rainsky 28 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 07:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • nice sharing!
    msletner 1 Replies
    • December 11, 2009
    • 02:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these red dots everywhere, they came up about 4 years ago. At the same time that I found several nodules in my thyroid. After lots of money spent, ultrasounds,and thyroid tests they cannot find anything wrong. I would still love to know why I have red dots, difficulty swallowing, no sex drive, and im tired all the time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 03:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 18 and I have the red dots too. They started on my feet and are now on my back, shoulders, and stomach. I have been tired alot also. I've been having kidney problems and thought that was why i was so tired but, I am better and still exhausted. If anyone knows what they are and why i have them so young that would be great!Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2010
    • 06:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 20 and I have some of these (3) spots on my body. I have one on my stomach, one on my arm, and one on my thigh. It's quite scary not knowing what these spots are. And, I'm a bit tender in my stomach too. Anyways, I hope and pray that we all all healthy and have nothing to worry about!Has Pityriasis rosea been ruled out? They say it doesn't itch but it does, lol. I had it in my early twenties.
  • Hello there,I'm 18, going on 19, and I have the same red dots. I have recently been dealing with a lot of pain in the Spleen area. After it spreading to my Gallbladder, kidneys and appendix, I went to the doctor to get checked out, but they found nothing. The day after my blood test I found one tiny red dot on my stomach, and one on my arm. The next day, I had two more on my arm, and another on my stomach. Now, just over a week later, I have more than a handful on one arm, three on the other, and now a handful on my chest. I've suffered from stomach trouble since childhood, and also struggle with fatigue constantly. I've been wondering if they're all connected. I'm not going to lie, these pinprick dots are starting to scare the ***l out of me. I am afraid to make to big of a deal about it, for fear of being called a hypochondriac, but I have to know what is going on with my skin. Some of you mentioned them blanching when you press on them. Mind don't. They stay the same blood-red color constantly. I just thought I would join the rest of you in saying that i have them, but have no idea what they are. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Contact @ - VeeNight@gmail.com-Erika
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement