Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Frequent urination, cramps, lower back pain & more!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 1, 2009
  • 05:04 AM

This has been going on since October 2008 (5 months) and no one has been able to help!

Back in October I got sick with a cold/flu and mild ear ache. I went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics which made it go away in a couple days. I don't know if they caused the following problems to happen or if it was simply a coincidence.

One night (while I was taking antibiotics) I started to get what felt like period cramps and lower back pain. I assumed I must be starting my period... WRONG! After a while I felt like I had to pee every 5-10 minutes. I couldn't sleep at all because I had to keep getting up and going to the bathroom. This went on for a couple days and then felt like it was starting to go away. I assumed it must have been a bladder/UTI infection and shrugged it off because I was starting to feel better.

About a week or so went by and it came back full force! I went to the mall with my mom and had to go pee after every store! This time it didn't go away after a couple days so I went to the doctors. I told him I had frequent urination, cramps and lower back pain and thought it might be a UTI. He did a dip stick test on my urine which came back negative, no infection. He drew my blood and sent the blood and urine to the lab for further testing. Because I was complaining of cramps he told me I needed to get a CT scan of my pelvis and abdomen. The CT scan results were completely normal, no masses, no kidney stones... nothing! I started feeling a little better so he said he didn't think anything was wrong with me.

After a week or so it came back again! I went to the doctors and he did another dip stick test on my urine. Again the results were negative, no infection but this time there were traces of blood in my urine. I was on my period at the time so we figured it was probably just contamination from my period. He gave me Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic) and said if there was some kind of infection going on that should kill it. I took the Cipro and nothing happened. I was still having all the symptoms.

At some point I started noticing yellow vaginal discharge. I don't remember when I first noticed it because it seemed to change daily. Sometimes it was creamy white, sometimes is was sticky clear and sometimes it was creamy yellow. Sometimes is was really heavy and sometimes I didn't have any at all. It was never consistent and I NEVER experienced the typical vaginal infection symptoms (burning, itching or foul fishy smell) so I didn't think it was related until I had exhausted all the other possibilities and decided to go to a gynecologist.

The gynecologist did a pap smear, culture and tested me for the usual STDs. All came back normal! But during the exam he said my cervix was inflamed and I had cervical cysts. He proscribed me Metronidazole gel (antibiotic inserted directly into the vagina). I used it and again nothing happened! I was still having all the same symptoms.

I went back to the gynecologist and he examined me again and said the inflammation and cervical cysts were gone and I was fine. BUT I WAS STILL PEEING ALL THE TIME AND HAVING PERIOD-LIKE CRAMPS AND LOWER BACK PAIN!!! How is that fine??? By this time everyone had my convinced it was all in my head and nothing was really wrong with me. So I let it go for a week and tried not to focus on it but the symptoms persisted.

I went BACK to the gynecologist (this time I saw another doctor). The new gynecologist said I had a lot of discharge and my cervix was inflamed (either it was still inflamed from before or it came back). He prescribed me Ciprofloxacin for 10 days (the antibiotic I took before) and scheduled an appointment for me to get Cryotherapy (where they freeze off the infection with liquid nitrogen all done in the doc office).

After taking Cipro for 7 days and seeing no signs of improvement I went back to the doctors to get another antibiotic because it didn't seem to be working. I saw yet another gynecologist! She examined me and said my cervix was a little red but not inflamed and although there was a lot of discharge it all seemed to look normal, no infection. She felt around inside and pushed on different things to see if I felt any pain and I was completely fine, nothing hurt. She said Cipro is like a bomb and should have killed the UTI and anything else in my system. She said sometimes colorful discharge is normal. Since I wasn't experiencing any itching or burning or foul smells it was ok even though it was really heavy. She asked me if I bleed/spot in between periods and I said no. She basically said I was fine and sent me on my way even though I told her I feel like I'm about to start my period EVERY DAY! I have cramps and vaginal aches EVERYDAY!

It has been 5 months and no one has been able to help me. I'm EXTREMELY frustrated because this is ruining my life! I'm depressed all the time and I feel like I'm never going to feel 100% normal again. Every time I go to the doctor they send me home saying I'm fine. I DONT FEEL FINE! I know there is something going on with me! I know what normal feel like and this isn't it. I don't want it to be something minor that gets out of control because it was left untreated for so long! I want this to go away! If you have any ideas what this could be please post them! Or things I should consider asking my doctor about. I've seen 4 doctors and no one knows what's wrong.

Thank you!
Crystal H.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement