Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Canker Sores

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 11, 2006
  • 06:49 PM

Why the ***l do I keep getting the most painful canker sores in the inside of my mouth!!!! And is there any vitamins or anything like that to prevent them or make them go away faster! Every time i get a little cut in my mouth it turns into a canker sore! HELP

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Find out if you have acid reflux. I was getting canker sores constantly and as soon as I was put on Protonix for GERD they stopped. They can be caused by too much acid in the mouth. The only thing that helped me was having them removed with acid in my dentists office. Burns like ***l but they go away very quickly and will not come back in that spot. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 02:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • in the book of home trmedies a to z, i had this problem once in awhile and the book said to try using a q-tip swab and get some ear wax from your ear and hold it to your canker for a minute or so. yes this sounds weird! gross maybe?! no not at all! it actually burns a little which shows its working. in the next day it should be gone instead of two weeks! if this doesn't work for you see the doc asap! its works for me everytime. but then its a canker not plural. try it out!
    tinglefingers 1 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 09:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • At one time I had 32 in my mouth. after spendin many $$$ on things that didn't work, I discovered I had an allergy to asperin!. Canker sores are rare any more, but if I feel the tingle of one starting I do two things... 1. Rub Lidocain gel into the spot and 2. take an antacid (usually pepcid or maalox). Repeating this course for 1 day usually stops the canker in its tracks. Lidocain gel rubbed into a fever blister reduces considerably the swelling and pain and makes it go away in a hurry also. This has worked for me for 30 years.I find that most canker sores (except for injury and even then the above works) are caused by too much acidity in the stomach. Neutralize the acid and the sore goes away. It is so simple and most doctors and dentists don't have a clue.Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 10:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Two things that tend to work for me...1. Oral B makes a great mouth rinse... use it as directed twice a day (or, if you're only going to do it once a day, before bed) - and make sure you wait as long as possible before eating/drinking afterward.2. When I was on vacation in Europe and didn't have the option to buy the Oral B stuff (I was terrified of buying anything over there!), at meals I'd rub salt onto the cankersore (twice per meal). Did it hurt? Yes! But did it work? Yes :)Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2006
    • 01:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Take Lysine vitamins. Usually mouth sores are an indication that you a form of the Herpes virus, not the genital one, but the same virus that causes cold sores. Canker sores come out when your body has an inbalance of arginine to Lysine. I would try taking 500-1,000 mg of L-Lysine per day and more when you have the sores. You should see them heal quicker and not appear as often in the future. It is the only thing I've found that works.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2006
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I Get Canker Sores And Am A Nurse Everything Above Plus Putting Tetracycline On Them; Touching (actually Burning Them) With Silver Ntrate Sticks ;over The Counter Herpicin And Others Like That And/or All Of The Other Remidies Never Worked Recently I Started Putting Carmex Ointment On Them And Within 2 Days They Were Gone. I Thought It Was A Cooincidence Tried It Again And It Worked Again. Everyone Is Difference Maybe This Will Work For You.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2006
    • 07:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive got one right now! my first one as well......... I thought a kick in the privates was painful but i now know there's alot worse.Its made me miserable for the whole week. However i have the solution....ADCORTYL IN ORABASE- its a steroid based cream that sets kinda like cement over the sore protecting it. but before applying it crush a paracetamol in a little warm water and swish it around on the sore for a minute or so. then aplly the cream and wait for the little devil to heal.Its better than rubbing your own earwax in your mouth.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 00:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive got one right now! my first one as well......... I thought a kick in the privates was painful but i now know there's alot worse.Its made me miserable for the whole week. However i have the solution....ADCORTYL IN ORABASE- its a steroid based cream that sets kinda like cement over the sore protecting it. but before applying it crush a paracetamol in a little warm water and swish it around on the sore for a minute or so. then aplly the cream and wait for the little devil to heal.Its better than rubbing your own earwax in your mouth.i definately didnt try the earwax combo LMAO!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2006
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • get a toothpaste that does not contain sodium laurel sulphate (SLS). you won't get any more canker sores!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 01:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You asked if there are nutrients to prevent canker sores. B complex and Zinc will help prevent or shorten their lifespan. Make sure you are getting enough iron, folic acid and B12. Acidophilus tablets could help if you are sensitive to dairy/yogurt.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A friend told me to eat some yogert everyday. It kept my canker sores away. Now I eat yogert just a couple times a week. Been canker sore free. Good Luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 29, 2006
    • 01:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Ditto on the "Lysine". I had canker sores constantly as a child and into my adult years until I read about taking Lysine. You can find Lysine on any vitamin counter, even in the grocery store (cheap). I haven't had a full-blown canker sore in years. When I occasionally feel the slightest indication I might be getting one, I take 1000 mg a day for 2 or 3 days and it clears up. I don't even take them every day now as I did at first. I have many more problems with acidity as an adult than I did as a child/young adult, when the canker sore were constant, before I learned about Lysine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 03:22 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement