Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

1 Swollen Foot for 1 Year-Can't Find Out What's Wrong

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: bigfoot
  • November 10, 2006
  • 11:21 PM

Hi all,

Please let me know if any of you have experienced this. My Right foot has been swollen for nearly a year. Left foot is perfectly normal. I have gone to 5 drs: orthopedic, a chief orthopedist at a hospital in NYC, my regular physician, a vascular dr., and a rheumatologist. My dr. and the rheumatologist have done bloodwork--all negative. Vascular dr. has tested for DVT (deep vein thrombosis ie: a bloodclot)--Negative. Orthopedists have done x-rays, MRI, and a 3-phase bone scan with injected radioactive dye--all negative. So, orthopedist says it's not a mechanical (torn muscles/tendons) or bone prob. with the foot. And I've tried anti-inflammitories, and done physical therapy for a few months with ultrasound, electric stimulation, ice/heat, massage, and strengthening exercises. The only things that have worked temporarily are: elevation overnight (but then next day foot swells up again), and massage to push fluid out (but again, foot swells up again). There is no pain to speak of, except if I push on the top of my foot just below the 2nd & 3rd toes or if I push deeply near the ankle there is tenderness. Other than that, I never notice it until I look at it, or I feel the fluid in the foot, or can't fit into a shoe. I'm worried that it may signify something else though, and I'd really love to have my normal foot back!

I'm going to try to get an appt. at a major teaching hospital, but all my drs. are at a loss for what to tell me. And the frustration of not knowing is getting old.

Please help if you have any ideas!
Thanks,
Bigfoot

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement