Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

Diarrhea after eating

Posted In: Digestive conditions 85 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 10, 2006
  • 09:33 PM

With in the last few months I have noticed that I tend to have diarrhea after eating. THe onset is rather swift and I do not have any other symptoms and feel generaly in good health. This condition is also in varying degrees. sometimes my stool is just loose and sometimes it is just water. Help

Reply Flag this Discussion

85 Replies:

• Your body doesn't like something you're eating most likely, and its probably something common :)Talk to an allergenist and order an allergy serum blood panel. If that is the problem causing your symptoms, your symptoms will get worse as time goes on. Any period of extreme stress can cause this existing condition to manifest in new ways.
    Azaral 152 Replies
    • November 10, 2006
    • 10:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Are your pants too tight? I will get diarrhea after eating, esp. if I overeat, almost every time I eat if my pants are too tight. (My father had the same problem.)Be sure your clothes are not too tight. And, don't overeat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 10:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have diarrhea after eating too, since I had my gall bladder removed. If you haven't had yours removed, you might want to get it checked to see if it is functioning properly. The gallbladder controls the amount of bile excreted into your intestine after you eat. If you have a high fat diet, you will need the bile to digest it. Fat requires a lot of bile to break it up. If you do not get the correct amount, you will get diarrhea. Since I have no gall bladder, I have to be sure I have access to a restroom whenever I eat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • get tested for celiac sprue
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 04:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just has my gall bladder removed last Sept. And was still having the diarrhea after eatting. So they put me on a powder to drink to help do what the gall bladder did, breaking down the bile. I have just started it and have to do it for 4 weeks. I am not sure it will work...worth a try. It is so awful to get stuck someplace and HAVE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, what is the name of the powder you are trying?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was getting diarrea after eating and would go frequently. I would have loose stools and a whole lot of gas. I would constantly be running to the bathroom and was quite embarrassed. It was extremely aggrevating and everytime I went to the bathroom, it was as if it were always an emergency and I could not get there quick enough. I knew this was not normal. I also became extremely anemic and my iron count and magnesium count was very low. I actually passed out in a store at one point because I was so weak after running into the store to use their bathroom. Needless to say, I finally ended up at the hospital and eventually had to have an edoscopy and colonoscopy. The only thing is that I was warned about Celiac's disease long before my appointment for these tests. I ended up completing the tests 4 months after I was having such severe issues due to my personal schedule and the schedule of the GI Department. In the meantime, I had been dieting for approximately 3 months prior to the tests. I removed any gluten from my diet. (Which is what must be removed from your diet if you are suffering from Celiac's disease.) At any rate, because I had removed gluten from my diet for 3 months prior to the tests for Celiac's disease, I was in the borderline range for Celiac's disease. My result was too high for Celiac's disease to be negative and not high enough to be a confirmed positive. However, as long as I stay clear of gluten I feel perfectly fine and do not experienc anemia or any adverse symptoms. When I have cheated and eat gluten, shortly thereafter, it all starts again.So, while I am not a confirmed Celiac's disease person, the gluten-free diet totally works. It did not work overnight, though. It took about a full month to see the results.Good Luck!
  • im having really watery diarrhoea and its only just came on my mothers says it gastroenteritis but im not sure what do you think?
  • This is an OLD post, but I have the same problems at times. It usually occurs after eating a very heavy greasy meal and drinking to much liquid and my pants being to tight. Within 30 minutes after eating, I start having waves of cramps and needing to use the toilet because of diarrhea. I usually have to go at least 4 times until everything is released, then I feel great. I do not eat or drink anything for at least 4-6 hrs, then I eat normal. I am very curious to what the problem might be also. My normal diet does not consist of greasy foods. I can drink plenty of fluids when I want to and my diet intake has decreased (my option) in that I do not eat until stuffed and keep my meals small. I haven't tried eating a very small greasy meal to see what would happen.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2007
    • 09:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem and for me it seems to be related to salt, spice or caffeine intake. If I massively overdo any of those 3 things, I get the cramping and watery stool 30 minutes later.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2007
    • 03:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have this problem. For me, a major trigger seems to be garlic, of all things!Keep a food journal. It helps to narrow down what foods seem to trigger the bloating/cramping/gas/diarrhea.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2007
    • 03:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I recently got diagnosed with helicobactor pylori bacteria which is a bacteria in the stomach. I was treated for the h-pylori which seemed to help. I had major loose stools while i had the bacteria. It doesn't hurt to talk to your doctor about have a gastroscopy it helped me alot. The only reason i was even diagnosed was cause i had gall bladder issues and they were just getting the basics. Some times you have to diagnosed yourself that's what i had to do and thank god i did or else i would still be suffering.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 04:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi- Had this for 40 years- no joke. Then I discovered that milk (and all dairy) and peanuts give me diarrheawithin minutes. Then I stopped eating these foods and expected to gain weight. Didn't. Now, 20 years later I took acidophilus and grapefruitseed extract to stop candida and my gut is happy. I've gained weight up to a normal level and no diarreah. My daughter did the same for candida and lost weight to normal. Wow! Suggest you find out if you have allergies or sensitivities to foods- start with the common ones. And then take acidophilus(the refrigerated kind with bifidus- I took Primadophilus) for 3 months to see if you feel better. Wish I figured this out years ago. Isn't the internet a miracle?
    rockymtns 3 Replies
    • November 3, 2007
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 17 year old male and i have this diarrhea issue after eating anything. Drinking coffee gives me it, eating pastries, different school lunches, and then my mother's dinner at home. It is all the same outcome, and it is very bothersome in the middle of class when I must rush to the restroom. I am confused to what it is, it has been happening for 4 days in a row now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 08:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter had her gallbladder removed when she was 11, due to chronic diarrhea & severe gallbladder attacks. She tried special diets for over a year to try and prevent the surgery, the gallbladder attacks just kept getting worse. It has been almost 4 years since the surgery...she still has chronic diarrhea every time she eats or drinks anything. The doctor has run several tests & tried several medications...no relief. Has anyone found anything to help with the symptoms after gallbladder surgery?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 29, 2007
    • 05:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • HI,I have been looking for a solution to this problem for months - no luck yet (reluctant to see a Dr.): Severe abdominal pain and diarrhea 30 minutes after eating a meal. At first, I thought it was the food but, it happens with a hamberger or with a pizza. Then I thought it was caused by drinking liquid with the meal and so, I quit drinking liquid with meals and have seen some relief...until today:I had for lunch, 1/2 cup of chopped iceberg lettice with a can of tuna (packed in water) with a little ranch dressing - no drink. 30 minutes later, the most agonizing stomach pain, to the point of sweating and near passing out, relieved by 20 minutes in the bathroom...which began as solid waste and finished as liquid.Does anyone know the cause of this????I am of normal weight for my age (50), healthy, to my knowledge, and eat very little: a bowl of Cherrios for breakfast, a small lunch and no dinner (maybe some snack like popcorn or chips if I get hungry). I drink only no-fat milk and only in my cereal and coffee, about 4 cups/day (decaf). I eat almost no fruit and few veggies. I look great and feel great (except for the occasional cramping after meals).Small portions never cause this tropuble, only when I eat a 'regular' sit-down-sized meal. What would the size of the meal have to do with anything?What's the deal??Help!
  • Solution:I had this problem for a few years, it started with one restaurant but gradually became almost all of them and even some home-cooked meals.About a month ago I finished a colon cleansing process. I haven't had symptoms since! I can eat at any restaurant I choose and don't have to worry about running to the bathroom 20 minutes after I eat!I would HIGHLY recommend trying any colon cleans you can get at a grocery store. There are some more pricey ones online, but I don't think you'll need it. There is probably just some bacteria in our systems that needs to be flushed out.I hope this works for everyone else as it has worked for me!
    Cured22 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptomes after eating too much, the only thing that works for me is eat less or when I know it's too late, I drink a glass of white wine or a shot of liquor, and it passes (most of the time). I don't know why this happens but I woul like too find out since it seems to be getting worse.
    etnalp 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello first time poster here but I have been having loose watery stools for 7 months now. I did activia and it went away for a few weeks then it came back and nothing I have tried has worked since. I retried the activia, the IBS pills lactaid tablets adding a benificial fiber (vegetable) I believe and nothing has worked. I have no health care ins. so I can not afford a doctor. Every time I eat (and my diet has never changed) this happens. Alot of times I have gas and or indigestion, bloating ,some discomfort and alot of gurgling in my stomach. I have even at times had a knot like a muscle knot in my stomach around the belly button area. Any advice? As I said I dont have any health care and cant afford it nor qualify for government assistance.
    April in Texas 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 39 and have had constant diarrhea for about 7 months. It happens after I eat and my diet hasnt changed. It came on and hasnt really stopped. I took pepto and then went to imodium but no change. I did the activia thing, increased vegtable fiber, taken lactaid before I eat and over the counter IBS pills. Nothing seems to work. It started to get better briefly when I started the activa the first time but came back in a week or less. I have no health insurance so I cant go to the doctor. Any ideas on what else I could try? I dont feel dehydrated and seem pretty healthy otherwise.
    April in Texas 6 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement