Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Right side chest pain

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 45 Replies
  • Posted By: SilkDragon
  • November 10, 2006
  • 09:58 AM

Yesterday, I suddenly got severe stabbing pain in the right side of my chest. It isn't in the breast, or muscle. I've been sneezing the last several days, but every since I got this pain I cannot complete a sneeze (not that I want to sneeze, but when my body automatically starts to sneeze the searing pain halts the sneeze immediately).

The pain is worse if I bend over. I also discovered (accidentally) that there is a spot under my right arm, closer to my chest than to my back that increases the pain when I press on it.

I don't have any pain in the left side, sternum, or abdomen. I am not having any problems with breathing. Other than the sneezing, I am not having any respiratory problems. I do have some back pain that I cannot tell if it is related.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by? I'm not concerned that it is anything serious, but would like to know what it is.

Thanks,
SilkDragon

Reply Flag this Discussion

45 Replies:

• I would call your doctor's nurse or visit an urgent care center. Heart issues can cause pain anywhere in the chest, arms, back, neck or jaw. Even if it's not a heart issue, you need to find out what it is. But, it could be an emergency situation. You can have a heart attack and live through it and not realize that's what you're having. Hopefully, it's something less, but you need to find out ASAP. You might even want to go to the emergency room. And, take an aspirin in the meantime. Calling 911 wouldn't hurt.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2006
    • 09:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Women often have different symptoms of heart problems than men do. The symptoms are often in different places, sometimes subtle, etc. Don't assume that heart problems are only seen with a crushing pain to the left chest. In real life, it's often not at all like that. Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer does.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2006
    • 09:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I got a chest pain with similar symptoms. I went to the MD they took x ray, I was fine. They did that test to see if the pain was coming out of the heart and everything was fine. They gave me Vicodine, but it was like taking tic tacs, nothing happened, I haven't got any better or worse. I still don't know what I have. now.. It hurts when I cough, when I sneeze it has the same symptom as the other person who posted in this page, now, when i cough raising up my arms it doesnt hurt, Or it hurts way less when I press my chest and I laugh. I'm 29 years old and I've never experienced anything like this before. Also when I lay down it hurts, I've been sleeping for the past month sitting on the couch. Health care here in Chicago didn't do anything for me other than giving me a large bill that I have to pay and no answer. anybody can help me out???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2007
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • try looking up costochondritis
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2007
    • 04:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms. I had a flu with a lot of coughing for a couple of weeks and I think this caused inflammation of the joints in the chest i.e. costochronditis.Maybe I should see a chiropractor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2007
    • 02:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • about 30 minutes ago i started to feel this pain in the right side of my chest just behind my breast. It doesn't feel any different when i breath or cough. Nor does the feeling better or worsen when i lay down or lift my arms. Its like an aching. Im thinking stress (since the pats just lost the superbowl) or tight muscles? its the weirdest feeling and im kinda freaking out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2008
    • 06:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I got a chest pain with similar symptoms. I went to the MD they took x ray, I was fine. They did that test to see if the pain was coming out of the heart and everything was fine. They gave me Vicodine, but it was like taking tic tacs, nothing happened, I haven't got any better or worse. I still don't know what I have. now.. It hurts when I cough, when I sneeze it has the same symptom as the other person who posted in this page, now, when i cough raising up my arms it doesnt hurt, Or it hurts way less when I press my chest and I laugh. I'm 29 years old and I've never experienced anything like this before. Also when I lay down it hurts, I've been sleeping for the past month sitting on the couch. Health care here in Chicago didn't do anything for me other than giving me a large bill that I have to pay and no answer. anybody can help me out???Check out symptoms of Pleurisy-- I am having the same issue. I am going to the Dr. on Thursday and I think I may have this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi I am a 21 year old female and also am worried about chest pains I am having. I keep getting a sharp stabbing pain in the right side of my chest directly below my breast for no apparent reason. The area isn't inflamed and the muscles around the area aren't sore. The pains started about 6 hours ago and have been intermittent ever since. Nothing I do or don't do seems to either cause them or make them go away. They occur about every 5-10 minutes or so, but don't seem to either be decreasing or increasing in intensity. The pain is sharp at first, but then fades over the next few seconds (takes about 10 seconds to fade). My family does have a history of heart problems on my mother's side, but since it's my right side I don't think it's my heart. I have had similar chest pains in the past, but they have never reoccurred or lasted as long as these are. I should say that the pain started without a catalyst; one minute I was fine, the next I was clutching my chest and gasping. Should I be worried? I would like to know what could be causing this. Thank you.
    Neimade 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have pain in the right side of my chest since Sept.1. At first I could barely catch my breathe. I was told I had pleurisy and put on prednisone and hydrocodone. I was no better after that treatment of three weeks. Went back to dr and this time said it was costochronditis. I am now on ibuprofen 800mg three times a day. I am still having pain and very uncomfortable doing daily tasks and activities. Also have scoliosis and AS, a type of arthritis of the spine. I am going back to see the dr. tomorrow and hope something can be done to help the pain
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2008
    • 01:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ive had this symptom for the past 24hrs, i went to see my doctor in an emergency because i couldnt stand the pain. i havent yet taken my x-rays but after some exams the doc said it might be costochondritis. i was put on ibuprofen 600mg and buspirone 10mg, ive taken the pills and the pain just came down but it still hurts when i take a deep breath or bend over. Anybody know the cause of "costochondritis"?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 25, 2008
    • 01:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Haha. I was just going to mention the fact that it could be costochondritis. Costochondritis is inflammation between the rib cage and the sternum. It can be caused from many reasons. It can often be treated with ibuprofen as needed. Costochondritis is a pain that when you press on the rib, it hurts badly, as the poster stated. Not saying that you actually do have Costochondritis and it is always best to have it evaluated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2008
    • 01:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I had chest pains on right side. Went to cardiologist. Had, xray, stress test, ekg, bloodk work up and CAT scan. Finally was diagnosed with small amount of inflammation in my lungs from the CAT scan from a lingering case of bronchitis and given a steroid inhalor. Problem was. For a little while the pains stopped then they started up again. I'm talking about a sewing maching stitching on my chest. It had nothing to do with eating, moving breathing etc. Anyway. About two weeks after I started the inhalor, they came back full force. I was discouraged. Hate doctors. Don't trust them. The inhalor side effects had given me yeast--my underarms were itching. Plus, I'd had a colonoscopy in October--the chest pains started in December. A lot of people think a little yogurt works for yeast--If you have systemic Candida Albicans, it does not. I went on the web for symptoms of Candida and chest pains is on there. I went to the health food store and got Jarrow dophilous with like a billion kinds of healthy bacteria and some germanium. Withing six hours the chest pains had stopped and I haven't had one since. I had been having them for two solid months. As many as 20 attacks a day and severe enough to get dressed to go to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack. I understand, that women's symptom's are different. But when you've ruled everything out and nothing works. Try some heavy duty acidophilous. You may just have systemic yeast which comes from steroid inhalors if you have asthma, or antibiotics, or a colonnic or colonoscopy. And I guess the yeast can even settle in your lungs or chest. Doctors don't seem to believe very strongly in Candida Albicans but the proof is that I have no pain after all the tests and the stupid inhalor and the d1octor wants me to come back for another CAT scan in three months. NOT
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2009
    • 04:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yesterday, I suddenly got severe stabbing pain in the right side of my chest. It isn't in the breast, or muscle. I've been sneezing the last several days, but every since I got this pain I cannot complete a sneeze (not that I want to sneeze, but when my body automatically starts to sneeze the searing pain halts the sneeze immediately).The pain is worse if I bend over. I also discovered (accidentally) that there is a spot under my right arm, closer to my chest than to my back that increases the pain when I press on it.I don't have any pain in the left side, sternum, or abdomen. I am not having any problems with breathing. Other than the sneezing, I am not having any respiratory problems. I do have some back pain that I cannot tell if it is related.Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by? I'm not concerned that it is anything serious, but would like to know what it is.Thanks,SilkDragonI'm 16 years old, and I'm having the exact same problem, except I can't take a deep breath without the pain becoming ten times worse. The pain is in the upper right part of my chest, just above my breast. I can move my shoulder normally as if nothing is wrong. I have scoliosis in both my upper, and lower spine. The pain only happens if I try to take a deep breath, swallow, or bend over. Laying down doesn't help either. The pain occurs every 3-5 minutes and takes normally around 10 seconds to fade.This pain has only been around for about 15 hours now, and it doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. I don't wanna go the the emergency room if what is wrong isn't something really serious. Anyone have any ideas?Thank,Random_person
  • i have the exact same problem. I am 21 years old, and have been randomly having this sharp pain, just as everyone described. This sharp stabbing pain in the right side of my chest, and it gets worse every time I take a good breath. I try to sit straight and maybe work it out, dose not help. I have been having this problem for years... and never thought to look it up untill now. It just comes and goes randomly, but when i get it, it does not go away for a while. my boyfriend is convinced its from cigs and soda. but i hardly smoke cigs and drink soda, but i did today. the thing is, i have had this issue for a while. Maybe its something in the air? its definetly a lung problem. I went to the doctor before about it, and he just kinda shooed me away, saying i was fine. Im not fine. i hope somewhere there is an answer for this.
  • the thing happend to me 4 days ago, first i ignored it but when the pain got worse , i went to emergency, they immidiatly took my ECG, x rays and blood tests. after the tests doctor in ER told me that there is nothing to worry about heart. it might be muscle pain. he gave me shot for muscle relaxation and pills for muscle relax. next night, i started having pain again and worse then before. i spend very painfull night and then i went to my doctor in morning, he checked my reports and told me that ue heart is fine by the grace of god. but the thing he told me that ER told me wrong about muscle pain. actually its inflammation of the joints in the chest. he gave me steroid shot and gave me prescroption drugmethylpred 4mg for as a six day course. after the shot , i dont have any pain so far. let see what happened tomorow.
  • About 2 years ago I was going through a lot of stress and then eventually had sharp pains on my right chest. Now every time I get really stressed I get a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my chest.
  • i'm 15 years old and have been having chest pains on my right side and sometimes in the back of my rib cage, for about a year on and off. the sharp pain comes and goes and it gets hard to breath. sometimes pressing onit helps but sometimes my ribs feel bruised.does anyone know what it could be?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2009
    • 02:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Everyone,I've been having right side back/chest pain for the past 3 years (i am a 30 yr old female). It mostly hurts to breathe deeply, and when I bend, lay down and stand up from laying down, and when I walk.My doctors have variously theorized the problem as athsma, muscle pain, cardiovascular disease, and gall stones. However, I finally found out today that the pain is from a collapsed lung.Upper chest and back pain is worrisome, definitely go to your doctor when you are in pain, and get an x-ray done right away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2009
    • 11:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry I should correct the above post - every 3-6 months for the past 3 years. The pain will last anywhere from 3 days to one month.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2009
    • 04:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey guys, i'm a 17 year old girl. I've been getting this same random chest pain on my right side right below the breast. it almost feels as though it is a pulled muscle or bruised rib, but i haven't had a cough or anything like that and i have had no trauma to my chest what so ever. the weird thing is that the pain is not constant. i hurts really realllyyy badly for about half a day then goes away. the next day it is sore and then usually goes away for a week and then comes back. advil does not help at all. it has occured the most while i'm sleeping i'll roll over on my right side and wake up in excrushiating pain, and then it hurts to breath in completely and breath out completely. the Dr. suggested pleurisy but it doesn't feel like it's in my lung. i don't know what this could be. any thoughts?!?!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2009
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement