Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

sleeping while awake? stuck in sleep?

Posted In: Nerve conditions 48 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 9, 2006
  • 04:29 PM

for years as far back as i can remember I have had episodes of where I would go to sleep at night or during the day and i would be alert but I couldn't move or open my eyes. Other times I could open my eyes but I couldn't move. One time that it happened my I could feel tears rolling off of my cheeks like cold acid burn.
Another time I woke and I couldn't move, then I gained movement but I couldn't see my hands could feel my eyes were open but all was dark.
Eventually in all of these I regained everything but it is very scary and it makes me wonder one day will I go to sleep and not wake up. Is that what some comas are like-going to sleep and not waking?
Please if you experience this or have any knowledge of what it could be please advise.
Thank You.

Reply Flag this Discussion

48 Replies:

• for years as far back as i can remember I have had episodes of where I would go to sleep at night or during the day and i would be alert but I couldn't move or open my eyes. Other times I could open my eyes but I couldn't move. One time that it happened my I could feel tears rolling off of my cheeks like cold acid burn.Another time I woke and I couldn't move, then I gained movement but I couldn't see my hands could feel my eyes were open but all was dark. Eventually in all of these I regained everything but it is very scary and it makes me wonder one day will I go to sleep and not wake up. Is that what some comas are like-going to sleep and not waking?Please if you experience this or have any knowledge of what it could be please advise.Thank You.Also sometimes I find that I start dreamimg while I am awake and functioning in the day.Then I snap out of it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 05:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not a doctor, but am somewhat familiar with this...It sounds like it could possibly be cataplexy. Cataplexy is related to Narcolepsy. I know, Narcolepsy typically is thought of as falling asleep suddenly, but Cataplexy is not sleeping. It is usually brought on by a strong emotional response, such as excitement, anger, laughing, etc. A person actually is somewhat temporarily paralyzed, but conscious. They can usually see and hear, but cannot move. I experienced these types of situations when I was younger (I'm 35). My daughter is 16. Hers is much worse. I was raising my voice at her, lecturing her on something she did wrong, and she collapsed. It look like she fainted. Couldn't catch herself or anything-no control. I've seen her do it a couple of times. Once, when she had her blood drawn at the doctor's office, since she was so terrified of the needles (I also did this when I was younger). She says that she is still conscious when this happens, she can still hear (muffled) and see, but cannot move. She is very terrified when it happens. I spoke with a doctor friend of mine, and he told me she was narcoleptic. I had thought she was fainting when it happened the first time. I have also woke up and not been able to move. I have fallen asleep in the middle of the day and woke up not being able to move right away. I fall asleep easily during the day if I am relaxed for long enough. I have a hard time falling asleep when I go to bed. From what I have read, people with Narcolepsy have sleep disturbances like this....hard to go to sleep at night, dreaming when not completely asleep , dreaming immediately after falling asleep, even when only asleep for a minute or two. I have read that Narcoleptics do not have a normal REM (Rapid Eye Movement) stage of sleep. I often talk in my sleep, used to walk in my sleep when I was little. I have two cousins that I know of that have also experienced these types of issues. My experiences with this have significantly improved since I have been an adult. There is alot of info on the web about narcolepsy and cataplexy. I have read that Stanford is conducting a research study specifically on Cataplexy. It's too far away from me, or I would probably want me and my daughter to join the study group.Anyway, I hope my ramblings have helped you.Good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 07:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi: I suffer from narcolepsy and cataplexy. What you have described sounds like you may too. You will need to have a sleep study done to actually be disgnosed. Things to keep in mind and bring to your doctor's attention are: excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), vivid hallucinations (dreams), episodes of sleep paralysis and catalplexy (muscle weakness).This disorder can be overwhelming to say the least. Many sufferers are disabled and cannot work. I am one of the lucky ones. Sometimes the meds work, sometimes they don't.Many doctors are not that familiar with narcolepsy but please don't give up. Do all the research you possibily can and also keep a journal. This journal can be used to help the medical professionals in your diagnosis.I hope this helps and good luck to you.JT
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2006
    • 11:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,That sounds scary, especially since it's happened during the day. I've been wondering about my own experiences for a long time, but mine are mostly during the conscious threshold and apparently there are some weird things that occur to otherwise normal people (okay, define normal, haha). I found a wikipedia site, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia , that describes a LOT of things I have encountered, especially right around and after my bedtime, and early morning hours as I waken.Things I've experienced are: feeling "forced" into sleep, dreaming while awake, being aware that I cannot move but also being able to hear what's going on "outside" myself, crying or laughing in my sleep (sometimes I'm aware, sometimes not), what I once thought was levitation, lucid dreaming, sleepwalking, typing in my sleep (I used to fall asleep while typing and wake up to some strange ramblings), very deep sleep where I cannot be roused by people, phones, or knocks on doors... and when I was child I had a "nightmare" where a hand grabbed my ankle and pulled me off the bed toward the window. I can still remember the whole thing vividly and even "woke up" (for lack of a better word, actually, the thing vanished) on the floor grasping the bottom of the bed-post, one foot pointing toward the window. I've fallen asleep standing up, sitting down, showering, etc. and even now I have trouble making it to bed if I don't go early enough. I'll be sitting here at the computer past my "natural" bedtime (between 10 and midnight), suddenly feel tired, get up to go to bed, and wake up at 4am on my floor just inches from the door. I can recall thinking, "I'll just take a quick nap here" and laying down, but know I have no control over it once it occurs. I'm _very_ careful to drive home before my bedtime, and if I can't, I constantly search for pullover spots in case I feel that "force" coming over me. So far I haven't had to pull over but I know one day I probably will.The reason I doubt this is cataplexy or narcolepsy is that, while it's very sudden and overwhelming, and has occasionally meant paralysis, it normally only happens between 10pm and 7am.Cataplexy and Narcolepsy are things that can happen anytime and are obviously better diagnosed by a doctor.Still, I think all sleep weirdness is related and is graduated in degrees of severity, meaning some forms of the weirdness are more dangerous or incapacitating than others. The really problematic and patterned ones get the labels.When I was a kid I saw things shapes/images during the day and was tested for epilepsy even though I didn't have any seizures. The test ruled it out, leaving my mom and I with no answers. I was later diagnosed with CAPD which is an auditory processing disorder that few people know about or understand. I consider mine a mild case since learning how bad it can really be, especially for people who don't find ways to compensate for it. I liken it to an audio version of dyslexia because the problem is neurological - the brain translates the signals incorrectly. (My actual hearing is above average, for all the good it does me at times.) I've often wondered if whatever causes hypnagogia could be related to capd. Both are neurological, anyway.Anywho, sorry for the ramble. I hope you find answers to your questions. The levitation and waking nightmare bits scared me for years until I found a label to affix to them. I'm just glad they don't disrupt my life other than forcing a normal sleeping pattern on me at night.~nvnohi
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2006
    • 05:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 20 year old student. I seem to have some sort of the condition described in this thread. My first experience was 6 years ago. I was laying down to go to sleep. A wave of buzzing goes through my head. Then it feels like adrenaline shoots through my body and I can't move. While paralyzed, I am completely conscious. Eventually I snap out of this lock and everything is fine. Sometimes this will happen a few times in a row where I snap out then go back into it. It doesn't happen every night but a few times a month. This usually happens while I am laying down for the night. Sometimes this occurs if I am taking a mid-day nap. A variety of things happen while I am paralyzed. Sometimes I feel like I am floating through dark space. Other times nothing happens or my eyes are cracked some and I can see and hear my walls and fan. The last instance was interesting though. It felt like someone wrapped a rope around my neck and I seemed to do barrel rolls on the bed. I hope somebody can tell me what I'm going through or if they too feel like adrenaline shoots through their body. Please advise. Thanks.
    trox5361 1 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I used to do a fair bit of meditation where one would put oneself into various brain states so used to have similar experiences, one can do dreaming while fully awake and other things. As one whos been into metaphysical stuff for a long time.. i'll speak about the following as ive very familiar with the following and maybe it will calm someone. buzzing and paralyses may happen right before an out of body experience (for those who believe in such things.. ignore my post if you dont).. many people who are into "astral projection" purposely get themselves into such states. "Another time I woke and I couldn't move, then I gained movement but I couldn't see my hands could feel my eyes were open but all was dark. Eventually in all of these I regained everything but it is very scary and it makes me wonder one day will I go to sleep and not wake up. Is that what some comas are like-going to sleep and not waking?" Sleep paralyses is nothing to be concerned over and is fairly common. The best way Ive found to regain movement if you've awaken to find yourself paralysed, is to tell yourself to relax and just focus on a toe and on wiggling it.. after a very short time you should find yourself able to move it and then able to move. No need to panic. Things like this are the most common when just about to fall asleep.. or just on awakening.. when one is between sleep and awake states. In such a state you may see vivid images or hear things.. its all nothing to worry about and is quite normal in the hypnagogic state."A variety of things happen while I am paralyzed. Sometimes I feel like I am floating through dark space." quit worrying and do a search for "out of body projection" If you are doing things like suddenly falling asleep at odd times thou.. you should see a doctor for something like that.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 03:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 18 years old and I have had the same problem like about to fall asleep but 2 swconds later im completely paralysed It first started when I was like thirteen but when I tried to fall asleep I felt like I was falling and I would just wake up. Couple of years later I would to start to get paralysed not being able to see completely dark, But this one time and my last scared me the most is when I was trying to sleep I was paralysed but I could see everything in my room and I couldnt move at all but how my head was turned I could see up into ceiling toward a corner and their was like a figure in a black drape in a way it like the supposse grim reaper but I couldnt see the face it wasnt my curtains or anything finally when I was unparalysed the figure was gone I really didnt think much of maybe my mind was playing games on me but, I was defintely awake and it wasnt a dream
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 10:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • When I was 3 I would wake up every night around the same time and run into my parents room and say that a prescene was hovering over my bed, I would sometimes have dreams where I would run from it through my house. Sometimes I think that I was haunted because I strongly believe in ghosts. But I have had very strange sleep patterns, I have lucid dreams often and though from what I've read they're supposed to help to overcome nightmares but some of mine have been extremely scary. Sometimes I can control the dream state and other times I have no control but I am aware that I am dreaming. I had a dream last year where I would wake up, look at myself in the mirror, and run with the covers over my head and turn on the light really quick completely terrified. This happened over and over agian until I actually did it. Another time I was walking through a cemmetery and I woke up paralyzed with what I believed to be half a deck of cards in my hand that I swore I had just thumbed through but I couldn't move and when I could finally move I searched my entire bed for those cards that obviously were not there. Another time I saw a girl sitting in my dressing room looking into the mirror and she looked at me and I heard the most horrifying noise I've ever heard and woke up in terror. I used to dream about being in the cemmetery a lot, one time climbing up a hills stacked with mirrors. All of my dreams are extremely vivid, I remember one or several every morning. I go in and out of spells of insomnia. This morning I had a vivid dream where I was on the phone with my friend telling her I was having a vivid dream (I was not actually on the phone) the dream faded in and out from my house to a bar and then suddenly someone was knocking on my front door, and I screamed in a voice that was not my own "Just ******g come in" and (God it scares me to even remember it, because I feel like it's going to happen) this girl without a face, topless, with no nipples came running at me through my house and I heard this sound that sounded like as if you put a blanket out of the window of a car that was moving very fast. I opened my eyes really quick and it appeared as though my blanket was flapping but it wasn't. Oh and the dream before that blood filled up in my left eye.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 00:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Gael,I was really excited to read your story. I have had the exact same thing happen to me. It occured about 4 summers ago. I had laid down when my kids went swimming. My husband was upstairs I was downstairs. I fell asleep right away. Some time later I heard the phone ring and heard my husband talking to the kids and heard him leave. When they came through the door I could hear everything perfectly, I knew I was awake, my eyes were open but I could not move my body. I tried so hard but I could not move. I closed my eyes for a few seconds,reopened them and then I could get up. I had another episode that same summer. I have not had one since but it is very scary. Were you a sleepwalker at any time in your life. I was as a child and I wonder if it has something to do with this. Or maybe stress.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 04:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • so basically this happend yesterday to mewhen i closed my eyes i would see anything i thought of or i would be in a place that i didnt want to be in and i kept on hearing a deeper voice then mine by my computer talking to me like an evil twin or something i dont know what it was saying but i was so terrified =[so i colsed my eyes for a little bit and then i was in dreams that i didnt want to be in and this happend to me so many times before basically the samething happends and then i thought my brother was right next me talking on the phone to his girlfrined but i couldnt see him so i started breathing hard so he can hear me because this happend to one his brothers before so i know he would know what to do "he would just shake me untill i snapped out of it or something" :Dand yes i was paralyzed so i closed my eyes again and saw i this little boy and i was following him toards the shadows and of course i knew it was somthing bad so i opend my eyes again and saw my little stuffed animal on me and i thought it was a ghost and i felt every nerve in my body shaking from the fear it got to a point where i thought i was gonna be paralyized forever :*(and then i heard someone talking threw a big speaker thing outside of my window saying i know every move you make and every choice you make and then i heard it right in my ear like someone screaming in it =0so when i finally broke free i went to go get some water and my mom asked me if was ok and i told her what happend and she said that she was just having a nightmare about me and my sister =0 and she told me it used to happend to her and my grandma told her that in mexico they say that its a demond on top of you and it doesnt want you to wake up because it wants you dead like seriously and i when i look at some of your stories i undersatnd what my mom told me a little bit better like a few of you said that you could breath or speak and you were affraid of something for no reason yep a sounds like a demond trying to kill you to me but thats my opion >_and this happends a few times a year to me like last year a saw a cross on fire and a bunch of other evil stuff when you wake up paraylized im pretty sure your not making write choices in life you know what i mean -_- so my advice is watch what you do and pray alot and never fall a sleep because you might never wake up fer sure
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 01:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This happens to me every once in a while too! It scares me to death and people that I have described the symptoms to say that they've experienced it and think it's an evil spirit or something bizarre. I tend to think it has more to do with my body going to sleep before my conscious mind does and want some answers. Don't know how to talk about it though without sounding odd.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 08:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i get the same exact thing the buzzing noise i feel like im paralyzed and i get the rush also it feels like if i dont get out of it im gonna die because i get out of breath i struggle so hard to get out of it and upon hearing the buzzing noise i can still hear my tv which amazes me i would love to find out more about this and if there are any side effects
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sleep paralysis is something I had, but it ended when I stopped eating large amounts of sliced turkey.Wake up, but unable to move, sometimes imagining that aliens, ghost, demons, are whatever, are abusing you, or that you are having an out of body experience.
    Wolf Dreamer 20 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also experience this "being stuck in sleep." Last night, I was having a dream and right before I woke up, I was in some kind of furnished room (like a living room) and I was on my way to grab some keys. In the dream, I remembered about some paranormal activity in that room. However, I was never there before in a dream or in the physical world. When I thought about the paranormal activity, I decided to ignore it in the dream and continued to look for my keys. Suddenly, I felt as if I was being choked with wrapping plastic. There was nothing or no one around me, yet I knew it was paranormal. I even knew what it (what ever it was) was thinking. It was thinking that I mocked it by disregarding my intuition and it decided to kill me. It was also thinking "now I have you" as if this wasn't the first attempt. This has happened to me several times and I could remember as far back as 8 years old. I'm 28 now. Every time this happens, it feels like if I don't snap out of it, I will die and it’s always a nightmare. When I wake up, I can't move and it tries to draw me back into a state of sleep. To snap out, I try to wiggle my fingers. Many times that doesn’t work. I realized that if I get my wife’s attention, and she moves me, I snap out of it. I get her attention by making noise.Last night, I did get her attention and she woke me up. She asked me about it and I explained to her what it was that I was going trough, but I didn’t open my eyes. Then I opened my eyes and realized that it was still night. While I was explaining to her what happened, I thought I was still in that room and it was day time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2007
    • 05:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Finally I find I am not alone. I have been dealing with this for 30 years. I usually get paralyzed when I an sleeping on my stomach and nearly choke to death before I walk up. It's terrifying. I beg my girlfriend to wake me up whenever I am making noise while dreaming. I usually am fully aware that I am sleping and cant move. It's scary. I try and move my fingers and once i can move one small thing, everything else "lets go". Some people believe its sprits if people past. I really don't care, as long as they stop trying to kill me in my sleep!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also feel the same things. the adrelian shot but still different. I was at my sister house in hattiesburg and I was staying over sleeping in another room. I was in and out and sudden felt the presents of someone in the room. Their was a light outside that shined in and a sway a refelections of someone. I thought it was my sister. I heard a ringing noise in the distance and it started to get closer until it was at my ear then came a sucking noise and I was paralized and could not open my eyes or move. The next time it happen it was the same thing but I got fead up of not being able to move so I said when it happens again I will try to fight it will all I had. It happen again and I fault it and was able to get up and move but was so weak. The next night It happen again but this time I was in my moms house. I felt the adrelian again and then felt as tho someone was in the room and the bed felt like it was poiking me and I started to run chills. I fought it and was able to jump up immediatly and I let out a scream and said ''what'' I then saw a shadow go down. I was freaked out. After that happen I kept doing it ever so often and I would fight it and get out of the hold. about a month ago I went to Iowa to help out with the flood thier in cedar rapids. My company put us up in a hotel in grinelle IA and I was sleeping with the light on (if their is a light it does not happen). but it was only a little lamp becasue I had my laptop speakers and charger takein all the plugs in the hotel. It happen again and I was able to open my eyes and I saw a figure of a man coming at me with his arms out. I have never seen this person but still was fuzzy but I could tell it was a man. After that I came back and then it happen like 2weeks ago and this time I was sleeping. I was able again to open my eyes and I saw a figure in a black cape. This time it was right by me and looked at me. This will never happen if I have the lights on or if someone is in the room. I know that its not in my head becase i was still scard and was in my sister place in jackson ms. and I had her dog in their with me sleeping. I started to hear the samo thing and I was tired of hearing with it. My dog immediatly shot up and ran wimper like something was wrong and I had the same feeling not able to open my eyes or move and the ringing getting closer to my ear and then the sucking noise. This started in 2002 and its 2008 and I am still dealing with this. I do not know what is going on or if this will go away but I am looking for a connection if someone is expiericeing this please respond and help me. you can eamil me at kanaiyalal_01 @ yahoo. com. or crazy11514 @ msn. com hope some one is out their with this problem and not just me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2008
    • 05:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Every time before i fall asleep, right when i am getting into the stage where you drift into another world of dreams, U get an intense pulling feeling. similar to my body being weighed down by something really heavy...i alway panic and start breathing really hard in the state i am slipping into, to try and get my boyfriend to know something is wrong, and try and wake me up. I will be breathing really quiet in real life. I will start yelling as loud as i can in the dreamLIKE state just to get my real self to gasp or squeak something. it gets really frustrating and scary because i will try as hard as i can to move while i can see everyting happening, but i cant move ever unless its a convulsion type movement. i will fall asleep in class when i am so tired that i cant stay awake. i have my eyes wide open and it feels like my mind is shutting down anyway and ill see the words start vibrating on the paper and i have to try and snap myself out of it before i get pulled in and cant move but even then its so hard to do. its one of the hardest and most complicated things ive had to practice at. Even when my boyfriend is shaking me to snap me out of it, i won't be able to wake up even though my eyes are open and i can see him. It takes such effort to do it and i really wish i knew what it was called so i could find out what is causing it.i don't like not being able to move my own body at these times....i feel almost paralyzed when its happening.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2008
    • 07:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don t want to scare you my friends.It is most likely that you are being attacked by evil spirits.No need to alarm yourself just search for help at the right place and you will be pulled out from it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2008
    • 06:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Happened to me last nightslept at around 4am and woke up in like 45min. I sow a dark person laying on my bed staring at me, all i could see is his Dark black scary face, note that the room wasn't really dark because i keep a small spotlight open. I was trying to move but i could, I felt my body is dragging me to return to sleep. Also i was hearing some weird sounds, i think it was like a ritual or something.This paralyzation really scares me, this is not my first time because before i would feel like someone is sitting on my stomach/chest holding my neck and trying to kill me.btw im 19 years old.I have a feeling that i would die in my bed one night.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2008
    • 00:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • reading these post, i burst out crying, i thought i was the only one going through this. i'm ali and i'm 16 years old but, it happens every morning between 10 and 11, and when light is shining through my curtain. right before the "dream" i hear fuzzy crinkling, almost like plastic bags wrinkling or some sort or humming. in the "dream" i wake up in my bed as usual, but i'm sleeping. i go in complete shock and am completely paralyzed. my vision is fuzzy, i can barely see anything. i try screaming for help but my voice is gone. i feel as though something is tortureing me and looking over me. the first time it happend i could barely make out a figure all black walk by me and stand over me as i struggled to get out. it takes awhile to get out of this state i feel as though i'm going to die. i try to move my fingers and toes to make any movement to wake me up. i sometimes go in and out of this state and everytime i go back in i hear the crinkling or humming noise. one of the times in my "dream" i was dragged out of my bed and onto my floor. i'm so scared, i hate going to sleep because i know it will happen again, if anyone can help me please. i really feel like one of these times i'm not going to wake up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2008
    • 05:31 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement