Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Eye pain whilst looking at PC monitor or TV

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: k_taz2000
  • February 16, 2009
  • 05:09 PM

Back in July last year my husband was writing his wedding speech on the PC when he got a sudden burning sensation in his right eye. The eye became very red and he went to the optician then onto the hospital. He was told that he had Uveitis which he was given antibiotics for which cleared up while we were on our honeymoon. Around the beginning of August he started getting the same pain again in his right eye when at work on the PC. He also found that he was getting the same pain while watching TV. His eye also becomes very tender to the touch and he has had some pain down the right hand side of his face. Since August we have seen 2 different opmathologists and a neurologist and so far no-one has been able to tell us what is wrong or find a cure. Today we have been to see a third opmathlogist who was much more helpful. He has told us that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with his eyes and that the pain he is getting is not because of his eyes. He seems to think that it could be Trigeminal Neuralgia but he has never heard of this being set off by watching TV or looking at a PC monitor.

Has anyone else ever experienced pain when looking at a TV screen or PC monitor? This has become very serious now as he has not been able to work since November last year because of it. All help greatly appreciated.

We also need to try and find a Neurologist who has an interest in facial pain in the Essex/London area, again any advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi there, I suffer from TN, and think that there is more of a chance that your husband is suffering from Cluster Headaches which could be triggered this way, it has many triggers. Cluster headaches for some reason seem to hit men more than women. Cluster headaches or vascular headaches, the intense pain is caused by the dialation of blood vessels which then puts pressure on the Trigeminal nerve. Trigeminal neurlgia in itself is very difficult to treat. Cluster headaches can be treated with Sumatriptin Injections or tablet form. This is also a very painful condition, if cluster headaches are the cause it is a bit easier to get treatment. Ask you Doctor to reccomend a good Neurologist in the area that you want as you will need a referral from him anyway. A Pain Consultant though would deal with this, in fact he will be of more use to you. I have a fantastic one in Northern Ireland, he goes the extra mile for his patients. But as it is maybe your Doctor would give him a script for Sumatriptin either tab or injection, the injection is easy to use its just like a pen release that you use on your leg, its expensive so u might have to persuade your Doctor to let him try it, it will only cost you thought the normal script fee. Best wishes & i hope this helps :)
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 16, 2009
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was a virtual teacher, online all day. I could not handle it and would get red/painful eyes. I found the Kantek glare/radiation screen ,which claims to block 99% of harmful emissions. I could then work without my eyes turning red from the constant glare. They have a variety of sizes.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 05:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Thank you for the replies, I will certainly let my husband know and see if anything works! Thanks
    k_taz2000 3 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 00:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Back in July last year my husband was writing his wedding speech on the PC when he got a sudden burning sensation in his right eye. The eye became very red and he went to the optician then onto the hospital. He was told that he had Uveitis which he was given antibiotics for which cleared up while we were on our honeymoon. Around the beginning of August he started getting the same pain again in his right eye when at work on the PC. He also found that he was getting the same pain while watching TV. His eye also becomes very tender to the touch and he has had some pain down the right hand side of his face. Since August we have seen 2 different opmathologists and a neurologist and so far no-one has been able to tell us what is wrong or find a cure. Today we have been to see a third opmathlogist who was much more helpful. He has told us that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with his eyes and that the pain he is getting is not because of his eyes. He seems to think that it could be Trigeminal Neuralgia but he has never heard of this being set off by watching TV or looking at a PC monitor. Has anyone else ever experienced pain when looking at a TV screen or PC monitor? This has become very serious now as he has not been able to work since November last year because of it. All help greatly appreciated. We also need to try and find a Neurologist who has an interest in facial pain in the Essex/London area, again any advice is appreciated. Many thanksHi. I personally have exactly the same problem. It started with the sharp pain in the right eye and etc. etc. Everything exactly as you described. I don't have any problems with my vision. I can read books for hours, any font size, without pain or redness in my eyes but I can't look at the TV or PS screen without pain. In the beginning I felt pain even in the movie theaters also but not recently. Have you guys finally figured it out? Have got some help? Thank you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2009
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I personally have exactly the same problem. It started with the sharp pain in the right eye and etc. etc. Everything exactly as you described. I don't have any problems with my vision. I can read books for hours, any font size, without pain or redness in my eyes but I can't look at the TV or PS screen without pain. In the beginning I felt pain even in the movie theaters also but not recently. Have you guys finally figured it out? Have got some help? Thank you.HiDid ever manage to get to the bottom of this? My husband found a workaround for looking at the TV and computer but that is no longer working and now he cant even read without getting pain. Anything that you found out would be helpful!ThanksKaren
    k_taz2000 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was wondering if any of you guys ever figured out what was wrong. I am a 31 year old women, who in october of 2011 started having a bad headache one day and has progressed daily head pain and eye pain. It especially hurts minutes after I try to watch tv. Same thing happens in the sun. I don't know how it happened but I did have flu like symptoms at the beginning. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    madmaderos 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement