Discussions By Condition: Neck conditions

discomfort in throat and neck area

Posted In: Neck conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: debs34
  • November 8, 2006
  • 01:25 PM

hi im new to all this. I feel like a bit of a hypochondriac. Ive been going to the doctors over the past year about various problems that ive been having. It started with abdominal discomfort and the doctor said i had a palpable liver, i went for blood tests which came back clear. I visited the doctor again with upper left abdominal discomfort and again was sent for test and a abdominal scan which all came back clear. My lates thing is my throat in the last year ive had tonsillitus, sinisitus, larynx gitus, and any other itus going. I have an unusual feeling in my throat around my wind pipe and it radiates up to my ear its a scratchy feeling and my voice goes from time to time when im speaking so i have to clear my throat. it feels gristly to touch but there is no definate lump. Im afraid to go back to the doctors again almost like im convincing myself i have something more serious.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Do you have allergies? Does the pain get worse when you eat or drink a certain thing? When I don't take my allergie meds, I feel the same until I take a pill. Also Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Maybe checking out the symptoms of thyroid disorders would be a good idea. Always a good idea to go to a doctor when you don't feel right. Good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 01:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi im new to all this. I feel like a bit of a hypochondriac. Ive been going to the doctors over the past year about various problems that ive been having. It started with abdominal discomfort and the doctor said i had a palpable liver, i went for blood tests which came back clear. I visited the doctor again with upper left abdominal discomfort and again was sent for test and a abdominal scan which all came back clear. My lates thing is my throat in the last year ive had tonsillitus, sinisitus, larynx gitus, and any other itus going. I have an unusual feeling in my throat around my wind pipe and it radiates up to my ear its a scratchy feeling and my voice goes from time to time when im speaking so i have to clear my throat. it feels gristly to touch but there is no definate lump. Im afraid to go back to the doctors again almost like im convincing myself i have something more serious.:confused:Hi I have been having the same thing for over a year. I have worried so much over it,I don't have health insurance and can't go to the doctor. By the end of the day my throat hurt to the point I can't talk. It feels scratchy all the time. I can feel something in the area of my windpipe on the left side, But there is also a lump on the right side that has gotten bigger over the pass year. I went to the Doctor last year and he kind of blew me off and said it was nothing. Now it hurts all the time and I can taste blood at time. I had my left thyroid removed about 9 years ago because of a growth that was in it. It came back abnormal but not cancer. Now I am wondering if it was really soemthing bad and they just didn't get it all. I feel washed out everyday, I can fall alseep after having a good nights sleep.I clear my throat all the time.I have taken medication 2 times now to make the lympnode in my throat to go down and still things are just getting worst.Please email me (bchellebak4@aol.com) If you would like to talk. I am really thinking of going to the ER, I know I will never find my way back to this site. I you find out what is going on with you throat, Let me know.I to am so worried. I hate it when they act like it's nothing and you know yourself that something is going on. For me it's just a matter of not having health insurance. My doctor wants to have a ultra sound done and some blood work. I hope all turns out well for you. If I were you I would go. It's better to have a piece of mind then to drive yourself up the wll. Take care, mechelle
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2007
    • 05:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi im new to all this. I feel like a bit of a hypochondriac. Ive been going to the doctors over the past year about various problems that ive been having. It started with abdominal discomfort and the doctor said i had a palpable liver, i went for blood tests which came back clear. I visited the doctor again with upper left abdominal discomfort and again was sent for test and a abdominal scan which all came back clear. My lates thing is my throat in the last year ive had tonsillitus, sinisitus, larynx gitus, and any other itus going. I have an unusual feeling in my throat around my wind pipe and it radiates up to my ear its a scratchy feeling and my voice goes from time to time when im speaking so i have to clear my throat. it feels gristly to touch but there is no definate lump. Im afraid to go back to the doctors again almost like im convincing myself i have something more serious.:confused:I have had similar situations where I had a hard time swallowing. My voices is raspy and cannot eat large bites of food. I have to chew my food really well. I went to the doctor like you and everything came back normal about 4 years ago. I recently went for a check up and they did a ultrasound on my neck for blockage and found a nodule on my thyroid, I assume I have had this all along. I am having a test this week to see if it is benign.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm so glad I found this forum thread! I have been going through almost the EXACT same thing as the person who started this thread. I'm only 20 but I dont know what's been going on with my body this year. Probably four or five months ago I got ill a number of times in a row and then began having intense adbominal pain and discomfort for a few months. Shortly after this discomfort seemed to have subsided for good, I started feeling strange sensations in my neck, throat and behind my ears. I have seasonal allergies but this is something completely different, sensation-wise. My neck feels sore, especially under my jaw and around the adam's apple, which feels tight and constricted. Sometimes it hurts to swallow and depending on the time of day, one or more lymph nodes seem swollen. This has been going on for one to two months, on top of it, my abdominal discomfort has begun to surface again in the last few days. I feel like I've been getting the run around from doctors, although I have recently had a thyroid test and am awaiting the results. Keep us updated on what's going on with you.
  • i kinda fell the same as everyone here but mine have been a bit worse. It all started in july 2008, i was talking to my boss about never being sick because i have worked with kids for 10 years and i was telling her that i thought my body was immuned to everything out there lol. soon after that i started my period (sorry to be gross) but i lasted like a whole month wich has never happened before and im 25 now. i dont no if that happening to me caused anxiety or not but since it stopped in aug. i have gona down hill. I have been getting sweats and shortness of breath, rapid heart beat, pains in the chest, pressure in my ears and my stomach burns all the way up through my chest and neck and throat.......... they say i have acid reflux but im not sure...... could it be allergies? i have no idea? am i falling apart since i hit the half way to 50 club...lol? could be!!!! i no longer have insurance and i dont feel its nessacery to go the er becuse these are short episodes that come on about once a day and last for about an hour. anyone have any ideas?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2008
    • 01:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does your face get red too? Maybe you are sensitive to MSG. or free glucamate.......It is in everything now days..............
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2008
    • 10:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello...I am a 30yr male that has been having discomfort in my left side of my neck and back for quite a while now. Lately it has gotten a lot worse and it causes my nervous system to malfunction a lot of times (slight shaking and anxiety). I also have shortnesses of breath everytime I fall asleep and can feel an unusual or rapid heart beat at times. My entire left side from my upper neck and shoulders down to where my spine meets my pelvis often gives me discomfort as well. Am I just falling apart or can someone relate?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2008
    • 03:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hireading on what your all going through is making me more worried. I'm 20 years old and have never had any health issues at all up untill the last 2 years. At first i never experienced any pain or discomfort, i sufer slight bad abdominal pain, but i didnt think anything of it until reading what you all have wrote. Iv never had any throat infections of any kind. It wasnt until one morning i happened to check my theeth and noticed a lump the size of a ping pong ball at the back right hand side of my throat. It took me a long time for doctors to take me seriously, they kept on saying that because it wasnt causeing me any breathin or eating difficulties that they wouldnt remove it. Anyway a year later and it was removed, they told me that my tisses was growing behind my tonsils and had pushed them out...Now a year on, and my tissue continues to grow, but this time its not in a particular shape it just looks like my throat is shrinkin, i get sharp pains alot of the time especially in the morning, by throat swells up to the extent it gets difficult to brethe and i can not talk , i get bad dizzy spells and mild shaking spells, but that could be related to some thing else... Even though i persist in going to the doctors, they never take me seriously and just tell me to keep an eye on it, they never do or say anything about my other symptoms, iv been to A&E numerous times, and they do similar, after i go they dont contact me with an appoint ment even if i call them...Sorry for ranting on :( im just getting upset about itNataliethelovelynatz17@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2009
    • 00:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been suffering the same lately, It started about 2 months ago I noticed a discomfort in my throught, and it sort of went away then out of the blue I started to get sick, couldnt keep any foods down and had major stomach pain, first doctors thought it was a tummy bug, 2 weeks after that got sick again and couldnt keep anything down, doctor then diagnosed me with acid reflux I started taking nexium for that but symptoms still persisted, (Tummy pain, chest pain that comes in waves. discomfort in throat and tingling sensation on the bridge of my nose, swollen lymph nodes on back left side of neck, I have felt my tonsils and they have like hard little nodules on them. anxiety, and weight loss)for the last week and half I have major discomfort in my throat like its hard to swallow Perhaps a lump or something in the way, Ive also been suffering really bad anxiety. Ive had xrays done and have done a Barrium swallow, Apparently all clear. I have had thyroid problems in the past (hyperactive thyroid confirmed by blood tests) I had a scan done for that and nothing showed in my scans a year ago. (the scan was one where an injection of radiation is put into the bloodstream and you laydown on a bed and an xray turns round your head/neck area)I just aboout had it and am sick and tired of hearing the doctor say' I'll write you a perscription for ? and let me know how you go' Im not made of money and god only knows what these drugs are doing to me.I just want an answer for what is wrong and how to get rid of it so I can be normal again.has anyone had a proper diagnosis yet, so maybe I could through some ideas around at the docotrs.
  • You know I had (still have) a very similar situation. Lump in the throat, dizziness and fatique. After a year I developed some breathing problems, which thanks god are gone. My doctors ran thousand of tests and couldn't find anything that fits the picture. I've been diagnosed with H.Pylori and I took antibiotics for that. For 2 weeks after I felt much better but now symptoms are coming back. I am currently on Nexium. However taking it made me develop a heartburn which I did not have before!!! Hang on there! I think anxiety comes from the fact that were are tired of being sick and undiagnosed. That will go away eventually.
  • hi im new to all this. I feel like a bit of a hypochondriac. Ive been going to the doctors over the past year about various problems that ive been having. It started with abdominal discomfort and the doctor said i had a palpable liver, i went for blood tests which came back clear. I visited the doctor again with upper left abdominal discomfort and again was sent for test and a abdominal scan which all came back clear. My lates thing is my throat in the last year ive had tonsillitus, sinisitus, larynx gitus, and any other itus going. I have an unusual feeling in my throat around my wind pipe and it radiates up to my ear its a scratchy feeling and my voice goes from time to time when im speaking so i have to clear my throat. it feels gristly to touch but there is no definate lump. Im afraid to go back to the doctors again almost like im convincing myself i have something more serious.:confused:Have some x-rays taken of your Cervical spine, with special attention paid to the anterior vertebral bodies and longitudinal ligament. There could be some ossification occurring, a phenomenon known as DISH (Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hypertosis)...this could explain the scratchy throat. Or, it could even be a Rheumatic condition that could respond well to medication (blood tests will be needed).
    ChrisFloridaPT 29 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Please check / google for LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux / Silent Reflux). Also doing MRI / USG (ultrasound) for neck area.
  • Well...I have throat discomfort, chest pain, shooting head pain, heart palpitations, red moles that itch, nausea, dizziness, abdominal discomfort, left arm wrist pains...really..what the ***l is wrong with me?doctors always are telling me its anxiety. Im sorry but cmon please. Anxiety would NOT do all this to me. I have looked up Lymphoma..i have signs. I have looked up Melanoma..i have signs. I have anxiety, I am on Xanax. But what is with all the other things?I'm scared that one day i will go to sleep and my kids won't have a mother anymore.What do I do? Doctors don't seem to want to take the time to help someone on aide.So, they just let you suffer and then die??Does anyone out there feel the same as I do symptoms wise?HELP ME!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2009
    • 04:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ugh! At least I'm not alone in this!I'm a 22 year old female, average height/weight, no serious health problems previous to this... but for the last 3/4 months I have been experiencing a myriad of bizarre physical symptoms. I have been suffering from anxiety the whole time due a number of unpleasant things that I have been through in the past year, and I feel like I'm falling apart!I have this bizarre feeling of discomfort in the back, left hand side of my throat. I have tried poking around to see if I can feel any sort of lump, but there doesn't appear to be anything there. If anything, it is just a little swollen, but because of my anxiety I might just be totally imagining it!Along with this I've been experiencing heart palpitations, difficulty breathing sometimes, a much stronger pulse in the left side of my neck, random joint/back/muscle aches, occasional kidney discomfort on the left side, ringing in my ears, headaches, dizziness, fatigue... the list goes on.I'm currently out of the UK visiting family for the next few weeks and can't get to a local doctor, so I just find myself sitting here thinking about the throat discomfort and worrying that it is some sort of oral cancer. The fact that I am a smoker doesn't help to ease my worries...Has anyone had any resolution with this yet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 08:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms as you do. Years after seeing many doctors and trying alot of meds this is the result: Iregular heart beats - known as PVCs which are not a danger but very common. Lump in my throat that is due to anxiety. Ringing in ears - tinnitus caused by my zoloft. Chest pain and discomfort - is actually my esauphagus constricting from all the meds i take and have taken in the past causing small amounts of tearing. Neck pain is from a bulging disc and degenerative disease which causes head pains and alot of occipital pain. I have had these symptoms for about 15 or more years. I even have a large lump in my right side neck that was assumed by one doctor as hodgkins. Wrong - it was just an unusual muscle. I do have anxiety and fibromyalgia. Who doesn't these days. I have been successful in getting off alot of prescribed meds and am now learning that what hasn't killed me after this long will only prove to make me stronger. It does get rough sometimes but you learn to live with the physical symptoms. Exercise in moderation, omega 3 or fish oil in diet, potassium, magnesium, and b-vitamins can be a huge help. Just check out vitamins and minerals on the web or with the doc before you start taking too much stuff you don't really need. Alot of what you need can be obtained by good eating habits. Right foods at the right times. Good luck - and the feeling of being afraid you will not wake up will go away with time.... after you've lived through alot of those nights. Have a good life with your children and make every minute with them count. When they grow up they tend to remember our sicknesses and our discipline methods more than the good times and the love that we gave them. Hoping the best for you and yours!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2010
    • 09:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi im new to all this. I feel like a bit of a hypochondriac. Ive been going to the doctors over the past year about various problems that ive been having. It started with abdominal discomfort and the doctor said i had a palpable liver, i went for blood tests which came back clear. I visited the doctor again with upper left abdominal discomfort and again was sent for test and a abdominal scan which all came back clear. My lates thing is my throat in the last year ive had tonsillitus, sinisitus, larynx gitus, and any other itus going. I have an unusual feeling in my throat around my wind pipe and it radiates up to my ear its a scratchy feeling and my voice goes from time to time when im speaking so i have to clear my throat. it feels gristly to touch but there is no definate lump. Im afraid to go back to the doctors again almost like im convincing myself i have something more serious.:confused: I too feel very similar to you right now. I had a sinisitus infection about 2-3 weeks ago, and I have never had one before. In fact I rarely get sick and I am in ***n good soccer shape. My throat was so choked up it took twice as long to swallow water for example. Now it feels as though I have a swollen thyroid. I feel the constant need to clear my throat and their isn't really anything their. It kinda hurts, and feels about the size of a pingpong ball, but i cant actually feel it. Its right at the base of the throat around the collar bone/chest area. I am starting to feel like a hyponchondriac myself (maybe because i've taken anatomy and physilogy). Even though I am a very postive individual normally. Last month I noticed three or 4 white hairs on my gohtee and I am only 25. What the ***l? Plus I've recently starting losing a substatial amount of hair off the top of my head. I also just found out that I have 2 fractured vertebrae in my lumbar spine, since I have strong abs my lower back doesn't hurt. But I have this pain that rarely goes away by my scapula, where my romboideus muscle feels like a huge knot. Messages and chriopractic care are just temporary fixes... Plus the stress of trying to get by precal and chem among other classes just makes everything worse. Sleeping problems have become problematic for me too. I have been having bad nightmares. this morning I even had a dream that I talked to someone about the bad nightmare dreams I am having... not cool.Any suggestions on natural sleep aids... from the good food store or something like that?I've thought of using the inversion table to correct my back pain? Has anyone used one before?:confused:I think I have a thyroid condition... but I'm getting an ultrasound of it in a few weeks... Any ideas guys?Please email me if you can help... jschneebs@yahoo.com God Bless.
    jschneebs 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think you have a thyroid problem. I suffered from joint and muscle pain, tired all the time, unexplainable side pain on the left (sometimes severe-guess what Dr said it was intestine not passing waste and yes I eat tons of fiber filled foods and drink my water), carpel tunnel symptoms in wrists and now I have the discomfort in the throat and pressure/discomfort in swallowing. Just about eveerything in these threds were my symptoms. I get a blood test every 8-10 weeks and we have to keep increasing my thyriod meds. Also generic synthroid did not work for me. I feel great again after about four days of being on the increased dose. Dr. said I'm hypo and have thyroiditis. Also, take the pill with 8 oz of water and don't eat of drink for one hour. The thyriod helps run everything (like a car battery) so do not under estimate it. When it is not working right it interfers with the rest of the body. Google Thyroid blood test for more info.I too feel very similar to you right now. I had a sinisitus infection about 2-3 weeks ago, and I have never had one before. In fact I rarely get sick and I am in ***n good soccer shape. My throat was so choked up it took twice as long to swallow water for example. Now it feels as though I have a swollen thyroid. I feel the constant need to clear my throat and their isn't really anything their. It kinda hurts, and feels about the size of a pingpong ball, but i cant actually feel it. Its right at the base of the throat around the collar bone/chest area. I am starting to feel like a hyponchondriac myself (maybe because i've taken anatomy and physilogy). Even though I am a very postive individual normally. Last month I noticed three or 4 white hairs on my gohtee and I am only 25. What the ***l? Plus I've recently starting losing a substatial amount of hair off the top of my head. I also just found out that I have 2 fractured vertebrae in my lumbar spine, since I have strong abs my lower back doesn't hurt. But I have this pain that rarely goes away by my scapula, where my romboideus muscle feels like a huge knot. Messages and chriopractic care are just temporary fixes... Plus the stress of trying to get by precal and chem among other classes just makes everything worse. Sleeping problems have become problematic for me too. I have been having bad nightmares. this morning I even had a dream that I talked to someone about the bad nightmare dreams I am having... not cool.Any suggestions on natural sleep aids... from the good food store or something like that?I've thought of using the inversion table to correct my back pain? Has anyone used one before?:confused:I think I have a thyroid condition... but I'm getting an ultrasound of it in a few weeks... Any ideas guys?Please email me if you can help... jschneebs@yahoo.com God Bless.
  • Please search "chemtrails" and read the different sites. You have to be the judge youself, but you can look up to the sky!try ithireading on what your all going through is making me more worried. I'm 20 years old and have never had any health issues at all up untill the last 2 years. At first i never experienced any pain or discomfort, i sufer slight bad abdominal pain, but i didnt think anything of it until reading what you all have wrote. Iv never had any throat infections of any kind. It wasnt until one morning i happened to check my theeth and noticed a lump the size of a ping pong ball at the back right hand side of my throat. It took me a long time for doctors to take me seriously, they kept on saying that because it wasnt causeing me any breathin or eating difficulties that they wouldnt remove it. Anyway a year later and it was removed, they told me that my tisses was growing behind my tonsils and had pushed them out...Now a year on, and my tissue continues to grow, but this time its not in a particular shape it just looks like my throat is shrinkin, i get sharp pains alot of the time especially in the morning, by throat swells up to the extent it gets difficult to brethe and i can not talk , i get bad dizzy spells and mild shaking spells, but that could be related to some thing else... Even though i persist in going to the doctors, they never take me seriously and just tell me to keep an eye on it, they never do or say anything about my other symptoms, iv been to A&E numerous times, and they do similar, after i go they dont contact me with an appoint ment even if i call them...Sorry for ranting on :( im just getting upset about itNataliethelovelynatz17@hotmail.com
  • Hello...I am a 30yr male that has been having discomfort in my left side of my neck and back for quite a while now. Lately it has gotten a lot worse and it causes my nervous system to malfunction a lot of times (slight shaking and anxiety). I also have shortnesses of breath everytime I fall asleep and can feel an unusual or rapid heart beat at times. My entire left side from my upper neck and shoulders down to where my spine meets my pelvis often gives me discomfort as well. Am I just falling apart or can someone relate?Hello. Im 33 yrs old. female. Im feeling the same symptoms ...this very discomfort on my neck. I went to the doctors to get tested ..for blood work. all came out normal. but today i had a separate palet done just for my thyroid . I also have anxiety..slight shakiness, but not shortness of breath. i do go through a lot of stress..having 2 kids. being a stay at home mom..etc. but is THERE a cure or remedy we could do at home meantime..I wait for my test results? im soo anxious..i dont like how it feels.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2011
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement