Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Hip/Butt pain, whole leg starting to hurt

Posted In: Muscle conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: trickyspark
  • February 12, 2009
  • 05:14 AM

Hello all, I'm posting this message for my wife.
We both went hunting for shark teeth in a local river. This basically consists of stooping over, squatting, or sitting in the water, taking a scoop of some sort and dumping it in a strainer (pasta strainer works great).
We went almost every day for a few months, missing only the days when a bad storm came up, or the river was still swollen from a big rain.
She started having pain around the part of your butt bone that sticks out in the middle of the cheek (I know my medical terminology is great isn't it?). From what I can gather, it sounds like it started out as being the kind of pain you might have when you need to pop a joint, like a finger or toe.
From what she describes now, it is all the way down her leg. She continues pulling on the leg in odd positions in an attempt to pop it despite my protests, as I have noticed her complain about the pain more after a marathon attempt at popping it. The pain goes down the back of her leg, in what I can only make sense of as maybe being a hamstring. She says it's like the little things on the back of your hand that run from the wrist to the fingers. They look sort of like big cords or strings. She says the pain in her leg is in something like that. She is Chinese, and I don't speak Chinese, so getting a good description isn't exactly working for me.
Basically she says her butt bone hurts in the right cheek. She hasn't fallen at all. She hasn't twisted anything or pulled anything. She hasn't lifted anything heavy. It sounds sort of like when you sleep wrong and have a crick in your neck, except this won't go away. She's had it for near a year, and it seems to be getting worse. She says the leg hurts all the way to the foot, down the back of the leg.

She said it started after all the shark tooth hunting. Since winter has came, she has basically sat on her butt all day. She doesn't exercise much. If she does, it consists of curling a 5lb weight maybe 20 times. How this helps the leg I do not know. She constantly beats on her butt bone with her fist. I don't know that it helps, but I can't imagine how.
Does anyone have any idea what it is? She won't go to the doctor because we don't have any insurance.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Sorry about your insurance problems....but your wife needs to see a doctor to rule out some things. I think she needs an MRI of her lumbar spine, to rule out disk issues. I think what your wife is feeling is the Sciatic nerve and radiating pain from that. In the butt, the sciatic nerve passes through a hole in a bone called the obturator foramen. Also passing through this groove is a muscle known a piriformis. It's entirely possible that the piriformis is compressing the sciatic nerve in this area (entrapment). As a massage therapist, we are trained to relieve this type of symptom ONLY after a doc has ruled out vertebral problems. My clients love it! Walking will help. Get her up and moving around. Sitting on that area is just providing more compression to the area. So, too, will beating on her butt....but only if you know the 'right' spots to beat. The piriformis muscle is deep to the gluteal muscles, so accessing it can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing. It could make it worse. She does need to see a doc to rule out some more serious causes. Maybe there is a low-cost clinic she could go to? Best of luck, that's not a fun pain.
    Harmonium 322 Replies
    • February 12, 2009
    • 06:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I had similar trouble but with bad low back pain. However after negative MRI's for 3 years and no real solutions or relief, I suggested they look at my hip because of the pain in the middle of my rear and the pain that went down the back of my leg. Low and behold they found I had a torn muscle of the "Gluteus Medius". At this point it had healed on it's own but to this day it is still very painful and will cause me to limp and after too much limping it throws my whole body off and I get referred pain in my kneecaps and down into my ankle.Don't let them only focus on the spine, of course get it checked but if they rule out Spinal causes, tell them to check the hip. It generally is see in the elderly and or athletes, am I am neither. Very overlooked and misdiagnosed all the time. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Whitebird43--I'm sorry to hear of your torn muscle. But, if it is still giving you so much trouble, there are many things that you can do to facilitate better healing. It sounds from your post as if the Tensor Fasciae Latae (that attaches where your Glute Medius does) and the Iliotibial Band are not tracking properly. This is why your knee hurts, and can be fixed. If you can find a well-qualified Massage Therapist in your area, I believe it would help you become pain-free. Look for one who has credentials in Sports Massage or Neuromuscular Techniques. They can help, but be sure to find one with the proper training (training for MT's varies wildly across the US, if you are here). Also, when it hurts after a day of using it, when you get home use RICE--rest, ice, compression and elevation. It can really help with the inflammation (even if you can't see the inflammation, I would bet it is indeed inflamed after a hard day on it). My point is you do not have to suffer with this pain forever. It can be helped, and I wish you well. :D
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I have suffered from this for years and years as I was born with a congenital dislocation of the hip. It can sometimes feel like your whole butt is bruised. It definitely sounds like the sciatic nerve is involved and there are a lot of things that can help relieve it. I do a combination of yoga exercises twice a week and I swim twice a week. It is very important for the muscles in the area to be as strong as they possibly can be to take the weight of her body. Lifting weights or heavy things is generally not a good idea as it can worsen the pain. I know that ice is recommended by most professionals but I find that that a warm wheatbag helps heaps and heaps. There are some supplements tht can also help like calcium and glucosamine. It is important to have a lot of rest. Massage helps too, though i find that some days my butt is too sore to even be touched. It is also important to wear good shoes as these will help stabilise you. Hope this helps!
    acacia1907 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sorry about your insurance problems....but your wife needs to see a doctor to rule out some things. I think she needs an MRI of her lumbar spine, to rule out disk issues. I think what your wife is feeling is the Sciatic nerve and radiating pain from that. In the butt, the sciatic nerve passes through a hole in a bone called the obturator foramen. Also passing through this groove is a muscle known a piriformis. It's entirely possible that the piriformis is compressing the sciatic nerve in this area (entrapment). As a massage therapist, we are trained to relieve this type of symptom ONLY after a doc has ruled out vertebral problems. My clients love it! Walking will help. Get her up and moving around. Sitting on that area is just providing more compression to the area. So, too, will beating on her butt....but only if you know the 'right' spots to beat. The piriformis muscle is deep to the gluteal muscles, so accessing it can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing. It could make it worse. She does need to see a doc to rule out some more serious causes. Maybe there is a low-cost clinic she could go to? Best of luck, that's not a fun pain.Somehow I came accross this posting and as I was reading it I was also thinking the same exact thing as for the Sciatic nerve and Piriformis Muscle. That was my first thought and response as well, only because of my own experience of the pain. For many years now I have been dealing with pain which only about a year ago was my diagnosis pin pointed towards the Piriformis muscle, which yes causes sever pain that radiates from the coccyx bone (which is your tail bone), to the right of my almost side but below my hip. I had broken my coccyx bone going on 6 years now, which had me layed out for a good 4 months on my side (right) which in time caused other problems as I now know with my Piriformis muscle. Anyway, I do agree that a doctor is needed to at least diagnos the problem so your wife can at least know what to avoid to more added pain. If it is in turn the piriformis muscle, unfortunatly pain is pretty inevitable however it is true there are things such as lifting and over usage of the muscle that will certainaly cause more pain. Hope everything turns out well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello all, I'm posting this message for my wife.We both went hunting for shark teeth in a local river. This basically consists of stooping over, squatting, or sitting in the water, taking a scoop of some sort and dumping it in a strainer (pasta strainer works great).We went almost every day for a few months, missing only the days when a bad storm came up, or the river was still swollen from a big rain.She started having pain around the part of your butt bone that sticks out in the middle of the cheek (I know my medical terminology is great isn't it?). From what I can gather, it sounds like it started out as being the kind of pain you might have when you need to pop a joint, like a finger or toe. From what she describes now, it is all the way down her leg. She continues pulling on the leg in odd positions in an attempt to pop it despite my protests, as I have noticed her complain about the pain more after a marathon attempt at popping it. The pain goes down the back of her leg, in what I can only make sense of as maybe being a hamstring. She says it's like the little things on the back of your hand that run from the wrist to the fingers. They look sort of like big cords or strings. She says the pain in her leg is in something like that. She is Chinese, and I don't speak Chinese, so getting a good description isn't exactly working for me.Basically she says her butt bone hurts in the right cheek. She hasn't fallen at all. She hasn't twisted anything or pulled anything. She hasn't lifted anything heavy. It sounds sort of like when you sleep wrong and have a crick in your neck, except this won't go away. She's had it for near a year, and it seems to be getting worse. She says the leg hurts all the way to the foot, down the back of the leg. She said it started after all the shark tooth hunting. Since winter has came, she has basically sat on her butt all day. She doesn't exercise much. If she does, it consists of curling a 5lb weight maybe 20 times. How this helps the leg I do not know. She constantly beats on her butt bone with her fist. I don't know that it helps, but I can't imagine how.Does anyone have any idea what it is? She won't go to the doctor because we don't have any insurance.Some simple stretches may provide some relieve, even if there is a disc issue these should be a safe option. A piriformis stretch sounds like an excellent idea. Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on surface, cross one leg over resting your ankle on the other knee. Just let the leg relax and use hands to pull knee toward the opposite shoulder, gently. Do not twist your back. You should feel a pull in yoour buttock, but keep it pain free stretching to hard just makes you sore! Also, A hamstring and calf stretch may help. Hold each 15-30 sec do 3-5, a couple times a day, pain-free. If helps and pain decreases need to start strengthing. Weakness comes with its on pain and leaves open for reinjury.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2009
    • 04:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all, I'm posting this message for my wife.We both went hunting for shark teeth in a local river. This basically consists of stooping over, squatting, or sitting in the water, taking a scoop of some sort and dumping it in a strainer (pasta strainer works great).We went almost every day for a few months, missing only the days when a bad storm came up, or the river was still swollen from a big rain.She started having pain around the part of your butt bone that sticks out in the middle of the cheek (I know my medical terminology is great isn't it?). From what I can gather, it sounds like it started out as being the kind of pain you might have when you need to pop a joint, like a finger or toe. From what she describes now, it is all the way down her leg. She continues pulling on the leg in odd positions in an attempt to pop it despite my protests, as I have noticed her complain about the pain more after a marathon attempt at popping it. The pain goes down the back of her leg, in what I can only make sense of as maybe being a hamstring. She says it's like the little things on the back of your hand that run from the wrist to the fingers. They look sort of like big cords or strings. She says the pain in her leg is in something like that. She is Chinese, and I don't speak Chinese, so getting a good description isn't exactly working for me.Basically she says her butt bone hurts in the right cheek. She hasn't fallen at all. She hasn't twisted anything or pulled anything. She hasn't lifted anything heavy. It sounds sort of like when you sleep wrong and have a crick in your neck, except this won't go away. She's had it for near a year, and it seems to be getting worse. She says the leg hurts all the way to the foot, down the back of the leg. She said it started after all the shark tooth hunting. Since winter has came, she has basically sat on her butt all day. She doesn't exercise much. If she does, it consists of curling a 5lb weight maybe 20 times. How this helps the leg I do not know. She constantly beats on her butt bone with her fist. I don't know that it helps, but I can't imagine how.Does anyone have any idea what it is? She won't go to the doctor because we don't have any insurance.Sometimes contracting the muscle, instead of stretching is more helpful. We have more overstretched muscles these days and fail to care for them, instead continue to try to "stretch them out", making them worse. When whatever your doing doesn't work, try something different?Also, do not rule out possibl arterial issues in the leg. Most likely it's sciatia and muscle spasm/inflammation and nerve, however aterial issues can also cause the same symptoms described; leg and hip pain, very tend butt, pain running butt to foot. There are simple tests to rule out arterial involvement as well (pulse and pressure readings). Just another idea.Consider requestion Voltaran gel (external anti-inflammtory) which can be applied several times a day to affected areas. This relieves any inflammation without running through the digestive system. The doctor may have samples (ortho, neuro, PCP).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2010
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement