Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sporadic Itching with Raised Bumps

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: JonKall
  • February 12, 2009
  • 05:01 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and normally I'm not the type to post for help, but despite hours and hours of searching the net and forums, I can't figure this out, and neither can my dermatologist.

So, here's what I'm dealing with:

A few months ago, I started noticing my scalp would intermittently become very itchy at a few places. When I would scratch, I noticed that these locations would feel like a raised bump, very similar to a bug bite. However, after a few minutes, the itching would subside, and an hour or so later the bumps would be gone as well. This problem persists, as I never figured out what was causing the itching scalp, but now it has spread.

This same condition of a single raised, itchy bump showing up and later disappearing has spread to my arms, chest, back, neck, and legs. The itching is present around my groin, without the raised bumps. My hands and feet have never experienced the itching or bumps.

These bumps are *not* red, or any other color. They are all skin colored until I scratch at them. Once I scratch, they turn red and become even more raised. What's rather interesting is that only on my upper arms and back, the scratching triggers dozens of tiny, secondary bumps that my dermatologist identified as hives.

Whatever triggers the initial bumps and itching, it causes a terrible scratch-itch-scratch-itch cycle that subsides on its own (even if I continue itching, the itching eventually gets tolerable and then goes away) or once I make a concerted effort to stop itching.

Showering has become my only refuge of sanity, as the spray of water holds the itching at bay without further irritating the skin.

I am at a loss. The fact that the initial, primary bumps *always* recur in the exact same location on my skin seems to suggest some kind of fungal infection or parasite or *something* of that nature, especially since it all started in my scalp. However, all of my searches for skin fungus or parasites indicate that I should see ever-present, red bumps or scaly skin. I have neither.

Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated. The itching is bothersome, and my constant scratching causes unsightly red splotchy areas on my skin... not to mention a few scabs and bleeding where I managed to tear at one of the bumps.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement