Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sporadic Itching with Raised Bumps

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 45 Replies
  • Posted By: JonKall
  • February 12, 2009
  • 05:01 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and normally I'm not the type to post for help, but despite hours and hours of searching the net and forums, I can't figure this out, and neither can my dermatologist.

So, here's what I'm dealing with:

A few months ago, I started noticing my scalp would intermittently become very itchy at a few places. When I would scratch, I noticed that these locations would feel like a raised bump, very similar to a bug bite. However, after a few minutes, the itching would subside, and an hour or so later the bumps would be gone as well. This problem persists, as I never figured out what was causing the itching scalp, but now it has spread.

This same condition of a single raised, itchy bump showing up and later disappearing has spread to my arms, chest, back, neck, and legs. The itching is present around my groin, without the raised bumps. My hands and feet have never experienced the itching or bumps.

These bumps are *not* red, or any other color. They are all skin colored until I scratch at them. Once I scratch, they turn red and become even more raised. What's rather interesting is that only on my upper arms and back, the scratching triggers dozens of tiny, secondary bumps that my dermatologist identified as hives.

Whatever triggers the initial bumps and itching, it causes a terrible scratch-itch-scratch-itch cycle that subsides on its own (even if I continue itching, the itching eventually gets tolerable and then goes away) or once I make a concerted effort to stop itching.

Showering has become my only refuge of sanity, as the spray of water holds the itching at bay without further irritating the skin.

I am at a loss. The fact that the initial, primary bumps *always* recur in the exact same location on my skin seems to suggest some kind of fungal infection or parasite or *something* of that nature, especially since it all started in my scalp. However, all of my searches for skin fungus or parasites indicate that I should see ever-present, red bumps or scaly skin. I have neither.

Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated. The itching is bothersome, and my constant scratching causes unsightly red splotchy areas on my skin... not to mention a few scabs and bleeding where I managed to tear at one of the bumps.

Reply Flag this Discussion

45 Replies:

• I have never been allergic in my life. About 9 months ago I had similar symptoms to what you are describing. I could not stop itching, night an day, over my entire body. I did get the raised bumps which my Dermatologist and Allergist said were Hives with Dermographism. I had them run all the test they could with my blood because I was concerned it may be cancer - the test came back negative and my Allergist put me on Zyrtec (Allertec @ Costco) and Zantec.. This medication has allowed me to function without tearing apart my skin for the last 9 months, but if I skip a couple days all the itching comes back.. like right now as I type this, it's been 2 days since I had access to me pills and I really starting to be uncomfortable. Basically what my Allergist told me was that there may be some protein that my body is producing which is causing the histamines to be released in my body and they are binding with my skin causing irritation and thus, the itching. He says that my body may burn out in time and I may not need the medication afterwards.. I have an appointment in 7 months to see Him again. Im of course concerned that it is something more, though everything else is regular for me.. without the Allergy medication (I get 300 Allertec(Zrytec) @ Costco for $19 - 1 years worth), and a prescribed dose of Zantec, I don't know how I would pull through without extreme discomfort. Go see your Allergist, and have them give a script. Good LuckYou can also check out http://www.dermographism.com/
    SupDoc 1 Replies
    • February 12, 2009
    • 10:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I know you went to a dermatologist, but with hives coming out too I am wondering if you have seen an allergist. I used to get hives for absolutely no reason and they are the same, where there is no red and they can go away pretty quickly depending on what causes them. An allergist can actually do testing on your back to determine what you are allergic to. Since I haven't been sneezing, I was amazed at how many things I am allergic to that is in the air (pollens, trees and such) Good luck and hope this helps!
    Busilady 3 Replies
    • February 12, 2009
    • 05:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Golly!That's exactly what I am dealing with,except it remains ONLY on the back of my head under my hair,on the scalp.Small raised bumps, not read, skin-colored. Until I scratch them that is.They feel like the creeping crud!Let's see if we can get an answer for this one!!I've treated myself for psoriasis-like symptoms (shampoos);it clears up but then comes back!Keep in touch! Please!thankful4jesus-friends@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Might be time to keep Food Diary... I know they can be a hassle but may will help idenitify causes, despite allergy testing you could still find certain foods trigger these... Best of luckSammy http://www.undiagnosedillness.org
  • I have the same problem, and I notice that eating shrimp tends to add to the itching more.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2009
    • 06:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem. I never had this issue before. I think something is seriously wrong
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2009
    • 05:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also been getting these bumps on my forearms, biceps, legs chest/stomach, and thighs. I have yet to figure out what it was, I first thought it was an allergy to detergents, but after changing and washing everything I realized it wasn't. I also thought it may be bed bugs or some sort of mite, but after checking for any traces, it was not. Both my girlfriend and I have this and have no idea where it has come from. We are both vegetarian, and we live together. She first got it and then shortly after, I did. We have tried some over the counter allergy medications but they only mild it and make it less irritable for a while. I have yet to figure out what it may be, but after these past few months of dealing with this, I need answers. So far I have got none. If anyone finds out what this may be, please post immediately.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2010
    • 05:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have very bad problems as a result of msg in food and all its many hidden forms. The reaction you describe is normally the first sign i have eaten msg. www.msgmyth.com is a wealth of information. Im not syaing this is your problem, its just that that was one of my sypmtoms and cutting msg out had eradicated it.
  • I have also been getting these bumps on my forearms, biceps, legs chest/stomach, and thighs. I have yet to figure out what it was, I first thought it was an allergy to detergents, but after changing and washing everything I realized it wasn't. I also thought it may be bed bugs or some sort of mite, but after checking for any traces, it was not. Both my girlfriend and I have this and have no idea where it has come from. We are both vegetarian, and we live together. She first got it and then shortly after, I did. We have tried some over the counter allergy medications but they only mild it and make it less irritable for a while. I have yet to figure out what it may be, but after these past few months of dealing with this, I need answers. So far I have got none. If anyone finds out what this may be, please post immediately.Did you ever figure it out? I have this problem now too. A few days ago it was my calves; then my calves and arms; then my arms and thighs yesterday, and then today its arms legs tummy and neck. if i scratch, little bumps appear where i was scratching, in various small sizes and random patterns. so weird!! i took benedryl tonight; we'll see if it helps.
  • I've found that the Miracle of Aloe company produces something called Miracle Anti-Fungal. This stuff gets rid of the bumps quickly. The active ingredient is Tolnaftate (1%). It also has aloe and tea tree oil, although neither of these seem to work on their own.For the past year, I've had recurring bouts with the tiny, itchy bumps with clear fluid. If I scratch them, they multiply into a mass of more bumps. While this product I mentioned does get rid of the symptoms, it doesn't seem to cure the source of the problem. Yet, I hope "Miracle Anti-Fungal" provides everyone some much needed relief!
  • how r u.. i have read every1s replys to the suggeted topic an i can relate ive been dealing with this for some time now is been more then several months at first i just thought it was nothing but a itch but as time went on i started scratching more an more still not paying any attention to it. every night before i wen to sleep i started itching i also thought it was hives but its not. the itching started with my head an i would scratch, then i would feel a bump on top of my feeling like a bug bite but acouple hours later it would b gone. then as time went on its started going to my back an that became the worst it would just itch an i didnt know where it was cuming from i thought it was just because i i sweaty or dirty but even after i got out the shower my body got worst .....my legs and arms an chest and groin area started itching i continuesly looked on up things i thought it could b but none of them were the cause my back gets the worst i scratch so badly i get welts and the bumps start off as jus my reagular skin complexion sen i scratch am it turns red i hate this feeling i neva been allergic 2 anything everything i use i use still 2 this day, its not bed bugs it not an allergic reaction... i dont kno wat it is ive even tryed cool showers.... so im in need of help if sum1 finds the cause please let me kno
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I went through it for a number of years before I found a very smart Dermatologist. I had suffered all kinds of indignities and spent a fortune on 'cures' that never worked. Chances are it is Atopoic Eczema. It can look like a dozen different skin dis-eases from bug bites to rash to measles to ??? It is an itch-scratch cycle that can occur on any part of the body at any time. It can also maskor mimic food allergies or other dermatitis. I have grass allergies and Contact Dermatitis. There is no cure. The best anyone with AE is some relief without resorting to Steroida drugs. When I finally got a diagnosos after 60 years I lerned to do different things. I only wear c100% cotton clothing. And because my skin is so sensiitve I bought Egyptian collton sheets, towels and washclothes. I only use natural body, hair, dish and laundry products. I can only find this in one store. I do not want to see ash, tar or alcohol in any product I touch. I also use a OTC children's liquid anti-histamine syruo. Gold Bond anti-itch cream. Aquaphor is a new OTC cream that work very well for me. I aslouse alcohol free, fragrance free baby wipes to clean the area that is extra itchy before i apply any cream. It helps too. Steroids have terrible side affects. However physicians have been using it to treat infancts with Atopic Eczema for 75 years. When I started this regimine I was awake 24/7 with the itch until I was exhausted. I was taking 8mg of Medrol per day. That was five years ago. Today I occassionaly take 2mg. Heat and humidity and trees irritate me for some reason. I moved north to a house that is not surrounded by trees. It helps. I also started to use furnace filters that trap bacteria, virus, dust bunnies, smoke, mold spores and more. The filters are not cheap but it brings relief since I no longer have windows or doors open and therefore do not breathe mold spores. I don't know what it means, or why it works, but I know it works for me. Most family doctors do not see Atopic Eczema in a lifetime of practice. This is why I spent most of my life in misery every summer. Yes, I still itch in the winter, but it not nearly as vicious a cycle as in the summer. And yes I have dry skin. The dermatologist said it was a gift from my mother and grandmother who had allergies but not a skin disease. Good luck to you all. Hi everyone, I'm new here, and normally I'm not the type to post for help, but despite hours and hours of searching the net and forums, I can't figure this out, and neither can my dermatologist.So, here's what I'm dealing with:A few months ago, I started noticing my scalp would intermittently become very itchy at a few places. When I would scratch, I noticed that these locations would feel like a raised bump, very similar to a bug bite. However, after a few minutes, the itching would subside, and an hour or so later the bumps would be gone as well. This problem persists, as I never figured out what was causing the itching scalp, but now it has spread.This same condition of a single raised, itchy bump showing up and later disappearing has spread to my arms, chest, back, neck, and legs. The itching is present around my groin, without the raised bumps. My hands and feet have never experienced the itching or bumps.These bumps are *not* red, or any other color. They are all skin colored until I scratch at them. Once I scratch, they turn red and become even more raised. What's rather interesting is that only on my upper arms and back, the scratching triggers dozens of tiny, secondary bumps that my dermatologist identified as hives. Whatever triggers the initial bumps and itching, it causes a terrible scratch-itch-scratch-itch cycle that subsides on its own (even if I continue itching, the itching eventually gets tolerable and then goes away) or once I make a concerted effort to stop itching. Showering has become my only refuge of sanity, as the spray of water holds the itching at bay without further irritating the skin.I am at a loss. The fact that the initial, primary bumps *always* recur in the exact same location on my skin seems to suggest some kind of fungal infection or parasite or *something* of that nature, especially since it all started in my scalp. However, all of my searches for skin fungus or parasites indicate that I should see ever-present, red bumps or scaly skin. I have neither.Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated. The itching is bothersome, and my constant scratching causes unsightly red splotchy areas on my skin... not to mention a few scabs and bleeding where I managed to tear at one of the bumps.
  • Hi everyone, I'm new here, and normally I'm not the type to post for help, but despite hours and hours of searching the net and forums, I can't figure this out, and neither can my dermatologist. So, here's what I'm dealing with: A few months ago, I started noticing my scalp would intermittently become very itchy at a few places. When I would scratch, I noticed that these locations would feel like a raised bump, very similar to a bug bite. However, after a few minutes, the itching would subside, and an hour or so later the bumps would be gone as well. This problem persists, as I never figured out what was causing the itching scalp, but now it has spread. This same condition of a single raised, itchy bump showing up and later disappearing has spread to my arms, chest, back, neck, and legs. The itching is present around my groin, without the raised bumps. My hands and feet have never experienced the itching or bumps. These bumps are *not* red, or any other color. They are all skin colored until I scratch at them. Once I scratch, they turn red and become even more raised. What's rather interesting is that only on my upper arms and back, the scratching triggers dozens of tiny, secondary bumps that my dermatologist identified as hives. Whatever triggers the initial bumps and itching, it causes a terrible scratch-itch-scratch-itch cycle that subsides on its own (even if I continue itching, the itching eventually gets tolerable and then goes away) or once I make a concerted effort to stop itching. Showering has become my only refuge of sanity, as the spray of water holds the itching at bay without further irritating the skin. I am at a loss. The fact that the initial, primary bumps *always* recur in the exact same location on my skin seems to suggest some kind of fungal infection or parasite or *something* of that nature, especially since it all started in my scalp. However, all of my searches for skin fungus or parasites indicate that I should see ever-present, red bumps or scaly skin. I have neither. Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated. The itching is bothersome, and my constant scratching causes unsightly red splotchy areas on my skin... not to mention a few scabs and bleeding where I managed to tear at one of the bumps. I have similiar symptoms My dermatologist is at a lossMy raised bumps seem to take on weird shapes almost likethey are interconnected like pieces of a jig saw puzzle My tests didn't come back suggesting anything He hastried 3 different RX's I got some minimal relieve with Clobetasol RX
    dboots 96 Replies
    • September 30, 2010
    • 10:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I went through it for a number of years before I found a very smart Dermatologist. I had suffered all kinds of indignities and spent a fortune on 'cures' that never worked. Chances are it is Atopoic Eczema. It can look like a dozen different skin dis-eases from bug bites to rash to measles to ??? It is an itch-scratch cycle that can occur on any part of the body at any time. It can also maskor mimic food allergies or other dermatitis. I have grass allergies and Contact Dermatitis. There is no cure. The best anyone with AE is some relief without resorting to Steroida drugs. When I finally got a diagnosos after 60 years I lerned to do different things. I only wear c100% cotton clothing. And because my skin is so sensiitve I bought Egyptian collton sheets, towels and washclothes. I only use natural body, hair, dish and laundry products. I can only find this in one store. I do not want to see ash, tar or alcohol in any product I touch. I also use a OTC children's liquid anti-histamine syruo. Gold Bond anti-itch cream. Aquaphor is a new OTC cream that work very well for me. I aslouse alcohol free, fragrance free baby wipes to clean the area that is extra itchy before i apply any cream. It helps too. Steroids have terrible side affects. However physicians have been using it to treat infancts with Atopic Eczema for 75 years. When I started this regimine I was awake 24/7 with the itch until I was exhausted. I was taking 8mg of Medrol per day. That was five years ago. Today I occassionaly take 2mg. Heat and humidity and trees irritate me for some reason. I moved north to a house that is not surrounded by trees. It helps. I also started to use furnace filters that trap bacteria, virus, dust bunnies, smoke, mold spores and more. The filters are not cheap but it brings relief since I no longer have windows or doors open and therefore do not breathe mold spores. I don't know what it means, or why it works, but I know it works for me. Most family doctors do not see Atopic Eczema in a lifetime of practice. This is why I spent most of my life in misery every summer. Yes, I still itch in the winter, but it not nearly as vicious a cycle as in the summer. And yes I have dry skin. The dermatologist said it was a gift from my mother and grandmother who had allergies but not a skin disease. Good luck to you all. Their is also a new skin disease emerging called "Morgellons"It seems to affect certain DNASo far the hot spots of suffers are in Texas, Florida andSan Francisco
    dboots 96 Replies
    • September 30, 2010
    • 10:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It seems like many people are having this same condition and yet with no professional resolution. It seems that if this many people have it, it is a condition that should be well known by now. Anyway, I too have the same thing and it has bothered me for about 3 weeks. For a long time, I have had this happen on an infrequent basis, here and there, but lately it is every day, and I itch all the time from it. I take a medication that is known to cause a serious rash that can appear of the drug levels get too high in the liver, so needless to say, that was my first was my first worry, but now, I know it isn't that, so I'm back to square one. I have researched many skin infections and irritations to fine mine, but to no avail. It seems to be close sometimes, but not exactly what I am experiencing. If anyone gets the right answers, please make sure to post it.Thank you, and good luck with all the itching!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2010
    • 11:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you ever figure it out? I have this problem now too. A few days ago it was my calves; then my calves and arms; then my arms and thighs yesterday, and then today its arms legs tummy and neck. if i scratch, little bumps appear where i was scratching, in various small sizes and random patterns. so weird!! i took benedryl tonight; we'll see if it helps.I have the same problems, no pumps, then I itch like something bit me or pulls my hair.Then the bumps would appear after itching..... and it comes and goes...So confused, hard to be relaxed do to this.Please help anyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2010
    • 01:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problems, no pumps, then I itch like something bit me or pulls my hair.Then the bumps would appear after itching..... and it comes and goes...So confused, hard to be relaxed do to this. Please help anyone. Okay, so basically we all must be experiencing some form of being allergic to something either in our food or environment or perhaps bothof having allergic reaction type of itching of an immune system response?? This itching has to be some form of an allergic reaction response from our immune systems of an inflammatory response, right? Shouldn't our dermatologistsbe thinking we are become allergic to something and try and test forit or is it become the norm to put a label on it like something theyreally can't point a finger at anything being a specific only instead aninspecific like an atopic skin copndition???? http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/eczema_atopic_dermatitis.htmlThe word "atopic" describes conditions that occur when someone is overly sensitive to allergens in their environment such as pollens, molds, dust, animal dander, and certain foods. How did we become over senstitive out of the blue? I mean we aren'tinfants or children We are adults So something has changed inour food and/or our environments that our body's/brains are perceivingas a NEW ALLERGEN TO OUR IMMUNE SYSTEMS and acts accordinglyof releasing stress like hormones Wireless's supposely non-ionizing energy of electromagnetic fields are emerging as a new environmental factorthat are capable of producing stress proteins to be released inour systmes of our DNA becoming damaged of hypersensitive Hypersensitive = over sensitive But then again, it could be something in our food as a whole lotof the population is experiencing reflux acid type symptoms And reflux acid type symptoms can also be considered as aform of allergic reaction. Histamine and serotonin are knownto release during allergic type reactions of inducing an inflammatoryresponse http://www.answers.com/topic/histamineHistamine triggers the inflammatory response. As part of an immune response to foreign pathogens, histamine is produced by basophils and by mast cells found in nearby connective tissues http://www.answers.com/topic/mast-cellconnective tissue cell that contains histamine and heparin and serotonin which are released in allergic reactions or in response to injury or inflammationLarge cells, often capable of amoeboid movement, found in connective and fatty tissue. They release substances such as leukotrienes histamine and heparin during allergic reactions and the inflammation response. I also experience dizziness, andsome form of what they call those acid reflux symptoms I also experience some form of my throat becoming smaller of perceivingit narrowing in some manner Way too often when I swallow a pill orpills I perceive it's imprint in my throat of thinking some pill got stuck Throat always feels the congestion at the back of my throat all year long now, but what breaks free when I try to cough it up, the piecesare really small I remember my mother experiencing different levels of thesame before she passed 2 years ago She also was experiencing thisitching too cause she would calll me into her room just to itch herunder her thighs and her legs The last year of her life, I had to keep her nails clipped close just soshe wouldn't making herself bleed, she was scratching her arms orother areas of her body that much When a person is bedridden,they have a hospital bed Most hospital beds sheets are white Red spots would show up on her sheets when I rolled her from sideto side to change her, bathe her, put lotion on her, change herposition, etc so I would go lookingfor what was bleeding and I realized she was scratching herselfand causing spots to bleed Now the same is happening to me My scratching back then was mostly just my extremititys of legs andarms, and trying times concerning the tops of my feet itchingout of control along with my lower legs Now I am experiencing the itching in all the places she was itching on her body What aren't our dermatologist's stopping themselvesto say hey let's do the allergy testing It was like 50 plus pin *****s to the back at once 25 plus years ago, if I remember correctly Anyone had a recent test? I wonder how many pin *****s to theback at once takes place nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago?? Are they attempting to test less substances at once compared to20-30 yrs or attempting to test a lot more at once like 200 or moreat once??? Are we all experiencing some form of allergic reactions?? So what new allergen is invading our bodies causing this muchdistress of SOS signals to go off in our bodies??? http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/allergies/allergy.html?tracking=P_RelatedArticleAn allergy is an overreaction of the immune system to a substance that's harmless to most people. But in someone with an allergy, the body's immune system treats the substance (called an allergen) as an invader and reacts inappropriately, resulting in symptoms that can be anywhere from annoying to possibly harmful to the person.In an attempt to protect the body, the immune system of the allergic person produces antibodies called immunoglobulin E (IgE). Those antibodies then cause mast cells and basophils (allergy cells in the body) to release chemicals, including histamine, into the bloodstream to defend against the allergen "invader." It's the release of these chemicals that causes allergic reactions, affecting a person's eyes, nose, throat, lungs, skin, or gastrointestinal tract as the body attempts to rid itself of the invading allergen. Future exposure to that same allergen (things like nuts or pollen that you can be allergic to) will trigger this allergic response again. This means every time the person eats that particular food or is exposed to that particular allergen, he or she will have an allergic reaction.
    dboots 96 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 10:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also been getting these bumps on my forearms, biceps, legs chest/stomach, and thighs. I have yet to figure out what it was, I first thought it was an allergy to detergents, but after changing and washing everything I realized it wasn't. I also thought it may be bed bugs or some sort of mite, but after checking for any traces, it was not. Both my girlfriend and I have this and have no idea where it has come from. We are both vegetarian, and we live together. She first got it and then shortly after, I did. We have tried some over the counter allergy medications but they only mild it and make it less irritable for a while. I have yet to figure out what it may be, but after these past few months of dealing with this, I need answers. So far I have got none. If anyone finds out what this may be, please post immediately.i am having this problem in all the same areas and im going crazy, i am a virgin so it cant really be a sexuall disease i have checked for bed bugs and things and cant find anything. Did you ever find out anything?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2011
    • 02:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i am having this problem in all the same areas and im going crazy, i am a virgin so it cant really be a sexuall disease i have checked for bed bugs and things and cant find anything. Did you ever find out anything? Do you also experience the release of tiny air bubbles from your bladdersometimes preceding the itching episodes at all?
    dboots 96 Replies
    • February 12, 2011
    • 03:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same thing for years now.. Google : dermographism a form of physical urticaria .. And u will find the answers to your questions!!!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement