Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Twitches, Jolts, Jaw/Cheek Pain, Excess Saliva:

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 11, 2009
  • 03:46 PM

Twitches, Jolts, Jaw/Cheek Pain, Excess Saliva:

Doctors haven't been able to diagnois me due to unusual symptoms. Is anyone familiar with these symtoms? at rest muscle twitches and body jolts, jaw-cheek pain, cold mouth, tingling tongue, excess saliva, and multiple joint-tendon popping and pain.

Sept 07 1'colon removed due to pre-cancerous mass (coincidense that the next problems start 2 weeks after surgury?? Doctors cannot relate the two)
Oct 07 stabbing/burning pain at base of skull with neck and shoulder pain that popped 300+ times a day for 4 months (tried with no luck: chiropractors, physical therapy, ibroprofen, hot and cold packs, physiatric dr gave oral steroid, neck x-ray normal, brain and neck MRI were normal)
Jan 08 to present - body jolts started (along with random screams, which happened hundreds of times a day and now only happens with the at-rest muscle twtiches and jolts), (EMG done on right arm was normal, tried chiropracter again, all blood work (including lymes 2 times) were normal, 2 more steroid shots - no help.)
Then the muscle twitches, involuntary movements, tongue tingling and jaw pain started (neurologist had me try neurontin=no help and did chest x-ray=normal, blood showed high inflammation which they retested with normal results months later)
Over 2008 I seen a couple neurologist who could not diagnois me. Oct 08, my knee started doing the exact same thing as my neck initially did (pop/pain hundreds of times a day with heat increasing pain), and has lasted the last 4 months. They say I have bursitis in knee but cannot get it in the neck. (This may or maynot have no impact on diagnois.)
I recently have also gotten excess saliva quite often, also a very cold tongue or mouth. Less severe is I also feel pressure in my ear(s) and have a soar heart sometimes. My doctor looked at ear and heart=normal. I have been taking Celexa for the two months to see if symptoms change which they have not - I tried telling them it wasn't physcological but have to prove it I guess.

I don't know if a ENT Dr would be a good idea. Maybe do a EEG? MRA? Spinal Tap? Other??

Dr. thinks its not Parkinsons because I am only 40 and I havent been rolling my finger/thumb together. They do not think it is Epilespy because when I have a body JOLT, it is only a second, I am fully aware of it, and it makes it wide awake, not sleepy. They do not think it is Tourettes since I have many other odd symptoms. They do not think it is nerve damage (not sure why - because thats what it sounds like to me).

Thank you for listening to my story and would appreciate any feedback you may have on a possible diagnois or what test to have done next.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• is there anyone out there that has had a cold mouth/tongue or throat?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2009
    • 03:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • is there anyone out there that has had a cold mouth/tongue or throat? Well I do!!!!! I have like a menthol taste feeling in mouth and throat. I also have tongue numbness. My mouth goes from being dry to lots of saliva. I have many other symptoms, including sore jaw and cheeks and ears!!!!
    daisykf 21 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I do not use a cell phone and live in the country - not near antennas or wi-fi, so I feel I could rule that out. thanks for the input though.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 10:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Twitches, Jolts, Jaw/Cheek Pain, Excess Saliva:Doctors haven't been able to diagnois me due to unusual symptoms. Is anyone familiar with these symtoms? at rest muscle twitches and body jolts, jaw-cheek pain, cold mouth, tingling tongue, excess saliva, and multiple joint-tendon popping and pain.Sept 07 1'colon removed due to pre-cancerous mass (coincidense that the next problems start 2 weeks after surgury?? Doctors cannot relate the two)Oct 07 stabbing/burning pain at base of skull with neck and shoulder pain that popped 300+ times a day for 4 months (tried with no luck: chiropractors, physical therapy, ibroprofen, hot and cold packs, physiatric dr gave oral steroid, neck x-ray normal, brain and neck MRI were normal)Jan 08 to present - body jolts started (along with random screams, which happened hundreds of times a day and now only happens with the at-rest muscle twtiches and jolts), (EMG done on right arm was normal, tried chiropracter again, all blood work (including lymes 2 times) were normal, 2 more steroid shots - no help.)Then the muscle twitches, involuntary movements, tongue tingling and jaw pain started (neurologist had me try neurontin=no help and did chest x-ray=normal, blood showed high inflammation which they retested with normal results months later)Over 2008 I seen a couple neurologist who could not diagnois me. Oct 08, my knee started doing the exact same thing as my neck initially did (pop/pain hundreds of times a day with heat increasing pain), and has lasted the last 4 months. They say I have bursitis in knee but cannot get it in the neck. (This may or maynot have no impact on diagnois.) I recently have also gotten excess saliva quite often, also a very cold tongue or mouth. Less severe is I also feel pressure in my ear(s) and have a soar heart sometimes. My doctor looked at ear and heart=normal. I have been taking Celexa for the two months to see if symptoms change which they have not - I tried telling them it wasn't physcological but have to prove it I guess.I don't know if a ENT Dr would be a good idea. Maybe do a EEG? MRA? Spinal Tap? Other??Dr. thinks its not Parkinsons because I am only 40 and I havent been rolling my finger/thumb together. They do not think it is Epilespy because when I have a body JOLT, it is only a second, I am fully aware of it, and it makes it wide awake, not sleepy. They do not think it is Tourettes since I have many other odd symptoms. They do not think it is nerve damage (not sure why - because thats what it sounds like to me).Thank you for listening to my story and would appreciate any feedback you may have on a possible diagnois or what test to have done next.myoclonic jerks. and possibly a spinal tap.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 11:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Youngin - do you know what the spinal tap would test for?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 11:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I have some thoughts for you. I suffer from narcolepsy, meniere's syndrome, fibromyalgia, numerous allergies, and other issues.Your body jerks are likely neurological. It sounds like your brain cells are firing for no apparent reason. I have your kind of jerking issue, a lot when I was younger, but nearly always at nighttime. Narcolepsy is a neurological condition. I am not suggesting you have narcolepsy but I am suggesting the body jerks are coming from your brain sending jolts of electricity into your body in inappropriate ways or at inappropriate times. Also, do some research on involuntary limb movement to see if any of the symptoms ring a bell or two for you.Your jaw and cheek pain could be from your ear. I have had Meniere's for many many years and had to nearly press an ENT to the wall to get him to refer me to a otologist (a real ear doctor). If you ingest a lot of salt or salty food, this excess salt builds up fluid in your ear. Then your inner ear can cause dizziness, vertigo, earache, neck pain, shoulder pain, jaw pain, and cheek pain. This condition might also cause excess saliva which I also have. Your jaw and cheek pain could also be dental related.Check for allergy related connections to all your issues. A real deal allergist can give you epidermal tests to test you for allergies. Scratch tests are OK but you have to get to an allergist that really knows what he/she is doing. I had five allergy tests from 3 or 4 allergists before I got to an allergist who did the epidermal test where he actually injected allergen under my skin rather than just scratching me. You might try Claritin to see if Claritin can help. However, if I take too much Claritin I get the jerks you describe, so allergy or reaction to something may be a lead for you. An allergy can occur to anything in your environment you eat, breath, or touch.Unfortunately, you will liikely have to doctor shop and do your own research on the web. Doctors are good at solving one issue. When you or I walk in with many issues, doctors do not often know what to do.Keeping an extensive diary of what you eat, what you do, where you are during the day, what your symptoms are during the day/night, and the time you eat, and the time of of your symptom appearance is crucial. Keeping a minute by minute diary with a time log will give you clues to solve your mystery. The more records you keep, the more likely you are to be able to unravel whatever is going on.You must resolve to take care of your issue yourself. Doctors can help but you are the main driving force to get your issues under control. I would suggest you read a book called "Cancer Conquerors" by Greg Anderson. I am not suggesting you have cancer. However, the book can well change your life and how you approach some of the troubles you have.Keep in mind, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.
    HowdeeDoodee 1 Replies
    • February 19, 2009
    • 00:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • May 2009 - I was diagnoised with Cushing's Disease.(high coritsol level - pituitary gland tumor)Some of my symptoms were typical, most are not.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. Sorry you are having all of these problems. I have a teen daughter with wierd symtoms such as severe nerve pain (cannot touch her), leg jerks, head jerks and arm twitches. All neurologic exams are normal. Hers started on the same evening after a colonoscopy. We think it had something to do with the anestesia (Propofol) Very frustrating, doctors say it is in her head, we know it is not. Have you checked out the anestesia or have you gotten any reports from your surgery? Her symtoms started 8 hours after her proceedure. Good luck.Twitches, Jolts, Jaw/Cheek Pain, Excess Saliva:Doctors haven't been able to diagnois me due to unusual symptoms. Is anyone familiar with these symtoms? at rest muscle twitches and body jolts, jaw-cheek pain, cold mouth, tingling tongue, excess saliva, and multiple joint-tendon popping and pain.Sept 07 1'colon removed due to pre-cancerous mass (coincidense that the next problems start 2 weeks after surgury?? Doctors cannot relate the two)Oct 07 stabbing/burning pain at base of skull with neck and shoulder pain that popped 300+ times a day for 4 months (tried with no luck: chiropractors, physical therapy, ibroprofen, hot and cold packs, physiatric dr gave oral steroid, neck x-ray normal, brain and neck MRI were normal)Jan 08 to present - body jolts started (along with random screams, which happened hundreds of times a day and now only happens with the at-rest muscle twtiches and jolts), (EMG done on right arm was normal, tried chiropracter again, all blood work (including lymes 2 times) were normal, 2 more steroid shots - no help.)Then the muscle twitches, involuntary movements, tongue tingling and jaw pain started (neurologist had me try neurontin=no help and did chest x-ray=normal, blood showed high inflammation which they retested with normal results months later)Over 2008 I seen a couple neurologist who could not diagnois me. Oct 08, my knee started doing the exact same thing as my neck initially did (pop/pain hundreds of times a day with heat increasing pain), and has lasted the last 4 months. They say I have bursitis in knee but cannot get it in the neck. (This may or maynot have no impact on diagnois.) I recently have also gotten excess saliva quite often, also a very cold tongue or mouth. Less severe is I also feel pressure in my ear(s) and have a soar heart sometimes. My doctor looked at ear and heart=normal. I have been taking Celexa for the two months to see if symptoms change which they have not - I tried telling them it wasn't physcological but have to prove it I guess.I don't know if a ENT Dr would be a good idea. Maybe do a EEG? MRA? Spinal Tap? Other??Dr. thinks its not Parkinsons because I am only 40 and I havent been rolling my finger/thumb together. They do not think it is Epilespy because when I have a body JOLT, it is only a second, I am fully aware of it, and it makes it wide awake, not sleepy. They do not think it is Tourettes since I have many other odd symptoms. They do not think it is nerve damage (not sure why - because thats what it sounds like to me).Thank you for listening to my story and would appreciate any feedback you may have on a possible diagnois or what test to have done next.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement