Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Boil/Cyst....On left upper thigh???...

Posted In: Skin conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 7, 2006
  • 05:28 PM

...Thought it was a routine spot, initially & attempted squeezing whilst in bed last night, anyway I woke this morning to see that it had gone all purple but now appears to look more like lump & the area surrounding is red & sore as is the lump sore too now, so what d'ya think?...

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• ...Thought it was a routine spot, initially & attempted squeezing whilst in bed last night, anyway I woke this morning to see that it had gone all purple but now appears to look more like lump & the area surrounding is red & sore as is the lump sore too now, so what d'ya think?...Sounds just like what I had a couple of weeks ago...I noticed what looked like a pimple around a follicle and tried squeezing it and noticed next night while shaving that it was a lot larger...my bright idea was to try to squeeze it again...it only made it worse...I drew a circle around the swollen area and woke to find it had increased in size...I put perozide on it and left it alone for a couple of days and it gradually decreased in size..now it's back to the pimple like thing.My self diagnosis was a boil.Hope this helps...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 03:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please tell me what perozide is and where I can get it?I have exactly the same problem except it is causing me immense pain at times, sometimes it feels like I have glass in my thigh. I basically noticed a red round patach on my thigh back in february. Its since become darker and more purple and is slightly raised. Its quite painful and I really want it to go away. My doctor said it is an infected hair follicle and is a boil. She gave me a course of anti-biotics to use back in March, the boil decreased but has since come back and is hurting!... I want to try this perozide stuff as Ive just come back from the doctor again and they are asking me to take yet another course of anti-biotics!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think that was suppose to read PEROXIDE, not perozide.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2008
    • 04:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Show it to a doctor, you will need antibiotics... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2008
    • 06:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds just like what I had a couple of weeks ago...I noticed what looked like a pimple around a follicle and tried squeezing it and noticed next night while shaving that it was a lot larger...my bright idea was to try to squeeze it again...it only made it worse...I drew a circle around the swollen area and woke to find it had increased in size...I put perozide on it and left it alone for a couple of days and it gradually decreased in size..now it's back to the pimple like thing.My self diagnosis was a boil.Hope this helps...U guys are lucky mine is huge!! Its about 2 softballs put togeter and it on my upper left thigh... It hurts very badly andI mught need surgery am only 14 and i am very scared...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 02:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You need to have your doctor culture the stuff inside the bump because it sounds exactly like what my mother had and what my 1 yr old just recovered from - a MRSA infection - Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus - it starts out very small like an ingrown hair and it gets bigger and more painful very very quickly. This stuff can be quite dangerous if not treated - my one yr old had to have surgery to remove the infection from his leg and it was very deep. It grows down into your body really fast and needs to be treated immediatly - it's kinda scary actually, it is immune to many of the antibiotics out there, only a few can still kill it. It may not be MRSA - but please have your doc check for it - don't take this lightly, if it is getting bigger or especially dark and hard - it could be growing under your skin - the bigger it grows the deeper they have to cut to get it out. This can get really painful so please get your doc to culture the infection just to be on the safe side cause this infection is spreading to everyone and it can be dangerous. I 'm honestly not trying to scare you ( so sorry if I have), I'm just trying to help b/c it does sound just like MRSA and I just want to be sure it's not for your sake. Hope it gets better soon!
    trixylyn 3 Replies
    • January 6, 2009
    • 03:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Get into a bath as hot as you can stand it, as many times a day as possible. This will draw the boil out. If not in the bath, continue to use hot compresses. With the baths and compresses, you should soon see a whitish head forming on the boil/abcess. DO NOT attempt to squeeze or pick at it. Do NOT use any ointments of any kind on it.When the white head forms, you can get back into a very hot bath, and the boil should open and release the pus. Make sure you carefully wash the area with anti-bacterial soap and dry it well. Then you can soak a gauze pad with hydrogen peroxide and water, and place on the wound and hold in place with tape if you need to get dressed. Otherwise, try and leave it open to the air so it can dry and heal.IF the boil continues to fill and drain, you will need to see a doctor for some antibiotics, as it may not heal on it's own. A doctor can also lance the boil once the white head forms, but only then.Continue to use antibacterial soap in the area, even after it's all healed up to try and prevent further occurances.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2009
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a similar boil... at first i was unsure if i was a tick, its sore to touch but then i decided it is purple in colour. not sure on what action to take really :/softball size scares me
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2010
    • 01:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • U guys are lucky mine is huge!! Its about 2 softballs put togeter and it on my upper left thigh... It hurts very badly andI mught need surgery am only 14 and i am very scared...I had a boil/abscess on my back that started out looking like a big sore pimple, I had surgery - incision and drainage to let all the pus out and it healed after that. Surgery was quick and it felt so much better after got a lil scar. Oh and dont squeeze it makes it worse I heard.
  • have been fighting this for 3 years. It gets big enough that it ruptures on its own. Feels much better but ALWAYS returns. My doctor put me on antibiotics. At first they seemed to help, but looking back now I think it had just run its course for that time. I broke down and went into the dermatologist. He says I need to wait until the size decreases. He has diagnosed it as a cyst. He doesn't know how or why I get them or how or why I got it on my upper/inner thigh. Ultimately he has to remove the entire cyst. The cyst has a cell wall that also has to be removed. I look forward to finally getting rid of this thing. I am pretty tired of it. 3 years and hundreds of dollars in doctors bills/prescriptions, here is my summary: Antibiotics didn't work, having it drained didn't work. Hopefully removing it will. The 1" incision can't hurt as bad as it does when the cyst is enflamed. OUCH. Don't bother with a regular doctor, just go straight to a dermatologist as they will recognize immediately what you have.
  • ...Thought it was a routine spot, initially & attempted squeezing whilst in bed last night, anyway I woke this morning to see that it had gone all purple but now appears to look more like lump & the area surrounding is red & sore as is the lump sore too now, so what d'ya think?...Try using garlic oil on a cotton ball and tape it to the sore. 3- 4 cloves of garlic are equal to one adult dose of anitbiotics. This will bring the puss to a head and it will easly be released. Do this over and over until the sore begins to heal, which it will. This will also begin to bring the pain in control as the puss and toxins are released from the head of the sore. You can get garlic oil from any herbal store. My daughter had one of these and it works great. Also, this is usually due to toxins in the body that are not being released through the normal channels i.e. the bowels. If you are not having 3-5 bowel movements a day you are contstipated. This makes the blood stream toxic and the body tries to detox through the skin which is anouther avenue for detoxifiaction. Eat more veggies and fruit, less meat and sugar, white flour, processed food and milk and you will get better results as well. I don't think bacteria has an immunity to garlic so this is a safe route to take and no matter what else you are doing this will help.
    herbal cure 3 Replies
    • January 29, 2012
    • 08:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement