Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

weird left sided stomach discomfort, any ideas?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: tatieirregular
  • January 29, 2009
  • 05:10 PM

hi, i hope someone can give me some help. here is my story...winter 2007 i started getting this strange discomfort in my lower left side near my stomach, it sort of felt all bloated on one side and heavy and uncomfortable. so just before christmas i ended up at the emergancy doctors and they said it was a water infection that becuase had been left for a while had backed up to my kidneys, so they gave me some anti-biotics and i felt rubbish all christmas then after christmas i still had most of the same symptoms so i went back to the doctors who did some tests and internal examinations and they said it might be something to do with my overies so they sent me for a ultrasound scan, which didn't show anything but i started to feel better after this and my symtoms went away compleatly, by this time it was about march 2008, fast forward to christmas 2008 i start getting some similar symptoms to what i had before but not as bad, now its jan and i have all the symptoms back again, my lower left side feels huge and heavy but it doesnt look swollen and sometimes it feels a bit tight and i get stitch when i walk sometimes. i just wondered if anyone had experienced anything like this or knew what it might be? i don't want to have to go back to the doctors again for them to be as clueless as they were before. thanks for any help! xxx

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I had lower left stomach area discomfort. Felt like their was pressure there the size of a silver dollar. Felt very crappy. Went to see a Gastrointestinal Doctor. He told me its not my stomach but my large colon. He told me to eat a lot of fiber like Bran cereal and whole wheat bread not toasted. I ate about four bowls of bran that day and that night I was passing gas all night long.The next morning I almost felt normal for first time in a long while.Could be that during Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday that we eat to much and get stuff up?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a rare problem called hereditary angioedema that sounds like what is going on with you. Try here: www.haea.org
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you so much for your reply! i took a little look at the link but i don't think it is that as i havent experienced any actual swelling, i just feel like my lower left side is huge, but its just the same as my right. i just feel like theres something wrong and its just a bit strange that this time last year it was exactly the same, maybe i'm allergic to winter! thanks again for your help, xxx
    tatieirregular 3 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 10:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Has there been any change in bowel habits of any nature and have you experienced a fever at any point in time relative to the episodes of discomfort? Pain or sensory abnormalities in the area of the left upper and lower quadrant can sometimes be due to diverticulitis if other symptoms are present. If the heaviness is compounded by the waistband of your garments or yout belt, then it may warrant a look at the descending colon via a CT scan with contrast. This is also, however, a disease that we tend to see infrequently in patients beyond the age of 40 and more predominantly in the elderly. In the absence of bowel changes, episodic fever and radicular discomfort at the left quadrant, then diverticulitis would not be likely. Irritable Bowel Syndrome could also be a possibility here, but likewise, there would need to be evidence of change in bowel habits. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 11:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, i hope someone can give me some help. here is my story...winter 2007 i started getting this strange discomfort in my lower left side near my stomach, it sort of felt all bloated on one side and heavy and uncomfortable. so just before christmas i ended up at the emergancy doctors and they said it was a water infection that becuase had been left for a while had backed up to my kidneys, so they gave me some anti-biotics and i felt rubbish all christmas then after christmas i still had most of the same symptoms so i went back to the doctors who did some tests and internal examinations and they said it might be something to do with my overies so they sent me for a ultrasound scan, which didn't show anything but i started to feel better after this and my symtoms went away compleatly, by this time it was about march 2008, fast forward to christmas 2008 i start getting some similar symptoms to what i had before but not as bad, now its jan and i have all the symptoms back again, my lower left side feels huge and heavy but it doesnt look swollen and sometimes it feels a bit tight and i get stitch when i walk sometimes. i just wondered if anyone had experienced anything like this or knew what it might be? i don't want to have to go back to the doctors again for them to be as clueless as they were before. thanks for any help! xxx What type of ultrasound did they do? Did they do a lower abdominal or a transvaginal ultrasound? Both? What are your periods like? Are they regular? Do you have heavy periods with lots of bleeding? Do you have any pain associated with your periods?Are you on birth control, including iud? What are your bowel movements like? How frequent? Do you have any pain associated before, during or after a bowel movement? Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 11:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Try googling Diverticula disease.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2009
    • 00:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you so much for all your replys. Diverticula disease sounds like it could be it but i've not noticed any changes in my bowel movements and i haven't been constipated, i have been waking up slightly feverous though. my periods have also been fine i take the contoseptive pill which i've taken for about 6 years and not had any problems with so far. hope this information help, thanks again for all your help, xxx
    tatieirregular 3 Replies
    • January 31, 2009
    • 11:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you so much for all your replys. Diverticula disease sounds like it could be it but i've not noticed any changes in my bowel movements and i haven't been constipated, i have been waking up slightly feverous though. my periods have also been fine i take the contoseptive pill which i've taken for about 6 years and not had any problems with so far. hope this information help, thanks again for all your help, xxx sorry i missed some answer to some questions you asked, the ultrasound was transvaginal. my periods were really heavy and painful, thats why i went on the pill, i get the odd bit of pain and my periods are much shorter and lighter now, thankfully! and i have a bowel movement usually about twice a day. hope this helps, thanks, xxx
    tatieirregular 3 Replies
    • January 31, 2009
    • 00:59 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement